Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]

In ww2 a group of our paratroopers were unlucky enough to drop on a group of conscripts...who were all
older hunters. They fared very poorly against the jaegers.

The qualities that make an effective hunter dovetail nicely for an effective surviving force. Concealment, noise discipline, marksmanship, stalking...

A winning combination.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well until the game is hunted to near extinction in rural areas. It's one of the reasons for fish cops now: deer and trout and bass were damn near erased in areas during the depression by hungry folks.
View Quote
Well, actually, the numbers were already way down because the same practices that caused the dustbowl were also destructive of habitat. And there was still plenty of protein. Google the rabbit drives during the dustbowl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m already a better hunter than #2
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cola Warriors.

During SHTF it'll be like this but with more vomit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtjGTrVwRr4
View Quote

When the time comes, I am ready.

I have a wartime Avatar at the ready for just such an occasion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
3. The guys I train with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Which one has more beer?
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I pick option #3 a Cola Warrior participant
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nightvison is always the answer. Its dark half the time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, seems like most training is based on the assumption the cops'll or authorities'll be along to restore order shortly. "active shooters" etc. This ain't that. Nobody is coming to back you up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Jesus H. Christ.

Fuck all that noise.  I want someone who is in shape, has an adequate supply of food, is not a dick to be around, won't crumble under pressure, and has at least minimal skills in shooting, as well as other "survival" skills.  I can train someone to shoot and move.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How much more specific would you have liked me to be?

"He shoots only Daniel Defense, or Larue ARs, with Trijicon optics, trains with James Yeager and has a YouTube Channel with 4k subs?"  

Better?

Eric  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread sounds like the OP justifying not having any training.

Option 1 was generic, while option 2 got super specific.
How much more specific would you have liked me to be?

"He shoots only Daniel Defense, or Larue ARs, with Trijicon optics, trains with James Yeager and has a YouTube Channel with 4k subs?"  

Better?

Eric  
There was nothing wrong with your first description; the second was just much more specific as if you were describing a specific person instead of a type of person. Like yourself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I pick the Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Trains is the logical answer.

If you live in a rural area, people who hunt aren't a scarcity.

If you live in the city, having someone who "trains" is probably more important to get out of the city than someone who hunts.

There are plenty of qualities about hunting that would be realist for getting out alive, like moving quietly and avoiding detection, or laying up and watching a point versus rushing in.  However, I'd rather take someone who shoots weekend matches with me than my hunting buddies from a being able to focus fast on multiple targets and shoot from odd angles point of view.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
All the people who voted #1 read it too fast and thought it said “arfcomer who is trans”....

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There was nothing wrong with your first description; the second was just much more specific as if you were describing a specific person instead of a type of person. Like yourself.
View Quote
I'm a varmint hunter, who uses AR15s and bolt-action rifles.  I passed on an Elk hunt here in Idaho to go shoot prairie dogs.  I haven't shot a big game animal in a few years.  I have one .30-06, all the rest are small caliber rifles, with most being .17 caliber (the rest are <.224).  I reload, but shoot mainly factory loads.  I'm working on a 6.5 Grendel for long-range coyote sniping, but just bought the components over Black Friday weekend.

Not me.

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Outdoorsman > Cola Warrior
View Quote
You have clearly not met any of us...
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Oops
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]
#2 better at stealth/ concealment, most are good trackers, better at long range and short range at a 100 yards or less, use to blood and guts, use to killing, most have good backwoodsman skills and if get in with ones that are trappers then you are really set.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would out walk these fat fucking retards to death.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I choose the chiropractor.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Which group has more Cola Warriors?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#24]
No 2 for the scenario listed.  More interested in anothers ability to blend and adapt to the surroundings without spooking the opposition, while still being capable of taking the opposition.  Best to get out avoiding the firefights, than looking how best to tactically engage every one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]

We will make Antifa become our long pig.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I will be going rogue.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#27]

We can kill Antifa all the live long day and eat their granola bars and energy drinks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#28]
One has NV.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Fucking gold
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Either is fine, 2 is slightly better.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The gear queer guy because I don't plan on leaving the city.  Hunter guy can hang out and supplement the food stash with pigeons and squirrels if he likes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]
The hunter, so long as he is a real outdoorsman. Being able to survive off the land is more important than high speed low drag gun handling.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I read #2 in my head with the cheezy announcer voice used in every large corporations' self-fellating video about their awesome product.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just because someone can eat a bunch of peeps, run around, drink a shit ton of cola, and then barf doesn't make them any better in a SHTF situation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poll fail,

#3 - Any Cola Warrior
Just because someone can eat a bunch of peeps, run around, drink a shit ton of cola, and then barf doesn't make them any better in a SHTF situation.

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd take #1 along with my NODs and move only at night. In a true TEOTWAWKI scenario I'd happily eat long pig. World's my oyster.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Cola warriors
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:23:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Obstacle zero:  show up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Option 2. Not for the hunting abilities, but because folks who spend lots of time hunting know how to move discretely, navigate, and shoot.

Mr Geardo sounds like every airsoft Costa c-clamp gripping, neck snapping while checking your surroundings ARFCOM GD’er who secretly dreams of being Cory from Range Time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An arfcommer who hunts with trains
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#41]
#2.  A good hunter also knows how to navigate quietly.  He will know what the deer are feeding on via scat, find one or two of those sources, and set up ambush points at 2 or more crossroad intersections.  If he's got nods, he's golden.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Not enough information to answer. Does #1 use the Costa grip when he shoots?

I'll take #2. We'll hunt us some jackasses.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Arfcommer who trains.

ANTIFA is on the loose in an urban environment and everyone I love is safe?

Fuck that! I'm going in after those commie motherfuckers.

I don't care if I get killed, as long as I get to kill more of them first.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We can kill Antifa all the live long day and eat their granola bars and energy drinks.
View Quote
Question:

Many cultures believe that if you cut your enemies heart out and eat it then you gain their strength and courage.

My enemies are commies, which means that they have no strength or courage.

If I cut a commie's heart our and eat it, then will it sap me of any strength and courage that I have?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Good lord this poll set up is as leading as a CNN political poll.  I'm going with 1 just to be contrary.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Number Cola Warrior. I have never seen another group so excited to inflict pain upon themselves. The enemy will see desolate battle sights littered with cans and plastic candy wrappers and will surely surrender to the Cola Overlords.

Plus, it’s really easy to defeat an enemy that can’t see because they’ve been turned into one eyed pirates by a bunch of giggling frat boys
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd have to go with curtain #2.  Having someone who can track, kill and butcher would be huge as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote
Without reading past the OP, I thought about it for a few moments and chose #2 as well partially due to the above sentiment. Additionally, anyone who spends "quality" time outdoors and in the wilderness has an advantage, IMO, especially since my first destination of choice would be to go wherever there are less people.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Without reading past the OP, I thought about it for a few moments and chose #2 as well partially due to the above sentiment. Additionally, anyone who spends "quality" time outdoors and in the wilderness has an advantage, IMO, especially since my first destination of choice would be to go wherever there are less people.
View Quote
Fuck the outdoors. You have the opportunity to kill ANTIFA commies hard and everyone you love is safe.

I want to go TOWARDS the sound of gunfire. My ass ain't shit to risk, if I can do something good before I die.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Which one can you trust not to fall asleep on watch?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1)  ARFCommer who owns a handful of AR15s, with all the bells and whistles.  They wear all the current tactical gear.  They are "running" various tactical accessories (flashlights, coms, helmets, etc).  They train six times a year at their local range and shoot 3-Gun matches about three times a year.  They have 6 cases of 5.56 FMJ ammo in their basement.

2)  ARFCommer who hunts, a lot.  They hunt year-round, from varmints/predators to big game and wild hogs.  They know how to track game, clean and butcher what they kill and have a high aptitude of outdoor and wilderness knowledge.  They only use AR15s to hunt and have access to night-vision.  They shoot calibers like the 6.8 SPCII and the 6.5 Grendel, along with the .223/5.56.  They reload and have what equals to a total of 4 cases of reloaded ammunition, as well as a portable reloading kit that they sometimes use while developing loads at the range.

It is September 2018.  You are located in the suburbs of a large city in the Western United States.  Sixty miles one direction is downtown.  Thirty miles in the other direction is the high desert and mountains.  There are road-blocks in every direction and large groups of roaming, armed, Anti-First-Amendment (Antifa) everywhere.  Your family is alive and safe, but they are with family in the South.

These are the only two choices you have to help you survive.  Who would you choose and why?

Poll Added.

Eric  
View Quote
Number one.

Number two would be functionally useless, Oh, they hunt? So what? "large groups of roaming, armed, Anti-First-Amendment (Antifa) everywhere."
Have you seen the retarded correlations hunters on here use to try to justify their HD/SD choices?

#1 has the most important thing, comms. #2 has the least important stuff, niche calibers and project eldest son reloads.
If wild hogs was the greatest threat, I'd take #2.

Now, I have not read the thread, so I'm going to guess a lot of people chose #2, and based it on assumptions that hunting game will translate into being effective on what has been described as a MOUT scenario.  Guess what a lot of MOUT training is like  3 gun/ action shooting. The MOUT/CQB mantra is "shoot, move communicate" not "Shoot, butcher, then church up how great your new ammo is on arf".

I predict that hunters will predominantly choose #2, and people with MOUT training/ experience will choose #1.

#1's description provides the widest margin of useful attributes for the scenario, 2/3rds (downtown and suburbs) where the largest threat is humans. The Hunters usefulness is only in 2/3rds of the scenario, and that's only if one chooses to try to get out of the city.

But how many here have seen what can be accomplished by people used to MOUT, especially a small 1-2 man cell?

Myself and a 3 gun shooter could literally smoke anti-fa till we ran out of ammo then leave.

That's what I find intersting about htis thought experiment, it's written like conformation bias to see how many people choose the hunter, and trying to boggie to teh desert.

I myself would take the 3 gunner, and stay in the Burbs, or make my way closer to the city. Why should I go with choice #2 who may or may not be useful, when I can take #1 and make the best use of there training and equipment!

It'll be interesting to see how others chose, and justified it.

eta- not surprised.

Also, with the dark horse candidate #3, cola warriors, I'd take a cola warrior over a tall fence hunter any day of the week.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top