Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nuke field is miserable, btw.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I scored high 90s on the ASVAB with little effort. Got a 6465 MOS for it and I'll be the first to tell ya my intelligence is questionable at best most days.
View Quote
Meterology/Oceanography?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nuke field is miserable, btw.
View Quote
Minus the $60k srb.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, they don’t show up at your front door when you score high enough to work motorpool.

High 90’s isn’t all that common for the ASVAB.

Scoring high gives you far more opportunities in the military.

However, fuck him, he’s a liar.
View Quote
They absolutely show up at your door if you are dumb as fuck and they have a bravo slot available AND mission ain’t made yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If she really did, yes it's unusual. What was the AQFT score?

People are calling BS but have no idea what her score is lol
View Quote
There are “clusters” in the AFQT and one of them is high scorers, there are quite a few 95+ AFQT scores.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meterology/Oceanography?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I scored high 90s on the ASVAB with little effort. Got a 6465 MOS for it and I'll be the first to tell ya my intelligence is questionable at best most days.
Meterology/Oceanography?  
Signup for the Big Band, or sit in the Grand Stand

ALESTORM - In The Navy (DVD Teaser) | Napalm Records
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It’s 4 years.....not a career.  See the world, get over $100k for college, plus full health care and $500k in life insurance. Yeah, that sounds miserable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want her to be miserable, by all means, send her through the nuke program. Who doesn't want to be on a carrier, amirite? Then she'll be a licensed reactor operator and can work anywhere there's a nuclear power plant. Now google map all of the nuke plants in the US, and see if she'd want to live any of those places. The fun thing about nukes is that even on their shore duty rotations, they still do nuke shit. They very rarely get a break from it.

I work in IT, and know a ton of former nukes. If she didn't already have college going for her, then Navy nuke or Navy IT programs are fine. I did advanced electronics field, got out, earned a degree by going to night school for 7 years. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd have figured out a way to do college first.

Stay in college. She can always serve later.
It’s 4 years.....not a career.  See the world, get over $100k for college, plus full health care and $500k in life insurance. Yeah, that sounds miserable
Nuke is 6 years active at a minimum plus inactive reserve time. 3/4 of the Earth is covered by water. That's the rightful domain of carriers and submarines, which are the only nukes we have these days. Subs spend a shitload of time at sea, and are limited in places they can pull in for liberty.

I did 6 1/2 years. 1.5 years in training and 5 years on sea duty. I had a good time going to sea and traveling to Europe, Asia, Australia. Even went to the Bahamas, Mexico and Canada. I worked out of Hawaii for ~6 months. Guam was beautiful. Walking the streets of Pompeii and through the ruins of the Acropolis was amazing. Palma de Mallorca... wow. Many, many fond memories. I also remember the shitty times too, and there were plenty of those. Gotta take the good with the bad. My point is if she has a way to go to college now. Don't stop. Git 'r dun. If she was like me, and didn't have that opportunity, then go nuke, but do research and talk to some people who did it.

The people I know who were nukes hated it. Obviously some folks like/tolerate it enough to make it a career. Just don't get blinded by the money. There are other ways to chase a dollar.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Navy needs Nukes....she is smart and meets the criteria. If she wants a $60k SRB and school payed for, you could do a lot worse than a 5 year tour in the Worlds finest Navy
View Quote
Except I’ve heard that enlisted sailors in the sea-going Navy get treated like shit the past few years with too small crews and a too small fleet causing massive burnout.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nuke is 6 years active at a minimum plus inactive reserve time. 3/4 of the Earth is covered by water. That's the rightful domain of carriers and submarines, which are the only nukes we have these days. Subs spend a shitload of time at sea, and are limited in places they can pull in for liberty.

I did 6 1/2 years. 1.5 years in training and 5 years on sea duty. I had a good time going to sea and traveling to Europe, Asia, Australia. Even went to the Bahamas, Mexico and Canada. I worked out of Hawaii for ~6 months. Guam was beautiful. Walking the streets of Pompeii and through the ruins of the Acropolis was amazing. Palma de Mallorca... wow. Many, many fond memories. I also remember the shitty times too, and there were plenty of those. Gotta take the good with the bad. My point is if she has a way to go to college now. Don't stop. Git 'r dun. If she was like me, and didn't have that opportunity, then go nuke, but do research and talk to some people who did it.

The people I know who were nukes hated it. Obviously some folks like/tolerate it enough to make it a career. Just don't get blinded by the money. There are other ways to chase a dollar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want her to be miserable, by all means, send her through the nuke program. Who doesn't want to be on a carrier, amirite? Then she'll be a licensed reactor operator and can work anywhere there's a nuclear power plant. Now google map all of the nuke plants in the US, and see if she'd want to live any of those places. The fun thing about nukes is that even on their shore duty rotations, they still do nuke shit. They very rarely get a break from it.

I work in IT, and know a ton of former nukes. If she didn't already have college going for her, then Navy nuke or Navy IT programs are fine. I did advanced electronics field, got out, earned a degree by going to night school for 7 years. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd have figured out a way to do college first.

Stay in college. She can always serve later.

OP's college daughter should go NUPOC and finish school with her degree  if she is inclined to chase the nuke thing
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What about ROTC if she wants to serve?
View Quote
This, get college paid for.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need ROTC to get college paid for.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Recruiters lie.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you collect Chiefs pay in college if you go NUPOC before you get commissioned?

And a female nuke NUPOC will get the recruiter Sailor of the Quarter for checking so many blocks
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She just graduated high school last year and is in her first year of college. The recruiter told my wife that my daughter almost aced the ASFAB which they said was "unusual". So the question is, is it unusual? Or are they feeding us a line of BS? I was never in the service, but I have heard the recruiter stories of promising more than what will happen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Except OP asked if almost acing the ASVAB is unusual, not if she should enlist

FWIW, my 19 year olds are dropping out after their first year of college to enlist in the Coast Guard. I could not be more proud of them. College isn't always the best decision, especially for someone who is otherwise a bit aimless.
View Quote
I think for many utes, a single enlistment before college is a great idea.  Pick a cool job you like, maybe infantry, do your four years, have some adventures, learn some things, come out with Post 9-11 GI Bill and an Honorable Discharge that carries benefits and preferences for the rest of your life.

Then go kick college’s ass.

What I wouldn’t recommend, anymore, is a full-career, enlisted or officer.  Shit, maybe especially not officer, those poor bastards work themselves to death for no good reason...  “Next Slide!”
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Recruiter
View Quote
I’d never tell anyone that recruiters lie. I’d just say verify anything they say.
I was home early one day and answered a ring at the door, only to find a Marine recruiter looking for my underage daughter. I asked him, among other things, if it was SOP to visit underage females at home when their parents weren’t present.
He told me if there was a problem, we could work it out.
I told him her Marine Major uncle could work it out with him.
Never saw him again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What I wouldn’t recommend, anymore, is a full-career, enlisted or officer.  Shit, maybe especially not officer, those poor bastards work themselves to death for no good reason...  “Next Slide!”
View Quote
Everybody wants to be an officer, but nobody wants to put together no powerpoint presentations!

Seriously though...you may be on to something. I look longingly at my Marine's LCpl chevrons some days... "why does he keep staring me" I hear them say, then I am shook from my reverie and head back into the 4th straight hour of the future ops brief.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually, up until this point all of the answers have been on the same page.  STAY IN SCHOOL.  If she wants to serve she can easily joint ROTC or go OCS after graduation. however, DO NOT DROP  OUT OF UNIVERSITY TO ENLIST!
View Quote
Listen to the Doc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recruiters lie.
View Quote
This. I watched the sister of my ex gf get told that the only job she didn't qualify for was nuclear. This girl was about as dumb as a box of rocks and went to take the asvab stoned and showed up for meps stoned. She had to pay for her own way home when she failed her drug test.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Minus the $60k srb.....
View Quote
Not being in that environment... priceless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minus the $60k srb.....
Damn it’s almost like you know what you’re talking about or something
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I got your AFQT right here.

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s astonishing all the armchair civilians in here talking shit about the military and the call to serve your country....I guess we know who we can/can’t rely on in here when SHTF
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn it’s almost like you know what you’re talking about or something
View Quote
I was born on the crest of a wave, and rocked in the cradle of the deep.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't disagree at all! If they were in school to become an engineer/docs/science man/whatever then I would have discouraged it. They need this little adventure, and I'm stoked for them.
View Quote
Good on them and I wish them fair winds and following seas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One thing I've noticed in this thread is that everyone here aced the ASVAB.

I don't think I even knew what I scored.  I walked in the Marine recruiting office and told them I wanted to be infantry, like my dad and my granddad.  That was before my senior year in high school.

The next summer after graduation, I left for boot camp.  Almost 30 years later, I'm still proud of my service and happy with my choices.
View Quote
I don't remember what I scored either.  I went infantry too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everybody wants to be an officer, but nobody wants to put together no powerpoint presentations!

Seriously though...you may be on to something. I look longingly at my Marine's LCpl chevrons some days... "why does he keep staring me" I hear them say, then I am shook from my reverie and head back into the 4th straight hour of the future ops brief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I wouldn't recommend, anymore, is a full-career, enlisted or officer.  Shit, maybe especially not officer, those poor bastards work themselves to death for no good reason...  "Next Slide!"

Trade secret: You can automate the shit out of the creation of Powerpoint presentations.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Except OP asked if almost acing the ASVAB is unusual, not if she should enlist

FWIW, my 19 year olds are dropping out after their first year of college to enlist in the Coast Guard. I could not be more proud of them. College isn't always the best decision, especially for someone who is otherwise a bit aimless.
View Quote
I enlisted before I went to college. It was the best thing for me. Had I gone to college first, I would have dropped out after the first few semesters. And I scored in the 90 on the ASVAB.

Are they going rescue swimmer?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
If she has decent college-level math & language skills then it's not a huge surprise to rock the ASVAB.

Low-level college math helped me raise my score by 20 points.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Had I gone to college first, I would have dropped out after the first few semesters.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I enlisted before I went to college. It was the best thing for me. Had I gone to college first, I would have dropped out after the first few semesters. And I scored in the 90 on the ASVAB.

Are they going rescue swimmer?
View Quote
That is their goal, they're VERY comfortable in the water so I think they have a shot at it if that's what they decide to go for.

ETA- and same about college, enlisting first was the way to go for me, same with my oldest.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Trade secret: You can automate the shit out of the creation of Powerpoint presentations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I wouldn't recommend, anymore, is a full-career, enlisted or officer.  Shit, maybe especially not officer, those poor bastards work themselves to death for no good reason...  "Next Slide!"

You're speaking to a Marine remember
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#33]
BS line, SCREW the lame ass military!  She's doing the right thing, school then job!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had I gone to college first, I would have dropped out after the first few semesters.
Same here.
I got the “hey, how goes your first semester at college?” call too. Worked great!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I went straight in after high school.  Turned 18 at boot camp

My recruiter didn't lie to me, but the guy at MEPS told me that there was no opening for the field I wanted, and I didn't know any better so I took the first one he put in front of me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#36]
High scores are not unusual. I could have done anything i wanted.

Dont plan her life, let her.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BS line, SCREW the lame ass military!  She's doing the right thing, school then job!
View Quote
Oh man, that almost hurt my feelings.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Its their job so take it for what it is, but on a side note...

Navy is best!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I scored a 99 and the recruiters wouldn't leave me alone.  I was able to get into a Navy program that paid my tuition and books and I only did reserve time in return.  Even the Navy recruiters were still calling me 4 or 5 years into my enlistment, so if they have certain needs I can see someone showing up at your door.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
You obviously never worked with any Air Force officers, I knew more than couple that lived for that shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Eh, there's certainly worse paths to take. I did just 5 years in the Navy and got two GI Bills out of it, and with all the scholarships and grants I got during the college that I worked my ass off to get into, I had zero debt and a few thousand bucks in play money after graduating. None of that would've ever happened if I'd stayed in my shittyass dead end of a hometown.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, they don’t show up at your front door when you score high enough to work motorpool.

High 90’s isn’t all that common for the ASVAB.

Scoring high gives you far more opportunities in the military.

However, fuck him, he’s a liar.
View Quote
I got in the 90s. They pushed hard for me to go nuke but I went another direction. I knew I couldn’t do the coursework for it. Then blew my knee out and got a medical discharge.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#43]
First off, AFQT is a "factor" consisting mostly of math and English.
Second, AFQT is a percentile, not a percentage. A person that cut a 95 QT just outscored 94% of people that have taken the ASVAB.
It does not mean they "aced it". I have seen more that one 4 yr degree holder cut a score in the teens.
The other scores come into play for specific jobs.

Generally, if an applicant came in talking shit about what job they want, they were usually the ones that got disqualified for
ASVAB/drugs/criminal/dependent/medical issues. When I recruited (USN), I rarely discussed specific jobs. That is the classifier's job.
BTW, just because someone meets the requirements for a given job does not mean that job is available (manning).
If you as parent are listening when the recruiter talks to your kid, you better hear the phrase "provided you qualify" many times.
Amazing how many people never hear that part.

Recruiting was the absolute WORST job I had in my 20 years. The training was "sales", but I looked at the job as a screening process, so I just survived 3 years.
I only took the duty because that was the ONLY way off the west coast back then (early 90s).

I could tell some stories...
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I rarely discussed specific jobs. That is the classifier's job.
View Quote
That's the term I couldn't remember.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Go eat some crayons and draw some dick pics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Navy recruiters are stupid. I missed 2 questions on the ASVAB and I had Navy recruiters still calling me when I was already an NCO in the Marines Corps.
View Quote
You do know that the list that is generated does not indicate that you already enlisted correct?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an officer, I put dick pics on powerpoint.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm an officer, I put dick pics on powerpoint.
View Quote
Incognito I hope.

Unless you’re flying.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can't automate the content.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Plenty of cool equipment to work on in the Navy, if she is technically minded. Saw the world back in the 80’s ,on a broken down DDG that pulled into port once a week for repairs. Lots of great memories! That said if she was my daughter, stay in school!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top