BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You never know.  You might walk out into your backyard, and there's a bear silhouette coming out of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5C2gihnEkE
View Quote
That was great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That was great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never know.  You might walk out into your backyard, and there's a bear silhouette coming out of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5C2gihnEkE
That was great.
Bruh I lost it when they showed it “running away”
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bruh I lost it when they showed it “running away”
View Quote
"I'm good, I'm faster than a bear." Says the rabbit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe the rabbit is packin' a 5.7?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, that's Slowpoke Rodriguez.

He pack a gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You rang?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger 57: Then the World Changed
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
45 Minutes. Is he at least got some hotties or something?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
45 Minutes. Is he at least got some hotties or something?
View Quote
Lol. No hotties. He does rip a couple of nice farts. Not kidding.

For the most part I actually like NutnFancy. He puts a lot of rounds through most of the guns he reviews and takes the time to do a deeper dive into the pros/cons. But most people these days seem to have a short attention span. So I get why they don’t care for his videos.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You rang?
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lol. No hotties. He does rip a couple of nice farts. Not kidding.

For the most part I actually like NutnFancy. He puts a lot of rounds through most of the guns he reviews and takes the time to do a deeper dive into the pros/cons. But most people these days seem to have a short attention span. So I get why they don't care for his videos.
View Quote
I can at least now watch him at 1.5x :D
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Been thinking more about factory 5.7 offerings.

One of the easiest would be for Federal to switch from the 40gr V-MAX to the 40gr Nosler for the SS197 'blue tip' load.

Currently, SS197 has inconsistent expansion because the 40gr V-MAX has a threshold expansion range of 1700fps, and SS197 is 1710-1750fps. The result is sometimes we see expansion/fragmentation, and sometimes we don't:

Both of these were fired by 5pins into the same clear ballistics block on the same day from the same gun from the same ammo lot, to illustrate the issue:

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/431329-fnh-5-7x28-clear-ballistics-gel.html

The Nosler, by comparison, has very thin tapered jacket at the nose, to allow full expansion at 1600fps, while the solid copper base keeps the projectile together at higher velocities. It also has a slightly better BC due to the boat tail design, for a bit better velocity retention at range.

So simply switching projectiles for SS197 would greatly improve its performance.

Even better would be a new 'SS199' load, warmed up to 1850fps / 304 ftlbs, and using the 40gr Nosler.

Since Elite and Handloaders can reliably load the 5.7 w/ 40gr to 1950-2000fps, a 1850fps load would be perfectly safe for mass manufacture. And this would greatly increase the interest in 5.7 as a self defense cartridge; 300 ft/lbs is in line with many 147gr 9mm loads in terms of energy.

Since the Nosler projectile is a thin skinned lead tip, there would be no PR penetration concerns by increasing the velocity.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can at least now watch him at 1.5x :D
View Quote

Short version, he really likes the Ruger 5.7. No issues. Shot really well. Really likes the trigger. Sights aren’t perfect, but the adjustability seemed to work well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One of the easiest would be for Federal to switch from the 40gr V-MAX to the 40gr Nosler for the SS197 'blue tip' load.

Currently, SS197 has inconsistent expansion because the 40gr V-MAX has a threshold expansion range of 1700fps, and SS197 is 1710-1750fps. The result is sometimes we see expansion/fragmentation, and sometimes we don't:

Both of these were fired by 5pins into the same clear ballistics block on the same day from the same gun from the same ammo lot, to illustrate the issue:
http://i.imgur.com/Cn4L3xTl.jpg?1
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/431329-fnh-5-7x28-clear-ballistics-gel.html

The Nosler, by comparison, has very thin tapered jacket at the nose, to allow full expansion at 1600fps, while the solid copper base keeps the projectile together at higher velocities. It also has a slightly better BC due to the boat tail design, for a bit better velocity retention at range.

https://i.ibb.co/D8ryLQ8/Nosler-40gr-SS199-5-7.png

I'm still more excited about the possibility of a longer .22TCM or a slightly shorter .221 Fireball in the Ruger 57. In the meantime the 5.7 will do
So simply switching projectiles for SS197 would greatly improve its performance.

Even better would be a new 'SS199' load, warmed up to 1850fps / 304 ftlbs, and using the 40gr Nosler.

Since Elite and Handloaders can reliably load the 5.7 w/ 40gr to 1950-2000fps, a 1850fps load would be perfectly safe for mass manufacture. And this would greatly increase the interest in 5.7 as a self defense cartridge; 300 ft/lbs is in line with many 147gr 9mm loads in terms of energy.

Since the Nosler projectile is a thin skinned lead tip, there would be no PR penetration concerns by increasing the velocity.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holy shit if they made that in their PCC. The PC57.
View Quote
That I would buy...Ruger, are you listening?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Cn4L3xTl.jpg?1

https://i.ibb.co/D8ryLQ8/Nosler-40gr-SS199-5-7.png

View Quote
40 gr .224 bullets that you seek that give the controlled expansion and meet the FBI penetration standards exist. They can also be purchased as components for hand loading.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my Ruger 57 sample in. Very nice pistol. Definitely easily worth $600. However there are a few fitment things that definitely leave the FN FSN above it in quality. The trigger though >>> FN
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Are these guns just beginning to get to distributors?  They are complete unobtanium online, just makes me wonder if they are really getting out there yet in any real numbers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are these guns just beginning to get to distributors?  They are complete unobtanium online, just makes me wonder if they are really getting out there yet in any real numbers.
View Quote
I kinda feel like they didn't think it would sell this good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Any word on any other manufacturer coming out with a 5.7?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only thing I heard is that it's a much smaller company than Ruger and very unlikely to be price competitive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They definitely didn't make enough for demand, because like most here they probably figured it'd be a niche item and they were being cautious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Ruger keeps on making guns that people want.

I've no idea why people don't appreciate that more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Screen name checks out
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love Ruger

I don't love that they keep making things that I want to spend my limited money on. It makes saving and being responsible much harder. I miss when gun makers just made blinged-out 1911s, glocks with holes in different places, and a million generic AR15s when they wanted to change up their product line.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I am no fan of Ruger, but I own two Five-seveNs and carry one daily in a Safariland SLS.  I will be interested in seeing their new trigger that everyone is so gaga about.

Frankly I am very surprised at the favorable reaction to this pistol as probably 100% of the people won't even wear it as an EDC.

You love it but it is larger than your KelTec P3-AT so you won't carry it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am no fan of Ruger, but I own two Five-seveNs and carry one daily in a Safariland SLS.  I will be interested in seeing their new trigger that everyone is so gaga about.

Frankly I am very surprised at the favorable reaction to this pistol as probably 100% of the people won't even wear it as an EDC.

You love it but it is larger than your KelTec P3-AT so you won't carry it.
View Quote
Some people adjust what they carry, based on their plans for the day.  I've been "to" Memphis (not just driving through on the interstate) exactly one time since the 1970s.  On that day, I switched from the 9mm I had been carrying, to .357Sig, and added two spare mags.  I haven't carried the KelTec P3-AT in years, because I haven't needed something that easy to conceal (and better than a sharp stick) in that time.

If I buy one of the Ruger 57s, it will likely be after enough time has passed that any 'kinks' have been worked out by Ruger, and the aftermarket (holsters, mods, etc) has had time to catch up.  There's also the issue of adding another caliber that I will have to stock up on, and I currently have 3 calibers that I'm trying to do that with.  It does look interesting, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some people adjust what they carry, based on their plans for the day.  I've been "to" Memphis (not just driving through on the interstate) exactly one time since the 1970s.  On that day, I switched from the 9mm I had been carrying, to .357Sig, and added two spare mags.  I haven't carried the KelTec P3-AT in years, because I haven't needed something that easy to conceal (and better than a sharp stick) in that time.

If I buy one of the Ruger 57s, it will likely be after enough time has passed that any 'kinks' have been worked out by Ruger, and the aftermarket (holsters, mods, etc) has had time to catch up.  There's also the issue of adding another caliber that I will have to stock up on, and I currently have 3 calibers that I'm trying to do that with.  It does look interesting, though.
View Quote
I agree with what you are saying but as someone who is from Memphis.  That’s rather excessive for a small trip
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it RDS ready?

if they are...I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

IIRC, his review of the FN FiveseveN pistol had several glaring errors in the review.
View Quote
That's usually what happens when somebody who likes to hear themselves talk tries to bloviate on a topic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lcp
RPR

I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

But just those alone make me say "take my money"  I'm the past I wouldn't even look at a ruger other than 10/22 or thr 44mag PCC
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Picked up mine nearly two weeks ago.  Went to the range last week and shot it against my FN FiveseveN USG.  To be honest, I like shooting the FN a little better. The Ruger seemed a little more snappy to me, and I didn’t care as much for the slimmer grip. The wider FN felt better in my hand. The Ruger also had a more rearward ejection, so when I was shooting SS197, I was getting pelted with cases bouncing off the walls of the shooting stall. With the same ammo, the FN cases were bouncing slightly forward and not on me. The slide release on the Ruger did loosen up a little from being stiff out of the box, but I still think it’s too small, and the 1911 style extended safety lever gets in the way a bit when trying to release it with my thumb. The FN slide release is much better. Also loading the Ruger mags was a bit more difficult because of their decision to put little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward, but the practical effect when loading is that you have to load the rounds straight from the top. If the round is a little forward and the rim is in front of the detent, you have to slide the round out forward and try again, because you can’t simply slide the round all the way back. I did like the Ruger front FO sight. Trigger and accuracy seemed to be on a par with each other; I didn’t have any real preference of one over the other, except for recoil for which I preferred the FN. Reliability on both was 100% on mine with the limited amount of SS196 and SS197 that I used. Overall, I don’t think I’d trade my FN for a Ruger, but I’m sure the price difference is going to drive a lot of people to the Ruger no matter what. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not pistol, but CMMG has come out with Banshee conversion uppers and a new 40 round mag that is AR sized, so you can just mount their 5.7 upper on a standard AR lower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is it RDS ready?

if they are...I'm in.
View Quote
Sorta of, they sell mounting plates for it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Picked up mine nearly two weeks ago.  Went to the range last week and shot it against my FN FiveseveN USG.  To be honest, I like shooting the FN a little better. The Ruger seemed a little more snappy to me, and I didn’t care as much for the slimmer grip. The wider FN felt better in my hand. The Ruger also had a more rearward ejection, so when I was shooting SS197, I was getting pelted with cases bouncing off the walls of the shooting stall. With the same ammo, the FN cases were bouncing slightly forward and not on me. The slide release on the Ruger did loosen up a little from being stiff out of the box, but I still think it’s too small, and the 1911 style extended safety lever gets in the way a bit when trying to release it with my thumb. The FN slide release is much better. Also loading the Ruger mags was a bit more difficult because of their decision to put little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward, but the practical effect when loading is that you have to load the rounds straight from the top. If the round is a little forward and the rim is in front of the detent, you have to slide the round out forward and try again, because you can’t simply slide the round all the way back. I did like the Ruger front FO sight. Trigger and accuracy seemed to be on a par with each other; I didn’t have any real preference of one over the other, except for recoil for which I preferred the FN. Reliability on both was 100% on mine with the limited amount of SS196 and SS197 that I used. Overall, I don’t think I’d trade my FN for a Ruger, but I’m sure the price difference is going to drive a lot of people to the Ruger no matter what. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for your report.

It's interesting you mention the Ruger being more snappy then the FN. In watching the videos of the Ruger, it did seem like it had more rise then the FN. The slide looks to cycle more slowly in the vids; the FN has an extremely quick slide cycle.

If you get a chance, could you weight the slide of the Ruger vs FN?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks for your report.

It's interesting you mention the Ruger being more snappy then the FN. In watching the videos of the Ruger, it did seem like it had more rise then the FN. The slide looks to cycle more slowly in the vids; the FN has an extremely quick slide cycle.

View Quote
My complete FN slide (with barrel, spring, sights) weighs 13.3 oz.  The Ruger weighs 13.2 oz.  I think some is due to the different recoil arrangement.  The FN spring surrounds the barrel, so it’s barrel is lower relative to the top of the frame compared to the Ruger, which a conventional underslung spring and guide rod.  Also, the spring force may be different between the two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I got about 100 rds through my T&E sample. I am definitely appreciating the R57. There are some things I felt FN executed better, but at $600 street price this is very feature packed.

It's actually running AE TMJ and SS197SR much better than the 2 MK2 samples I have. It seems when it gets cold the MK2's (they are new), have troubles running the underpowered ammo for the first 2-3 rounds until they get some heat in them. The Ruger ran them without issue. I need to sort the chrono numbers, but I also believe the Ruger's barrel produced higher velocities than the MK2. :D
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My complete FN slide (with barrel, spring, sights) weighs 13.3 oz.  The Ruger weighs 13.2 oz.  I think some is due to the different recoil arrangement.  The FN spring surrounds the barrel, so it’s barrel is lower relative to the top of the frame compared to the Ruger, which a conventional underslung spring and guide rod.  Also, the spring force may be different between the two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your report.

Thank you. I guess my theory is busted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for your report.

View Quote
it wont be just the slide weight but also spring strength/location, slide contact friction to frame etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got about 100 rds through my T&E sample. I am definitely appreciating the R57. There are some things I felt FN executed better, but at $600 street price this is very feature packed.

It's actually running AE TMJ and SS197SR much better than the 2 MK2 samples I have. It seems when it gets cold the MK2's (they are new), have troubles running the underpowered ammo for the first 2-3 rounds until they get some heat in them. The Ruger ran them without issue. I need to sort the chrono numbers, but I also believe the Ruger's barrel produced higher velocities than the MK2. :D
View Quote
The Ruger should be slightly faster since the barrel is 0.14” longer.  The only other difference is the barrel treatment (chrome lining in the FN and nitride in the Ruger).
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only thing I heard is that it's a much smaller company than Ruger and very unlikely to be price competitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please, please be a 10rnd Boberg! (or "Bullpup" for you pedants)
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was gonna say "then why won't their stock move, dammit" but saw it is indeed trending upward
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
 little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward
Aha, they learned!  My FN disassembled itself on the first mag, because a blue tip stuck out to far and yoinked the mag catch spring out of position.

I was likewise concerned about the narrow grip; the FN is already kinda odd that way; width was never the issue, but length.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I agree with what you are saying but as someone who is from Memphis.  That’s rather excessive for a small trip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also had around $3500 in my wallet (was looking at a vehicle that was for sale).

@IamMunneY
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is a video KY Gun Co. did on the Ruger 57.  In the video he mentions 2x that there is another manufacturer who will be releasing a pistol in 5.7x28.

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Who else is doing a 5.7 in 2020.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#49]
All of the 5.7 vids that I've watched seem to exhibit significant muzzle flash that's visible even during the day.  Is there any flash suppressed self defense ammo out there that won't instantly blind you the moment you touch off a round at dusk?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Savage has released or has on Bud's Guns a 24" bolt gun. The 24" barrel seems like a waste.
Savage Bolt Gun
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned DSA was working on a 5.7 handgun. Someone other than Springfield Armory should import the Fort-28 :D

Also for weights:
FiveSeveN MK2:
Slide with barrel: 13.2oz
Frame: 7.8oz
Barrel: 3.9oz
Magazine 2.6oz

USG:
Slide with barrel: 13.4oz
Frame: 7.4oz
Barrel: 3.9oz
Magazine 2.6oz

MK2 slide with aftermarket slide cover and RMR:  14.8oz

Ruger 57:
Slide with barrel: 13.2oz
Frame: 7.8oz
Barrel with spring and guide rod: 3.9oz
Magazine 3.4oz

So on my sample the Ruger 57 slide weights exactly the same as the MK2 :D
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top