Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2023 9:16:38 AM EDT
I had my truck parked in a parking lot of a shopping center. Went into the store to grab some stuff and came out and found someone backed into it and it has a large dent in the right fender and headlight bezel is broken.

Nobody saw anything and the store wouldn’t show me any video footage. So, if I file a claim with my insurance will my rates go up? I have zero accidents and have never filed a claim with these guys. I have had progressive over 10 years.

If it counts against me, I will just suck it up and live with the damage, but I would rather not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What did they say when you called your insurance?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happened to me a few months ago.  I just paid a local paintless dent repair guy to fix it as best he could.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You may have accident forgiveness with Progressive since you've been with them for 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did they say when you called your insurance?
View Quote

I haven’t told them yet
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Text your insurance agent?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Dealing with this right now. Two months ago a woman backed into me while in a doctors office. I finally got my truck in the shop last Monday. Allstate is her insurance company and it has been a nightmare.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't told them yet
View Quote
If the repair is less than your deductible, don't call them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
how much is your collision deductible ?  do you even have collision coverage ?

for instance -- if your deductible is $750 or $1,000  -- it may not make sense to file a claim.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
If the truck was parked it comes under your comprehensive policy. This could be independent of your policy risk factor affecting your rates depending on the state you are insured in.

If it is enough money and work load is low for the insurance company’s fraud investigators, they might run down the responsible party.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]
In most cases, they won't raise your premium for a no-fault hit and run.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Our vehicles have been hit many times parked in parking lots and used our insurance to get them fixed. Never raised the rates.

1- it’s not considered a motor vehicle accident when it’s parked.

2- you’re not at fault.

GEICO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Parking lots suck if you care about your vehicle.

Even if someone dents your car opening their door that can cost alot to fix and in most cases people look around and walk off.

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dealing with this right now. Two months ago a woman backed into me while in a doctors office. I finally got my truck in the shop last Monday. Allstate is her insurance company and it has been a nightmare.
View Quote

Use your own insurance and let them deal with Allstate.  That’s why you pay them thousands of dollars in premiums.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe get a quote first then decide if it warrants getting your insurance involved.  

If you just call and mention this they are going to indicate it on your account whether or not you file a claim.  Best not to even say anything unless you are making a claim.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Call the Police, it's an evading accident. They will review the tapes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
go to your county courthouse and file a suit for damages against whoever owns the parking lot/security cameras, then subpoena your evidence

Yeah, it cost me $75 in Tulsa County, I had the summons and order served by one of my own employees. But it wiped those smarmy fucking smirks off the faces of the people at QuikTrip who told me "we don't give out security footage" when they were given a court order to hand over the video

you can always request the suit be dismissed later
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol, sure
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never had a lot of luck with that in metro areas, ymmv of course

prolly have more luck with a writ of mandamus (Latin for, "get off your ass and do your fucking job, public servant" )
never tried that one
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
You should have called the police so they can get the camera footage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If the truck was parked it comes under your comprehensive policy. This could be independent of your policy risk factor affecting your rates depending on the state you are insured in.

If it is enough money and work load is low for the insurance company’s fraud investigators, they might run down the responsible party.
View Quote

Wouldn't this come under the mandatory "uninsured driver" policy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just being devil's advocate - will the insurance company just take the policy holder's word that the vehicle was parked?

Hypothetical :  I got falling-down drunk last night and I sideswiped a parked car on the way home.  So I call my insurance company and say I got hit while it was parked in a parking lot?

I guess what I'm asking wouldn't you need something corroborating, like a police report?
View Quote
No. I had a total write off that was accepted by the insurance company. (Geico) No police report.

Around here they don't even want to send police out for a vehicle accident report unless there are injuries.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm at the point of embracing the 3rd world we are becoming. I have beater trucks with steel bumpers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Contact the carrier anyway. Get an estimate from someone you know. Let the adjuster give a number and decide if insurance is worth it.

Merely alerting them to a claim does not affect your rate. The carrier actually paying something does. There is not certainty it would get raised anyway for a low dollar, no fault incident.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]
double.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#28]
It was filed as an “uninsured motorist” when it happened to me. Rates did not go up (Florida).
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#29]
That's why I always park away from the pack especially if I have to go to WalMart, Rural King or Dollar General. I've seen too many kids just fling car doors open and ding cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#30]
My truck was side swiped at Lowes

Had to call my insurance company to get the video

It turned out it was one of the workers that did it delivering something
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's why I always park away from the pack especially if I have to go to WalMart, Rural King or Dollar General. I've seen too many kids just fling car doors open and ding cars.
View Quote
About 8 years ago at a local Wally World someone backed into my car while I was inside shopping.

Told Wal-Mart, they won't show me the video footage.  I called the police and they investigated.  All I knew was it was a Tahoe.  Thanks.

I ended up paying out of pocket for the repairs to my car.  Three years later a drunk driver with no insurance rear ended me and that entire section of the car had to be fixed again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Years ago I had State Farm as my insurance carrier.

I had a windshield that got cracked and I went to submit a claim under my comprehensive clause.

My agent warned me he was losing some clients when they filed similar claims.

State Farm was looking at not only claims, but credit score and other factors.

I found a company that would replace my windshield for about $225 and I paid out of pocket.

I then dropped State Farm when they tried to jack up my premium by 25% when it came time to renew.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If the truck was parked it comes under your comprehensive policy. ....
View Quote

this is incorrect

it would be Collision

Collision coverage

Collision coverage helps pay to repair your vehicle if you hit another car (or another vehicle hits your car), regardless of fault. So if you're the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to make a claim on your own car insurance policy whether the other driver is found or not.

Collision coverage has a deductible, which is the amount you'll pay out of pocket toward a covered claim. You pay your deductible even if the accident wasn't your fault. If the at-fault driver is identified and has insurance, you may be able to recover your deductible from that driver's insurance.

----------------------

Collision coverage: Collision coverage could repair the damages to your vehicle caused by a hit-and-run. It’s important to note that you’ll have to pay your deductible to use this coverage if the other driver isn’t found. If the police find the hit-and-run driver after the fact, however, your insurance company may be able to recover your deductible through subrogation.

-------------------------
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Insurance is a .gov mandated scam.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Text your insurance agent?
View Quote

I don’t who it is or have them on speed dial like you do I guess
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Maybe get a quote first then decide if it warrants getting your insurance involved.  

If you just call and mention this they are going to indicate it on your account whether or not you file a claim.  Best not to even say anything unless you are making a claim.
View Quote

This is the route I will go
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
go to your county courthouse and file a suit for damages against whoever owns the parking lot/security cameras, then subpoena your evidence

Yeah, it cost me $75 in Tulsa County, I had the summons and order served by one of my own employees. But it wiped those smarmy fucking smirks off the faces of the people at QuikTrip who told me "we don't give out security footage" when they were given a court order to hand over the video

you can always request the suit be dismissed later
View Quote

Also this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is the route I will go
View Quote

yes -- can't hurt to get a quote then see how that compares to your deductible

regardless of what anyone says -- the insurance company COULD raise your rates -- they do it all the time for any number of justifications

really just depends on a lot of factors -- one of them being your current personal financial situation ...
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#39]
GEICO is a shit insurance company.

One of their insured hit my parked truck. Police report done, she admitted everything to the trooper, and GEICO is shitting on me refusing to pay for the repair.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Also this.
View Quote

I am not going to willingly invite and involve the man and the system in my life. Hard pass.

I will see what the paint less dent guy can do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Had this happen a few months ago.
Truck parked at work, and a damned garbage truck backed into it, crunching the rr corner of the bed.
Fortunately a coworker saw it and stopped him.
Worker called his boss, he shows up and says he doesn't want to get insurance involved. Says take it wherever you want and get quote, he'll cut a check for the full amount.
Of course I go to the most expensive place in town, they quote me just under 11k, take quote to boss man, and he writes the check on the spot.
I just beat the dent out a little and put the money in the bank.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just being devil's advocate - will the insurance company just take the policy holder's word that the vehicle was parked?

Hypothetical :  I got falling-down drunk last night and I sideswiped a parked car on the way home.  So I call my insurance company and say I got hit while it was parked in a parking lot?

I guess what I'm asking wouldn't you need something corroborating, like a police report?
View Quote

Depending on the circumstances, they will assign a fraud investigator to try to determine what happened.  They will look at your cellular phone recorders to determine if your vehicle was even in the parking lot, review your social media, and review the store’s video if it even exists.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

this is incorrect

it would be Collision

Collision coverage

Collision coverage helps pay to repair your vehicle if you hit another car (or another vehicle hits your car), regardless of fault. So if you're the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to make a claim on your own car insurance policy whether the other driver is found or not.

Collision coverage has a deductible, which is the amount you'll pay out of pocket toward a covered claim. You pay your deductible even if the accident wasn't your fault. If the at-fault driver is identified and has insurance, you may be able to recover your deductible from that driver's insurance.

----------------------

Collision coverage: Collision coverage could repair the damages to your vehicle caused by a hit-and-run. It’s important to note that you’ll have to pay your deductible to use this coverage if the other driver isn’t found. If the police find the hit-and-run driver after the fact, however, your insurance company may be able to recover your deductible through subrogation.

-------------------------
View Quote

It depends on the individual state insurance laws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Depending on the circumstances, they will assign a fraud investigator to try to determine what happened.  They will look at your cellular phone recorders to determine if your vehicle was even in the parking lot, review your social media, and review the store’s video if it even exists.
View Quote

What social media? This place is it
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Sucks. I watched it happen to mine as I was sitting in the store, and watched the guy promptly drive off too. Had no plates on his truck because why would he?

I needed a new fender and front bumper. Luckily my rates didn't go up after that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Truck parked at work, and a damned garbage truck backed into it, crunching the rr corner of the bed.
Worker called his boss, he shows up and says he doesn't want to get insurance involved. Says take it wherever you want and get quote, he'll cut a check for the full amount.
Of course I go to the most expensive place in town, they quote me just under 11k, take quote to boss man, and he writes the check on the spot.
View Quote

What will you say to Jesus when you die?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What social media? This place is it
View Quote

You wouldn’t believe what the mental giants post on Facebook and such.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

You can see where he backed in to the fender, was like oh crap, and left. It must have been another truck because it is up pretty high.

It is exact height of something sticking out of a truck bed would be
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About what?

His worker backed into my truck and paid for the damages. I chose to keep the money instead of the repair.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Fuckjng savages.

I want to cut 5” dia steel pipe in half with barbed ridges every 1/2 inch and mount as door ding protectors on my vehicle.

Fuck the fuckers.  Turn it around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top