Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/8/2023 12:23:06 PM EDT
https://www.azfamily.com/2023/07/08/scottsdale-mother-pushes-stricter-gun-rental-process-after-sons-suicide/

SCOTTSDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - A Scottsdale mother is pushing for change after she felt it was too easy for her son, who was suffering from mental health issues, to rent a gun at a local gun range and then turn it on himself. “I don’t want this to happen to another family,” said the mother.

She said her son’s life spiraled out of control while he lived across the country. After losing his job, relationship and continued battles with mental health, he moved back in with her to try and get his life back on track. She felt he had improved but still had mental health struggles.

Things took a dark turn when he went to run an errand but instead walked into the gun range nearby. “He wasn’t in his right mind, he needed help, but he easily went to that gun range, rented a gun and turned it on himself.”

C2 Tactical released this statement:

“We are shocked and heartbroken at the actions taken by a guest on Thursday, July 6. We value the safety and wellbeing of each guest and employ safety officers at each range, many with military and law enforcement backgrounds, to ensure this is a protected environment for everyone.”
   C2 Tactical

This mother said she’s not anti-gun but has concerns about how someone with severe mental health issues can rent one at a gun range.

The process is different than buying a gun. Arizona’s Family spoke with Arizona gun rights activist and communications director for Arizona Citizens Defense League, Charles Heller, about the process gun ranges take. He said it can vary from place to place. “You present them your ID, they show you the rules, they ask if you have any convictions. There’s a number of questions you have to check off, and then they’ll rent you the gun. They also talk to you about safety at the range,” said Heller.

This mother feels the process to rent at the range should be the same as buying a gun. She felt her son wouldn’t have passed that background check. “He lied on the application probably (at the gun range). He went in there and got a gun.”

Heller said the gun community takes these tragic incidents seriously. “The National Shooting Sports Foundation has a program for retail sales to spot signs of depression. They have every right to refuse a sale or refuse a rental. Sometimes you can’t tell if someone is depressed and wants to do themselves harm when you rent them the gun.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
so, make it more difficult for EVERYONE else bc your son offed himself?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Very sorry for your loss lady but the gun wasn't the driving element of this tragedy.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If it will save just one life!

Think about the children.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep. Common idiot leftist thought process. Punish everyone for one persons misdeeds.
I call it the kindergarten thought process. In Kindergarten if little Johnny did something wrong, the whole class had to get a lesson. Fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone takes a shit we all get to wear diapers
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She felt her son wouldn’t have passed that background check. “He lied on the application probably (at the gun range). He went in there and got a gun.”

View Quote

There it is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That happened around here years ago.  They changed their policy so in order to walk in and rent a gun, you had to have your own with you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a rash of people doing that in my area about 20 years ago.  All of the ranges voluntarily adopted rules like not renting to a first-time customer who shows up alone and unarmed, not renting to anyone who appears to be intoxicated or disoriented or distraught, etc.  I wouldn't want to have to clean up after a suicide in a shooting range that I owned or managed.

Insurance companies and lawyers can get restrictions imposed a lot faster than government can.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
she's a dumb cunt.

He would have passed the background check. He isn't a prohibited person, he's suicidal.

Thankfully, because she's passed the age of having children, and her progeny offed himself - she's technically a Darwin Award winner.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
After three on range suicides my old shop will no longer rent guns to anyone who comes solo and who doesn’t have their own gun as well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very sorry for your loss lady but the gun wasn't the driving element of this tragedy.  
View Quote

Why not just take fentanyl, it’s evidently easy to obtain, there’s little mess, and it’s just as deadly as accuse lead poisoning. On second thought, maybe we should outlaw fentanyl….oh wait, NVM.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess it’s a good thing he didn’t drive himself to the Grand Canyon and jump over the edge.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The speed bump solution.  Solves the need to "do something ", but only serves to harass everyone but the problematic person.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
There's endless ways to kill yourself.....if you're determined, sadly we can't stop it much of the time. Be glad he didn't rent a car and fly 105mph into whatever got in the way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guess it’s a good thing he didn’t drive himself to the Grand Canyon and jump over the edge.
View Quote

No more Grand Canyon visits. Shut it down.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
So she took in her kid back into her home with known mental issues and let him roam free in society.  He offed himself and she blames the gun range.  

This is like the idiots that let their dogs run free and are shocked when they end up dead.  

We should be thankful that he only harmed himself and didn’t decide to hurt others.  I wish the kid had sought help instead of making the permanent solution.  

She took on the role of his caretaker and failed.  She blames others for her failure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
This is why I support suicide booths.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
There was a gun shop with a range called Guns & Knives - Arizona Shooting Range in Fort Lauderdale. They had frequent rental gun suicides. It's a risk that those places take, and I'm not sure how having an RSO in the range would make much of a difference.

I tended to avoid ranges that rented guns. They would give a gun to a person that never shot before, give them a two minute orientation on how the gun works, and then send them in on their own to shoot in a range with other people. Saw a lot of stupid and dangerous shit, gang banger types, and weirdos in those places. Every lane position had holes in the barriers, overheads, and tables.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait until she learns how easy it is to get rope.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's endless ways to kill yourself.....if you're determined, sadly we can't stop it much of the time. Be glad he didn't rent a car and fly 105mph into whatever got in the way.
View Quote

Coming soon - background check, waiting period, and mental health evaluation before you’re permitted to rent a car, visit the Grand Canyon, take the subway, go swimming at a beach or swimming pool, visit the second or higher floor at a mall, etc.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Using a gun is a lot quicker.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She felt her son wouldn’t have passed that background check. “He lied on the application probably (at the gun range). He went in there and got a gun.”

There it is.

Says the mom who was responsible for his mental health until he reached the age of majority...

Take responsibility mom
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
people like her expect others to care and help their fucked up kid
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yep. Common idiot leftist thought process. Punish everyone for one persons misdeeds.
I call it the kindergarten thought process. In Kindergarten if little Johnny did something wrong, the whole class had to get a lesson. Fucking ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the exact same thing as the military, police academies, and firefighter academies?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Mom should be jailed for driving her son to suicide
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That happened around here years ago.  They changed their policy so in order to walk in and rent a gun, you had to have your own with you.
View Quote

Changed at ours too. But more at their discretion. Anyone who is alone and renting a gun is heavily scrutinized.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
At the my local, now closed indoor shooting range, Santa Anita Firing Range, Monvrovia Calif, they won't rent a gun to a single, walk-in person, unless of course they know you. My friend had to clean up the mess, they had 3 suicides there.

This is the range where they shot Mel Gibson movie "Lethal Weapon 1." Remember the smiley face? That was framed and hung in their lobby.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#31]
She didn't know her son living with her was mentally deranged enough to take his life but expects a stranger know.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
She didn't know her son living with her was mentally deranged enough to take his life but expects a stranger know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Guess pushing for gun control is easier than being a better mother and teaching coping skills to your kid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry about your son, but no you can’t punish everyone because he made a choice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
And if he jumped off a building
Stepped into traffic
Stood in front of a train
Drowned
Cut his wrists
Hung himself
Ate too many flintstones vitamins

What then?

Sorry for the loss, but your sorrow doesn't have any bearing on the rights of others.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No bridges in Scottsdale?
View Quote

Family member's car was found near a bridge.
Body found near said bridge within 24 hours.
If he'd eaten a Glock, the gun or gun industry would be the last thing I'd blame.

I don't understand all the gun/bridge suicides anyway.
Bridge gives you time to change your mind on the way down.
Gun makes a mess, and a lot of human vegetables who weren't as determined to hold the gun on target as they thought they were.

Are people really too lazy/impatient to come up with a way to go to sleep and not wake up?
I mean, is there something more important to you than getting your suicide right?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Because of one, the many must suffer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
You didn't after someone shit his pants at the Vatican
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is the range where they shot Mel Gibson movie "Lethal Weapon 1." Remember the smiley face? That was framed and hung in their lobby.
View Quote

Was there powder embedded in it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

At my range to rent a gun you have to bring a friend or have your own gun
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No bridges in Scottsdale?
View Quote

Just freeway bridges, and you'd have to throw yourself into traffic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and I have had a Child use my ow gun to kill Herself.  As usual, the gun was not the problem.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well there's signs and guardrails and stuff, so clearly he would not have been able to.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I worked more suicides from hangings than I did shootings.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#45]
If only we could all just go back to a time before firearms.  That was a more peaceful time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was a younger guy, I worked at an indoor gun range that did rentals.

We had a guy that called, asked a salesman "What's a good enough gun to kill someone with one shot?"

People have bad phrasing/are stupid, so salesman answered something along the lines of "I think you are meaning to ask 'what a good defensive caliber is'? The .45acp has a historical reputation as having a single-shot stopping capability, but it's always about shot placement, etc..."

Later that afternoon, a dude comes in to our range, asks to rent a .45acp and doesn't know denominations ammo is sold in. Just needs "some". Doesn't seem to care what model or brand.
THANKFULLY, same salesman is still on-shift, overhears guy, recognizes voice from phone. Comes over and sees something is off. Says "I'm not comfortable renting you a gun today, sir."

Dude starts bawling in the middle of the store, yells "If you're not going to help me, I'll go somewhere that will!" and storms out.

We get on all phones and call every competing range in a 20 mile radius giving them heads up, as well as call local police. They eventually find guy in parking lot of another range, interview, def suicidal. Never heard how his life turned out, but many ranges in the area (one of which had multiple suicides) after that incident instituted "No rentals to people that come in alone."

Pretty simple and effective and requires no laws or government intrusion:

* If you've already got a gun, but no friends, you're not going to rent a lane to kill yourself, you'll do it at home.

* If you've already got a freind, but no gun, you're not going to bring a buddy to kill yourself -- he's hopefully going to be a tempering influence. ("unless two people, two people do it, in harmony..." - Alice's Restaurant)

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sigline material!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just ban cars and that would be prevented.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
she's a dumb cunt.

He would have passed the background check. He isn't a prohibited person, he's suicidal.

Thankfully, because she's passed the age of having children, and her progeny offed himself - she's technically a Darwin Award winner.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Put you on an operating table, remove all viable transplant organs, unplug you.  Charge enough, for the organs, to cremate your remains.

Does the mom take any responsibility for this?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top