Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leave the TQ on until its removed by the paramedic or surgeon.  Combat usage has shown it can be on for a very long time before causing damage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tourniquets at the right pressure are painful, sometimes more than the wound itself.  Tighten it until bleed stops.  Relieve pressure after 30 minutes so you don't have necrosis.  

This is outdated.

What's the current procedure?

Leave the TQ on until its removed by the paramedic or surgeon.  Combat usage has shown it can be on for a very long time before causing damage.

This was the way in 2008ish. I recall that TC3 recommends an attempt to relieve the tourniquet if higher level medicine is not available within xx hours.

I mean look at the subject of this thread. Guy quik-clotted his thumb. I doubt if 10% of people carrying tourniquets around even know how to apply them. Let alone when they are indicated or contraindicated, or how to assess the efficacy. A lot depends on availability of higher-level care.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This was the way in 2008ish. I recall that TC3 recommends an attempt to relieve the tourniquet if higher level medicine is not available within xx hours.

I mean look at the subject of this thread. Guy quik-clotted his thumb. I doubt if 10% of people carrying tourniquets around even know how to apply them. Let alone when they are indicated or contraindicated, or how to assess the efficacy. A lot depends on availability of higher-level care.
View Quote

Went to a shooting match that included a tq stage.... Most people had a tq on their belts, most people took forever trying to work a tq 5 minutes after a retired paramedic gave a 5 minute lecture on how to use them. Heaven forbid when they flicked it open and the loop came out..... Some took 3/4 minutes to get the TQ on the dummy....
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not a doctor, but I believe Celox impregnated bandages are preferred over the QuickClot powder. From what I remember, the QuickClot stuff is medium nasty and needs to be scrubbed from the wound before closure.  I think it is also exothermic and can cause burns. It will stop the bleeding though.
View Quote
It'll also blind you if it gets in your eyes.  So if you ever have to use it, just hope you're not outside in the wind.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tourniquets at the right pressure are painful, sometimes more than the wound itself.  Tighten it until bleed stops.  Relieve pressure after 30 minutes so you don't have necrosis.  

This is outdated.

can't get much easier than this:

https://www.stopthebleed.org/training/online-course/
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry for the small size.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe just use direct pressure next time?  Does not sound like a life threatening injury at all.  More of a simple boo boo.  Waste of quick clot.  IFAKs are for life threatening trauma, not for treating boo boos.
View Quote

While yeah direct pressure would work just fine for something minor like this, nothing wrong with busting out the quik clot and playing.

Especially if you've never used it before.  A minor thing like this gives you a good functional test of it's capabilities.  The military used to do live tissue training with pigs--OP just trained on his own body.  Win/win and no PETA freaks protesting.

I did this a couple weeks ago and just used a pressure dressing and drove myself to the ER.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Learn first aid and you will wonder why you posted this
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We were told to carry quickclot on my local sar team for the sole reason of possible allergic reactions to gauzes with chitosan which is derviced from shellfish.

Quickclot has been shown to be effective with most prescription blood thinners and aspirin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We were told to carry quickclot on my local sar team for the sole reason of possible allergic reactions to gauzes with chitosan which is derviced from shellfish.

Quickclot has been shown to be effective with most prescription blood thinners and aspirin.

This isn’t correct. Study on allergic reactions.

Abstract

Background: In 2005, the Office of the Surgeon General mandated that every soldier carry a HemCon bandage. Made from chitosan, a polysaccharide derived from shrimp shells, this bandage effectively stops bleeding. There are no studies reporting the safety of this bandage in shellfish allergic patients.

Methods: Patients who reported shellfish allergy were recruited. Initial assessment included a detailed history, IgE skin prick testing (SPT), and serum testing to shellfish allergens. Participants who demonstrated specific shellfish IgE underwent a bandage challenge.

Results: Nineteen participants were enrolled; 10 completed the study. Seven (70%) were male and the average age was 44.8 + 10 years. Nine (90%) reported a shrimp allergy history and five (50%) reported multiple shellfish allergies. All participants completing the study had positive SPT and serum IgE testing to at least one shellfish; eight (80%) had shrimp positive SPT and ten (100%) demonstrated shrimp-specific IgE. No participant had a positive SPT to chitosan powder or experienced an adverse reaction during bandage challenges. No protein bands were visualized during gel electrophoresis analysis of chitosan powder.

Conclusion: All participants tolerated the HemCon bandage without reaction. This is the first study demonstrating the safety of this bandage in shellfish allergic subjects.

Combat gauze is good for most anti coagulants?
Why chance it?

Combat gauze is 5 minutes of direct pressure, celox rapid is 3  almost 1/2 the time to move on to the next guy.

I go with celox rapid every chance I get.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While yeah direct pressure would work just fine for something minor like this, nothing wrong with busting out the quik clot and playing.

Especially if you've never used it before.  A minor thing like this gives you a good functional test of it's capabilities.  The military used to do live tissue training with pigs--OP just trained on his own body.  Win/win and no PETA freaks protesting.

I did this a couple weeks ago and just used a pressure dressing and drove myself to the ER.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_2261_JPG-2945468.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Learn first aid and you will wonder why you posted this
View Quote

Also, learn about tetanus.

It’s more of a myth than cuntvid……
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_2261_JPG-2945468.JPG

https://i.imgur.com/5awYQL1.jpg

Wow that looks painful!  It has small spikes on it to keep it in place?  Oof.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow that looks painful!  It has small spikes on it to keep it in place?  Oof.
View Quote

Pain is good, it means you are still alive.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top