Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/23/2022 8:36:39 PM EDT

Had an 'oh sh.t that coulda been bad' moment tonight.

Got home from being out, unholstered my P365XL, and went to do my usual point of aim drill before securing it in the safe for the evening.

Except, no dot to be found...  and since I didn't confirm if the dot was there before carrying today, I don't know if it was dead already before I carried or died during carry.  (Resting voltage is 2.154V at this point, so battery definitely dead as a door nail)

Either way, it was painfully obvious to me that this type of slip up can cost precious seconds when you don't have them.  So, be sure to change the batteries regularly, and check them religiously.

New procedure will be to do the drill before holstering from now on; this should stress test the battery at least a little before being carried and maybe I'll catch it beforehand next time.  (even if it's a PITA and will add a few minutes to my 'get ready' routine)

Hope this helps someone out there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace the battery on your birthday. Easy to remember. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Use iron sights and you won't have this problem.

ETA:  Why are you locking your carry gun in the safe when you get home?   That's real retarded sir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA:  Why are you locking your carry peace in the safe when you get home?   That's real retarded sir.
View Quote

GTFO with your common sense!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA:  Why are you locking your carry gun in the safe when you get home?   That's real retarded sir.
View Quote

Could have small kids?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or just have backup sights.

Also I’m about 95% carry situations using the optic as a “ghost ring” is good enough to get hits on target.

If my dot dies it’s not a big deal, because I train with my backup irons as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA:  Why are you locking your carry peace in the safe when you get home?   That's real retarded sir.
View Quote

Did you post that from a handcrank PC or?

The correct solution is to check your gear on a regular schedule and replace batteries before they're empty. I like to get quality batteries too - no Harbor Freight button cells for crucial gear.

ETA: 100% agree on locking a carry gun up. That's weird as hell.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Replace the battery on your birthday. Easy to remember. Cheap insurance.
View Quote

This.

If you are going to rely on a red dot you can’t go cheap snd wait until your battery dies.  Just replace them once a year.

If you have range optics or other electronics on which you won’t bet your life that use the same batteries you can toss the 1 year old batteries into a specific container for non-critical use. That’s what I do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Could have small kids?
View Quote

Yup.

I have a rule that loaded guns are either in my hands, on my belt, or in the quick access safe.

Period, full stop.

I don’t mess around with my kids safety. Leaving a loaded gun on the nightstand, in the car, etc could have tragic consequences where 3 years ago it was no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Children at home.  They've been taught, Eddie Eagle and all, and are generally very disciplined, but I do not make it a habit to be lax because it takes only one time where they have an ignorant friend over to ruin multiple lives.

Given that the pistol safe is easy access via combination and neighborhood is considered very safe, I'm not concerned enough to warrant instant accessibility.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Could have small kids?
View Quote

Could teach your small kids about firearms
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 2 year old is smart. He’s not smart enough to know the consequences of mishandling a loaded firearm.

Expecting him to not be a curious toddler is how dumb parents end up with dead kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Check dot every morning when I put the gun on.
Battery replacement? Proactive.
Solar back-up? Check. Holosun 507c x2
Back up iron sights, tridium front? Check.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My 2 year old is smart. He’s not smart enough to know the consequences of mishandling a loaded firearm.

Expecting him to not be a curious toddler is how dumb parents end up with dead kids.
View Quote

By 2 my son knew exactly what a firearm was and what it did. But I guess I’m a careless parent. Hell, he shot his first Mac11 a little before he was 5. No need to be curious when you’ve been allowed to handle them

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My iron sights are always on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
What the heck does, 'full stop' mean? That's real retarded, sir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Got home from being out, unholstered my P365XL, and went to do my usual point of aim drill before securing it in the safe for the evening.

Except, no dot to be found...  and since I didn't confirm if the dot was there before carrying today, I don't know if it was dead already before I carried or died during carry.  (Resting voltage is 2.154V at this point, so battery definitely dead as a door nail)

Either way, it was painfully obvious to me that this type of slip up can cost precious seconds when you don't have them.  So, be sure to change the batteries regularly, and check them religiously.

New procedure will be to do the drill before holstering from now on; this should stress test the battery at least a little before being carried and maybe I'll catch it beforehand next time.  (even if it's a PITA and will add a few minutes to my 'get ready' routine)

View Quote
In my experience you will make minute of man shots even with no dot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you really chastising a man for locking a fucking pistol up because he has a 2 year-old running around the house?

Why do you even care?

Fucking GD...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you really chastising a man for locking a fucking pistol up because he has a 2 year-old running around the house?

Why do you even care?

Fucking GD...
View Quote

Yep. Let someone else control the narrative. Teach your kids to be afraid and that firearms are bad. It’s fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Who the fuck cares if he locks his gun up. That’s his choice
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. Let someone else control the narrative. Teach your kids to be afraid and that firearms are bad. It’s fine.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#21]
This is why putting a red dot on pistol is ridiculous. Wtf for? Iron sights work all the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is why putting a red dot on pistol is ridiculous. Wtf for? Iron sights work all the time.
View Quote

That’s some shit logic
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
On an RMR the dot dims A LOT, noticeable even indoors, before it dies totally.  Damn dude.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I put on my calendar on my phone to check them every 6 months
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put mine up because I sleep with an 870 marine magnum with a light on it. It cuddles better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, how old is, was, the battery!!??

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Surprised this many people keep their carry gun for home defense.

Mine goes in the safe and I pull my suppressed SBR out for HD

fuck using a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

But they always kinda suck, too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Could have small kids?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could have small kids?

Remain holstered even in bed. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

iRoNz NeVeR fAiL!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Til they are not
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guessing this was on the Romeo Zero?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread is all sorts of stupid (the replies). Now I understand why I hear about child gun accidents.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
When my kids were small, all my guns were locked in the safe except my issued duty sidearm. I just took off my gunbelt when I got home and set it by the bed. My kids wouldn't have been able to get the gun out of the level 3 security holster it was in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Way too old.  I think it went over 18 months.  I should have changed it at the 1 year mark, as many mention above.  Entirely my own fault.

Quoted:
Guessing this was on the Romeo Zero?

Yes.  Have been debating swapping for solar backup Holosun for this pistol.  It's definitely moved up the priority list.

Regarding securing the pistol:
To those that get what I do and why, thanks.  
To those that feel comfortable doing otherwise, you do you.  I don't mind or object; the simple reality is we all have to do what we are comfortable doing.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

People that have small kids and don't properly secure firearms are retarded.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Surprised this many people keep their carry gun for home defense.

Mine goes in the safe and I pull my suppressed SBR out for HD

fuck using a handgun.
View Quote

Same, I get home, pistol comes off and goes in safe bolted to night stand. In a tactical walls safe I have a rifle in the bedroom upstairs.

1st floor I have a pistol stashed and secured on either end of the house, and a rifle in another tactical walls safe roughly at the middle of the house.

There is no reason to leave firearms unsecured.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

By 2 my son knew exactly what a firearm was and what it did. But I guess I’m a careless parent. Hell, he shot his first Mac11 a little before he was 5. No need to be curious when you’ve been allowed to handle them

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257694/F7FEE870-D456-4368-A725-7C211D91F97C-843758.jpg
View Quote

Are you honestly saying you trust a toddler in a room with a loaded and accessible firearm?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Yep, part of the yearly maintenance routine.   Has certainly always been a consideration when I buy a new dot or illuminated scope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Way too old.  I think it went over 18 months.  I should have changed it at the 1 year mark, as many mention above.  Entirely my own fault.

Yes.  Have been debating swapping for solar backup Holosun for this pistol.  It's definitely moved up the priority list.

Regarding securing the pistol:
To those that get what I do and why, thanks.  
To those that feel comfortable doing otherwise, you do you.  I don't mind or object; the simple reality is we all have to do what we are comfortable doing.

View Quote

The solar panel on the Holosun is really unimportant in the big scheme of things.

The important characteristics are the longer battery life and durability/reliability. The reticle will also blink when the battery is low.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257694/F7FEE870-D456-4368-A725-7C211D91F97C-843758.jpg
View Quote

By that logic, you  let a 5 yo make all your financial decisions as well??

When taught, kids understand that you are not to play with guns because you told them so and they would get in trouble, not because they fully understand the repercussions and danger of using them can cause.

You may have the most amazingly smart 5 yo in the world, but there is a good chance that they don't understand the permanence of death like you do.

When my kids were little, I made sure to keep my guns away from accessing them without permission. Mine shot guns that early as well.

Even though most cases you hear of involve very lacking supervision, burying a kid is not unheard of and never a good public relations event for gun rights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tritium night sights would have the exact same concerns as battery-driven optics, just with a longer replacement interval.

I've also seen people lose iron sights off their slides that they didn't notice until they hit the range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is? I carry the gun that doesn't print but shoots well and is a G43X. But when I get home if there's a break-in, I opt for the G45 that does poorly for carrying but shoots better and has a much better light. Sticking to just your carry gun for all the things is rather retarded all on its own when there are now much better options.

And OP, just change your batteries once a year like everyone else not being a miser. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old eyes took me down the path to an rds
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you even care?

Fucking GD...

Speaking of which, you don't control the narrative anymore either. Because if you think that any 2 year old no matter how the parenting was done, is capable of not being infallible then you are one ignorant person.

You have no right to chastise anyone, especially when you are blatantly wrong. Stay in your lane. You are not the parent of my child either and you will be reminded of this fact and then told to pound sand. Live and let live, or do you hate freedom. Choose one because you can't believe in one without the other.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Old eyes took me down the path to an rds
View Quote

I feel your pain!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I have had enough poor contact or dead battery issues with red dots of all types to never trust my life to them without backup.  

It is a fools errand to have a RDS on a pistol and no backup sights. It doesn't matter how much money you spend on it, if it runs on a battery, it can fuck up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly what I did, but still have backup.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That’s some shit logic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s some shit logic

Why? Because it's an opinion not shared by you? Regardless of how you feel, he's still not wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#50]
You should notice that the dot is dead when you do your 3-5 practice draw/presentations every day.

You are doing your 3-5 practice draw/presentations every day aren't you?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top