Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All matter compressed into very small space. It explodes and expands (Big Bang) until it is all gathered back up into black holes and recompressed into very small space, then it explodes and expands? Soooo...we're part of the fuel in a recycling perpetual motion engine powering some machine in a much larger universe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sometimes what we "know" isn't correct after all. I'll keep my faith in the Lord, the creator of Heaven and Earth. The One who sent His son to die for my (and your) sins. You are free to put your faith in whatever you want, but there is only one way to Heaven.
View Quote
And you "know" that to be true, how exactly?

Because you were raised to believe it? Read it in a book with no supporting evidence and believed it? Heard someone tall about it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
all of this is a false teaching. nobody knows nothing.

its all a simulation, everything, including time is part of the simulation. everything perceived or that exists as a theory is nothing more than the result of deriving rules based on observing this simulated reality.

nothing is real and the laws and theories can be changed reversed or eliminated by changing the configuration of that simulation.

there is only one rule, you are in the simulation and cannot exist out of it.

there is only one question, can you somehow influence whatever is in control of the simulation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We understand enough about science and physics and the universe and such to have made religions basically obsolete. There's no need for magical sky people to make things happen, we understand the mechanics and processes behind it all now.

I think 20 years from now the discoveries will be so amazing that you wouldn't be able to guess at one right now.

Proof: The phone in my hand right now was just straight up impossible 20 years ago. It contains or has access to the entire sum of human knowledge. It has more processing power than existed on the entire world up until the early 90s. I can hold it in my hand.

Think about that for a minute.

View Quote
You couldn't possibly be more wrong.  Modern science is producing many more questions than answers.  You really think we've got it all figured out?  Care to explain to us how gravity works or what time is?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We understand enough about science and physics and the universe and such to have made religions basically obsolete. There's no need for magical sky people to make things happen, we understand the mechanics and processes behind it all now.

I think 20 years from now the discoveries will be so amazing that you wouldn't be able to guess at one right now.

Proof: The phone in my hand right now was just straight up impossible 20 years ago. It contains or has access to the entire sum of human knowledge. It has more processing power than existed on the entire world up until the early 90s. I can hold it in my hand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

That's not the way things are trending at the moment.  Think about that for a minute.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.  Modern science is producing many more questions than answers.  You really think we've got it all figured out?  Care to explain to us how gravity works or what time is?
View Quote
time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

gravity is what makes the world go round.

ETA .. gravity is fucking magnets, thats how it works.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
New "discoveries" = job security.
View Quote
"Why are the laws of physics what they are, instead of some other laws? To find out we would need to recreate the conditions BEFORE the big bang! It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! Of course there would be no guarantee of success, and in any case, I'd never live to see it." --Professor Farnsworth
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
How do these ideas fit for the flat earth people

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You need look no further than the supporters of the Democrat party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's part of why I said "basically obsolete"

There will always be people that feel the need to hand control of their lives over to some sort of higher power, imaginary or not.

One of the biggest things about religion though, especially the primitive ones on up until the origins of modern Abrahamic ones was trying to explain the (at that time, anyway) unexplainable.

We've now managed to actually figure out what's going on with all of that, how it happened...and in many cases why it happens. Not everything though, but give it time.
You need look no further than the supporters of the Democrat party.
Coincidentally run by the people most fervent in their rejection of religion or objective morality
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#11]
We're alone.  When earth life dies the universe will have to wait another trillion years for life.  Unless there's a creator, then all bets are off.

And because we're alone there's no practical reason to theorize about all this stuff, except for the intellectual stimulation it provides.  Which is enough reason to do it.  Why not?  It's as good a jobs program as any other other govt program.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine how much more we know about our planet and universe today than 1,000 years ago. Now try to grasp how much more humans will know 1,000 years from now. It's exciting and depressing all at the same time.

Not true on processing power or storage. There were dod computers in 1993 that could smoke your iphone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a lot that is not known also. Physicists have identified about 5% of matter in the universe. The rest is known as “dark matter”, which we no idea what it is. Then there is dark energy, another thing we have no idea what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a lot that is not known also. Physicists have identified about 5% of matter in the universe. The rest is known as “dark matter”, which we no idea what it is. Then there is dark energy, another thing we have no idea what it is.
5% huh?  So "all we know is that we know nothing."  Very helpful guys; have some more grant money, it's on me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Amazing how finely tuned our universe is, for creating black holes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because you were raised to believe it? Read it in a book with no supporting evidence and believed it? Heard someone tall about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes what we "know" isn't correct after all. I'll keep my faith in the Lord, the creator of Heaven and Earth. The One who sent His son to die for my (and your) sins. You are free to put your faith in whatever you want, but there is only one way to Heaven.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye. shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh. findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How in the world do you "know" that your religion is correct?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This was covered in my post that you quoted. The part about discoveries still to come.

I know comprehension is difficult for some people.

View Quote
Well you did claim that religion is obsolete.  So you can answer where all matter and energy came from?  How life began?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not sure I'm buying it Wouldn't this be a problem with the inflation of the Universe?

How would information from previous universes survive intact or distinct through the hellishly hot and dense conditions of the Big Bang and not be smoothed out by the inflation that made the universe so homogeneous in other respects?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well you did claim that religion is obsolete.  So you can answer where all matter and energy came from?  How life began?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was covered in my post that you quoted. The part about discoveries still to come.

Well golly gee, I guessm ma God did it.  So no more need for no more scientificatin.  Ma car, phone, and MRI runs on me God magic!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What part of "discoveries still to come" are you not getting?

I said it's basically obsolete. How life began has already been settled...mostly. At least life on this planet. Life outside of here, the debate goes on.

The second part...well, that was a trick question. Matter is energy. It is neither created nor destroyed. It didn't come from anywhere. It just...is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it's basically obsolete. How life began has already been settled...mostly. At least life on this planet. Life outside of here, the debate goes on.

The second part...well, that was a trick question. Matter is energy. It is neither created nor destroyed. It didn't come from anywhere. It just...is.
How life on this planet began has been settled? LOL!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well golly gee, I guessm ma God did it.  So no more need for no more scientificatin.  Ma car, phone, and MRI runs on me God magic!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on a couple of your responses, and the saying at the bottom of all your posts, when and why did you come to hate God?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Black holes, the universe's trash dumps.
View Quote
Or trash compactor depending on your perspective.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting hypothesis.

Does it make any testable predictions? Is it disprovable?

If not, really, it is indistinguishable from fantasy.

Sort of like string theory
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
It will eventually be consumed by the vastness of blackhole to only start again. An endless loop of death and rebirth. Zeroing out everything to start anew. It sounds like an 'Alien' movie plot. Without aliens and engineers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I respectfully suggest you read up on both those questions, because both are very much unknown by science.

The origin of life is a huge unknown and to suggest it is "settle" is completely false.  I urge you to do some research on it.

Correct that matter is energy.  But energy as we know it moves from a state of low entropy to high entropy, it has a direction, which suggests that it has a beginning and an end to its usefulness.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Based on a couple of your responses, and the saying at the bottom of all your posts, when and why did you come to hate God?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would one go about hating something they don't believe exists?  Never believed in God.  So no hate. Just disbelief.  If you've got some proof of a God or gods I'd love to see it!  Whatcha got?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No data supports this theory.
View Quote
What about the multiverse theory where black holes are the door to another dimension fueling the expansion of other universes?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
The struggle continues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal truth vs objective truth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Black holes are the alpha and omega.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are we defining God as whatever transcends our understanding, or whatever the proximate cause of the observable universe is?

You don't end up with any unbelievers that way. Adeism isn't really a thing, can't even get it past a spellchecker.

Religion makes a lot of claims that can be evaluated. Nietzsche declared God dead 135 years ago, and that wasn't an original thought. Our conceptions of God have been getting revised and destroyed since we started conceiving them.

The most dangerous people on Earth are those in the midst of a faith crisis, when it's society-wide you get communism or Islamism, post-modernism or fundamentalism, willful self-delusion.

There's still a lot we don't know, but we learn, if we allow ourselves to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For weak willed and mentally feeble, sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until science can answer "why", not just "what" and " how", religion will continue to exist.
Many, many genius level intellects throughout history and today (including phycisists) believe in God.  Your arrogance is amusing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’ve never understood why god  and science can not co exist?  Who’s to say he just didn’t snap his fingers and started everything in motion and is just sitting back and watching the rats in the maze?  I am a believer but there is no reason to think that I can’t believe n the results of science at the same time, unless it’s junk science like transgenderism or the like since biology is biology and it’s just a mental disorder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until science can answer "why", not just "what" and " how", religion will continue to exist.
The interesting an still unrealized result that remains yet unanswered is what will humanity do with itself once God is dis-proven and a myth?

I do believe THAT will be the last days of the human race.

You think the left gets unhinged when you prove their sacred cows get gored, you ain't seen nothing until you challenge ones sky god's superiority or existence.
It's impossible to disprove God.

No matter what evidence is presented, a large portion of the population will reject it.  Look at the huge number of young earth creationists for proof of this.
I’ve never understood why god  and science can not co exist?  Who’s to say he just didn’t snap his fingers and started everything in motion and is just sitting back and watching the rats in the maze?  I am a believer but there is no reason to think that I can’t believe n the results of science at the same time, unless it’s junk science like transgenderism or the like since biology is biology and it’s just a mental disorder.
We think alike
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Many, many genius level intellects throughout history and today (including phycisists) believe in God.  Your arrogance is amusing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As time goes on fewer and fewer scientists believe in God.  It makes sense that more people believed 100 years ago, doesn't it?  The trend is toward disbelief among scientists and the general public.  The more we learn, the less we need the God of the gaps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All matter compressed into very small space. It explodes and expands (Big Bang) until it is all gathered back up into black holes and recompressed into very small space, then it explodes and expands? Soooo...we're part of the fuel in a recycling perpetual motion engine powering some machine in a much larger universe.
View Quote
Or perhaps the universe is someones screen saver, black holes are just erasing the screen and then displaying a new image.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Scientist can’t figure out how all the water arrived on earth. The leading HYPOTHISIS is by comets yet, comets are small, and a staggering number would be required.
Just an interesting fact
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How would one go about hating something they don't believe exists?  Never believed in God.  So no hate. Just disbelief.  If you've got some proof of a God or gods I'd love to see it!  Whatcha got?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already posted the message you need. I can't make or force you to believe. I will pray for you though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Langaliers
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#45]
When my uncle Jim was irredeemable mentally ill, Jesus came to him and told him that each day he must masturbate furiously into a bucket whilst reciting the Lords prayer.
If one of his 'sessions' was insufficiently furious or he ceased the measured cadencies of that most holy utterance, he was to empty the bucket and begin again.

After twenty three years - bucket sans fullness - he shot himself with a bullet from rapists knife.

I firmly believe that the compassion of Christ saved Jim from a much longer torment.

Now, you might think, what has this curiously erotic and beautiful tale to do with the deepest mysteries of the Universe?.
Well, in my work as perennially confused idiot, it is this - none can know the works of the Lord but He.

P. S. About thirty years after his death I was searching through uncle Jim's papers at the request of HRH Prince of Wales, and I found an account of the day he suffered his holy visitation - Well, it was red faces all round, you see we found that 'Jesus' was a Venezuelan male prostitute he had met at confessional - not a drop of Jew in the blighter.

The point still stands, I think, there is much we still do not know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I already posted the message you need. I can't make or force you to believe. I will pray for you though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.

The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.

The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.

All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.

All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.

There is no remembrance of former things,
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be among those who come after.

Ecclesiastes
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Horse shit.

Science’s explanation for the universe is exactly the same as theists.

“It just happened.”

Both are just as valid as the other because neither has any real evidence to support it. No one has an answer for how or why the universe just popped into existence.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top