Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/22/2019 9:48:48 AM EDT
Self-proclaimed Wing Chun master who vows to prove that traditional Chinese kung fu is not just fancy moves gets knocked out by a kick-boxer in 74 seconds

Ding Hao was humiliated by kick-boxer 'Tiger' at a packed arena in China
The 29-year-old claims to be a descendant of Wing Chun master Ip Man
His defeat sparked debate over the practicality of Chinese martial arts

Ding Hao, who claims to be a descendant of Wing Chun master Ip Man, was humiliated in front of a live audience at a packed arena on Saturday in the Chinese city of Jiangmen.
The 29-year-old was beaten to the ground in the first round, leading the viewers to question if he really knows Wing Chun, let alone be a master of it.

Youtube video of fight

Article in English
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
impossible!
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Everybody Wing Chun tonight!
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
So we find out that more Chinese shit is shit when tested. Imagine my surprise.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
So obvious that the kick boxer was setting him up for that right roundhouse kick even I could see it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The advent of the UFC has proven that most martial arts aren't very effective.  BJJ/Muay Thai/Wrestling are what you need to be proficient in if you really want to be a badass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
kickboxing is a hard sport.. the men who practice it are tough sons of bitches.
All elbows and knees, and those dudes can deliver scary power with their kicks and punches.

traditional Thai kickboxing was/is brutal.. no spank you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Surprised it lasted that long.

MMA has taught the world that 90% of martial arts is complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The advent of the UFC has proven that most martial arts aren't very effective.  BJJ/Muay Thai/Wrestling are what you need to be proficient in if you really want to be a badass.
View Quote
Yup

Wrestling and traditional boxing as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yet all those you listed are martial arts
UFC = MMA = Mixed Martial Arts
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Wing Chun man lasted longer than I would have, is about all I can say about that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone spent too long learning how to hit, and not enough time learning how to take a hit and/or not get hit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its not as simple as it used to be like in the early ufc events. There’s been lots of ufc champs and fighters with karate or tkd as their foundation like GSP.  They just added to their skill set like everybody else.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yet all those you listed are martial arts
UFC = MMA = Mixed Martial Arts
View Quote
The point is being proficient in several disciplines, not just one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everybody Wing Chun tonight!
View Quote
In a just universe, this would have been the first post.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]
If we really could see a real exposition of Steven Seagal's technique versus an actual MMA fighter, this horseshit fan boy nonsense would come to a screeching halt really quick.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wing chun is effective at fighting itself. The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work. No answer for long range attacks, and the clinch blows through it like it's not even there.

ETA: the hand trapping techniques of WC work well when integrated into more effective styles. But if you're focused on trapping at the expense of distance management, guard, head movement, angles, etc. then you're gonna have a bad time in the ring with a boxer or kickboxer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup

View Quote
There's even an argument that most of the BJJ is ultimately worthless, since anymore nearly all wins are:

1 - knock the opponent down.

2 - get on top of him.

3 - punch him in the face until the referee pulls you off.

None of this is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or wrestling, or any specific martial art really.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#20]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/I09xfAHv5fw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Watching on mobile with that grainy video and I'll at least give the guy in black that it looked like he got in a few good shots before getting k/o'd.  Granted the kickboxer brought the fight and took it to him, and, as with most fights ... the win goes to the aggressor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work...
View Quote
If your fighting style only works when your opponent stands in the right spot it sucks.

Gotta be good at more styles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Indiana Jones - Arab Swordsman Scene
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wing chun is effective at fighting itself.
The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work. No answer for long range attacks, and the clinch blows through it like it's not even there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wing chun is effective at fighting itself.
The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work. No answer for long range attacks, and the clinch blows through it like it's not even there.
You could say that about almost all of the single forms.  Start doing something they don't train for and they're in trouble.  In the very early days of MMA the traditional wrestlers did well when they could close and ground since few martial artist were training for a ground game.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's even an argument that most of the BJJ is ultimately worthless, since anymore nearly all wins are:

2 - get on top of him.

None of this is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or wrestling, or any specific martial art really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

2 - get on top of him.

This.

BJJ is not very strike orientated, but it's good if you like wrestling with sweating dudes, I guess
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  That guy actually did a lot better than I usually see in these "kung fu master meets actual fighter" videos.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Let’s see this guy up against a Sinanju master
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#28]
If I recall correctly a team of thai boxers went to Japan in the 70s

I think there were 7 fights against karate champions. All the Japanese were knocked out quickly.

If karate doesn’t have a chance wing chun certainly doesn’t
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#29]
What is most telling about these fights between "traditional martial arts" and any MMA style fighter, aside from the weird stances to begin the fight, they all seem to do the same thing everyone else does after they get hit a few times.
I've never seen the traditional guy maintain a funky stance or throw "traditional style" punches and kicks after he takes a few "real life" shots...
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#30]

You will win all fights against pebbles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Neighbor of mine was 4x World Kickboxing champ...

I don't think the NFL comes anywhere close to the brutality of kickboxing
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because the kick boxer isn't even a great one. But with about 2:10 left, I could see him realize, "this is going to be easy".
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Changed his name to Me Too Low
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wing chun is effective at fighting itself. The problems with it arise when the other guy won't stand in the correct intermediate range for it to work. No answer for long range attacks, and the clinch blows through it like it's not even there.

ETA: the hand trapping techniques of WC work well when integrated into more effective styles. But if you're focused on trapping at the expense of distance management, guard, head movement, angles, etc. then you're gonna have a bad time in the ring with a boxer or kickboxer.
View Quote
Just like how Aikido has nothing meaningful for kick defense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.

BJJ is not very strike orientated, but it's good if you like wrestling with sweating dudes, I guess
View Quote
Or winning. If you like winning, it's a pretty good choice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So obvious that the kick boxer was setting him up for that right roundhouse kick even I could see it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is most telling about these fights between "traditional martial arts" and any MMA style fighter, aside from the weird stances to begin the fight, they all seem to do the same thing everyone else does after they get hit a few times.
I've never seen the traditional guy maintain a funky stance or throw "traditional style" punches and kicks after he takes a few "real life" shots...  
View Quote
Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#38]
So, Wing Chun is like the fixed fortifications or trench warfare of hand to hand fighting?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Needs more Bas Rutten doing commentary.

"BANGITY BANGITY BONG BONG!!!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Most martial arts work great, on people that don't know how to fight or feed you an overhand right and don't pull their punches.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Yea but muh jeet kune do...
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

2 - get on top of him.

This.

We were doing this on the playground in the 1970's for fucks sake.  Way before any of this other stuff became popular.

And even the best BJJ guys in the MMA game don't win with it 99% of the time. They still have to know it, but it's easily countered anymore and has been knocked way down the list in terms of what wins fights in MMA. On the street it's always been 1/2/3 as above, and always will be.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't look like he knows Wing Chun at all.   Wing Chun requires you to close the distance.  His hands weren't in the nromal Wing Chun position but more of a boxing position.  Wing Chun blocks don't block completely and you absorb some of the hit, but deliver heavier blows in exchange.  Kick boxer weakened the Wing Chun man's stance by kicking several times to the right thigh. It also conditioned him to expect an attack against the right thigh and not a kick to the head.  Bruce Lee used to condition his opponents that way.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm no fighter, but I'm pretty sure if you take several shots to the head and never go on the offensive, you should expect the same result.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#45]
He should have waxed off then Craned him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  If anything 50% ground/50% striking.  Plenty examples proven in and out of the ring.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#47]
My best friend is 6'2 240lbs and is a black belt. He was one of the few people who could spar with Dennis back in the day. Denis brutalized guys in training.

Ramon Dekkers is the greatest non Thai fighter to ever live in my opinion in the true Muay Thai arena.

Jason Lambert is my BJJ coach. You just don't understand how good these guys are until you roll with them. The untrained don't stand a chance against a real MMA fighter.

Babalu gets KO'd by Jason Lambert
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn.

Crouching Tiger had like 25 pounds on the kickboxer too.

Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol that's what I thought. I have never even fought a kick boxer and right before the final kick said to my wife 'he's about to kick him right in the face'
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yea but muh jeet kune do...
View Quote
I was a kickboxer back in the 1980's.  My trainer, Richard Framm, was runner-up for PKA trainer of the year to Jerry Trimble's trainer in 1982.  Back in those days kickboxing was not quite a brutal as thai boxing or MMA kickboxers.  Paul Vizzio and Don Wilson both went to asia and beat asian champions in the 80's in similar fashion to this video.

If you read Bruce Lee's Fighting Methods he advocates for boxing hand techniques and could be regarded as the father of kickboxing.  Lee stressed the need to train as you fight including full contact sparring.

Not me but trained by my trainer:

Dennis Downey vs Leroy Hopkins 2018 06 14 01 10 06 UTC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top