Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is absolutely incredible and is a testament to the safety of modern automobiles.

Assuming your uncle was driving near the speed limit, that's around a 165 mph closing speed.  Vehicles even a few years ago simply couldn't protect occupants from those kids of forces.

The Charger is not a small car and its weight depending on trim is not much less than the 4Runner.

The 4Runner, however, is a body-on-frame SUV and is very stoutly built- the Lexus GX and the European Land Cruiser Prado (baby Land Cruiser) are basically the same vehicle.  Toyota has had many years of incremental improvement to get the 4Runner where it is today.

It's unfortunate that the deputy's lapse in judgement cost him his life but your uncle was very fortunate that he was in one of the best vehicles in the world.
View Quote
The Charger really didn't take it that bad for the speed.

Hitting a bigger taller vehicle at speed it was at a disadvantage from the start.  Being the faster moving vehicle it had a much more drastic change in speed when it hit the bigger SUV too.

A wreck in a "good car/truck" is not a guarantee for survival.  Nor is an older vehicle a death sentence.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damn, have they made updates to safety with the new model or is my '14 2500 up to snuff?

Glad you're ok OP, sorry you had to go through this.
View Quote
I generally prefer IIHS over NHTSA testing (private vs government), but it appears the IIHS doesn't test HD pickups.

NHTSA gave your truck 4 stars: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/RAM/2500/PU%25252FCC/4WD

Four stars in 2014 is fine. There were no major improvements between then and the introduction of the new Ram HD which I think is a 2020 model, so I'd suggest keeping your truck for at least a little while.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I see the 2017 F250 got 5 stars all around for the 2WD model, with the 4WD losing a star on the rollover rating due to the slightly higher profile.

I imagine I'm good to go in the F350 4x4 dually.  Her wide hips probably give her a little stability.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I generally prefer IIHS over NHTSA testing (private vs government), but it appears the IIHS doesn't test HD pickups.

NHTSA gave your truck 4 stars: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/RAM/2500/PU%25252FCC/4WD

Four stars in 2014 is fine. There were no major improvements between then and the introduction of the new Ram HD which I think is a 2020 model, so I'd suggest keeping your truck for at least a little while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, have they made updates to safety with the new model or is my '14 2500 up to snuff?

Glad you're ok OP, sorry you had to go through this.

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
@gsiebrecht  Any updates?

On another note, do you have a copy of Utility Suite V 7.5.9?

(I bought a new (not classic) 2019 RAM on Sunday for the better half)
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow OP.

Go buy a lottery ticket and play the numbers from your plate and VIN.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you are ok bud. Rams are built like tanks.  I hit a large buck on the highway doing 70 after only having my 2011 1500 for a month. It plowed through it.  I always feel safe behind the wheel
Hope it all works out for you with the accident.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top