Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2021 8:42:07 AM EDT
So I'm curious as to what religion the "Women of the denim skirt" belong to.  I often see them grocery shopping, usually in pairs and never with a man.  The uniform from the waist down is oddly the same for all:  long denim skirt and sensible tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I assumed they were Jewesses?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know,  but am more curious about the short denim skirts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Do they have name tags? They may be Sister’s on a mission.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Down here they are usually Pentecostals.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Pentecostal If they have long hair too

eta- beat by 1 second
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'm curious as to what religion the "Women of the denim skirt" belong to.  I often see them grocery shopping, usually in pairs and never with a man.  The uniform from the waist down is oddly the same for all:  long denim skirt and sensible tennis shoes.
View Quote

Baptist. They teach that women aren't supposed to wear the clothes of a man, hence denim skirt instead of jeans.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on how easily they come off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Homeschoolers. Usually some variation of Christianity.

Around here they don’t seem to homeschool OR discipline their kids.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Usually Menonites, Apostolics, or Pentacostals around here. You also might notice they wear no jewelry or makeup and never cut their hair.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Always have loooong hair too
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Around here they are all Puerto Rican Pentacostals.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
They were popular in the eighties in high school.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Around here the Mennonite women dress like that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thaaat's it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#15]
popular among 'church ladies'

pics aren't loading, hard to be more specific
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Pentecostals , a lot of them smoke cigarettes too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Baptist. They teach that women aren't supposed to wear the clothes of a man, hence denim skirt instead of jeans.
View Quote

Not any of the 8 billion Baptist churches I’ve seen in NC.  Pretty sure it’s Pentecostal here.  I had a friend growing up that wore the denim skirt but I never asked her the deal on it.  She quit that shit when she got older.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

eta- beat by 1 second
View Quote

That’s what I’ve always heard.  Used to see quite a few of them when I was a kid, but I can’t remember the last one I’ve seen.  I see more nuns nowadays compared to the Pentecostal women.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Pentecostals for sure. There were 4 in my highschool one year, 3 of the 4 came a back to school bonfire party at the farm and decided to ditch those silly assed skirts and comically long white t-shirts on and joined in on the festivities and jumped in the creek with some of us. These chicks were untouched and built like. I don't think they were suppose to do any of that
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Did they have covers? Little white doilie lookin' things on the backs of their heads? Them's Mennonites around here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Pentecostal as said before. The long hair being already mentioned. And no makeup, and not unpleasant to look at, usually.

Other denominations may be similar. Mennonite, etc
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a single picture. OP and everyone else fails at life
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not any of the 8 billion Baptist churches I’ve seen in NC.  Pretty sure it’s Pentecostal here.  I had a friend growing up that wore the denim skirt but I never asked her the deal on it.  She quit that shit when she got older.
View Quote

I attended a Pentecostal church as a kid, don't remember any ladies wearing denim skirts.  Attended an independent Baptist church with my ex wife, 80% of the women wore denim skirts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did they have covers? Little white doilie lookin' things on the backs of their heads? Them's Mennonites around here.
View Quote
No.  I lived in Newton Kansas when I was younger.  I know all about the Mennonite Mafia.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a neighbor dressed that way. Whole family strictly religious. We lived out and one day I saw her in pants doing yard work, scandalous.
She didnt expect to be seen out where we lived.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Get all three.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No.  I lived in Newton Kansas when I was younger.  I know all about the Mennonite Mafia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean "sin sifters"  Mennonites and Brethren wear them here. I think Brethren is kinda like Amish or Mennonite Lite.

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Hnnnggg....dat exposed mid calf!

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pentecostals for sure. There were 4 in my highschool one year, 3 of the 4 came a back to school bonfire party at the farm and decided to ditch those silly assed skirts and comically long white t-shirts on and joined in on the festivities and jumped in the creek with some of us. These chicks were untouched and built like. I don't think they were suppose to do any of that
View Quote

James McMurtry "Choctaw Bingo"
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

eta- beat by 1 second
View Quote
And no make up
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Holiness Baptist where I’m from.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You mean "sin sifters"  Mennonites and Brethren wear them here. I think Brethren is kinda like Amish or Mennonite Lite.

View Quote
Funny thing about the Mennonites is their different levels of adherence to the doctrine (whatever that is).  Some would drive normal cars.  Others would drive cars, usually a Chevy Caprice, but they would paint all the chrome black.

And they're all named Yoder.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#37]
German baptist/mennonite/brethren around here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of the Baptist churchesI know especially ones I know of that home school kids and believe girls should not wear pants wear long skirts. But hey what do I know I grew up I'm Baptist churches and still independent Baptist. Usually the smaller Baptist churches that are strict kjv. I can name a bunch in Fayetteville, spring lake, asheville, sanford,around Campbell University and so on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Grew up around Mennonites, modern stuff but no luxury items. No denim skirts/dresses that I remember.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#40]
God Wants There To Be A Distinction Between The Sexes. Deuteronomy 22:5 “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” ... Wearing Skirts Easily Adorns A Woman In Modesty.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Holiness Baptist where I’m from.
View Quote

Yeah, it was Holiness in north Alabama when I was growing up. Not sure if they are Baptist, Pentecostal, or something else.  Never remember seeing any other denomination identifier on the church names.

They also did the speaking in tongues and snake handling thing.

Story from that area in 2013.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Grew up around Mennonites, modern stuff but no luxury items. No denim skirts/dresses that I remember.
View Quote

I see Mennonites all the time. I don’t see them wearing denim.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
God Wants There To Be A Distinction Between The Sexes. Deuteronomy 22:5 “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” ... Wearing Skirts Easily Adorns A Woman In Modesty.
View Quote

Pretty sure that pertains to the roles of men and women. The Baptists took it literally.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#45]
It's generally one of the various pentecostal denominations (United Pentecostal Holiness and also many smaller or more independent denominations, as well), but women in some holiness churches are required to wear non-sexualized feminine attire, as well.  There are a few independent baptist churches that teach that women should wear modest clothing and that women are not to wear men's clothing, so pants are pretty well out.  That is not a common baptist distinctive, though.  Mennonite, Amish, and Hutterites traditionally wore distinctive outfits, but some congregations have gone more modern, and dress more similar to what you're talking about.

For most, a dress is also acceptable, rather than just a skirt.  They also can't show cleavage or midriff, and must wear sleeves of some length.  The length of the skirt or dress is variable depending on denomination or congregation, with some requiring something much longer.  Cutting of hair is often discouraged or prohibited.

Men have a dress code, as well in a lot of those churches.  Long pants, sleeves of some length, no bare chest, etc. are often requirements.  Also, they generally require short hair.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Most of the Baptist churchesI know especially ones I know of that home school kids and believe girls should not wear pants wear long skirts. But hey what do I know I grew up I'm Baptist churches and still independent Baptist. Usually the smaller Baptist churches that are strict kjv. I can name a bunch in Fayetteville, spring lake, asheville, sanford,around Campbell University and so on.
View Quote

I grew up baptist as well. None of the ones in my location do that, but then again they don’t promote home schooling either so the children actually get to lead normal lives and learn how to interact with society and people different than themselves.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Growing up in southern WV they were Church of God women.  So much so that I never even thought of them being anything else.

Denim skirt, long long hair, goes to church on Saturday instead of Sunday.

My uncle married one, she was a horrible woman.  Her daughter from a previous marriage had a baby with her drug dealer after said uncle and woman got divorced.  

Not a reflection on all of them though.  Her parents were married from youth until they died of old age.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that pertains to the roles of men and women. The Baptists took it literally.
View Quote

Idk it states nit to adorned the clothing, I think that's pretty clear, but I guess I should pull out my Bible and actually read it lol.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#50]

They be rough looking, but I bet they do some rather fun shit to keep a man.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top