[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t have that problem

18Z50....
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Greatest privilege was to serve...

If you didn't and regret it, that's on you.
Suck it up and move on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad baby yoda brought up this subject. It's something I've kept secret for years, buried deep inside. ARFCOM is better than group therapy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Laughs in DD214’s....
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see a big difference in perception, thinking and definiteness from those who were in the military or not. This includes my kids. IMO kids should be made to undergo a "boot camp" for a period of time whether they join .mil or not. "Tough'n the Fuck Up, slime balls" gives a certain and fundamental, foundational, focus to your life. Much different than what mommy has given you.
View Quote

there is a peace of mind that comes from knowing what it's like to be in a real suck. I'm a school teacher now, and every few weeks I have to go spend the first 20 min of the day outside watching the kids arrive. Morning duty we call it. I hear other teachers bitch about it, especially when it's hot or cold, and I think back to watching the road to Panmunjom for hours at a time from a frozen bunker. Or, having to sleep in the back of a five ton filled with concertina wire. Or, walking for days on end with an M60 balancing your rucksack. I have dozens of stories about the suck, and now they are all happy stories, because to truly know what sucking is, is like knowing the secret to happiness.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, well, I was going to enlist but I don't tolerate people getting in my face and yelling at me. Any asshole tries that shit with me and I'd kick their ass.

Plus, I had to take care of my truck driving mother who has bad knees.
View Quote
Found one

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found one

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, well, I was going to enlist but I don't tolerate people getting in my face and yelling at me. Any asshole tries that shit with me and I'd kick their ass.

Found one

You do know that the "truck driving mother with bad knees" is a copypasta....
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
No regrets !

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for your regret.
View Quote

Made me spit coffee on my IPad damnit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do not. I would have been a shitty soldier.
View Quote

Me too. I don't take orders well and I'm not a team player. That's why I've always been self employed. Just my nature.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Found one

View Quote

I love the smell of callout desperation in the morning
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Me too. I don't take orders well and I'm not a team player. That's why I've always been self employed. Just my nature.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not. I would have been a shitty soldier.

The traits that make a good Soldier are the same ones that make a good person.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I joined the Army in my mid 20’s. Had a bullshit BA degree and a dead end job, no sense of direction.  Laugh, but the Army gave me direction and steered me into my current field and I do pretty well. Best decision I made, in hindsight, was enlisting.

Regret not staying in and doing more.  I work for the VA now so I still feel a sense of service to my country.

OP, work or volunteer with veterans, that might satisfy the longing you have, idk
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried but they weren't having me due to asthma. The Vietnam war had ended about a year earlier and they were being super picky who they accepted. A recruiter told me "If you applied 2 years earlier we were taking anyone who could fog a mirror". I regretted it for a few years, even trying again in my early 20's hoping that once the Vietnam war was a few years in the past they'd accept me, but there was no getting past the asthma issue and it was hard to hide as it was all over my medical records since age 9 or 10. It made Mom happy, Dad sad and my older Brother said "Consider yourself lucky".
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
At 23 I had regretted not joining at age 17 or 18.  Then one weekend home from college sleeping late I get a random call from a Air National Guard recruiter when they were on a drill weekend.  He invited me to come see what they were about.  I signed up and took a year off from college.  After basic went to Fort Lennardwood for heavy equipment training.  I did nine years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At 23 I had regretted not joining at age 17 or 18.  Then one weekend home from college sleeping late I get a random call from a Air National Guard recruiter when they were on a drill weekend.  He invited me to come see what they were about.  I signed up and took a year off from college.  After basic went to Fort Lennardwood for heavy equipment training.  I did nine years.
View Quote

Did you have to do anything that was hard?. Marines and Army Soldiers want to know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
21 years and counting.

Been some of the best experiences I could ever dream about. Some of the worst. Banged hot women all over the world. Dropped a lot of bombs, had a lot of great flights and plenty of shitty ones. Worked for the best people and the worst,

No regrets although I’m ready to move on. I have realized that the military cares more about what the force looks like over how it fights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well at least you never tried. I did and got permanently disqualified over that fucking hearing test. Still can't get over it.
View Quote

same. I feel your pain, because according to the gov't, I can't hear it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The military is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 15. If it wasn’t for that I would have joined after high school.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I enlisted at 28, went to boot at 29, and was taking fire in Afghanistan at 31 leaving behind a wife, a 4 year old, and a lucrative defense contractor gig purely because I didn’t want such regrets.

Best thing I ever coulda done.  Im glad anyone saying “I’m too independent/ woulda punched out my di for yelling at me blablabla” didn’t join; that’s basically the last person on earth I’d want to go into a firefight with.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I wish I could have done 20 years  I ended up doing 40 primarily due to being stop lossed for the last 10 due to the need for 18Z's.
I did get to see the face of totalitarianism and communism on three major land masses. I worked with great people as well as some complete idiots.
It's not for everybody, but it is up to each of us to justify to ourselves in the middle of the night, the life we lived versus the life we wished we had lived.

Me...the draft going in and stop loss trying to retire made those decisions for me.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#25]
To those who did not serve in the Military:
Did you get a job?
A Career?
Are you married?
Do you have children?
Do you love your family?
Do you pay taxes?
Do you respect the American flag and what it stands for?

If you answered yes to these questions then as a (retired) American serviceman I thank you for being an outstanding American!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, if I had gone active-duty I could have retired a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Never saw a porto john on any airbase I was at.  On the other hand, the Army reserves couldn't operate without porto johns.  I still have nightmares about those porto johns.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#28]
No worries, you still have the potential to be an amazing armchair general for the gun community.

Honestly.. My only regret is I never got a chance to do any high speed scout shit on a dirt bike
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#29]
No worries here, the draft signup stopped a few weeks before my 18th BDay in '76.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#30]
That meme is on point OP
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I almost joined The Army when my ex dumped me and I lost everything. Still wished I did, even just for a couple of years. Nowadays I walk around with military uniform and get free donuts and chicks smile at me. All without serving a day.
IM KIDDING IM KIDDING!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Another one of these threads. I wouldn't change my service for anything. I wouldn't enlist today for anything.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I have no regerts, other than my right ear rings all the time, lower back is shot and everything cracks in the am. My father turned down a commission to West point after his brother was killed in 'Nam. He never told me until we were walking amongst the cannons at West Point. He also told me why he wouldn't support my application to the Air Force academy, so God's misguided children got one more when I was on my own. Best years of my life, make of life what you can.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Familiar
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I did special ops stuff in a very short time period (couple of years) and got out.  Super proud I did it but I wouldn't push anyone to do it today unless they were going for NSW or similar.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Familiar
View Quote

Obvious sarcasm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The OP's meme was probably made by a faggot that never served.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD no too tall jokes? OP you got off light. there's always the national guard.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#39]
GD that served: don’t beat yourself up it’s not for everyone.

GD that didn’t serve: fuckin pussy
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#40]
My first back injury (multiple dick rupture) was before I turned 18, I would probably be in a wheel chair now if I had served.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
GD that served: don't beat yourself up it's not for everyone.

GD that didn't serve: fuckin pussy
View Quote

You seem surprised
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Some of the best and worst experiences of my life. I did ALOT of cool shit that I could not have done anywhere else, and on the flip side seen ALOT of shit that people shouldn't have to see.

Every morning I wake up feeling like I'm 65 years old (I'm 37) but I don't regret it for a minute. It was worth it.

But as far as those who regret not doing it...live your best life and be a good person, the military isn't for everyone and if you didn't do it for one reason or another, don't let it eat you up.

As far as those lone wolf, fuck being a team player and I'm a solitary badass, the military thanks you for not joining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Didn’t serve. My father a ww2 combat vet talked me out of it as I graduated after the Vietnam war. He felt America didn’t deserve a military after the way the vets were treated. I have no regrets except for the brotherhood you all share. I also respect your decision and support you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I had 2 1/2 years of ROTC in college (had to drop out as I could not incorporate the credit hours into my engineering curriculum). I sometimes wondered "what if" I had made changes necessary to continue on. I did like the structure the military provided as did some employers. The fast-and-loose type environments drive me nuts.

However, had I stayed in, I would have been in Desert Storm. Experimental vaccines, depleted uranium ordnance and host of other unknowns that caused Desert Storm Syndrome. Even now at 58 I would be willing to join up (if they'd take me) to defend our soil from invading forces (unless of course we have gone totally Marxist in which case I'll get a bag of popcorn and take a seat). But I became rather disillusioned at sending our people to foreign countries that basically hate us to fight their wars and then kick us out. Recall that Christmas occurred during Desert Storm and the troops were banned from the open practice of Christmas celebration in Saudi Arabia (they had to conduct services in secret). That in and of itself made me glad I was not there propping up SA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Almost did but dropped out before signing on the line due to what the recruiter told me.  

He flat out told me there was about a 100% chance I’d be culled during the medical exam due to my weight and underlying medical issues.  

I scored really well on the written exams. (Was applying for Navy OCS).
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wanted to join. Uncle Sam wouldn’t take me for medical reasons
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I used to.  

But I’ve spent a lot of time with the aftermath of the guys my age who were the first ones into Iraq, then Afghanistan.  

You gotta want it for personal reasons because there’s really no other good reason.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Regrets are pointless. Those decisions were made and can't be undone.

Besides, I've never ran into anyone that's been in the military that looks down on someone simply because they didn't serve. "Well, I woulda but" or "Man, I coulda" is a different story though.

Quoted:
My first back injury (multiple dick rupture) was before I turned 18, I would probably be in a wheel chair now if I had served.
View Quote

That sounds serious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I regret a lot of shit but joining the Military is not one of them.

I had a father, who I worked for, that was great at chewing your ass out but he had a goal and he was successful. He pushed one into being an honest hard working man.

I knew there was no way I could take shit like that from a football coach or do stupid senseless stuff like the military.  

I missed registration by one month and Vietnam fell when I was 16.  So after that clusterfuck no one was really wanting to join Carters peacetime Military.

I appreciate those that did serve but i knew it was not for me.  

Also i do not blame Vietnam on our troops.  I blame the government not fighting to win and i blame the communist news media that used every battle and every death to turn the American people against that war.  The Tet offensive being just one where we dominated the enemy but we came out losers in the press.

Our news media has been in the commie pocket going back even in WW2

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
to this day when i smell turds i  get hard
View Quote

Page / 4
Top Top