Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m not usually a savage, but when a feline sized creature can condemn my home, the gloves are off…
View Quote

That's actually one of the more peaceful ways to euthanize raccoons that I've seen. I saw an old farmer kill one with a ball peen hammer, and it wasn't quick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OP have you considered live trapping a coyote or two and letting them go in the attic? That should take care of the raccoon problem.

And coyotes are basically free.
View Quote

This. This is perhaps the most fun I’ve had inside my own head in years. I’m writing the screenplay as I type this.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
DON'T SHOOT THEM INSIDE THE HOUSE

"Have a heart" traps.

trap them and kill them outside

leftover BBQ rib bones zip tied to the inside rear of the trap work well.

fix the opening

check with your local game warden, you may need a nuisance permit, and in some areas it's not legal to relocate them

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We've tried a live trap with various bait, but they seem to avoid it.
View Quote

fried chicken
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
One way exclusion trap on the entrance they are using.  They have to leave to go get food, they have no choice.   They then simply cannot get back in.  These traps exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. This is perhaps the most fun I’ve had inside my own head in years. I’m writing the screenplay as I type this.
View Quote

Let me know if you need ideas for what to release to get rid of the coyotes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't read past the title and had to reply.

12 loaded with rock salt.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Have a heart" traps.

fix the opening

check with your local game warden, you may need a nuisance permit, and in some areas it's not legal to relocate them

View Quote

Not alive anyways. I LOL'd  at the poster that "relocated" them to a 7-11 dumpster.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not exactly. They are climbing up a rain gutter downspout and accessing the attic through a hole in the eaves at the edge of the roof.
View Quote

Possibly look to live trap, or boobytrap, this rain gutter downspout area? Or square away this hole that they access.
.22 magnum..
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
You’re (she’s) going to want to rip open and replace all the insulation and wall boards where they have been shitting and pissing on.
Raccoons are nasty filthy creatures that should be exterminated with extreme prejudice.

A friend had them living in his attic. They eventually removed about a dozen from the one or two he though he had in there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
They are very, very tough animals. I've seen one take many 9mm (124gr+P GDHP and 135gr Critical Duty) and 5.56 rounds (75gr hp and 62gr federal fusion), like 15-20, including head shots and just not die. Skunk are also pretty tough.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
22lr Supressed
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Tuna and have a heart traps do wonders on the ranch. I've trapped and released a half dozen in a weekend.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Like someone said earlier.
They are quite attracted to canned cat food.
I had trouble getting one that was fucking with my chickens.

Live trap with a can of cat food.
Hand trap with tin foil and marshmellows were both set up.
He liked the cat food better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My Gamo Varmint Killer takes care of them, no problem.  Right through the skull.  I would suggest hollow point pellets to help ensure the job gets done, though.
I would also suggest catching them in live traps, then taking the traps outside and shooting them.
View Quote

Or you could just get a trash can or 55 gallon drum of water and baptize them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or you could just get a trash can or 55 gallon drum of water and baptize them.
View Quote

Pen all of the raccoons in an empty septic tank with only a water feeder.

Come back in 30 days and save the last one standing.

Release that one in the attic.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Lure it outside with food.  Take care of it outside your house.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
If you shoot at them in the attic, you will end up with holes in your roof.

Ask me how I know.

Conibear size 330 traps are the answer.

Nothing survives a Conibear.

Although I did once have a racoon in my attic try to steal a Conibear that had a squirrel trapped in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My only experience in killing raccoon is from my young life spent coon hunting with my uncle. Dispatching there was putting a high velocity .22 projectile in between the reflective eyes. Quick CNS destruction.

They are extremely tough animals for their size.

Saw my cousin climb a tree to knock one off a limb with a 1" thick sapling trunk. Plan A proved impossible. Plan B was immediate self defense when the pissed off boar grabbed his stick and started down it to bite Cuz. Cuz let go of the stick....the boar fell almost 40'. (It sounded like a full hot water bottle hitting the ground) On its rebound up from the ground, the three hounds lit into him. He somehow squeezed/fought out of that ball of fangs, bounded away 30' to climb another tree, up and away from his tormentors. Uncle was going to shoot him, but seeing what he'd lived through, Mr Badass was spared.

You don't want to discharge a gun in the dwelling. Buy or borrow some large Havahart live traps. Drag the trapped critter outside, then put a bullet in it's brain (or relocate it). If the former, i suggest a HV .22 or larger. They deserve a humane death.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a great excuse to buy a Barrett.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Although I did once have a racoon in my attic try to steal a Conibear that had a squirrel trapped in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/conibear-trap-330wolf6_photobucket_jpg-3012779.JPG
View Quote

Never had any 330s. 220s already scare the shit out of me. (I use a scizzor tool because I'm scardey of them.)

I did see a critter survive a 220. Lil Bro set a couple in a beaver run on his boss's lake.  We go and find a huge snapper in one. Trap is directly on its neck. Still alive. We got him out and he plodded away after trying to bite us.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I've honestly not tried it, but know a guy who claims a popular fly bait drops them within a few feet.

We had some coon trouble this year.
Those things aren't staying in her attic, they're going out to eat etc.
We got some dog proof coon traps and put mini marshmallows in them. Worked great! Much better than the live trap cages IMO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Live trap, cheap canned cat food.
View Quote

This.

More importantly find and seal up the entry route in a way that they cannot breach.

If you don't do that first you will be stuck with the problem.

ETA: you have to secure the can of catfood down in the trap where they cannot reach it and so they cannot move it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"Have a heart" traps.

fix the opening

View Quote

This works surprisingly well. Over the years, a friend trapped over 50 raccoons by cable tying a chicken bone to the bottom of a live trap.

As a bonus, if being trapped makes the coon too nervous to eat, you get to reuse the bone.

I was skeptical until I tried it and had good results on several occasions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a family living in the attic of my garage. I turned a light on in the attic and played a radio fairly loud non stop. It took two days and they packed their shit up and moved out. Maybe I got lucky, but it worked and couldn't have been easier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#26]
.338 Lapua. Guaranteed one shot kills.

Last one I shot with a 22LR took 3 shots to die.

I recommend traps, close up the holes, put the trap in the attic, empty trap of raccoons regularly.

They probably go out at night. Find their main entrance, seal that one up at 3AM, seal up all other entrances the day before. Most of the pack will be out scavenging.

You don't want a wounded one crawling off to die in some corner you can't reach. Talk about a smell.

You are smarter than a raccoon?
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm of a mind that anything capable of taking one down even somewhat cleanly in realistic circumstances is going to fuck the house up if you miss.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Spear gun.  Easy retrieval out of the attic and you can now spear fish in your favorite pond or neighborhood pool.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
They are afraid of fire. Burn them out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/conibear-trap-330wolf6_photobucket_jpg-3012779.JPG
View Quote

The only reasonable answer. Simple and effective.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Never had any 330s. 220s already scare the shit out of me. (I use a scizzor tool because I'm scardey of them.)

I did see a critter survive a 220. Lil Bro set a couple in a beaver run on his boss's lake.  We go and find a huge snapper in one. Trap is directly on its neck. Still alive. We got him out and he plodded away after trying to bite us.
View Quote

A 220 will work. 110 might on the younger ones.
I use 220’s.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

View Quote

Oh my god that part made laugh so fucking hard for some reason
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I would not shoot one in the attic.  I shot one in the head on my back porch with a 22 pistol.  

The raccoon had a seizure and flopped around like a break dancer for what seemed like forever.  After it was over there was blood splattered from corner to corner.

Just trap them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Live trap and haul their ass away, I did this with a squirrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nice! That would be perfect even if I just use it to off them after live-trapping. Which model is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finished this last week. It will penetrate a Palm tree through the bark and make it bleed at 30 feet. (tree is coming down anyways)
17.75 grain domed pellet is on the heavy side for a .22 air pistol, but it hits hard and is accurate. The suppressor works great, better than I thought it would, the 14.6 inch barrel bumped the velocity up a good 100fps also.
So far I have under $200 in to it and it's fun to shoot. I think it will dispatch a trash panda in an attic fairly easy with a head shot. If it doesn't then it's Jabberwocky time !

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20231020_121757_jpg-3012641.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20231029_133100_jpg-3012642.JPG

Nice! That would be perfect even if I just use it to off them after live-trapping. Which model is that?

Crosman 2240.
Got a birthday notification from Midway and it was here before my birthday. 80 bucks delivered.
Got the suppressor, barrel and optic mounts from Buck Rail, the skeleton stock on ebay (new) and had the reflex sight sitting in a box unused.
So maybe a tad over 200 now and I  put the brakes on it unto Christmas. There will be more mods in the future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Allstate TV Ad Raccoon Mayhem
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#37]
ethylene glycol....kidding...
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#38]
A 22 to the brain won't pass through and will kill them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This whole thread couldn't be stupider.  Congrats.
View Quote

70,000 posts since 2006.  You know better than that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, at least bird shot hasn't been mentioned, so there is that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just came in to mention this.

Get poison bird shot OP
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
.460 Weatherby
View Quote

This should be sufficient.  Although you might want to go up to .50 BMG.  Trash pandas are part of the lesser known list of big 6 game animals.  Many hunters consider them more dangerous than a Cape buffalo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blue Buffalo cat food + Pied Piper trap.  Guy at my feed store told me that they couldn't resist that food and he was right.  Caught the little bastard that killed my chicken within a few hours of setting it out.  Pied Piper traps totally worth the price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Have a heart trap, and dump the entire trap into a barrel of water to drown them once caught.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Poison them
View Quote
could way to get rid of all the beneficial predators too. who needs owls, eagles, hawks and the friendly bug controller possums
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]
9mm pistol with heavy grain  bullet.

FFS, you really have to ask?

Get everybody out and away from the house.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Buy a 100.00 ozone generator off Amazon. Turn it on in the attic and be ready to close the holes when they move out.  Don't breathe it your self it's nasty shit
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
could way to get rid of all the beneficial predators too. who needs owls, eagles, hawks and the friendly bug controller possums
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poison them

I was thinking they wouldn't make it back outside
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I laughed out loud when I heard about this on the news. Maybe it works?

One way door
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll add my two cents.  

If you're using cat food as bait in your trap expect to catch other critters. Around here sweet stuff catches the raccoons and everything else stays away.  The blood and musk smell is real, takes a lot of cleaning to make it go away.  

Ive had a few get in the house thru the cat door. A bright LED flashlight absolutely blinds them completely. A sharp little tap on the head with a little league baseball bat knocks them out pretty easy. Grab them by the tail and take it outside. Couple more sharp raps to the head finishes the job with zero blood.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top