BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want our battleships built by welfare rats? GTFO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And as a jobs program

If you're getting Welfare you have to work a set number of hours on Battleship construction.  This will be observed of course, like an apprenticeship or classroom depending on role and critical need of the components.

people would learn a huge number of marketable skills, they'd get pride in being part of something awesome, and the US taxpayer would get something in return.

We waste far more money on stuff far less awesome
You want our battleships built by welfare rats? GTFO.
Thats where you're wrong

on the first day, they're welfare rats

on the second day they're laborers, welders apprentices, electrician apprentices and so on.  Also, they aren't Union.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
OP wants this
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Voots beard! Everyone knows small attack ships run circles around big cruisers.
View Quote
The USS Johnston certainly proved that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know it's been beat to death, but I'm doing laundry and bored.

If you're President with both houses of Congress fully committed to your agenda, do you build a modern battleship? Maybe rail guns and shit. Maybe regular big ass cannons. Your call.

I say yes.

Under the Whiskers plan, we have 20 CVNS, 300 Seawolf 2s, and some new crazy battleship. I don't know maybe a couple hospital ships. But no Littoral crap and no Zumwalts. I say this as a guy who knows almost nothing about Naval warfare. BUT MY PLAN IS SOUND.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MiniatureAngryHackee-size_restricted.gif
View Quote

Battleships did not become obsolete because they are hard to kill, but because they couldn’t kill anything.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How many of those have we done in the last two decades?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would they do?
Bad ass murica reasoning aside, I read a good article a few years ago that they were VERY helpful to Marine amphibious landings.
Evidently not enough!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would they do?
Bad ass murica reasoning aside, I read a good article a few years ago that they were VERY helpful to Marine amphibious landings.
Very fair point.

However, if we wish to do so, it'd be pretty tits right?

I'm only half joking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
100% I want ridiculous space battleships
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Under my plan the entire ocean is completely covered with Seawolf 2s, if that matters
View Quote
So a man could walk from Greenland, to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When was the last battleship fired in vain?

Did we shell Iraq in Desert Storm with them?
View Quote
Yes, iirc a battalion or maybe even a division surrendered to a US battleship in Desert Storm.

You could still see the old shell craters in 2003.

Within 20 miles, nothing delivers the pain like a BB.
Not even a carrier, because the carrier can’t cycle sorties fast enough to keep up with the ROF of a BB.

The problem is, as absolutely tough as a BB is, it is dead before it gets into range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Building 10 more BB would be a better use of taxpayer dollars than a single year of welfare
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The four Iowa class BBs need to be reactivated, in addition to the USS 'Bama and USS North Carolina.

The world respects-and FEARS-16" NGF.  NGLOs need something more than 5" guns to ply their trade.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, iirc a battalion or maybe even a division surrendered to a US battleship in Desert Storm.

Not even a carrier, because the carrier can’t cycle sorties fast enough to keep up with the ROF of a BB.

The problem is, as absolutely tough as a BB is, it is dead before it gets into range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When was the last battleship fired in vain?

Did we shell Iraq in Desert Storm with them?

Which is why God invented the Sea Launched Cruise Missile, and the CSG with organic ASW capability.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
50,000 ton gun warships are obsolete.
View Quote
No, they aren't. They excel at fire support (think Marines) and can survive any current surface weapon except a nuke. Six 16" guns up front, VLS cells on the stern. Lots of AAA on board. Missiles are great for long-range surface engagements,  but those APHE 16" shells combined with modern fire control are particularly effective at killing reinforced targets. Modern gun tech could probably give a substantial boost in range. A modern BB would also be smaller than the old WWII ships because of modern command, control, and ship handling equipment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Battleships did not become obsolete because they are hard to kill, but because they couldn’t kill anything.
View Quote
But they are hell on fixed position targets within 20 miles or so of the coast, so there is that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cost money and get sunk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would they do?
Cost money and get sunk.
Like a carrier?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
We have way better delivery systems for high explosives and armor perpetrators than giant, unguided bullets.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Battleships are cool but if we bring them back we might as well restart the transatlantic zeppelin service and rotary phones hooked to landlines with live operators to connect calls.

They're all gone because we have long ago figured out better ways to do their jobs.
View Quote
I think in the not too distant future energy based point defense systems will largely render attack aircraft and missiles obsolete. What will we use to strike targets if/when that happens? Torpedoes can strike ships, but not land based targets. You can't shoot down a hyper velocity kinetic round...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last one that saw combat (Missouri) had a silkworm missile launched at her that was shot down by the HMS Gloucester.
View Quote
Silkworm was a simple HE blast-effect warhead designed to trash modern lightly-armored ships and mission-kill them by destroying their sensors and weapons. Missouri was not lightly armored and would not have been disabled by the hit if it had landed. The blast effect wouldn't have been able to penetrate the belts AT ALL.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So a man could walk from Greenland, to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under my plan the entire ocean is completely covered with Seawolf 2s, if that matters
That's the idea.

Basically our biggest problem is subs running into our other ridiculous subs. They're sweeping the sea clean.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Building 10 more BB would be a better use of taxpayer dollars than a single year of welfare
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would they do?
At the rate things are going, we'll wish we had them to deal with Iran.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Voots beard! Everyone knows small attack ships run circles around big cruisers.
View Quote
Yeah, right up until the QF 5" DP guns track and kill them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
In a railgun heavy config, yes.

I would hazard a guess that eventually, rail guns may even make some missiles obsolete.

Heavy railgun projectiles could even make anti missile missiles obsolete. If you'd hit a 16" shell with frag, would it notice? A direct hit may disrupt the trajectory, but I don't think it would make it detonate.

Nuke powered, heavy enough armor to defeat anti ship missiles, and let that bitch roam the seas. Anything within range gets a dose of hypervelocity rounds. It will need sub support, just like everything else.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah that's what this old school surface warrior was thinking. Sound as the dollar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:BUT MY PLAN IS SOUND.
Yeah that's what this old school surface warrior was thinking. Sound as the dollar.
I'm admittedly not a naval warfare expert.

I do see actual benefits, however. Mostly, just because America
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In a railgun heavy config, yes.

I would hazard a guess that eventually, rail guns may even make some missiles obsolete.

Heavy railgun projectiles could even make anti missile missiles obsolete. If you'd hit a 16" shell with frag, would it notice? A direct hit may disrupt the trajectory, but I don't think it would make it detonate.

Nuke powered, heavy enough armor to defeat anti ship missiles, and let that bitch roam the seas. Anything within range gets a dose of hypervelocity rounds. It will need sub support, just like everything else.
View Quote

Yes!

Edit: That's where Seawolf 2 Electric boogaloo comes into play
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Amen
View Quote
Yep.  And one can see the benefits of the skilled trades that it would take to build/refurbish them vs throwing money down the welfare rabbit hole and the psychological impact on littoral third world shitholes

Certainly they are obsolete, but there are more considerations than the modern blue water battle space
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I suggest you read Alfred Thayer Mahan’s “The Influence of Sea Power on History.” Some Times the psychological affect of a platform outweighs its practical use.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What would they do?
View Quote
Sit in the South China Sea and lob 18-inch shells over islands that don't exist.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I suggest you read Alfred Thayer Mahan’s “The Influence of Sea Power on History.” Some Times the psychological affect of a platform outweighs its practical use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will add to Amazon.

Will continue to argue taxpayer monies go to awesomeness and not dependency.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like 5th gen fighters.

Just don't. Just don't even try, because America
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#34]
What ranges can gunpowder naval rifles achieve?

What ranges are possible with electromagnetic launch?

How can these ranges be improved by guided, rocket-assisted projectiles, and how much do those rounds cost?

Ok, then.

What are the ranges of Tomahawk, LRASM, and SM-3/6?

What are the ranges of threat ASCM and ASBM?

Firepower and big fuck-off guns are certainly part of the American military tradition, but I’d spend Navy money on a great deal of other things before spending it on battleships.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think in the not too distant future energy based point defense systems will largely render attack aircraft and missiles obsolete. What will we use to strike targets if/when that happens? Torpedoes can strike ships, but not land based targets. You can't shoot down a hyper velocity kinetic round...
View Quote
Maybe why the all the big dogs on the world scene are furiously working on hypersonic weapons delivery systems?

Battleship guns have extremely limited range vs aircraft (even if they employed working railguns) and the ships themselves would be giant sitting ducks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Kinda like 5th gen fighters.

Just don't. Just don't even try, because America
View Quote
I have to agree.  There are incredibly varied missions of our Navy and open blue water conflict is only a part. One cannot disregard the effect of a behemoth lobbing 3000 lb shells at a third world costal shithole.  Of course, we have to have the will to use such “diplomacy”

BBs are obsolete against major open water competitors, but fucktards like Somali pirates?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I love battleships. Some of the most awesome vessels ever.

To answer the OP, no.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like a carrier?
View Quote
At least a carrier can project force farther than 20 miles. I can't think of anything more wasteful than pissing money away on battleships.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I vote for the Montanas!
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It’d of been awesome if the Iowa or Missouri was parked of the coast of Somalia during Black Hawk Down!

I don’t think we’d have lost any to enemy combat yet had we not retired them. We should have kept 1 operational just to show the flag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would they do?
It’d of been awesome if the Iowa or Missouri was parked of the coast of Somalia during Black Hawk Down!

I don’t think we’d have lost any to enemy combat yet had we not retired them. We should have kept 1 operational just to show the flag.
It would have been the equivalent of what Trump did with the MOAB at the start of his presidency.  A broadside into Mogadishu?  Allah couldn't save them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Have we gotten all the normal illogical "bb's can't do X because they're susceptible to Y" despite every navy ship being susceptible to Y thing yet? How about people mistaking them for being constructed the same as much smaller ships? In just a brief scroll thorough I already saw a BUNCH of arguments against BB's based on really bad logic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#43]
On a spectrum between build more battleships and all surface combatants are obsolete we are far closer to the latter than the former.

If/when we get into a conflict with a near-peer power our surface fleet is going to be held to stand off distances by cruise, ballistic, and hypersonic weapons that render it largely irrelevant.

What we need is a Columbia class variant purpose built for carrying a few hundred cruise missiles to replace the out going Ohio class SSGNs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#45]
No.   Time to join this century.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Battleships did not become obsolete because they are hard to kill, but because they couldn't kill anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know it's been beat to death, but I'm doing laundry and bored.

If you're President with both houses of Congress fully committed to your agenda, do you build a modern battleship? Maybe rail guns and shit. Maybe regular big ass cannons. Your call.

I say yes.

Under the Whiskers plan, we have 20 CVNS, 300 Seawolf 2s, and some new crazy battleship. I don't know maybe a couple hospital ships. But no Littoral crap and no Zumwalts. I say this as a guy who knows almost nothing about Naval warfare. BUT MY PLAN IS SOUND.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MiniatureAngryHackee-size_restricted.gif

Battleships did not become obsolete because they are hard to kill, but because they couldn't kill anything.
So why were they used to protect Aircraft carriers, then brough back every decade to kill people till the 90's?

So far the closest our BB's have come to not killing anything, is what replaced them, the Zumwalt's lack of capability.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
After watching a documentation series on TV, I think we need to build more USS Nathan James.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Of course.

They would be one of the only US Navy warships able to perform an actual necessary job. Frigates and Destroyers and Cruisers are nothing more than jobs programs for Naval Officers and ship builders. They do nothing in this modern world other than costing us money. The same could probably be said for submarines as well. But Battleships? They very much have a job: they can obliterate anything within twenty or thirty miles of a coastline, and if designed correctly do it with almost perfect safety from anything south of a nuclear weapon. You could park one in Shanghai harbor and they still wouldn't be able to hurt the thing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
TBH BB's do pretty well against nukes as well.

Testing post war showed them to be pretty resilient.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Battleships are cool but if we bring them back we might as well restart the transatlantic zeppelin service and rotary phones hooked to landlines with live operators to connect calls.

They're all gone because we have long ago figured out better ways to do their jobs.
View Quote
I would love transatlantic zeppelin service...but only as an enhanced cruise ship that could also let you tour over land.  Otherwise they’re totally obsolete, as are the old Battleships.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top