Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well... we don’t have peat here so it kinda seems false to me a bit. I guess we could malt with coal !

But I will say this, we will put up about 30 more barrels of bourbon in the rick house and then we are going to do some single malt runs. So not long now!
View Quote

Peat deposits in eastern and central North America: VA's got a little sumpin down there in the tidewater, probably around the Great Dismal Swamp.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scotland will run out of peat someday and I ain't gonna be mad.
View Quote

They'll just annex ireland
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've tried and I just can't drink it (or any hard liquor really).  Most tastes like I would envision a household cleaner.  The peat in some Scotch doesn't help.
View Quote

I love to sit down with folks like you and talk whiskey/whisky. You would be amazed of the flavors you might pick up if you had someone suggest them.

I had a lady on Saturday and she “hates gin” and of course thinks it tastes like “pine trees”. I had her taste ours while thinking of citrus like orange and Lemon. With that thought in mind she was able to pick it up and really liked it.

Whiskey is the same way. If you have someone who loves it talk about the flavors they taste you will often taste those flavors yourself.

I always tell people who aren’t experienced that they need to take a sip and hold it a few moments. Then set the glass down for a few minutes. Take another sip and repeat the process again. We need to get past that initial burn that a person new to whiskey can get a touch overwhelmed by.

It’s hard for someone who thinks of whiskey being served in a shot to understand that whiskey fans really do pick up tons of flavor and it varies from one spirit to the next.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I recently picked up the Glenfarclas 25, $175.00 at my local packie ( new england term ) that stuff is so smooth. Glenfarclas makes a great whisky.  Going by what you listed I would think you would really like the Macallan 12
View Quote
Nice. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a bottle of 18 year old Macallan I'm supposed to open with some friends in February.  A few of them are experienced Scotch drinkers but they've never walked me through drinking like that.
View Quote

That stuff is garbage.......send it to me for disposal
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which of course it doesn’t. And truthfully only a small amount of scotch is even peated.

But some of it is gloriously peaty. I am going a little light tonight with Bowmore.

Peat lovers unite!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/DC5B36A7-B9C5-4908-8C3A-EE42A0D87B11_jpe-1893239.JPG
View Quote

I love Bowmore 12.  Definitely a good one!  

This thread makes me want to grab a bottle of Talisker, Laphroaig, or Lagavulin

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It most definitely does not. As a scotch enthusiast it is almost frustrating how much all scotch is associated with peat. In truth it’s likely only 10-15 percent that use peat.

What you need is a Highland like the Lasanta I mentioned above. No peat at all.

But... I have read that all scotch and Irish whiskey was at one time peated because that was the only readily available fuel source they had. There are very few Irish whiskys that are peated. One is Connemara which I think is quite good.

There, that’s a thing you know now.
View Quote

Get your undies out of a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get your undies out of a bunch.
https://i.imgur.com/Dn5e6E0.gif
View Quote

Dude, I have been drinking scotch all night. How upset do you really think I am. I am as relaxed as it gets without actually being "drunk"
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just picked up a bottle of Quinta Rubin.....great stuff
View Quote

Quinta Ruban isn’t the best scotch I’ve ever had, but it’s the best I’ve had for $50. I’ve got 3-4 bottles in the cupboard just in case I want to do something nice for someone. Shit, now I’ll probably pick up another bottle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the prize jewel of my scotch collection.  It will have to be one hell of an event to celebrate for me to open it up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23735/The_Balvenie-1893288.jpg
View Quote

I’ve only tried 3 varieties of Balvenie, but all of them were excellent and uniquely Balvenie. I’m quite partial to Balvenie Caribbean cask 14. It’s fuckin awesome for $60-75.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a bottle of 18 year old Macallan I'm supposed to open with some friends in February.  A few of them are experienced Scotch drinkers but they've never walked me through drinking like that.
View Quote

I really like that 18 year old Macallan.  Don’t they also have some kind of special or reserve scotch?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
For some reason I never every liked Scotch.  I've tried most of the best.  But strangely enough I enjoy Bourbon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For some reason I never every liked Scotch.  I've tried most of the best.  But strangely enough I enjoy Bourbon.
View Quote

This is not unique to either side of the aisle or those of us that choose one over the other. For some reason most people think if they like one they should naturally like the other, not true. They aren't even in the same continent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Toured a local craft distillery two weeks ago.  Bourbon is no go for me either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toured a local craft distillery two weeks ago.  Bourbon is no go for me either.

Bourbon? In Utah?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bourbon? In Utah?
View Quote

It can be found at 5 proof
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bourbon? In Utah?

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ey

Lots of places here making it now.

Outlaw Distillery

Sugarhouse Distillery

High West Distillery
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bourbon? In Utah?
ey

Lots of places here making it now.

Outlaw Distillery

Sugarhouse Distillery

High West Distillery

Well, they’re making corn whiskey.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I am pretty sure that there was a tipping point 5 or 6 decades ago where Utah probably had more and better moonshine than legitimate whiskey from the state liquor store.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure that there was a tipping point 5 or 6 decades ago where Utah probably had more and better moonshine than legitimate whiskey from the state liquor store.

View Quote

I wouldn’t mind having a couple jars of Utah shine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I am blessed with a friend who collects scotch...and has means to support this hobby

when I visited him last time we had a week long scotch tasting...

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’ve only tried 3 varieties of Balvenie, but all of them were excellent and uniquely Balvenie. I’m quite partial to Balvenie Caribbean cask 14. It’s fuckin awesome for $60-75.
View Quote

Going to have to try that Caribbean Cask.  I've had the Balvenie Doublewook 12 and it was tasty so going to expand on their offerings.   Someone mentioned Monkey Shoulder.  That was ok for the price, decent value for a daily drinker I guess.  Haven't been exploring

Scotch for very long.  The so called peat monsters like Jonny Walker Double Black are simply just too damn smoky for my taste but again I'm still learning what I like and looking forward to exploring.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wouldn't mind having a couple jars of Utah shine.
View Quote

I wouldn't know where to get it.  But I do know where the remnants of a still are up in a secluded canyon.  Supposedly they were all over.  Lots of mining towns with workers from all over the place that weren't ready to stop drinking, so plenty of illicit booze manufacturing went on.

Given Utah's attitudes towards alcohol, it wouldn't surprise me if there were still people making shine today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wouldn't know where to get it.  But I do know where the remnants of a still are up in a secluded canyon.  Supposedly they were all over.  Lots of mining towns with workers from all over the place that weren't ready to stop drinking, so plenty of illicit booze manufacturing went on.

Given Utah's attitudes towards alcohol, it wouldn't surprise me if there were still people making shine today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't mind having a couple jars of Utah shine.

Oh, I’m sure of that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#30]
A man who can put Bruichladdich Octomore scotch and a 601 La Bomba cigar in his mouth is capable of putting anything in it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

just came here to say this.... tried my first bottle this weekend to celebrate my buddys birthday... its pretty good stuff!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laphroaig 10 for this guy.

just came here to say this.... tried my first bottle this weekend to celebrate my buddys birthday... its pretty good stuff!

If you can find the Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength, try it.  It's dynamite.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Bowmore 12 is my go to Scotch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#33]
The iodine flavor in many scotches is overpowering.  

There are some milder scotches that are ok but I prefer even cheap bourbon to any scotch.  I consider myself lucky.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#34]

This is some of the Smokey Scotch!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Lagavulin 16
Laphroiag 10 if I am really feeling unsubtle
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A man who can put Bruichladdich Octomore scotch and a 601 La Bomba cigar in his mouth is capable of putting anything in it.
View Quote

i love Erik Espinosa's cigars.  601 Green, 601 La Bomba, Laranja
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Islay for the peaty win!

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Talisker Storm
Ardbeg 10
Lagavulin 16  (I forgot I tried this while looking at an MP5 used in the Iranian Embassy seige and a genuine DeLisle carbine, at the 21st SAS bar at Bisley, UK.  It was fantastic, and for only 4 quid)
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#39]
For you non scotch guys, I recommend Balvenie Carribean Cask.

IME, my friends who don't like scotch actually do like that.
Granted, can be a pricey intro, as a bottle goes for about $65 out here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I had Laphroaig once in a Kansas City steakhouse and it tasted exactly like licking a dirty public bathroom floor. I had no context having never done that but the vivid picture in my mind made a lasting impression that I can’t shake and has never left me along with the where and when. I prefer Glenfiddich
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just finished some Ardbeg 10
View Quote

This is the only scotch i've had besides Johnny Walker, Ardbeg tastes like a campfire I can confirm!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Depends on the scotch...I’m not into the campfire taste that much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well... we don’t have peat here so it kinda seems false to me a bit. I guess we could malt with coal !

But I will say this, we will put up about 30 more barrels of bourbon in the rick house and then we are going to do some single malt runs. So not long now!

ETA: sorry I meant to quote TacticalGarand
View Quote

I'd like to try a bourbon where the grain was exposed to peat smoke before mashing.

IIRC some distilleries use a mix of coal and peat.  Highland park?    IMO too many people get shunted into drinking laphroaig before trying something milder.    You have to work your way up to peat, it isn't for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone tried the Ardbeg 5yr Wee Beastie?  IdId like to know how the peat levels compare to Ardbeg 10yr before buying.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just had a small glass of Angel's Envy Finished Rye. I will now, because of this thread, drink a small glass of Ardberg 10, then I will have another small glass of Finished Rye to wash it down.
View Quote

Mmmmm....Angels Envy Finished Rye. I could go for two fingers of that right now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had Laphroaig once in a Kansas City steakhouse and it tasted exactly like licking a dirty public bathroom floor. I had no context having never done that but the vivid picture in my mind made a lasting impression that I can’t shake and has never left me along with the where and when. I prefer Glenfiddich
View Quote

Laphroaig 16 is my go to.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Ardbeg 5yr Wee Beastie?  IdId like to know how the peat levels compare to Ardbeg 10yr before buying.
View Quote

If you like Ardbeg 10 then you will like Wee Beastie. It's better than it should be for a 5 year. It won't stand up to a side by side comparison but is worthy of the shelf. Plus its called "Wee Beastie", who doesn't love that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly, I know nothing about Scotch. I will say that I had a friend once that had a "very good bottle" of scotch that he wanted me to sample.  I just couldn't get over the dirty ashtray undertones after every sip I had. No thanks!  

I'm not a smoker either....maybe something about that cigar taste mixing with the ashtray taste of the scotch makes it taste magical?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Coal isla for me tonight
View Quote

Caol Ila
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I sampled a bottle of highfalutin "peaty" Scotch with some afficionados once.  While they savored and raved over the peaty notes, I struggled to swallow what tasted like creosote chimney sweepings.  No thanks.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top