Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd never even consider it on something that I took offroad. Ya'll are nuts, or your jeeps never leave pavement
View Quote

Have you seen the ones that don't extend farther than a stock drain plug or are you just being a PITA because?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
We used to install those in trucks when I worked in oil. We also installed them in the engines running the cement pumps. It made it so MUCH easier to just hook up the hose to the side of the trailer instead of fiddling around to change the oil. With two diesels side by side there wasn’t a lot of free space to work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except up until last winter there wasn’t an oil standard rated to go that long and stop a timing chain from stretching.

If you want your engine to last change it every 5k.
View Quote

Lol, wrong
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not having hot oil splash all over your hand when you remove the drain plug, and instead having 100% of the old oil drain directly into the container you want it in.  You also don't drop the drain plug into the container you're draining into or miss the waste oil container with a stream of waste oil.

If you have some other way not to spill a single drop, please let us know.
View Quote

K.

So I usually save a large appliances box and cut them into two. I set this on the ground underneath the vehicle where I will be working.

I use a drain pan that caps off the top and spout portion, doesn't leak. I set that on the cardboard in a position that will capture the oil as it flows out the drain.

After that difficult task is complete, I throw on some nitrile gloves, grab my ratchet or impact, an extension and socket, I also grab a shop rag.

I zip the plug off, quickly move it out of the stream and grab the plug. wipe extension, socket and plug with shop towel, then my hands if necessary. If I lose the bolt in the drain pan I grab my telescoping magnet and retrieve it.

I let drain and then use shop towel to clean around drain hole, torque the drain plug to spec. Use shop towel to clean around the plug head.

Shift drain pan under filter.

Use shop rag and tool of your choice, up to a screw driver.  

Loosen filter, with other hand place shop rag underneath to capture any potential spill.

Set old filter up on pan to drain, clean around the filter housing with rag.

coat gasket of new oil filter, add in a bit of oil and torque back down.

Fill vehicle with oil. Use shop towel to clean the dipstick when checking level.

Everything good. I tighten up the drain pan, use same shop towel from beginning and clean up any residue on drain pan and take it to auto store to get rid of waste oil. Discard shop towel and nitrile gloves.

profit

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just changed the oil in my tacoma using a fumoto valve. Much easier and cleaner than the regular drain plug.

Eta: it's tucked well up above the skid plate, so I'm not concerned about it getting hit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've been using synthetic oil and 10k change intervals since the mid 90's.  Is this a Ford 5.4 or Ecoburst problem or something?  I've never had a timing chain stretch to the point of failure.
View Quote

I work at a Honda k24s are horrible for it. We An r18 civic engine every now and then.  Have seen it on just about every Dohc engine out there  but the volume of Honda I work on limits the exposure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There would be far easier ways than draining your oil,not to mention almost every vehicle will run for a shockingly lengthy time with just residual oil.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't have to be unintentional.

Could be opened on purpose by Antifa-type scum trying to disable vehicles.

There would be far easier ways than draining your oil,not to mention almost every vehicle will run for a shockingly lengthy time with just residual oil.

Still no reason to add additional weak points.

Running an engine on just residual oil is never a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a Fumoto valve on all my vehicles for about 10 years.  Worth it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ya me too
not that complicated to remove a bolt for drain
seems like an answer seeking a question
View Quote

On taller vehicles, you can drain directly into a tall jug without jacking up the vehicle. No stupid drain pain to deal with. Jug goes directly to the disposal location. An oil plug would complicate this process. If you're using an oil drain pan,  the plug isn't that big a deal.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol, wrong
View Quote

Lol right.

Chain wear wasn’t part of an oil standard until
May 1 of this year.

https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/latest-oil-categories
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of valvers seem really worried about getting drops of icky oil on their husband's carport.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Amazed at all the opposition to these in this thread
View Quote

By folks that have never used them. I've had fumotos on my vehicles for years. Makes changing oil easier and less messy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know, the plugs are never a problem but whoever changed the oil on my two vehicles before I changed it the last time put the filters on with an impact gun. Dented and crushed the hell out them trying to get both filters off.
View Quote

The only time I've ever had a problem getting an oil filter off, it was one I didn't put on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Fumoto 100%  excellent design .

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Never have myself either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't ever seem to wrap my head around the point of this.

I learned the point yesterday.    After releasing the oil plug, the oil shot out and splashed tiny droplets all around. I was using a giant oil catch, but it still splattered all around.  Almost got in my eyes.   Combination of very thin oil, and the height of the truck.    I’ll be getting a Fumoto with a plastic tube attached.   If I plug the end of it when I’m done, that will also function as a fail safe in case the valve goes bad.  

Speaking of which; can anyone recommend which valve is best for a 2019 F150 3.5 EB?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How often are you changing your oil?

With full synthetic there no reason you can't go at least 6,000 miles.

My Grandfather was a chemist at BP and even on conventional oils he would follow the service routine in the owner's manual.  Albeit he wasn't going by the severe schedule.  He said oil doesn't break down.

That's just his opinion, though.

I do believe the 3,000 mile interchange is a profit making scheme, though, especially with modern oils!
View Quote

Grampaw the Chemist wasn’t dealing with modern Turbocharged engines.   You need to edumacate yourself.   It is (unfortunately) a whole different world nowadays.    

Every engine is different.  My Camry (normally aspirated) goes 10,000 miles and the oil is still pretty clean.   My 2.0 turbocharged VW is filthy after 3000.     My Ecoboost is somewhere in between, but I’m going with 5000 mile changes.   Oil is cheap compared to valve problems.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. I just use the OEM drain plug. I work at a dealer and over 20 years have only seen one valve and it drains too slow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Laughs in oil extractor.

https://i.imgur.com/gNSbOVH.jpg?1
View Quote

Nope.  Not at all.   I have a much fancier air powered one.  
It never gets used, because crawling under is just that much easier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lol right.
Chain wear wasn’t part of an oil standard until
May 1 of this year.
https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/latest-oil-categories
View Quote

wait, because there was no standardized test for timing chain wear, everyone's timing chain was wearing?

ps
at one point i had *almost* 500K miles in my driveway -- on just two cars.  10K OCI, did them all myself.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____so_long_and_happy_trails____238K_miles_bmw_3_series____original_owner__no_complaints/134-1770627/

that, and i sold my Tacoma recently with 280K on it.  

i also think a lot of people ignore a lot of factors when it comes to OCI.
- oil type (dino, semi, full syn)
- driving profile (city, highway, etc)
- environmental profile (temperature extremes, cold start, hot idle, etc)
- engine oil sump capacity (bmw e46 above has a small 2.5L engine and a 7.5qt oil sump)
- etc

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Stepping out bolts? Magnets to stick tools to your car?

WTF?

Some of you guys I swear to god...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That sounds like a bad idea, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a fumoto on my Xterra, was always a little worried that it stuck down through the skid plate and was always in the back of my mind on the trail
That sounds like a bad idea, IMO.

It was still above the bottom of the skid, just was there if something poked into the hole. I was going to make a cover plate but never got around to it and it never was an issue over many trail miles.

I needed it because otherwise when you pull the drain plug half went on top of the skid and half ran all over everywhere else
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Over many decades of changing oil, I've never once had a problem where I had to go looking for that kind of a solution.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stepping out bolts? Magnets to stick tools to your car?

WTF?

Some of you guys I swear to god...
View Quote

Your reading comprehension is substandard.    Several members related that guys at the local Grease Monkey shop stripped out bolts with airguns.     That- is a common occurrence.   No need to swear to God, or any other supernatural deity.  

The magnet guy?    Well he seems pretty proud of his invention.   Maybe he’s forgetful and it’s reassuring to always know where the proper wrench is.  In the ancient old days, people used to stick keys like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why you can't take GD seriously in oil, filter, or tire threads.  Too many ignorant and uninformed opinions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I have fumotos on both my car and truck.  Still have to jack up the car, as it is lowered, but only one side and it aids in draining.

My truck, I stick a 5 gallon bucket under it and wait 15 minutes for it to drain....  super easy, but time consuming.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is why you can't take GD seriously in oil, filter, or tire threads.  Too many ignorant and uninformed opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, GD was right on the money with using newspaper and windex to clean the inside of the windshield. So GD knowledge is at least on par with bums standing at intersections.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On the other hand, GD was right on the money with using newspaper and windex to clean the inside of the windshield. So GD knowledge is at least on par with bums standing at intersections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, that's not a secret.  It's been around for 30+ years.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but it sounded stupid to me, so I didn't try it until yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dun belie it
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Sure Drain unit on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Works great.

Sure Drain Fast Access Oil Change Drain Plug System
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I run the fumoto on my F250, going places most posters will never take their Prius. Having it "accidentally open" or get sheared off is pretty much about as likely as aliens coming to abduct you.

Dont get me wrong. I wouldnt run one on a dedicated rock crawler, but even normal offroad use you are fine. And Jesus it makes changes easy as can be. Flip a switch and it drains. Who doesnt want that? I hate the mess trying to get a drain plug off. No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just what I want, a valve that would have a chance of opening unintentionally.

Do the normal thing, get your husband to change the oil.
View Quote

Had this happen to me. Ran over some sage brush and opened the valve. Luckily someone on the ground noticed it fairly quick.

(Dunno what brand or if it was some hack mechanics doing, but it sure as hell opened up)
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I have fumoto on both my cars.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a fumoto on my F150. Bigger pain is dealing with the filter that has an oil maze on the skid plate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
whats hilarious is how many retards wear being able to change your oil as some sort of badge of honor. as in look at me i am an expert car workeroner
View Quote

I blame the Autozone commercials.  "Hoods up, America!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a Sure Drain unit on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRv8bD9cBo
View Quote
Looks just like my Blazer and the reason I won't use a fumoto on it.  I used the fram ones too, but they stopped making them long ago.  One on suburban valve doesn't work and when the cap is unscrewed it runs out like a normal drain plug.  Saw one on ebay for like $15 but the gaskets are probably dry rotting.  

Ordered 2 Valvomax.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I use Fumoto valves on the Carrier and Thermoking reefer units on our trucks.  The original setup is an NPT cap on a short rubber ‘whip’ hose.  Makes a big mess.  Kinda sketched out by the prospect of using a quick-release valve in close proximity to the ground, but I completely understand why someone would want to do so.

Quoted:
i installed a SureDrain on my bought-new Tacoma 3.4L V6 at the very first oil change, and sold the truck at 280K miles.
the SureDrain has roughly the same profile as the OEM drain plug -- it's pretty low profile.
the mating "drain hose" has a mechanical feature on the end which pushes a spring-loaded ball off of it's seal.
it never leaked a drop.

the guy who bought it from me a year ago still has it on.  

it made DIY oil changes a snap.  i did 10K OCI using M1 5W-30.   no internal engine issues.  
in fact, now that i think about it, i only ever replaced the serpentine belt and the water pump.  
everything else under the hood -- with the exception of the battery -- was as-delivered in 2001.
View Quote

You put 280k miles on the original timing belt?  

ETA nevermind; I’m sure the water pump service included a new belt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Been changing oil on vehicles since I was 5 thanks to my Grandpa.56 now, and still do it the same way... it ain't that hard. Why add an extra part that will sooner than later fail?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I use Fumoto valves on the Carrier and Thermoking reefer units on our trucks.  The original setup is an NPT cap on a short rubber ‘whip’ hose.  Makes a big mess.  Kinda sketched out by the prospect of using a quick-release valve in close proximity to the ground, but I completely understand why someone would want to do so.

You put 280k miles on the original timing belt?  

ETA nevermind; I’m sure the water pump service included a new belt.
View Quote

I've serviced a few Hondas and Toyotas that came close.  (230k ish)
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Get someone to teach you how to operate a socket and ratchet. Wear gloves so you don't mess up your manicure.

People who work on shit for a living are laughing now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Get someone to teach you how to operate a socket and ratchet. Wear gloves so you don't mess up your manicure.

People who work on shit for a living are laughing now.
View Quote

The people getting laughed at are those who are resistant to change and innovation via stubborn ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Cars come with a bolt that holds oil in. Why waste money on this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#49]
19mm for the 4 runner guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, I own a wrench.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top