BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep.  They work very well at hanging up coats.

And roasting marshmallows.

And abortions.

That's about it.
View Quote
You forgot breaking into your own car after you locked your keys in it
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And abortions.

That's about it.
These new fangled cars are harder to open that way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dollar store is the only place I’ve found that still sells wire coat hangers, albeit they are the white painted slightly skinnier kind.

The government probably doesn’t want you to make dowsing rods.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always tell myself that all the people who claim to believe in this stuff are just trolling.

... because I refuse to believe they can actually be that fucking stupid.  
View Quote
I bet I can find a scientific paper that proves you wrong.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
GD would use dowsing rods to find IEDs
View Quote
That might actually work.  We'll never know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Have had alot of ppl that i trust tell me it works   Personally never tried or really cared either way.  Reading all this makes me want to go give it a try though.  Later after i get further into my drink ill give it a try
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Before i get started what do the wires do if they sense the raping sasquach things.  Id like as much heads up as possible if they are headed my way
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have had alot of ppl that i trust tell me it works   Personally never tried or really cared either way.  Reading all this makes me want to go give it a try though.  Later after i get further into my drink ill give it a try
View Quote
The more you drink, the better it works.  Fact.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It's how Sasquatch finds water.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always tell myself that all the people who claim to believe in this stuff are just trolling.

Define 'scientific'. Then go on to explain the difference between proof and statistical inference. Then, if those two sufficiently agree with general scientific practice, go find a paper that isn't in the Cracker Jack Journal of Purchased Citations that, in actuality, uses good, repeatable, blind methods and good statistical process to make sufficiently narrow and focused determinations and reasonable conclusions. I'll wait.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dowsing is a process handed down to us by space aliens.
View Quote
Did they hand it down before or after the butt probe?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did they hand it down before or after the butt probe?
View Quote
During.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then my ass would be Magellan!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Define 'scientific'. Then go on to explain the difference between proof and statistical inference. Then, if those two sufficiently agree with general scientific practice, go find a paper that isn't in the Cracker Jack Journal of Purchased Citations that, in actuality, uses good, repeatable, blind methods and good statistical process to make sufficiently narrow and focused determinations and reasonable conclusions. I'll wait.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf

On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit

Gordon Pennycook
James Allan Cheyne

Nathaniel Barr

Derek J. Koehler

Jonathan A. Fugelsang

Abstract

Although bullshit is common in everyday life and has attracted attention from philosophers, its reception (critical or ingen-
uous) has not, to our knowledge, been subject to empirical investigation. Here we focus on pseudo-profound bullshit, which
consists of seemingly impressive assertions that are presented as true and meaningful but are actually vacuous. We presented
participants with bullshit statements consisting of buzzwords randomly organized into statements with syntactic structure but
no discernible meaning (e.g., “Wholeness quiets infinite phenomena”). Across multiple studies, the propensity to judge bull-
shit statements as profound was associated with a variety of conceptually relevant variables (e.g., intuitive cognitive style,
supernatural belief). Parallel associations were less evident among profundity judgments for more conventionally profound
(e.g., “A wet person does not fear the rain”) or mundane (e.g., “Newborn babies require constant attention”) statements. These
results support the idea that some people are more receptive to this type of bullshit and that detecting it is not merely a matter
of indiscriminate skepticism but rather a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims. Our re-
sults also suggest that a bias toward accepting statements as true may be an important component of pseudo-profound bullshit
receptivity.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What about all the people on here that claim that they can dowse for all types of things? Are you calling them liars?
View Quote
Yep, sure am.  They're all liars.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

During.
View Quote
Lube or no lube?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dowsing rods are used to locate a fault of some sort, not locate and flag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a guy shows up to flag a 24", 1200psi natural gas pipeline do you want witchin sticks, or a metrotech?  DOT only allows one...
Dowsing rods are used to locate a fault of some sort, not locate and flag.
No, they magically do whatever the diviner wants them to do.  According to people here they can locate metal pipe, plastic pipe, aquifers (cause of the moving water! even though you can pick up pipes without moving water), other random buried objects, and you can use either wood or metal for the rods.

My favorite thing about these threads are the people who are impressed with someone drilling a well and hitting water.

Oh one more thing - as for the rods picking up that "moving water!" - water in aquifers moves at the rate of inches per day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another thread full of people that don't understand and flat out reject the ideomotor effect.

Awesome. These are always great.

Let's get @Subnet and @swingset in here.
View Quote
Sorry, I was busy in the bigfoot and Ouija thread....but I'm here now to hear about someone's retarded uncle that can do it every time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, they magically do whatever the diviner wants them to do.  According to people here they can locate metal pipe, plastic pipe, aquifers (cause of the moving water! even though you can pick up pipes without moving water), other random buried objects, and you can use either wood or metal for the rods.

My favorite thing about these threads that are the people who are impressed with someone drilling a well and hitting water.

Oh one more thing - as for the rods picking up that "moving water!" - water in aquifers moves at the rate of inches per day.
View Quote
That is true in the water rich lower elevations but when you get up into the higher elevations, finding well water is more difficult.  It may come down to hitting a fast moving vein of water.

The reason why the old timers were so good at placing wells which continue to produce great yields today, while the younger guys are poking around in random placing drilling a bunch of dry holes is because old timers knew how to dowse.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with the paranormal.

As far as I know, the coat hanger technique works solely on metal water pipes.  I've never tried it on PVC.

The biggest difficulty using this technique is finding a wire coat hanger.
View Quote
No the biggest difficulty is subconsciously moving the coat hanger at the appropriate location.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What I find most interesting is the amount of old timers that come out of the woodwork raving against it. Almost as if they have an actual agenda--------------------- hmmmm?
View Quote
What agenda are you suggesting? Are they all part of the anti-dowsing lobby?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They'll give you fibromyalgia if you use them in the presence of wifi. Just ask any chiropractor.
View Quote
You win the thread
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The reason why the old timers were so good at placing wells which continue to produce great yields today, while the younger guys are poking around in random placing drilling a bunch of dry holes is because old timers knew how to dowse.  
View Quote
Why wasn't this valuable knowledge passed onto the younger guys? I'd imagine both the providers and customers of such a service would be happy to save thousands of dollars or more in wasted time/equipment costs, so why aren't the big time pros all over this?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another thread full of people that don't understand and flat out reject the ideomotor effect.

Awesome. These are always great.

Let's get @Subnet and @swingset in here.
View Quote
I don't have the energy anymore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dousing does work but I don't think it would work with coat hangers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
I’ve seen it work too often to doubt it’s real, but not with coat hangers.
Dousing does work but I don't think it would work with coat hangers.
I would guess that coat hangers would be more likely to pick up a change in the magnetic field lines. if there was a change.  But I doubt there really is enough

I can't see wood picking anything up.  Otherwise what wood trees along rivers look like?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gordon Pennycook
James Allan Cheyne

Nathaniel Barr

Derek J. Koehler

Jonathan A. Fugelsang

Abstract

Although bullshit is common in everyday life and has attracted attention from philosophers, its reception (critical or ingen-
uous) has not, to our knowledge, been subject to empirical investigation. Here we focus on pseudo-profound bullshit, which
consists of seemingly impressive assertions that are presented as true and meaningful but are actually vacuous. We presented
participants with bullshit statements consisting of buzzwords randomly organized into statements with syntactic structure but
no discernible meaning (e.g., “Wholeness quiets infinite phenomena”). Across multiple studies, the propensity to judge bull-
shit statements as profound was associated with a variety of conceptually relevant variables (e.g., intuitive cognitive style,
supernatural belief). Parallel associations were less evident among profundity judgments for more conventionally profound
(e.g., “A wet person does not fear the rain”) or mundane (e.g., “Newborn babies require constant attention”) statements. These
results support the idea that some people are more receptive to this type of bullshit and that detecting it is not merely a matter
of indiscriminate skepticism but rather a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims. Our re-
sults also suggest that a bias toward accepting statements as true may be an important component of pseudo-profound bullshit
receptivity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gordon Pennycook
James Allan Cheyne

Nathaniel Barr

Derek J. Koehler

Jonathan A. Fugelsang

Abstract

receptivity.

Classic
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Arfcom has an embarrassing number of dowsetards.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And abortions.

That's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used coat hangers.

They work.

And abortions.

That's about it.
You forgot "Unlocking 1970's car doors."
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Dad and I used 2 wire hangars to find metal objects. He tended to lose lots of stuff like keys in big sawdust piles. Worked every time. Remember that the human body gives off an EM field. All you are doing is creating an interference point in that EM field.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can teach you how to witch, but we won't be using any of that wire silliness.

A Y from a peach tree in the spring is best, but one from an apple tree is a good substitute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can teach you how to witch, but we won't be using any of that wire silliness.

A Y from a peach tree in the spring is best, but one from an apple tree is a good substitute.
Does it have to be cut by a silver sickle by the light of a new moon?

If you’re going to make shit up, go for broke....
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Arfcom has an embarrassing number of dowsetards.  
View Quote
Why yes, yes it does.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where does Bigfoot get wire hangers, smart guy?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dad and I used 2 wire hangars to find metal objects. He tended to lose lots of stuff like keys in big sawdust piles. Worked every time. Remember that the human body gives off an EM field. All you are doing is creating an interference point in that EM field.
View Quote
Another candidate for the  “cash cache or pressure sensitive antipersonnel device” challenge?

More physics please... this could get good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The wire from surveyor’s flags works beautifully to bend into dowsing rods.  Lighter and more sensitive than coat hanger wire.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a plastic line with no liquid in it. Witchin sticks won't work because there's really no magnetic disruption in the ground/no conductor. GPR would pick it up depending on how far down it is we're talking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a guy shows up to flag a 24", 1200psi natural gas pipeline do you want witchin sticks, or a metrotech?  DOT only allows one...
It's a plastic line with no liquid in it. Witchin sticks won't work because there's really no magnetic disruption in the ground/no conductor. GPR would pick it up depending on how far down it is we're talking.
Lol, just no.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Electricity and magnetism.   If you understand them well enough, you can understand how dowsing might work.

For something that many of you claim doesn't work,  it seems to have an awfully high and consistent success rate.  

Don't you just hate it when you can't explain why something works and despite all your jumping up and down and stomping your feet and yelling "That can't possibly work!", there's a guy out there right now who's actually using it with a very impressive success rate?

In my time working for the phone company I was taught the dowsing for buried cable trick and guess what?  It worked.  Every. Single. Time.  Even when the 3m/Dynatel cable locator system gave questionable results,  dowsing with lengths of ground wire always found the cable and it never, ever missed.   The cable was right under the crossing points.  In places I'd never been,  with cables that didn't appear on any documents I had access to.

Only a fool denies the evidence in front of him.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
One would have to be more than stupid to reject what they saw with their own eyes.

In my case I witnessed the late Bill Botton, a master gunsmith and machinist who used to build race guns from scratch for competitors, using bent metal rods, locate a broken sewer line on his lawn.
Just because we don't know yet why it works, or why it doesn't always work, does not make it "para" anything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
How did we ever send people into space
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#44]
So a guy who didn't use them is your prof that they work?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Electricity and magnetism.   If you understand them well enough, you can understand how dowsing might work.

For something that many of you claim doesn't work,  it seems to have an awfully high and consistent success rate.  

...snip.
View Quote
An absurd claim, at best.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Classic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gordon Pennycook
James Allan Cheyne

Nathaniel Barr

Derek J. Koehler

Jonathan A. Fugelsang

Abstract

receptivity.

Classic
Yeah, probably the best search result, ever.  I raffed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dousing isn't real
View Quote
But dowsing is.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL! And if you understand them just a little bit more, you can understand why it doesn't!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
And yet has never -- ever -- been repeatably produced in a double-blind controlled experiment, despite more than one generous cash offer to the first person who can do so.

The half dozen or so in this thread who are quite snarkily confident in their ability to dowse should go submit themselves to one of the experiments and retire on the winnings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dry cleaners like everyone else. What kind of fucking question is that?
Page / 5
Top Top