[#1]
I own page 2
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own page 2
View Quote

Phun Phact question: Who were you before you became you?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I own page 2

I'd tell you but...

I don't remember.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

On June 12 1970 Dock Ellis threw a no hitter against the San Diego Padres while under the influence of LSD.  

A 256 Newton actually uses a .264 cal. bullet.

Largemouth bass isnt actually a bass. Its considered a Sunfish

Thats all I got
View Quote
VERY interesting to me (bass).

I had no idea. I studied bass and their behavior for years as a youngster ( pre-internet) (to the point that I had a 100 gallon tank, raising them

from fingerlings to early maturity)). This fact blows my mind.

Thank you for submitting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own page 2

I have never been anyone else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jenga game pieces are made of alder wood.

A kitchen faucet would need to be turned on for 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the human heart in an average lifetime.
View Quote

Thats a cool bit of trivia
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Nylon was the first synthetic material made. It was developed in New York and London so they used the abbreviations of both locations to name their new product.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own page 2

Maybe not, but who was you before you were?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I wanted to argue with my wife on Mothers Day, that way i didn't have to go anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Interesting.  My John Deere mechanic told me that my 130 horse tractor's oil pump moves 100 gals a minute.  Seems a lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jenga game pieces are made of alder wood.

A kitchen faucet would need to be turned on for 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the human heart in an average lifetime.

Interesting.  My John Deere mechanic told me that my 130 horse tractor's oil pump moves 100 gals a minute.  Seems a lot.

Cannot possibly be true. The oil pumped to the top og the engine wouldn't have time to return to the sump, before the oil pump would be sucking on air.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 1851 "Navy" Colt earned it's name from the engraving around the cylinder of the Texas Navy kicking the Mexican Navy's ass during the battle of Campeche.  The scene was chosen by Sml Colt to honor the Texas Nav, which had been a major purchaser of the Paterson revolver, the sale taking place at an opportune time to keep Colt's firearms company from insolvency.

View Quote

Colt 1851 Navy made in 1858 ....................

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice used to mean ignorant
Cretin used to mean Christian.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had no idea. I studied bass and their behavior for years as a youngster ( pre-internet) (to the point that I had a 100 gallon tank, raising them

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On June 12 1970 Dock Ellis threw a no hitter against the San Diego Padres while under the influence of LSD.  

A 256 Newton actually uses a .264 cal. bullet.

Largemouth bass isnt actually a bass. Its considered a Sunfish

Thats all I got

The problem is, that is meaningless.  Smallmouth bass are also sunfish, as are rock bass, spotted bass, Choctaw bass, warrior bass, redeye bass, and a host of others.  To say a kind of fish isn't really a "bass" doesn't mean anything, because "bass" is not descriptive of a species, but is a name given to a huge variety of freshwater and saltwater fish from all over the world from an assortment of different families.

It's like in parts of the South where all cold drinks/sodas/pops are referred to as "coke."  "Hey, you know what, Sprite isn't actually a Coke; it's really a lemon lime carbonated beverage!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nylon was the first synthetic material made. It was developed in New York and London so they used the abbreviations of both locations to name their new product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bakelite disagrees with your assertion by 28 years.  As does the DuPont Experimental Station in Wilmington, DE, where Nylon was actually developed.

PVC also takes umbrage, being first synthesized in the 1870s, but gives you a pass because it wasn't until the 1920s that methods were found to use it effectively.

ETA:

Before DuPont could take its new miracle fiber to the public, however, its leaders had to decide what to call it. In-house researchers had alternately been referring to what would become nylon as Rayon 66, Fiber 66, or “Duparon,” a creative acronym for “DuPont pulls a rabbit out [of] nitrogen/nature/nozzle/naphtha.” In 1938, through a decision-making process that remains somewhat obscure, the company settled on the word nylon. According to Ernest Gladding, manager of the Nylon Division in 1941, the name had originally been “Nuron,” which not only implied novelty but cleverly spelled “no run” backwards. Unfortunately, Nuron and other closely related words posed trademark conflicts, so the division proposed “Nilon.” Changing the i to a y removed any ambiguity surrounding pronunciation, and “nylon” was born. The company then decided not to trademark the name, hoping instead to encourage consumers to think of nylon as a generic preexisting material, like wood or glass.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anything can be a dildo if you're brave enough.
View Quote

coffee sprayed by reading this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#18]

This is a Boeing 767-200 or 767-300 main gear assembly.  If you look closely at where the lock link attaches to the strut, you'll notice that the strut has a bend in it.  This bend moves the foot print of the main gear outboard about 6 inches.  Boeing had to engineer this bend into the strut so that the 767 could land and take off out of this airport that does not regularly see this aircraft type, but is a primary diversion point.

This bend is called the "La Guardia Bend."
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Disney World goes through about 194,871 miles of toilet paper each year.

Since Johnny Reno started with a Titanic fact. 15,000 workers helped build the Titanic. Average wage: about $10 per week. It was also the first ocean liner with a swimming pool.

Even though the Titanic sank the pool is still filled.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.boeingimages.com/Docs/BOE/Media/TR3_WATERMARKED/8/0/a/5/BI230135.jpg

This is a Boeing 767-200 or 767-300 main gear assembly.  If you look closely at where the lock link attaches to the strut, you'll notice that the strut has a bend in it.  This bend moves the foot print of the main gear outboard about 6 inches.  Boeing had to engineer this bend into the strut so that the 767 could land and take off out of this airport that does not regularly see this aircraft type, but is a primary diversion point.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/LaGuardia_Airport.JPG

View Quote

why does moving the landing gear outboard 6 inches let it land there? Genuinely curios
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#21]
OJ Simpson was originally cast to play the Terminator, but the studio was afraid no one would believe he was a remorseless killer.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

why does moving the landing gear outboard 6 inches let it land there? Genuinely curios
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weight distribution.
http://www.kls2.com/cgi-bin/arcfetch?db=sci.aeronautics.airliners&id=%[email protected]%3E
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ends of the runways that extend  into Flushing Bay are essentially built on top of a landfill.  Having the gear go straight down put too much stress on the runways an taxiways by weight distribution.  Boeing had four options when it came to certifying the gear.  They could use a larger tire, add an extra truck to the main gear (similar to the 777), add an auxiliary gear (MD-11, A340, A380), or widen the footprint of the aircraft.  Widening the footprint was the least obtrusive solution to the problem at hand, and that allowed the 767 to proceed with certification.  The La Guardia Bend was removed from the 767-400 due to the 767-400 using the wheel and tire off of the 777 which is larger.

This design also makes the 767 as one of the more complicated main gear used in civil service.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Only once in history has a fully submerged submarine intentionally sank another fully submerged submarine.

(Brit sub sank a nazi sub in ww2)
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Bananas are in the berry family.

Strawberries, are not.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
In 1977 Argentina sent a pregnant woman to give birth on Antarctica to reinforce their territorial claims of the continent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When IHOP takes photos of it's pancakes, they spray them with waterproofing before dousing them in motor oil.
View Quote

Need verification on that. Reason for skepticism: father is an industrial/tech photographer (motion & still). At least in the past, stuff photographed had to be edible. Not tasty, but edible. Fry a burger patty in soap to get it brown? Sure. Slather in petroleum? Not so sure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Geez.

I actually read it first in a book called Nano and then about it in a James Rollins book and had to look it up to see if it was real. Those crazy Soviets and their half assed problem solving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To continue the isotope talk, If you stand in certain spots on Lake Karachay in the Urals, you can receive a lethal dose of radiation thanks to our good friends in Russia.

Geez.

Starting in the 1960s, the lake began to dry out; its area dropped from 0.5 km2 in 1951[1] to 0.15 km2 by the end of 1993.[6] In 1968, following a drought in the region, the wind carried 185 PBq (5 MCi) of radioactive dust away from the dried area of the lake, irradiating half a million people.[3]

I actually read it first in a book called Nano and then about it in a James Rollins book and had to look it up to see if it was real. Those crazy Soviets and their half assed problem solving.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#30]
The giraffe has the highest blood pressure of mammals
The humming bird has the fastest heart rate of animals

The average liberal uses less than 15% of the portion of brain used for logic, and 92% of the portion used for emotion.

Many statistics are made up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
US Mint American Silver Eagle planchettes are made by Sunshine Mint, and are the exact same ones Sunshine uses for private mint rounds. So, if you buy an ASE, you're paying a huge premium for a Sunshine Mint round and the words "$1" stamped on the coin.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks like that bend actually moves the footprint inboard?  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Did you know if you took all the veins, arteries and capillaries out of the average 20 year old man and laid them all out end to end, that he'd die?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Browns Ferry had the exact same issue as Three Mile Island but the luck of an operator who knew what the fuck was going on saved them from the catastrophe that was TMI.

The problem? Idiots.  and a stuck Pressure Operated Relief Valve

And thus was born INPO.
View Quote

So TMI didn't set fire to their cable spread room?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bakelite disagrees with your assertion by 28 years.  As does the DuPont Experimental Station in Wilmington, DE, where Nylon was actually developed.

PVC also takes umbrage, being first synthesized in the 1870s, but gives you a pass because it wasn't until the 1920s that methods were found to use it effectively.

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Before DuPont could take its new miracle fiber to the public, however, its leaders had to decide what to call it. In-house researchers had alternately been referring to what would become nylon as Rayon 66, Fiber 66, or “Duparon,” a creative acronym for “DuPont pulls a rabbit out [of] nitrogen/nature/nozzle/naphtha.” In 1938, through a decision-making process that remains somewhat obscure, the company settled on the word nylon. According to Ernest Gladding, manager of the Nylon Division in 1941, the name had originally been “Nuron,” which not only implied novelty but cleverly spelled “no run” backwards. Unfortunately, Nuron and other closely related words posed trademark conflicts, so the division proposed “Nilon.” Changing the i to a y removed any ambiguity surrounding pronunciation, and “nylon” was born. The company then decided not to trademark the name, hoping instead to encourage consumers to think of nylon as a generic preexisting material, like wood or glass.

Bakelite isn't fully synthetic - one of the ingredients is "wood flour."
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#36]
You're on the wrong side of the fuselage.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#37]
The giblets in your Thanksgiving turkey did not come from that turkey.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

PVC still wins.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Titanic R-Spec
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Moar.stacks.meant.more.power.to.the.ignorant.

Titanic R-Spec
vtec kicked in, and they understeered into a 'berg.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Samuel Colt died of gout.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The St. Louis Arch has foundations sunken 60 feet into the ground, and is built to withstand earthquakes and high winds. It sways up to one inch in a 20 mph wind, and is built to sway up to 18 inches.

The internal structure of the arch is made from 3/8" carbon steel plate. The exterior is 1/4" stainless steel.

The first successful parachute jump from a moving plane was made above the Jefferson Barracks military post, near St. Louis, on March 1, 1912. U.S. Army Captain Albert Berry climbed to 1,500 feet in a Benoist aircraft and jumped.

Missouri is great at making movie stars, putting out the likes of Brad Pitt, John Goodman, Dick Van Dyke, Jenna Fischer, and "Mad Men” star Jon Hamm, along with several others.

The best selling music artist from Missouri is Sheryl Crow, born in Kennett, Mo.  
View Quote

One bite of St. Louis style pizza will overshadow that entire list of achievement with crushing shame.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One bite of St. Louis style pizza will overshadow that entire list of achievement with crushing shame.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The St. Louis Arch has foundations sunken 60 feet into the ground, and is built to withstand earthquakes and high winds. It sways up to one inch in a 20 mph wind, and is built to sway up to 18 inches.

The internal structure of the arch is made from 3/8" carbon steel plate. The exterior is 1/4" stainless steel.

The first successful parachute jump from a moving plane was made above the Jefferson Barracks military post, near St. Louis, on March 1, 1912. U.S. Army Captain Albert Berry climbed to 1,500 feet in a Benoist aircraft and jumped.

Missouri is great at making movie stars, putting out the likes of Brad Pitt, John Goodman, Dick Van Dyke, Jenna Fischer, and "Mad Men” star Jon Hamm, along with several others.

The best selling music artist from Missouri is Sheryl Crow, born in Kennett, Mo.  

however, St Louis style baby back ribs almost makes up for the pizza.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Strawberries, are not.
View Quote

Bananas are an herb.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bananas are an herb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strawberries, are not.

Bananas are an herb.

Herbs are, by definition, the leaves of a plant.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Bananas are an herb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strawberries, are not.

Bananas are an herb.

The scientific usage of the term berry differs from common usage. In scientific terminology, a berry is a fruit produced from the ovary of a single flower in which the outer layer of the ovary wall develops into an edible fleshy portion (botanically the pericarp). The definition includes many fruits that are not commonly known as berries, such as grapes, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants (aubergines) and bananas. Fruits excluded by the botanical definition include strawberries and raspberries. A plant bearing berries is said to be bacciferous or baccate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry

Both. A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit (containing the seeds of the plant: see 'Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?), though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to little specks. The banana plant is called a 'banana tree' in popular use, but it's technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/is-a-banana-a-fruit-or-a-herb

Phun!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hi ya Dan!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own page 2

Hi ya Dan!

I am not Dan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I am not Dan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi ya Dan!

I am not Dan.

Dan who?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bananas are an herb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strawberries, are not.

Bananas are an herb.

And they are also berries.  Like cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, grapes, etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Dan who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi ya Dan!

I am not Dan.

Dan who?

Dan in real life.  A truly horrible movie I walked out on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Here are a few:

All of the clocks in movie Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.

If she were life size, Barbie's measurements would be: 39-23-33.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are members of the peach family.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

There are only four words in the English language which end in"-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

The longest place-name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill.

Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "L.A.".

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

The only real person to be a Pez head was Betsy Ross.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life".

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.

The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.

The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz".

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister.

John Lennon's first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

Assuming proper typing, "Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top