Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You should give your coworkers some directives around their personal lives as well - I've found that people really appreciate comments around their religion, appearance, how to raise their kids, and a few other things
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Is anyone else picturing the OP in a Bobby Brady  Hall Monitor type armband acting like he's the boss of the whole place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It can be tough when we realize the limitations of those around us. And frustrationg when their piss poor performance and lack of drive and initiative might reflect on us.

Oh well, Whatever. We can talk later. You've got a wet cleanup in aisle 4, and I need you to set up that dump display of swim noodles before you go on break.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah. People don't really like to be bossed around by their peers. And as someone who spent a decade running a small company, managers don't always like people who assign themselves authority. Do your job. Go above and beyond when your bosses need it, and quit giving a shit what your coworkers don't do. If your managers are worth a shit, they know who's pulling their weight and who isn't. If they aren't worth a shit, it doesn't matter much what you do.

I guess.  I can already see in this thread arf has some real fucking slackers.  Must be nice to not do as much as the others around you.

It can be tough when we realize the limitations of those around us. And frustrationg when their piss poor performance and lack of drive and initiative might reflect on us.

Oh well, Whatever. We can talk later. You've got a wet cleanup in aisle 4, and I need you to set up that dump display of swim noodles before you go on break.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is anyone else picturing the OP in a Bobby Brady  Hall Monitor type armband acting like he's the boss of the whole place.
View Quote

Yeah your and others perception is wrong.  I work hard and expect others to also.  I am now working at Home Depot in lumber.  Why am I no longer at Lowes?  I already answered that.  Why did I not go back to Lowes ?  Because Home depot has success sharing.  Meaning all employees get a bonus check if the store hits its numbers.  Also the benefits are better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep it up OP, some one has to keep those turds in line!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I work hard and expect others to also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work hard and expect others to also.

The point, which you are ignoring, is that your coworkers don't really give a fuck what your expectations for them are.

Get your medications adjusted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with acting like a supervisor.  I know who the boss is.  Its about making the department I work in look the best it can look so when we get visits from the DM he wont chew our bosses ass and in turn her chew our asses.  Also keeping shit organized helps aid in sales and inventory counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you are not the supervisor, you can't act like one.    That simple.

Either get a promotion, get sociable, or get a new job.

Has nothing to do with acting like a supervisor.  I know who the boss is.  Its about making the department I work in look the best it can look so when we get visits from the DM he wont chew our bosses ass and in turn her chew our asses.  Also keeping shit organized helps aid in sales and inventory counts.

Oh, carry on then . Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah your and others perception is wrong.  I work hard and expect others to also.  I am now working at Home Depot in lumber.  Why am I no longer at Lowes?  I already answered that.  Why did I not go back to Lowes ?  Because Home depot has success sharing.  Meaning all employees get a bonus check if the store hits its numbers.  Also the benefits are better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your co-workers don't want to hear what you expect of them and apparently one or more of them became tired of the bullshit and brought it to the attention of an actual supervisor.

You definitely appear to be disgruntled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them.  Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your coworkers don't want your direction.  They may feel they don't NEED your direction.  

Don't give them anymore direction and concern yourself only with your work.  They will sink or swim.

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them.  Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.

That's the problem.  You aren't their supervisor.  You shouldn't be telling them what to do.  

If they aren't getting their shit done then talk to their supervisor about it.  It's his/her job to deal with it.  Not yours.  Besides, they obviously have no problems going to talk about your shortcomings.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Then let me explain.  

This is the age of "feelings" and making sure none get hurt.  This is the age when mediocrity is applauded and a strong work ethic is frowned upon by most, even mocked.  

I'm the same way and I've had supervisors tell me I need to "be more diplomatic".  Fuck that, shit needs to get done and being nice about it does not make things happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your coworkers don't want your direction.  They may feel they don't NEED your direction.  

Don't give them anymore direction and concern yourself only with your work.  They will sink or swim.

Then let me explain.  

This is the age of "feelings" and making sure none get hurt.  This is the age when mediocrity is applauded and a strong work ethic is frowned upon by most, even mocked.  

I'm the same way and I've had supervisors tell me I need to "be more diplomatic".  Fuck that, shit needs to get done and being nice about it does not make things happen.

It's even MORE fun when, in the middle of being reminded that you aren't a supervisor. ....the statement is made that in the absence of an actual supervisor the Senior Officer (you)is Responsible for the conduct of the juniors.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess.  I can already see in this thread arf has some real fucking slackers.  Must be nice to not do as much as the others around you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah. People don't really like to be bossed around by their peers. And as someone who spent a decade running a small company, managers don't always like people who assign themselves authority. Do your job. Go above and beyond when your bosses need it, and quit giving a shit what your coworkers don't do. If your managers are worth a shit, they know who's pulling their weight and who isn't. If they aren't worth a shit, it doesn't matter much what you do.

I'm a slacker.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home Depot lumber department?  You made it sound like you were middle manager at an IT firm or in financial consulting.  

Are you telling your co-workers to handle your wood in a particularly aggrressive fashion?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been in a position to run the show over the heads of people of my same pay grade with more seniority.  Comes with the territory in corrections though.  If you've got three officers running a housing unit with 256 adult male felons, and two of them are yard officers in the house filling in for HU officers, the officer who works the house every day and knows the offenders is going to run the show.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell us more about "I may have my issues."
View Quote

Dutch Uncle?

A Dutch uncle is an informal term for a person who issues frank, harsh, or severe comments and criticism to educate, encourage, or admonish someone.

-Wiki
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dutch Uncle?

A Dutch uncle is an informal term for a person who issues frank, harsh, or severe comments and criticism to educate, encourage, or admonish someone.

-Wiki
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell us more about "I may have my issues."

Dutch Uncle?

-Wiki

Dutch oven

The act of throwing out a vicious, obnoxious fart in bed and then holding the head of a loved one underneath the sheets, either until they pass out or better still vomit.

I knew that I had left a skiddie in my pants as I curved out a stinkfart. I then asked my wife to check under the covers to see whether there was a spider. She was immediately overcome by the repugnant gas that was down there and try as she might, she couldn't fight as my hands held her head in place. When she came up eventually, she remarked that she felt nauseous and that I had indeed shit my pants in the process. Nice!

-Urban Dictionary

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now I may have my issues but my work ethic has never been a problem.  
I was just informed that because I tell my coworkers what needs to be done in the absence of our supervisor they have complained.  Told me I do good work but to be more subtle and treat them as my family.
So is coddling something you guys do at work?
View Quote

Demand a promotion and a raise?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Ahhhh yes ... another wannabee manager.

Nobody realizes just how important you are.

But GD will surely acknowledge what your coworkers will not.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not their boss....that's the problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#20]
you know who the leader is..

the person who doesn't have to threaten people.
they just listen to him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Businesses love people like you. They get a free manager nd the employees hate you instead of the real boss. You're doing this to yourself
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you need to send this list through the channel.

Give it to your supervisor and tell him/her that your team hasn't done the tasks required for you to complete your work.  Let your supervisor be the one to crack the whip.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]
There's always that one guy. You seem to be him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Businesses love people like you. They get a free manager nd the employees hate you instead of the real boss. You're doing this to yourself
View Quote

You are 100% correct.

One very good mechanic where I worked was the go to guy when his peers needed help and yes he was more than a bit bossy.

He kept getting turned down time after time for supervisor and was complaining about it to me one evening.

I told him "well it's your own damn fault, they are getting a free supervisor/trouble shooter out of you now so why would they promote you?"

It must have not been the first time he had heard it and he started just doing his job and leaving others to their own devices.....He was promoted two years later to ride herd on them for real.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#27]
We have many slackers where I am at, if there isn't a supervisor standing there they will do there best to do nothing at all, if one comes around they try to look busy and as soon as they leave they are back to there SOP, my advice is don't concern yourself with it to much and stress yourself out, those people are how they are and you trying to ride shotgun over them wont change things.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#28]
It is very hard to believe that the staff of the Home Depot lumber department aren't top shelf, johnny-hustle, type-A, goal-driven soldiers like the OP expects them to be.

I mean, fuck, that's shocking....I'd figure a prestige job like that making the big bucks would really draw in the talent.

Guess not.

Good thing Sgt. Carter is there to whip them into shape, while not being paid to. He's enjoying himself, and making a name for himself with upper management, so I guess he's got that going for him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Better yet, go tell your boss that HE'S not doing HIS job of supervising your co-workers, and tell HIM how to supervise so you don't have to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Few things will piss off a coworker like someone who is not their boss trying to tell them what to do.

Do your job. If you feel your coworkers aren't doing theirs, tell your boss.

Better yet, go tell your boss that HE'S not doing HIS job of supervising your co-workers, and tell HIM how to supervise so you don't have to.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you know why your coworkers complain about you? Because they don't respect you.

I work with a bunch of guys that are my equal as far as position and pay are concerned. I will take direction or suggestions from those who I recognize have more experience and maturity. Those that don't get ignored, and told to get properly fucked if they insist.

Sounds like you're "that guy". You may get that management position one day, but rest assured, if you rely on your position title alone, you will sink. Your workers will not be motivated to do anything more than the bare minimum, and maybe some will go out of their way to sabotage you.

If you're a hard and steadfast worker who goes above and beyond what is asked of you, your efforts will be recognized, and you will advance. No need to play boss-man when you aren't. Best to STFU and do your job. Let the others sink if they won't do theirs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#31]
OP te best leaders don't need to go around huffing and puffing about what they do and others don't.  How long have you worked there compared to the others?  I feel like you're the newer guy busy body and severely pissing them off.

Unless you sign my paychecks, stfu. If I have a problem my supervisor will inform me, not some self appointed manager.

Calm down OP, the world is not going to burn if the stacks of 2x4s aren't straight or a bag of quickrete busts open.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, is HD's profit sharing going to make you wealthy?

Save your effort, and the health you're wasting, for an endeavor that is worth it.

oh, and quit being such a suckass strawboss
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]
So STFU and take notes when you cannot do your job when your coworkers do not do theirs. That way when the boss comes asking why you aren't getting your stuff done you can show him why.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Slow your roll , Porter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HMMMMM, I see a trend here.  It's always other people who are wrong.  GOT IT!  OP keep going, you are definitely winning friends and influencing people, both here and on the job.  Hey while we are at it, how is your personal life?  Got any cra cra girlfriends, late on child support, being hounded by debt collectors?  Come on tell us more.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Ah, the old high school job, good times, good times...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HMMMMM, I see a trend here.  It's always other people who are wrong.  GOT IT!  OP keep going, you are definitely winning friends and influencing people, both here and on the job.  Hey while we are at it, how is your personal life?  Got any cra cra girlfriends, late on child support, being hounded by debt collectors?  Come on tell us more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems you have missed a lot of his threads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Be subtle...

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely this is a first for me.  Link me up or Cliffs notes, anything I am dying.  This guy, I would swear, is a guy I work with, hence the questions and suggestions about his personal life.  I gotta know.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of us.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Absolutely this is a first for me.  Link me up or Cliffs notes, anything I am dying.  This guy, I would swear, is a guy I work with, hence the questions and suggestions about his personal life.  I gotta know.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just remember the asian chick thread and the suicide threat thread.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Ok I do remember seeing one rediculous thread about .380 in a 1911 and how stupid it was.  I remember thinking troll thread, or extremely unknowledgeable gun person thread.  

I just now connected the dots.

EDIT:  Wrong dots connected.  Hammermill as pointed out below.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah your and others perception is wrong. I work hard and expect others to also.  I am now working at Home Depot in lumber.  Why am I no longer at Lowes?  I already answered that.  Why did I not go back to Lowes ?  Because Home depot has success sharing.  Meaning all employees get a bonus check if the store hits its numbers.  Also the benefits are better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah your and others perception is wrong. I work hard and expect others to also.  I am now working at Home Depot in lumber.  Why am I no longer at Lowes?  I already answered that.  Why did I not go back to Lowes ?  Because Home depot has success sharing.  Meaning all employees get a bonus check if the store hits its numbers.  Also the benefits are better.

Oh really?  Tell you what Skippy, when you start paying my salary you can expect the living Hell out of me.  Until then you can take your expectations and shove them up your ever loving ass.  I don't work for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ok I do remember seeing one rediculous thread about .380 in a 1911 and how stupid it was.  I remember thinking troll thread, or extremely unknowledgeable gun person thread.  

I just now connected the dots.  
View Quote

That was a hammermill thread.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Some people just don't know how to ask themselves, "is it good for the company?"
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them. Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them. Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.

Except you're NOT the supervisor and no one apparently has told your coworkers they need to listen to you. You are perceived by them to be out of line. Unless they're told differently you will only be resented and ignored.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Is today the day you're going to fix Home Depot?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah The assistant store manager who was in on the meeting said "we know you want to be management so lets work to get it done but in the mean time you need to just be subtle".  

Fuck that.  I was not " subtle"  when I got a management position at lowes home improvement.  Being subtle would not have gotten me that position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're management material there, son.  They just don't recognize it.

-p.

Yeah The assistant store manager who was in on the meeting said "we know you want to be management so lets work to get it done but in the mean time you need to just be subtle".  

Fuck that.  I was not " subtle"  when I got a management position at lowes home improvement.  Being subtle would not have gotten me that position.

If the managers want you to tone it down, tone it the fuck down.

Those are the people who can promote you and / or increase your pay. They can also fire you when they decide you're a pain in the ass.

Ignore their advice at your peril.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#50]
       Does anybody here think this is for real?  Or do yall think he sits at home on a bean bag eating cheetos in a wife beater and boxers just laughing and fapping?  I am almost sure it is the latter.  What we need is a poll to bad its his thread.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top