BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah it does.  Some little underpowered shitbox going around a corner at 10/10thsis WAY more fun that some big bloated car with electronic steering and 500hp.  In the latter its, try to slow down all that mass, trundle around the corner, mash the throttle and let the torque pull you out. For me that gets boring fast.  I'd rather have the small light car with great steering that you can bang off the rev limiter and hoon around like a total piece of shit but your are only going 50mph so nobody is in danger.
View Quote

Conversely, being stuck behind Grandma doing 40 in a 55 and slowing down to 15 in any curve because your 100hp shitbox can't pass her in time in any of the passing zones gets pretty old pretty fast.

Time and place for everything. I've got a 1974 125cc motorcycle making single digit hp numbers. It might make 10-12 if I took the time to finally rebuild it, but as it stands it's top speed is 50mph on a slightly downhill road with zero wind. There is a roundabout near me that has great visibility and if it's clear you can pin the throttle and do a loop or two before exiting. But it's quite literally the definition of "full throttle all the time" because anything less and you are going to be holding up traffic. It brings a smile to my face most of the time I take it out. Well, except for the times I have to push it home that is. That being said, the bike that brings me the most giggles is the CRF450. Can I take it through that roundabout at full throttle? Nope. But the little tiny lift of the front wheel as you exit is always there for a good time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A/C yeah, but the instant you "tune" or in any way modify the engine or drive train the warranty is gone. Vipers and Lambos especially.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A/C yeah, but the instant you "tune" or in any way modify the engine or drive train the warranty is gone. Vipers and Lambos especially.

Because people who are going to do a big turbo build on a Lamborghini are very concerned with the drivetrain warranty?

Quoted:

Yeah it does.  Some little underpowered shitbox going around a corner at 10/10thsis WAY more fun that some big bloated car with electronic steering and 500hp.  In the latter its, try to slow down all that mass, trundle around the corner, mash the throttle and let the torque pull you out. For me that gets boring fast.  I'd rather have the small light car with great steering that you can bang off the rev limiter and hoon around like a total piece of shit but your are only going 50mph so nobody is in danger.

500 isn't much today. Cars aren't actually really fast until you have to concentrate on not lifting off the throttle. If you don't even have to think about that, your car isn't fast.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because car generates enough grip to throw you out of the shit original seats and single lap belt.  

When car comes back from body work I will be buying a 2nd set of wheels to make use of 275/40-17 tires instead of the 225/45-17 max summer tires it wears now.  It will also have proper seats and a harness bar to keep you from having to fight to stay in the car.

13in 4 piston two piece discs, full floating 9in rear.  Looking to add trans and diff coolers in the future along with a tilton pedal box so I can finally heel and toe easily.

As for "going now" I could take my 2015 GT PP save for one thing.

It is 105 degrees out so as it stands the plans revolve around working, ordering parts, getting the car to bodywork during winter to hopefully be ready next spring.

I am legitimately concerned that more traction and under track conditions I have the ability to hurt the chassis of the car.   As it stands now with subframe connectors and some limitation with the tires I am okay.   But bodywork brings minitubs, likely adding convertible rockers and torque boxes, some other chassis bracing, and triangulation with roll bar and door bars to add in chassis stiffness.

The 2015 GTPP may go out this fall to start learning the track and getting instruction.

SoCalDriversClub is the low car count track day group I am looking to run with.   No limited track time heats, open grouping.

ButtonWillow is 20min from home.  WillowSprings is about 1.5 hours.

2800 pounds and 380whp...

Look higher up where I recognize the days of real race on sunday sell on monday 60s era racing.

I would be the fucking psycopath in the Ford Galaxie breathing down the necks of mini's.

TransAm racing is what I love with actual modified road cars on the track.

My 66 wears adapted Terlingua racing badges that I made because the car I am driving is likely as good or better than a GT350.

Only thing modern/sophisticated about my 66 is that I added a rack&pinion power steering and EFI.   I suppose the suspension is more modern but none of it is something that Shelby could not have done in the 60s had he wanted to ditch leaf springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wait Uglygun?  You can track it as is at SCCA high performance driving events/track days.  An approved helmet is all that is required.  Though I recommend high temp. brakes and speed rated tires.

Because car generates enough grip to throw you out of the shit original seats and single lap belt.  

When car comes back from body work I will be buying a 2nd set of wheels to make use of 275/40-17 tires instead of the 225/45-17 max summer tires it wears now.  It will also have proper seats and a harness bar to keep you from having to fight to stay in the car.

13in 4 piston two piece discs, full floating 9in rear.  Looking to add trans and diff coolers in the future along with a tilton pedal box so I can finally heel and toe easily.

As for "going now" I could take my 2015 GT PP save for one thing.

It is 105 degrees out so as it stands the plans revolve around working, ordering parts, getting the car to bodywork during winter to hopefully be ready next spring.

I am legitimately concerned that more traction and under track conditions I have the ability to hurt the chassis of the car.   As it stands now with subframe connectors and some limitation with the tires I am okay.   But bodywork brings minitubs, likely adding convertible rockers and torque boxes, some other chassis bracing, and triangulation with roll bar and door bars to add in chassis stiffness.

The 2015 GTPP may go out this fall to start learning the track and getting instruction.

SoCalDriversClub is the low car count track day group I am looking to run with.   No limited track time heats, open grouping.

ButtonWillow is 20min from home.  WillowSprings is about 1.5 hours.

Quoted:

2800 pounds and 380whp...

Look higher up where I recognize the days of real race on sunday sell on monday 60s era racing.

I would be the fucking psycopath in the Ford Galaxie breathing down the necks of mini's.

TransAm racing is what I love with actual modified road cars on the track.

My 66 wears adapted Terlingua racing badges that I made because the car I am driving is likely as good or better than a GT350.

Only thing modern/sophisticated about my 66 is that I added a rack&pinion power steering and EFI.   I suppose the suspension is more modern but none of it is something that Shelby could not have done in the 60s had he wanted to ditch leaf springs.

I'm just not comfortable going that fast on public roads.  Once you start to go 3x+ the posted limit the differential in speed is just too great to be interacting with other cars and the time you have to fix any mistakes is nanoseconds. I'm just not that good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Conversely, being stuck behind Grandma doing 40 in a 55 and slowing down to 15 in any curve because your 100hp shitbox can't pass her in time in any of the passing zones gets pretty old pretty fast.

Time and place for everything. I've got a 1974 125cc motorcycle making single digit hp numbers. It might make 10-12 if I took the time to finally rebuild it, but as it stands it's top speed is 50mph on a slightly downhill road with zero wind. There is a roundabout near me that has great visibility and if it's clear you can pin the throttle and do a loop or two before exiting. But it's quite literally the definition of "full throttle all the time" because anything less and you are going to be holding up traffic. It brings a smile to my face most of the time I take it out. Well, except for the times I have to push it home that is. That being said, the bike that brings me the most giggles is the CRF450. Can I take it through that roundabout at full throttle? Nope. But the little tiny lift of the front wheel as you exit is always there for a good time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow down and build a gap?  If you can't get around a car going 15mph under the limit then all you need is a 1/4mi of clear road in front of you, you'll never catch anyone.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking ALL of that.

My first vehicle was a 91 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 2.3l 4 banger.

Back in the day, in the late 90s, driving on a 2 lane road and hanging bavk in traffic to try to strategically make a pass when safe.

Cannot tell you how many times I had the classic asshat in front of me decide to go from 55mph to 80+mph to deny me from safely passing.

Nothing like a soccer mom looking over at you and sneering with some snobby smile as they let you know exactly what they are doing rather than just maintain speed and let you pass.

I will never own an underpowered "slow car" again.  

I drove that POS Ranger hard as hell EVERYWHERE and hated every fucking second of it and will not own something that reminds me of that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Slow down and build a gap?  If you can't get around a car going 15mph under the limit then all you need is a 1/4mi of clear road in front of you, you'll never catch anyone.
View Quote

I'm not going to pretend to even know what the kind of roads are by you, but anything fun locally is usually curvy county roads. The areas to pass are usually just long enough so that people can pass tractors going from field to field. Holding back to try and pre-plan a pass is certainly a possibility, and lord knows I've done that before, but once again it gets old once you start your little pathetic attempt at a pass and then have to slam the brakes and abort because a car shows up and you know you don't have enough time to make it without being a complete asshole. It's even better when you know that the next time you'll get a pass attempt can be counted in multiple miles. And sure, I guess you could stop on the side of the road and wait for ten people to stop and ask if you are ok and you say something dumb like "nah just waiting for grandma to get further ahead" but once again, that's not fun for me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fucking ALL of that.

My first vehicle was a 91 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 2.3l 4 banger.

Back in the day, in the late 90s, driving on a 2 lane road and hanging bavk in traffic to try to strategically make a pass when safe.

Cannot tell you how many times I had the classic asshat in front of me decide to go from 55mph to 80+mph to deny me from safely passing.

Nothing like a soccer mom looking over at you and sneering with some snobby smile as they let you know exactly what they are doing rather than just maintain speed and let you pass.

I will never own an underpowered "slow car" again.  

I drove that POS Ranger hard as hell EVERYWHERE and hated every fucking second of it and will not own something that reminds me of that.
View Quote

I remember the first time I went to try and pass someone in my diesel Colorado and thought "Oh yeah, that's why I disliked my old 4cylinder 4Runner."
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm just not that comfortable going that fast on public roads.  Once you start to go 3x+ the posted limit the differential in speed is just too great to be interacting with other cars and the time you have to fix any mistakes is nanoseconds. I'm just not that good.
View Quote

Look at the picture I posted on the other page.

It is basically the access road for all the ranches going dozens of miles up into the mountains.

There is no 3x the limit on it.  

Blind corners have EVERYTHING slowing down to the same speeds whether it is sport bike or car or truck.

But the way the road snakes and doubles back you can spot multiple corners between one blind corner and the next.   That is where you can get all the forces from acceleration, to cornering, to braking.

If slower "momentum" cars are basically just good at cornering that is just one axis for which to experience G's.    Having a car that can deliver that plus throw you back/forth in the seat is another dimension to add to the experience because it has the power to pull it off while requiring you to use the brakes.

It is another level of force.   There is a brutality or lack of sophisitication about it that makes the focus more intense.

There are ways to enjoy such roads without being completely idiotic about it and still experience some hill climb goodness.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to drive Hwy 46 from Kern Co to SLO 2-3 times a month visiting friends.

I would not tailgate anyone for fear of pissing them off.    5-10x car lengths leaving space to build up speed for a pass when the various passing opportunities came.

And yet dip shits would speed up on approach to passing lanes despite nobody being in front of them.

Have seen it countless times where asshole went from 55moh before passing lane to 75-85mph by the end.   All because they didnt want to let me pass.

With everything being "fast" these days having a slow shit box would just be even more infuriating.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
1969 Corvette 427 L88 vs 1968 Dodge Super Bee 426 Hemi - Pure Stock Drag Race

HOW FAST is an L88 Corvette ?? ULTRA RARE 1969 L88 Corvette TAKES ON Epic GM Muscle - Drag Video
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bandits car was a 77, and again that horsepower measurement was not comparable, as they only spun the 400 to just 36 hundred...but spun the Honda to 6k.....spin the 400 to that 6k..{yes it will] and watch what happens to the numbers...oh and tweak the timing, and add a bit more gas.
View Quote

Go bitch at Car and Driver, they provided the numbers.

"tweak the timing"...  yawn.  Are you tweaking both cars or just the one you are emotionally attached to?

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not going to pretend to even know what the kind of roads are by you, but anything fun locally is usually curvy county roads. The areas to pass are usually just long enough so that people can pass tractors going from field to field. Holding back to try and pre-plan a pass is certainly a possibility, and lord knows I've done that before, but once again it gets old once you start your little pathetic attempt at a pass and then have to slam the brakes and abort because a car shows up and you know you don't have enough time to make it without being a complete asshole. It's even better when you know that the next time you'll get a pass attempt can be counted in multiple miles. And sure, I guess you could stop on the side of the road and wait for ten people to stop and ask if you are ok and you say something dumb like "nah just waiting for grandma to get further ahead" but once again, that's not fun for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are fast enough to catch people you are fast enough to pass them.  Luckily around here there are slow moving vehicle turnouts and lots of spots to put on and take off tire chains, I make it very clear I intent to go faster than the person in front of me, most people are cool and will let you by but sometimes you have to get creative.

I'd rather be flogging a slow car trying to figure out my way through cars ahead than have a fast car and be able to easily pass wherever but never get out of third gear and be loafing along the rest of the time or else endanger myself and everyone else by going warp speed just to feel challenged. That feels like being stuck behind someone 100% of the time.

Different strokes for different folks.  I know a guy who has an M4 that makes something stupid like 750hp on e85, he thinks its the greatest thing ever, I think its boring. Blasting from 60-120mph in a few seconds is cool the first or second time you do it but after that it's meh. To me that would be like owning an Accuracy International in 338 Lapua but only having a 100yd range. Unless you have somewhere to use the thing as intended and be able to challenge yourself it seems like a waste.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Any questions?

Chevy Nova vs Nissan Skyline R32
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"tweak the timing"...  yawn.  Are you tweaking both cars or just the one you are emotionally attached to?

View Quote

Sigh, adjusting the timing is literally loosening up 1 bolt, turning the distributor, and tightening the bolt again.  If it makes you feel better, you can loosen and tighten any bolt you want in either car, just so they're even.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The truth is most factory muscle cars from 66-71 were limited to skinny bias ply tires and carburetors that were breathing through a straw.  The 426 hemi was also a heavily underrated motor.  As somebody who has been working on these cars for years (340 duster, 70 AAR cuda, Boss 302's etc) these are are VERY stout as long as the rear tires are hooking up and the motor is breathing properly.  Ford Chrysler and GM knew what they were doing
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's Bandit's car from Smokey and the Bandit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you appear to be disingenuosly cherry picking the slowest version of your comparison vehicle, I selected a different version for you. Same body style, same generation, even older and more obsolete!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/Screenshot_20220714-131105_DuckDuckGo_jp-2452642.JPG

That's Bandit's car from Smokey and the Bandit.

Gotcha. It's too bad they couldn't do much more than an appearance package on those things.

My favorite version of Bandit's car were the restomods Year One and Butler were offering for a while.

https://butlerperformance.com/g-21247-burt-reynolds-bandit-edition-trans-am-by-yearone.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Put modern stuff in old car, make old lightweight car fast. Just needs crumple zones to protect the occupants.

New cars are crazy heavy for what they are, so they get stronger drivetrains and more power.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bandits car was a 77, and again that horsepower measurement was not comparable, as they only spun the 400 to just 36 hundred...but spun the Honda to 6k.....spin the 400 to that 6k..{yes it will] and watch what happens to the numbers...oh and tweak the timing, and add a bit more gas.
View Quote

My best friend in high school drove a '77 W72 Trans Am.  If my memory serves correct the cams limited any power beyond 3600 rpms.  The '78 W72 had larger cam profiles which allowed the powerband t  o reach 4000 rpms and with higher compression made 220hp vs the 77's 200hp.  It was also a boat at 3600 lbs.  It was NOT exciting to drive and possibly the slowest "sports car" I've ever been in, but we felt cool cruising.  Every sporty car of the late 80s and early 90s stomped it, so we just cruised with the T-tops off and our party in the back hair flowing in the wind.    

For comparison my THEN '89 Probe GT's 4cyl only put out a measly 145hp in a 2900 lb car.  I'd put a dozen car lengths on his T/A in the 1/4 mile and still be pulling on it.  Google shows it @15.3@92 vs 16.9@82 for the T/A.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My best friend in high school drove a '77 W72 Trans Am.  If my memory serves correct the cams limited any power beyond 3600 rpms.  The '78 W72 had larger cam profiles which allowed the powerband t  o reach 4000 rpms and with higher compression made 220hp vs the 77's 200hp.  It was also a boat at 3600 lbs.  It was NOT exciting to drive and possibly the slowest "sports car" I've ever been in, but we felt cool cruising.  Every sporty car of the late 80s and early 90s stomped it, so we just cruised with the T-tops off and our party in the back hair flowing in the wind.    

For comparison my THEN '89 Probe GT's 4cyl only put out a measly 145hp in a 2900 lb car.  I'd put a dozen car lengths on his T/A in the 1/4 mile and still be pulling on it.  Google shows it @15.3@92 vs 16.9@82 for the T/A.

View Quote

Did he try tweaking it?  I heard that adds FIVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWAAAAA.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because people who are going to do a big turbo build on a Lamborghini are very concerned with the drivetrain warranty?

500 isn't much today. Cars aren't actually really fast until you have to concentrate on not lifting off the throttle. If you don't even have to think about that, your car isn't fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are street legal cars with A/C and warranties that will run 7s.  

Maybe note what my remark was in reference too.  HE said warranties on 7 second cars.  Apparantly yes. Those who can afford it, can get one.  Most people have the mods done themselves using their own vendors selection, and no they don't care about a warranty.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe note what my remark was in reference too.  HE said warranties on 7 second cars.  Apparantly yes. Those who can afford it, can get one.  Most people have the mods done themselves using their own vendors selection, and no they don't care about a warranty.
View Quote

I made factual and provable statements.

There are certainly people who make other choices.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

go ahead and try to tweak the tune of a Honda Appliance.....let nus know how it works for you.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody except you said that.    nm that was out of line
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#25]
They are so cool, even if underpowered

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I went to a Corvette show last weekend.  The owners looked as one might expect.  But it gave a good perspective on old vs new performance.  To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson;

This is brilliant
Attachment Attached File

But I like this
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd prefer the old Vette...
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

lol..did you bother to try to understand how they tweaked that to get those numbers?

hint: a 400 can spin faster than 3600 rpm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol..did you bother to try to understand how they tweaked that to get those numbers?

hint: a 400 can spin faster than 3600 rpm.

There really isn't much you can do to a `77 American car other than rebuild/replace the engine to make it "perform" in any meaningful way.  You could hit it with some NO2, but it wouldn't last very long. In 1978 the quickest American vehicle made was a Dodge pickup.  There is no way in my view to see those mid `70's through mid `80's cars as anything other than poorly engineered, poorly assembled crap. Those of us who were alive and playing with cars in those days were enjoying a bounty of cheap used "real" muscle cars (`64-`71 or so) that responded much better to a few mods like headers, intake, bigger carb (you needed to know how to tune a carb too), gears, etc., than the crap that came after the EPA got going. Tweaking the timing and spinning it a little higher won't change much on Smokey's car - it has low compression, minimal lift/duration cam, restrictive exhaust, restrictive head ports, EGR, cat convertors before they learned how to make them flow, etc.  In the end, a modern Challenger R/T with a V8 (base model V8)  can pretty easily beat a 1970 Challenger R/T with a 440, stock vs stock, in a drag race. That doesn't mean the old R/T isn't about a thousand times cooler than the new R/T, even though it is far less attainable these days.  That's why when the horsepower bug bit me again later in life I went with a Hellcat - cheaper than an old R/T today and in a different league performance wise from anything made in the old days.

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top