Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Father - check
74   -check
wants an AR.

-BUY him a decent AR, I have a feeling you'll get it back someday...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my 74 year old father told me he wants an AR

Father - check
74   -check
wants an AR.

-BUY him a decent AR, I have a feeling you'll get it back someday...

Kind of a dark way to look at it, but you do have a point. OP, could you find out what he wants or doesn't want in a rifle and just give it to him for Christmas?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Get your dad an AR15 as a gift.  I built a nice one for my dad because I knew he wouldn't do it for himself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Sportical was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $450.00.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Academy should have the DPMS Sportactical for $500.  He'll need sights.  Don't let him put an EoTech on it.  

The Sportical was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $450.00.

Yeah - it's gone back up.  Still a decent deal, but not a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like my dad except my dad is 30 years younger than him. Every time he wants to add something on to or try to improve the function of his rifle and how it will or not add function, cost money and all that. I just tell him to wait for me to get off work so we can discuss it and he already has the part ordered then when it doesn't work well, I have to explain to him yeah it was a Chinese POS product that I would have warned you about dad. Now let's discuss spending money on quality shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Order all the parts to assemble one, take them to his place with the needed tools. Pour him a cup of STFU and watch this. Hand him the rifle when finished and say Merry Christmas ya grumpy ol bastage
View Quote

This...unreasonable people can't be reasoned with.  You're just gonna end up beating your head against the wall.  Stop discussing it with him and just build the damn thing for him
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This...unreasonable people can't be reasoned with.  You're just gonna end up beating your head against the wall.  Stop discussing it with him and just build the damn thing for him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Order all the parts to assemble one, take them to his place with the needed tools. Pour him a cup of STFU and watch this. Hand him the rifle when finished and say Merry Christmas ya grumpy ol bastage

"I'm not going to trust that, it was put together by an amateur! Not like the highly trained professionals at the factory!"

Best of luck to you, OP.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
In the past 15 years, I have helped over 30+ Doctors and atleast 40 other Allied Health Professionals pick out and buy AR's, SIG's, AK's, M-14's and even some who bought Class 3 stuff. some of them bought 10-20 of them. they've bought memberships to gun ranges, bought land to build cabins on or built their own ranges. you name it. I know several who have started CCWing every day and have gone on to take some of the best defensive shooting classes available in North America.

they aren't collecting.
they are arming and outfitting their families because they are scared of society and are fearful of the future.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
my dad doesn't like Black Rifles, but adores my Mini-14. I left it with him 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It sounds like he can't be helped.   If he can find a version he likes and sees it in person, how is buying it online bad?
View Quote

People are scared of buying guns online. Not sure why, but I can't get anyone to do it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure....simple.

If you have a milling machine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe just help him do a simple box mag conversion on his SKS?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/034-4.jpg
Sure....simple.

If you have a milling machine.

What's a gunsmith charge to do that $50?

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Last week, my 74 year old father told me he wants an AR. The problem being, he is a price buyer and with the recent terror attacks and holiday shopping he can only find models outside of his price range in stock. He can afford pretty much anything on the market, but he's set on an entry level M&P 15 or Ruger SR556. I offered to help him build him one from parts and a stripped lower, he refused. I also offered to let him order a rifle online from my house (he refuses to have interwebs, also) and pick it up locally. He won't buy without seeing the actual rifle in person.

Today he calls me to complain about every dealer he called or visited still didn't have what he wants. He's impatient and afraid of legislation, so he wants his "as-sault rifle" now. His new plan is to bubba fuck his old SKS. He asked a local dealer about SKS parts and I think the guy tried to explain to my father about 922r and it went over his head. He thinks the man told him they wouldn't fit his gun. If he really wants a tacticool SKS I will help him, but I'd rather figure out a way to convince him to either wait for his gun to come back in stock, or help him assemble a kit.

Has anyone else tried to help a stubborn  (but good) older person with firearm advice?
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Very nice.  It would be better if they left the trigger out as well.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Loan him your AR until one he wants becomes available, at which time he buys it.  He's your father, for Pete's sake.
Don't bubbafuck a good SKS.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#15]
After the last panic I didn't think there was any first time buyers left
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top