Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot an AR pistol from the shoulder with just the buffer tube, and that doesn't magically transform it into an SBR.  But having the brace on does?  How about a sling attachment, or a light, or a laser, or...

When the ATF starts saying one firearm is legal to shoot from a particular position, but another identically-classified firearm is not, I think their game is over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Has the supreme court rules on the constitutionality of the NFA?
I could have sworn they said it was, but I cannot say for sure, but such a case would surely put the argument to bed.

Next up, I want to see someone try this:
Install a "safety" sear in a semi-automatic weapon, and explain to the ATF that your INTENT is to use it to keep the weapon from firing out of battery (and, certainly, NOT to make it full auto)  
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the NFA is perfectly constitutional.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It would seem the denial came from the CLEO, and not the ATF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great! However, once again you fail to address the issue raised.

Qualified individuals who have been denied NFA stamps.

Who?

I've been into NFA for over 10 years, and have never heard of a qualified individual denied by ATF for a SBR, SBS, AOW, DD, or transfer of a MG.

I know several folks who were unable to get approval because the CLEO would not sign off on the application.
You call it a local issue....doesnt change the fact that qualified individuals were unable to get to the crucial ATF approval part of the stamp process.

It would seem the denial came from the CLEO, and not the ATF.

Seems like ATF can't "infringe" so they delegate authority to CLEO who will? Hmmmm, smells like a loophole or a workaround to me. No shortage of scofflaws in and out of the gov it seems.

It's pretty clear to me, in plain language construct, that a subject which simply "shall not be infringed" is protected against infringement by all comers; as opposed to something which is only protected against trampling from a specific potential assailant, like Congress in "Congress shall make no law" not being a prohibition against private party curtailing of speech.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can shoot an AR pistol from the shoulder with just the buffer tube, and that doesn't magically transform it into an SBR.  But having the brace on does?  How about a sling attachment, or a light, or a laser, or...

When the ATF starts saying one firearm is legal to shoot from a particular position, but another identically-classified firearm is not, I think their game is over.
View Quote

Show me the letter. Someone has to have it. It's not that I don't believe you. I just want to see the letter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does Congress not have the power to tax interstate commerce?

Are firearms that are made and shipped all over the country not in interstate commerce?

With the obvious exception of (and previously stated) machine gun ban, how exactly is it unconstitutional?

EVERYONE who is legally qualified gets their stuff when they pay their tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71346

Are firearms that are made and shipped all over the country not in interstate commerce?

With the obvious exception of (and previously stated) machine gun ban, how exactly is it unconstitutional?

Are you familiar with the concept of "Poll Tax"?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd just like to understand what tangible service the $200.00 tax provides to the public at large. If none can be readily attributed then wouldn't it simply amount to nothing more than a for-profit "fee"; a fee that is inordinate relative to the process involved? If it is only as much, a flat fee of $5.00 should be held across the board.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
does anyone  have stats on arrests made for NFA violation <STRICTLY nfa violations> that were not add on charges for other issues?
View Quote

Probably can count them using only your appendages...
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd just like to understand what tangible service the $200.00 tax provides to the public at large. If none can be readily attributed then wouldn't it simply amount to nothing more than a for-profit "fee" that is inordinate relative to the process involved? If it is only as much, a flat fee of $5.00 should be held across the board.
View Quote

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/national-firearms-act

"While the NFA was enacted by Congress as an exercise of its authority to tax, the NFA had an underlying purpose unrelated to revenue collection. As the legislative history of the law discloses, its underlying purpose was to curtail, if not prohibit, transactions in NFA firearms."
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"While the NFA was enacted by Congress as an exercise of its authority to tax, the NFA had an underlying purpose unrelated to revenue collection. As the legislative history of the law discloses, its underlying purpose was to curtail, if not prohibit, transactions in NFA firearms."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd just like to understand what tangible service the $200.00 tax provides to the public at large. If none can be readily attributed then wouldn't it simply amount to nothing more than a for-profit "fee" that is inordinate relative to the process involved? If it is only as much, a flat fee of $5.00 should be held across the board.

Wow. From their own site.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

i suspect it is almost zero. hell the ATF can't even be bothered to prosecute BG felons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
does anyone  have stats on arrests made for NFA violation <STRICTLY nfa violations> that were not add on charges for other issues?

i suspect it is almost zero. hell the ATF can't even be bothered to prosecute BG felons.

I had a felon steal a suppressor from me (along with other firearms).  Called ATF.  They didn't care.  He wasn't prosecuted by the fedgov at all for weapons possession or possession of unregistered NFA, he was prosecuted by the state of AZ for "misconduct involving weapons".
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. How has that never been ruled unconstitutional? Maybe that's why Nolo is so enthusiastic right now

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a felon steal a suppressor from me (along with other firearms).  Called ATF.  They didn't care.  He wasn't prosecuted by the fedgov at all for weapons possession or possession of unregistered NFA, he was prosecuted by the state of AZ for "misconduct involving weapons".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

So it's likely they wouldn't give a shit if someone defended themselves with a shoulder-fried SigBraced pistol ?

Man, if only folks could be assured of that actually being the rule of the day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As described, not really a service per se. As far as it's ulterior motive, it really hasn't worked because it hasn't dissuaded the criminal element from commiting criminal acts with NFA regulated weaponry. We are talking about criminals, yes? Not you or I, no?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Screw the ATF.  

Just wanted to get another one in today.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Show me the letter. Someone has to have it. It's not that I don't believe you. I just want to see the letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This letter says its ok and references 99146 that you are looking for.  Still can't find 99146 though.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BATFE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html&page=4#i6425917
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow. How has that never been ruled unconstitutional? Maybe that's why Nolo is so enthusiastic right now  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean yah, until I read that I thought the ATF was just a neutral arbiter of gun rights, just there to smooth the flow of commerce in deadly weapons. They gave me permission to get a 8.3 oz piece of harmless metal just the other day I only had to fill out one mildly intelligence-insulting form to get it too. They're my friends. I'm sure they are !!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd just like to understand what tangible service the $200.00 tax provides to the public at large. If none can be readily attributed then wouldn't it simply amount to nothing more than a for-profit "fee"; a fee that is inordinate relative to the process involved? If it is only as much, a flat fee of $5.00 should be held across the board.
View Quote

Surely, somebody out there has filed FOIA requests to the ATF to figure out how much per year the ATF takes in for tax stamps for:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

And then there is some sort of money trail which shows what that revenue actually pays for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Surely, somebody out there has filed FOIA requests to the ATF to figure out how much per year the ATF takes in for tax stamps for:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

And then there is some sort of money trail which shows what that revenue actually pays for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

that would be interesting to see
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As described, not really a service per se. As far as it's ulterior motive, it really hasn't worked because it hasn't dissuaded the criminal element from commiting criminal acts with NFA regulated weaponry. We are talking about criminals, yes? Not you or I, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Not a service for the benefit of benign gun owners. Not a service to keep weapons out of the hands of those who would use them to harm others. Bad guys get them anyways. Serves only the interests of those who wish to curtail arms ownership among the general populace.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This letter says its ok and references 99146 that you are looking for.  Still can't find 99146 though.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BATFE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html&page=4#i6425917
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 99146 is the one I care about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe it or, there are some people in the BATFE that complete understand the actual basis for the firearms laws their agency enforces and the Consitutionality of those laws.

Some of them are "just doing their job" and don't think about it.  And some of them agree with the basis, regardless of the Constitutionality because they think they are "doing good".  An some of them would like to see their own agency shut its doors.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Y'all!

Is this the "where can I find the cheapest Sig Brace?" thread?

Oh, I guess not, I'll keep searching
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Article 1 Section 8:

Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

I have never heard of a qualified individual being denied an NFA Stamp.  Have you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the obvious exception of the machinegun ban, the NFA is perfectly constitutional.

Article 1 Section 8:

Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

I have never heard of a qualified individual being denied an NFA Stamp.  Have you?

Okay, I have to jump in here because you just went full retard.

If I try to get an NFA stamp, right now, I will be denied, flat on it's face. My CLEO *WILL NOT SIGN* any NFA paperwork. Without that signature it is denied. No SBR's, no AOW's, No happy switch. Flat won't sign it.

Have I been denied? Fuck no, but I'm not stupid enough to even try. I know what the outcome will be. Others have tried and they've all gotten turned down.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's a local problem, not an NFA problem.

I support "shall sign" legislation
View Quote

No, that's a Federal problem.

Why is the CLEO signature even necessary?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey Y'all!

Is this the "where can I find the cheapest Sig Brace?" thread?

Oh, I guess not, I'll keep searching
View Quote

Wonder how many people picked up one the day this thread popped up?      

I will point out, yet again, that that ATF letters mean nothing.   They can change their mind at any time - and the letter won't keep you from getting wrecked in court, because the number of things the feds can charge you with is really only limited by how much they want to nail you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I try to get an NFA stamp, right now, I will be denied, flat on it's face. My CLEO *WILL NOT SIGN* any NFA paperwork. Without that signature it is denied. No SBR's, no AOW's, No happy switch. Flat won't sign it.

Have I been denied? Fuck no, but I'm not stupid enough to even try. I know what the outcome will be. Others have tried and they've all gotten turned down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the obvious exception of the machinegun ban, the NFA is perfectly constitutional.

Article 1 Section 8:

Section. 8.

Link

The above is where e ATF is attempting to do away with the trust folks getting around the CLEO signature, finger print and photos for NFA items.

I skimmed through the 62 pages and the ATF plans to revising the form 1 for the CLEO sig. to just state something to the effect of "I don't have any reason to believe the individual in this application would be unable to own this NFA item"

I will read it all when I have more time. They go on to say they understand and have received phone calls from CLEO's that have said they don't feel comfortable signing for liability purposes.

But they if point out how the CLEO signature IS outdated and they have access to the same, if not more back ground check data that local law enforcement does!

I have my form 1 all ready... Just waiting to hear back from the county sheriff via email. If I don't hear back in a few days I will call. If denied iI won't let it die and give up. I am in no rush, I will go through every appeal process I can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arfcommer defending the NFA - WTF
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

pretty much. local LE don't enforce ATF letters. IF anyone gets charged 99.9% will be an add on charge involved with another crime <felony>. i don't see the atf running out to ranges looking for sig brace violators anymore than i see them out there looking for actual SBR violations. Even IF they charged someone with conflicting explanations i think they are going to have a hard time getting an actual prosecution.

the pistol with a brace installed is 100% a pistol. it is 100% legal to own and use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody at the BATFE gives a single fuck about how you use your sig braces, and not a single person will ever be brought on charges for any "misuse" of anything.

Only about .01% of brace owners will ever read some flavor of the day "ruling". They will continue to buy these things by the thousands in every local gun store for years to come, and the only fucks given, will be by wannabe lawyer fucks on AR15.com.

Buy, enjoy, and quit worrying about the sky falling..........cause it's not

pretty much. local LE don't enforce ATF letters. IF anyone gets charged 99.9% will be an add on charge involved with another crime <felony>. i don't see the atf running out to ranges looking for sig brace violators anymore than i see them out there looking for actual SBR violations. Even IF they charged someone with conflicting explanations i think they are going to have a hard time getting an actual prosecution.

the pistol with a brace installed is 100% a pistol. it is 100% legal to own and use.

But on the off chance a member catches heat for something else it could be brought up. Like when I got those guns taken because the house got shot, once the officer figured out it wasn't likely me(as in no fucking way he could charge me) he started digging for other things to charge me with, and the SBR GSG-5 was something he tried to stick me with. Little did he know I did have it properly registered, but he wasted a couple of months playing phone tag with my lawyer figuring out what "paperwork" I had on it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a PA statie that really wanted to make me one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

We know where it goes. That's no secret. It goes to the DOJ general fund.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I suppose everyone who paid thier Poll tax got to vote too.  You can't tax voting or free speech guy, why would it be any different.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR's
SBS's
suppressors

Full autos (???)

The general fund pays for just about anything related to the DOJ. It's not like for every $200 tax paid transfer the ATF gets another gold star and a mouse pad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

the intention was a courtesy notification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a local problem, not an NFA problem.

I support "shall sign" legislation

No, that's a Federal problem.

Why is the CLEO signature even necessary?

the intention was a courtesy notification.

And that's why those idiots at nfatca or whatever they went by were trying to get rid of the CLEO sign off. Totally back fired, but back when it was put in place the local chief of police would actually know the person who was making the request as he knew everyone in his town. In this day and age most CLEO wouldn't know most of the people living in their jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
just pay the stamp.. i say SBR.

Quoted:

"To SBR or not SBR..........that is the question?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you guys still wankin over this..... i thought we where dropping it ?

"To SBR or not SBR..........that is the question?"

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Double

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double

Triple

The guy calls all arfcommers douchebags (pg.15) and then defends the NFA. Really swingin' for the fences there, Squirt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Still waiting for someone to show me where the NFA is unconstitutional...
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you ignoring the part about having to pay a tax to exercise your Constitutionally protected right? Or would it be okay to start collecting a poll tax again?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still waiting for you to answer how someone who has both sbr's as well as pistols with sig braces is trying to get away with something and what they are trying to get away with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you ignoring the part about having to pay a tax to exercise your Constitutionally protected right? Or would it be okay to start collecting a poll tax again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where is the outrage over Pittman-Robertson?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does the lack of outrage over a different topic determine whether or not the NFA is Constitutional? Pittman-Robertson is not as well known as the NFA, so you will get less people pissed off about it. Pittman-Robertson also isn't amended repeatedly to contradict what was okay a few months ago
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top