Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/25/2024 12:44:19 PM EDT
Posted over in the 1911 section but figured GD would have a field day with this.

Casing + primer + cocked + locked + drop = BANG!

XC is marketed as Duty & Competition.

Attachment Attached File

Staccato XC fails drop test

YouTube Shorts:

https://youtube.com/shorts/eT1tlBR1W-w?si=g2pvGRCclkf4edmp

Instagram Reels:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7XIlmNOCwi/

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
But that 1.5lbs trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
So it's just as safe as an ar15.........

The ar15 can go bang just dropping the bolt on a loaded round.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Have you ever ah... Used an AR15 before?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Muh overpriced, boutique pistol!

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif

View Quote

Yea and I've had a factory ar15 go bang when dropping the bolt on factory ammo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot four different Stacattos. Two were local police duty guns. The two non duty guns jammed. Both jammed Stacattos had few rounds through them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
In this thread we learn how few people know that the ar15 has a floating firing pin and have probably thrown away chambered ammo thinking it was a dud because of a dimpled primer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Series 70 1911 actions are not drop safe. This is why colt and kimber went to the series 80 (though I don’t personally believe it necessary).

So, technically a multitude of 1911 pattern guns would probably not pass a drop test. Hilton Yam of 10-8 performance did a test a while back on this, and IIRC even the titanium firing pin guns (which is usually the suggested drop safe fix for series 70 1911s) went bang when dropped.

CZ Shadow 2s are also not drop safe, and neither are most shotguns.

ETA: I also believe a member here dropped his Nighthawk 1911 and had it go boom in a bathroom.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In this thread we learn how few people know that the ar15 has a floating firing pin and have probably thrown away chambered ammo thinking it was a dud because of a dimpled primer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a stuck firing pin, worlds softest primer or what? Cause that ain't supposed to happen.

You get little firing pin marks on the primers from the floating firing pin, but thats about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Series 70 1911 actions are not drop safe. This is why colt and kimber went to the series 80 (though I don’t personally believe it necessary).

So, technically a multitude of 1911 pattern guns would probably not pass a drop test. Hilton Yam of 10-8 performance did a test a while back on this, and IIRC even the titanium firing pin guns (which is usually the suggested drop safe fix for series 70 1911s) went bang when dropped.

ETA: I also believe a member here dropped his Nighthawk 1911 and had it go boom in a bathroom.
View Quote

But muh second sear shelf...
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I mean they’re a poors 2011. Get a good one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the hammer held so it is a firing pin / firing pin spring issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you imagine some dude in 1874 yammering about how dropping his SAA killed his horse?

"How dare they make something that goes bang when you drop it! Scooter should still be alive!"

... The other guy at the bar would have said something like "You're a fucking idiot" and faced the other direction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You have a stuck firing pin, worlds softest primer or what? Cause that ain't supposed to happen.

You get little firing pin marks on the primers from the floating firing pin, but thats about it.
View Quote

Same exact principle behind the 1911 being not drop safe and the reason for using special primers for AR platform.

It just takes the right set of circumstances to go bang.

I also know someone who was shooting wolf ammo. Had a loaded round get stuck in the chamber and when he performed a rack rack rack it went bang when the bolt dropped after a few racks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trigger weight has nothing to do with it, it was all the inertia of the firing pin. Simple fix, lighter weight firing pin, or stronger firing pin spring. I wonder if the thing was stock or had some after market or worn out springs.

This is what the series 80s stuff was supposed to fix, same with Kimber's system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Inertia can be a bitch sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is right if the primer is soft enough, why do you think milspec primers are harder. And some people recommend against using cci 400 primers in ar's.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reloading/comments/ich5yc/question_about_cci_400_small_rifle_primers_in_223/
@Blanco_Diablo
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to do a little research before taking such an aggressive stance.

Any idea why primers for ammo intended for the ar has very hard primers.

Ever hear of the member here named Crawford, iirc, who ATF charged with having a machine gun and part of their evidence was it doubling with ammo using very soft primers.

AR has a floating firing pin, no spring, no safety. Similar issue with M1 and M1a.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Trigger weight has nothing to do with it, it was all the inertia of the firing pin. Simple fix, lighter weight firing pin, or stronger firing pin spring. I wonder if the thing was stock or had some after market or worn out springs.

This is what the series 80s stuff was supposed to fix, same with Kimber's system.
View Quote

Ben reported playing around with recoil spring weights (going heavier) but all other components of the XC are stock/OEM.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kimber FPB design is vastly superior and simpler than the abomination Colt uses.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You might want to do a little research before taking such an aggressive stance.

Any idea why primers for ammo intended for the ar has very hard primers.

Ever hear of the member here named Crawford, iirc, who ATF charged with having a machine gun and part of their evidence was it doubling with ammo using very soft primers.

AR has a floating firing pin, no spring, no safety. Similar issue with M1 and M1a.
View Quote
Same issue with model 70 style 1911s.  It's why springer runs a titanium firing pin I think so they can pass the California drop test.

Aaannnnddd....beat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
So are all staccatos not drop safe or what
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The light pull can be a symptom of the light firing pin spring. Because to get those light pulls, the mainspring usually is reduced power and thereby necessitates a lighter FPS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me personally?  I don't carry guns that don't have firing pin safeties.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ben reported playing around with recoil spring weights (going heavier) but all other components of the XC are stock/OEM.
View Quote

That could have contributed some. A lighter recoil spring would allow some of the impact energy from hitting the ground start opening the slide. A heavier spring would cause less shock absorption. I don't know how much, but if it was just on the edge with a stock spring that extra couple % could make a difference. I would like to see it tested 10 times, with stock spring and heavier spring to see if it was a fluke.

But again we have known for 100 years that 1911s can do this. The good thing is its muzzle down impacts only.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That could have contributed some. A lighter recoil spring would allow some of the impact energy from hitting the ground start opening the slide. A heavier spring would cause less shock absorption. I don't know how much, but if it was just on the edge with a stock spring that extra couple % could make a difference. I would like to see it tested 10 times, with stock spring and heavier spring to see if it was a fluke.

But again we have known for 100 years that 1911s can do this. The good thing is its muzzle down impacts only.
View Quote

Recoil spring wouldn't change relationship of FP to breach face interaction.  Only how fast the frame would move forward (downward).
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't drop it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every 1911 up until 1980 had that "problem."

Know why it's not an issue? Because it only rears its head 90* muzzle down. This means there is a loud bang and the muzzle of your gun gets fuxord. That's about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't Staccatos have 70 series internals, or do they have a firing pin plunger? 70 series' have never been drop safe. The firing pin is not immobilized.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah old news, 1922 type pistols can go boom when dropped on the muzzle end anddischarge into the ground, not optimal but very low on the danger scale (unless you are wearing crocs).
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't Staccatos have 70 series internals, or do they have a firing pin plunger? 70 series' have never been drop safe. The firing pin is not immobilized.
View Quote

All of the 40 or so manufacturers of modern "2011" style pistols that I have researched are of the 70 series. That said, the vast majority are not marketed as duty firearms. They're designed for competition and/or range toys.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Roger from QVO tactical has an XC that was configured in a way similar to a P, little heavier trigger (4.5# standard P) and recoil spring, he claims Staccato will do that for you if you like.

I don't really get the hate people have for Staccato, I recently bought a P and a CS and I'm very happy with them, only a total of 800rds through both but I just bought them last month, zero issues at all. There are a ton of YT vids with people claiming to have thousands of trouble free rounds through theirs. Sure they're expensive but still on the low end for 2011s. For the first time in a long time, I've enjoyed shooting again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Roger from QVO tactical has an XC that was configured in a way similar to a P, little heavier trigger (4.5# standard P) and recoil spring, he claims Staccato will do that for you if you like.

I don't really get the hate people have for Staccato, I recently bought a P and a CS and I'm very happy with them, only a total of 800rds through both but I just bought them last month, zero issues at all. There are a ton of YT vids with people claiming to have thousands of trouble free rounds through theirs. Sure they're expensive but still on the low end for 2011s. For the first time in a long time, I've enjoyed shooting again.
View Quote

There's 2 types of people who hate on staccatos.

1. Those who are poor
2. Those who spent more money on a different brand of 2011 to flex on poors.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just one round? Weird.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Ben knows that 1911s can fire if dropped muzzle down. He's posting this specifically to stir up internet controversy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There's 2 types of people who hate on staccatos.

1. Those who are poor
2. Those who spent more money on a different brand of 2011 to flex on poors.
View Quote

I wish I could afford one...but am not part of the 87% on here who are multi-millionaires.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All of the 40 or so manufacturers of modern "2011" style pistols that I have researched are of the 70 series. That said, the vast majority are not marketed as duty firearms. They're designed for competition and/or range toys.
View Quote
That's kind of what I thought. All this duty/competition/carry stuff just seems to be marketing. Cops/people have been using 70 series 1911/2011 guns for duty/comp/carry for decades. As long as you're up on the manual of arms and understand they're not drop safe...press on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can you imagine some dude in 1874 yammering about how dropping his SAA killed his horse?

"How dare they make something that goes bang when you drop it! Scooter should still be alive!"

... The other guy at the bar would have said something like "You're a fucking idiot" and faced the other direction.
View Quote

The first recorded death in mount Rainier national Park was a guy dropping his revolver and it shot him in 1897.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
lol, I don’t care.

I love mine and I’d buy another one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#43]
It probably only goes bang when it lands muzzle down on a hard surface, so very unlikely to kill someone.  That said, I still wouldn't carry something without a firing pin/striker block.  I might be a too paranoid about it though. Hell, the extra protection you get from having a manual safety might outweigh the lack of having a 100% drop safe gun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Same
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

its a real thing.  the firing pin is free and moves under interia during loading process, meaning it can leave a light primer strike - chamber the same round over and over (like .mil when they make safe and make ready over and over) and eventually the metal fatigues and it will go bang.  or if you have a commercial primer and it's especially thin/weak or you chamber it over and over or the moon/stars align etc.  always point it in a safe direction when chambering a round.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The first recorded death in mount Rainier national Park was a guy dropping his revolver and it shot him in 1897.
View Quote

But did anyone get sued?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Has staccato lost a customer?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh no!  Anyway.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't drop it?
View Quote

Get out of here with that sense-making crap, Pal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I refuse to carry guns that aren't drop safe.  Here's 2 of my favorites:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top