Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried to rent a gun on a business trip in Utah and they had a policy that you had to bring your own gun or be with someone that possessed a gun in order to rent. Silly. Just another mom blaming something outside of the real culprit. I just wish she would focus her efforts on something that could actually help.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not just take fentanyl, it's evidently easy to obtain, there's little mess, and it's just as deadly as accuse lead poisoning. On second thought, maybe we should outlaw fentanyl .oh wait, NVM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very sorry for your loss lady but the gun wasn't the driving element of this tragedy.  

Why not just take fentanyl, it's evidently easy to obtain, there's little mess, and it's just as deadly as accuse lead poisoning. On second thought, maybe we should outlaw fentanyl .oh wait, NVM.

Men are successful at killing themselves because we don't fuck around with methods like drugs which can be counteracted.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at SGC earlier in the day that someone smoked himself.

SGC changed rental policy after that, I believe.

The tool is not to blame.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Every range here have rules like if you want to rent a gun you have to bring one with you or come as a group.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry you lost your son, and it’s too bad he didn’t get the help he needed, but he went out in a very assholish way that negatively impacted a lot of other people.  And you’re only making things worse.

Maybe everyone should have to pass a mental health evaluation every morning when they wake up, because they might take their own belt and hang themselves.  If we have to pass a mental health evaluation every day before we are allowed to get out of bed, that might prevent such an occurrence.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
There was literally nothing the mother could have done to help her son's mental health issues. /s
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so, make it more difficult for EVERYONE else bc your son offed himself?
View Quote
I'd say she needs to take a good look at herself - if my child did that I'd have to consider what I may have contributed to it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
("unless two people, two people do it, in harmony..." - Alice's Restaurant)
View Quote

But if three...three people come in, they'll know it's a Movement!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That happened around here years ago.  They changed their policy so in order to walk in and rent a gun, you had to have your own with you.
View Quote

Yeah, we had a few around here.  The policy at our local rental place changed so that when you rent the first time you need to have at least one personally owned gun.  After that they stop checking.  They also sometimes glance at your guns because they try sort rental bays by cartridge type, 5.56 shooters at the opposite side of rimfire only guys, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Because of onsite suicides a couple rental ranges near me won't rent a firearm to a "non-gun" person, i.e., someone off the street that doesn't already come in with their own firearm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every range here have rules like if you want to rent a gun you have to bring one with you or come as a group.
View Quote

That's how its been at most ranges I've been to.  Its a good rule, imo.

That said, the lack of such a rule doesn't really make it their fault that the kid took his own life.  Unless he was talking up suicide or something while he was there at the counter, there's no way they could reasonably have known or suspected he was going to kill himself.

Ultimately, he bears responsibility for his own actions.   I feel bad for his loved ones.  

RIP
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]

The media disrespected a grieving parent with this interview
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Waiting to see if the mother attempts to cash in on the tragedy.

View Quote

I thought about you when I saw this thread.  I'm sorry about that mess you were pulled into.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the same organization that considered the Boston bomber a victim of gun violence.
If she's actually prominent in the org, it may be worth naming names to counter her BS.
View Quote

I should have clarified she isn't a national or really even a state figure. Just a mouth piece on the local news.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The speed bump solution.  Solves the need to "do something ", but only serves to harass everyone but the problematic person.
View Quote

This is a good way to describe it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]

She said her son’s life spiraled out of control while he lived across the country. After losing his job, relationship and continued battles with mental health, he moved back in with her to try and get his life back on track. She felt he had improved but still had mental health struggles.

Things took a dark turn when he went to run an errand but instead walked into the gun range nearby. “He wasn’t in his right mind, he needed help, but he easily went to that gun range, rented a gun and turned it on himself.”

View Quote

So... why didn't she get him the help he needed?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After three on range suicides my old shop will no longer rent guns to anyone who comes solo and who doesn’t have their own gun as well.
View Quote

Would be a smart policy. Ive been to a C2 Tactical range before. Nice facilities, professional, rental guns in good shape etc. The should be ok in the long run. Short term they may take some shit but Scottsdale isnt exactly liberal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
How about dipping people in red ink when they have mental health issues.  This way, these people can be easily identified and the rest of the world can get on with their lives.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How about dipping people in red ink when they have mental health issues.  This way, these people can be easily identified and the rest of the world can get on with their lives.
View Quote

If there was a serious effort to do something like that, there would be 'mental health professionals/advocates' explaining on mainstream media that this would only add to the stigma of mental illness and prevent people from seeking the help they need.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
When my son hung himself I didn’t try to make it more difficult for people to buy extension cords.

When you suffer such a terrible loss, you try to deal with the pain of loss by closing the barn door too late.

Don’t hate her. She is suffering unimaginable pain.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There was a rash of people doing that in my area about 20 years ago.  All of the ranges voluntarily adopted rules like not renting to a first-time customer who shows up alone and unarmed, not renting to anyone who appears to be intoxicated or disoriented or distraught, etc.  I wouldn't want to have to clean up after a suicide in a shooting range that I owned or managed.

Insurance companies and lawyers can get restrictions imposed a lot faster than government can.
View Quote

That seems to be the case. Either bring your own gun or two people required even if only one shoots.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in Vermont, we have a 72 hour waiting period to pick up a firearm that took effect on 1 July 2023.

All because about 5 years ago, one of our State legislators went out, bought a gun and killed herself the same day.

That same year, the son of a State legislator did the same year.

So now, it becomes an epidemic! We have to do something!

Also passed the same week as the 72 hour waiting period, Vermont made assisted suicide legal for anyone to come to the state for the purpose of ending their life.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When my son hung himself I didn’t try to make it more difficult for people to buy extension cords.

When you suffer such a terrible loss, you try to deal with the pain of loss by closing the barn door too late.

View Quote

My condolences.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just freeway bridges, and you'd have to throw yourself into traffic.
View Quote

Tempe Town Lake. Lots of water. Warm, smelly water, but it'll do.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]
America is a fucking pathetic joke anymore. Fucking soccer mom Karen bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably her fault nagging him day and night telling him he was no good
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
So had he hung himself would she be complaining about ropes at tractor supply being easy to buy
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Guess it’s a good thing he didn’t drive himself to the Grand Canyon and jump over the edge.
View Quote

Well, following the same logic as the mother, we would need to stop driving near the Grand Canyon so that others can be saved.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#31]
What the fruitcake should be pushing for is mental health treatment and awareness.  
Fuck her
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#32]
It’s a very sad situation for everyone.

His estate should pay for clean up, counseling, and any loss of use of the range.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If there was a serious effort to do something like that, there would be 'mental health professionals/advocates' explaining on mainstream media that this would only add to the stigma of mental illness and prevent people from seeking the help they need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they would be saying we were the crazy ones for not being on board with chestfeeding trannys and the like.  Careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Says the mom who was responsible for his mental health until he reached the age of majority...

Take responsibility mom
View Quote

Quoted:
people like her expect others to care and help their fucked up kid
View Quote

These... seeing mom there for a few moments,  I can see why he did himself...
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And if he jumped off a building
Stepped into traffic
Stood in front of a train
Drowned
Cut his wrists
Hung himself
Ate too many flintstones vitamins

What then?

Sorry for the loss, but your sorrow doesn't have any bearing on the rights of others.
View Quote

There's no money for her in any of those... you know this bitch is suinf...
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

you used logic to realize that the tool wasnt to blame. Shes a woman, driven by emotion like most of them, she never will.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If it will save just one life!

Think about the children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so, make it more difficult for EVERYONE else bc your son offed himself?

If it will save just one life!

Think about the children.

Except when it's a clump of cells.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
you used logic to realize that the tool wasnt to blame. Shes a woman, driven by emotion like most of them, she never will.
View Quote

There have been some who grasped the reality that the gun was just the tool chosen for the act and focused more on the fact that someone chose to commit the act.

The woman who watched her parents die in a Texas restaurant, knowing that she could have stopped the nut committing murder if she hadn't complied with the existing laws and left her gun in her car, then decided that the laws had to change, is one example.  Another is the father who lost a child in the Parkland school shooting, then decided that the problem was the "public servants" who had contributed to creating the situation and then did nothing to correct it or properly respond to it.  There are others, but the mainstream media apparently wants them all forgotten, since those individuals reject the chosen narrative.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
So if he walked in a hardware store and bought a rope would she do the same?

No.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top