Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no way a 150' wide meteor made a crater that big on impact alone. I don't care how fast it was moving.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Velocity matters a lot more than size.

https://www.wikipremed.com/image_science_archive_68/010103_68/104950_05901_68.jpg

That's what I keep telling my wife, but she ain't buying it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, but a definite Clark Griswold/Grand Canyon moment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Man... Good thing it didn't hit that building!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Imagine you are talking to some guy who knows nothing about firearms, handed him a 55gr 5.56mm bullet, and told him that this could easily kill a man. He might laugh at the idea that anything that small could be so destructive, no matter how hard you threw it.

But, in his experiences, he is thinking of how fast you can throw something. Baseball pitchers can throw a fastball at about 140fps or so. A 5.56mm bullet is “thrown” at about 3,000fps, (depending on all the stuff everyone here is very familiar with.) That’s 21 times faster.

Escape velocity from Earth is 7 miles per second, and this is the absolute lowest speed a meteor can hit Earth’s atmosphere. The Earth moves around the sun at something like 19 miles a second and everything else is moving around at similar speeds. So it’s real easy to get an impact speed of 10, 15, or 20 miles per second. That really fast 5.56mm bullet exits the barrel doing slightly less than 0.6 miles per second.

OK…

Now, the volume of a sphere is 4/3*pi*r^3

So, if the meteorite was 150 feet in diameter, and it were a perfect sphere, then its total volume was 1,766,250 cubic feet. A cubic foot of water weights a bit over 62 pounds. Nickel/iron weighs about 8 times what water does. So, that meteorite would have weighed 876,060,000 pounds or 438,000 tons.

Now, the way if figure it, explosions are destructive because the explosive compound decomposes with so much energy that all the atoms of the explosive start moving in random directions really fast. How fast, well, TNT has a velocity of about 4.3 miles per second which is a lot slower than that meteorite was moving when it hit.

You know that a relatively tiny device called a “hydrogen bomb” can produce craters like that, right? Then it should be easy to see how some 150 foot chunk of iron moving at those kinds of speeds could do the same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no way a 150' wide meteor made a crater that big on impact alone. I don't care how fast it was moving.

Imagine you are talking to some guy who knows nothing about firearms, handed him a 55gr 5.56mm bullet, and told him that this could easily kill a man. He might laugh at the idea that anything that small could be so destructive, no matter how hard you threw it.

But, in his experiences, he is thinking of how fast you can throw something. Baseball pitchers can throw a fastball at about 140fps or so. A 5.56mm bullet is “thrown” at about 3,000fps, (depending on all the stuff everyone here is very familiar with.) That’s 21 times faster.

Escape velocity from Earth is 7 miles per second, and this is the absolute lowest speed a meteor can hit Earth’s atmosphere. The Earth moves around the sun at something like 19 miles a second and everything else is moving around at similar speeds. So it’s real easy to get an impact speed of 10, 15, or 20 miles per second. That really fast 5.56mm bullet exits the barrel doing slightly less than 0.6 miles per second.

OK…

So, if the meteorite was 150 feet in diameter, and it were a perfect sphere, then its total volume was 1,766,250 cubic feet. A cubic foot of water weights a bit over 62 pounds. Nickel/iron weighs about 8 times what water does. So, that meteorite would have weighed 876,060,000 pounds or 438,000 tons.

Now, the way if figure it, explosions are destructive because the explosive compound decomposes with so much energy that all the atoms of the explosive start moving in random directions really fast. How fast, well, TNT has a velocity of about 4.3 miles per second which is a lot slower than that meteorite was moving when it hit.

You know that a relatively tiny device called a “hydrogen bomb” can produce craters like that, right? Then it should be easy to see how some 150 foot chunk of iron moving at those kinds of speeds could do the same thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a comment but I'm not shitting in someone's thread, so I'll go with cool thread!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Kudos to Thuban for actually providing an intelligent response to my comment supported with actual data.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.wikipremed.com/image_science_archive_68/010103_68/104950_05901_68.jpg

Pearls before swine ...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting for about 3 minutes is right.    Stopped in there on the way to CWW2.  

"Yep.   That's a big a hole in the ground.... ok moving on..."
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]

For those wondering about the structures down in the crater, it was an attempt to mine the big lump of nickel-iron they thought was just below the surface.

They spent quite a bit money and effort, with only small bits and pieces being recovered.

The problem was that the meteorite wasn't big enough to survive the impact intact, or in large enough pieces to be recovered.

Impacts have occurred in the past that have left mineable deposits of nickel-iron, such as the Sudbury Basin in Canada...that one was estimated to be 6.5 to 9 miles wide.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one in Australia is now considered the largest impact in Earth's history.
The asteroid split into two 6 mile wide objects creating twin craters spanning 250 miles.
Previous record holder was the Vredefort Crater in South Africa.

Link:
Asteroid Impact  

View Quote

There may be one in Antarctica that's even larger than that and it may be linked to the "Great Dying" (Permian-Triassic extinction) that paved the way for the dinosaurs:  Antarctica Giant Impact Crater
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe it was the first discovery of a meteor in the world.

Astronauts trained on the bottom in the 1960's.

In the museum, an employee was telling kids that if they could pick up the 1.5ft meteorite on display they can take it home.

Kids tried, the employee informed them that it weighs as much as a Volkswagen Beetle.

That thing is more dense than the spectators at Democratic Conventions.
View Quote

Nope. The ancients used meteoric iron for tools and weapons before the iron age.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Imagine something happening like that again. It would be total chaos.
View Quote

Lucifers Hammer
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are  you being serious? Because, physics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All rocks are from space. Time+pressure changed the rocks to look different on Earth.  Hell, the rock you bought it from the same star as the Earth and all of the other matter in our solar system and it escaped for a little while, then came back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey I've been there! Awesome place!

At the recent gem and mineral show, I picked up a chunk of meteorite from Argentina. It was in SPACE! SPACE ROCK!!!

All rocks are from space. Time+pressure changed the rocks to look different on Earth.  Hell, the rock you bought it from the same star as the Earth and all of the other matter in our solar system and it escaped for a little while, then came back.

Fine. It is a VINTAGE space rock, probably about as old as the earth is, and unmolested by weathering, tectonic forces, mixing and melding with other elements and minerals.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am not sure how that is possible since the earth is only about 6,000 years old
View Quote

Obviously it's a fake.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been to those a long time ago. Neat history of our planet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
... It's in my "backyard". Enjoy visiting it when I'm close by. Get something different out of it each time
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nougat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's in the middle?

Nougat.

I lost.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're say'n is, it's not the size that matters but more how you use it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So what you're say'n is, it's not the size that matters but more how you use it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may not be big - but I'm quick.....

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is the largest remaining chunk of the Barringer meteorite.

It's about the size of two basketballs.  The curator let me try to lift it.  I am pretty damn strong...I put EVERYTHING into it and I couldn't even BEGIN to feel this thing want to think about possibly even considering moving.
Now make it 150 feet in diameter SPHERICALLY and move it at around 20,000 feet per second.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#22]
The parking lot is nice.
Wife and I stopped there a couple years ago on our way to Vegas.
Walked in and saw the price and decided I can see all the pictures I could want of a crater in the ground for free online.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#23]

"We go to Arizona Maybe."

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I only visited it once when I lived there; cool place none the less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]

It was back before I had a cell phone, but I always had to stop at a pay phone in Winslow just to call someone I knew and state "I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow AZ..."

What a dork
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So how do we know it was only 150 feet?
View Quote

Math.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ever look at the Gulf of Mexico pal?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one in Australia is now considered the largest impact in Earth's history.
The asteroid split into two 6 mile wide objects creating twin craters spanning 250 miles.
Previous record holder was the Vredefort Crater in South Africa.

Link:
Asteroid Impact  

Ever look at the Gulf of Mexico pal?  

That is the Chicxulub crater formed 66 million years ago is 110 miles wide, 12 miles deep
and is the THIRD largest behind the Vredefort and newly discovered Austrailan impact previously noted.

You can read up here:
Gulf of Mexico crater
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It cracks me up that somebody bought the crater, and tried to find the asteroid to no avail.

All that time, the remnants were right under his feet, right in the dirt he sifted, in the form of microscopic iron droplets.

How could anyone think that the object which made that hole would have survived?
View Quote

It hate to rain on your parade, but it is only in the last 50 years or so that the we have figured these things out.  No one knew the size but most estimated it a lot bigger that it really was.  

I collected rocks as a kid over 50 years ago.  Even then the theory of plate tectonics (First proposed in 1912 and then "disproven" by the scientific community) was pretty much laughed at by the more learned geology community.  I have geology books from the 50's that don't mention it at all.   Before that things like mountains etc were caused by the earth shrinking and cracking as it cooled over the ages.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The parking lot is nice.

Walked in and saw the price and decided I can see all the pictures I could want of a crater in the ground for free online.
View Quote

How much do they want?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK…

Do you have enough info to figure out the "muzzle energy" in ft lbs?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's in the middle?
View Quote

it didn't hit the middle, it actually struck and an angle and the meteor was embedded in one of the side walls.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So how do we know it was only 150 feet?
View Quote

you can calculate the weight based on what it was made of and how big the hole is. Then you can calculate how big it would need to be to weigh that much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Imagine something happening like that again. It would be total chaos.
View Quote

killed everything within 100 miles on impact.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I had always heard that object was the size of a railroad car...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

F=MA

and all the other ballistic equations.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How much do they want?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The parking lot is nice.

How much do they want?

Almost two years ago now so my memory is a little rusty on that. I think it was like 37 bucks a person or so.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey I've been there! Awesome place!

At the recent gem and mineral show, I picked up a chunk of meteorite from Argentina. It was in SPACE! SPACE ROCK!!!

Not quite true, as sedimentary and igneous rocks clearly have their origins here. If you want to argue that the original material for the earth was from space, then fine, but not all rocks started out in space.  There are plenty of chemical and geological processes that disagree with the blanket statement made.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Imagine when something happenings like that again. It would will be total chaos.
View Quote

FIFY
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top