BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean they’re a poors 2011. Get a good one.
View Quote

It’s funny cuz it’s true.

I really need an Alchemy 2011.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

It used to be true. Not so much in 2024.

Entry level is now MAC/Tisas at under $1K.

Attachment Attached File

Next is SA Prodigy at $1200-1500.

Attachment Attached File

As a result, the $2600 Staccato jumps up a couple steps into "Glock of 2011s" territory.

Attachment Attached File

The fact that due to Staccato's marketing, everyone considers the P and XC as "Duty Grade" is where the drop safe thing is now becoming an issue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Roger from QVO tactical has an XC that was configured in a way similar to a P, little heavier trigger (4.5# standard P) and recoil spring, he claims Staccato will do that for you if you like.

I don't really get the hate people have for Staccato, I recently bought a P and a CS and I'm very happy with them, only a total of 800rds through both but I just bought them last month, zero issues at all. There are a ton of YT vids with people claiming to have thousands of trouble free rounds through theirs. Sure they're expensive but still on the low end for 2011s. For the first time in a long time, I've enjoyed shooting again.
View Quote

I thinks it’s just jealousy from the Palmetto State Armory Fan Club.

“I’d never buy a staccato, it isn’t drop safe”.

Proceeds to pull out a Tisas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But muh second sear shelf...
View Quote

Don’t understand how a floating firing pin works? Doesn’t involve the sear in any way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be theoretically possible for any hammer/sear pistol without a firing pin block to fire if you drop it on the hammer cocked or not.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It used to be true. Not so much in 2024. Staccato is now the "Glock" of 2011s. Entry level is now MAC/Tisas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It used to be true. Not so much in 2024. Staccato is now the "Glock" of 2011s. Entry level is now MAC/Tisas.

Yea I can see that. In a world of $500 duty guns it’s expensive. In today’s world of 2011’s it’s a middle income American.

Mines fantastic, I read the hate here and laugh.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don’t understand how a floating firing pin works? Doesn’t involve the sear is any way.
View Quote

I know that and you know that but the rest of the internet that didn't review the drop footage (with the hammer all the way back on the floor) doesn't know that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It used to be true. Not so much in 2024.

Entry level is now MAC/Tisas at under $1K.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20240303_231547255-EDIT__1__jpg-3223145.JPG

Next is SA Prodigy at $1200-1500.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20240328_134140934_jpg-3223146.JPG

As a result, the $2600 Staccato jumps up a couple steps into "Glock of 2011s" territory.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20240317_214108755__1__jpg-3223147.JPG

The fact that due to Staccato's marketing, everyone considers the P and XC as "Duty Grade" is where the drop safe thing is now becoming an issue.
View Quote

Staccato is a meme, but at least it’s a meme that functions reliably.

As for Ben’s posts:

You mean a pistol with a floating firing pin will strike a primer without the hammer falling? ?? E-gads!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
In my about 50 years of shooting, 25 years of various competitions I have never witnessed anyone drop a gun out of their hand, out of the holster...many times, but not the hand. I suppose it's theoretically possible to get one knocked out of your hand in a self defense scuffle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kimber FPB design is vastly superior and simpler than the abomination Colt uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Series 70 1911 actions are not drop safe. This is why colt and kimber went to the series 80 (though I don’t personally believe it necessary).

So, technically a multitude of 1911 pattern guns would probably not pass a drop test. Hilton Yam of 10-8 performance did a test a while back on this, and IIRC even the titanium firing pin guns (which is usually the suggested drop safe fix for series 70 1911s) went bang when dropped.

CZ Shadow 2s are also not drop safe, and neither are most shotguns.

ETA: I also believe a member here dropped his Nighthawk 1911 and had it go boom in a bathroom.

Kimber FPB design is vastly superior and simpler than the abomination Colt uses.

HJAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

This must be a joke!

The Kimber / Swartz system was what Colt originally tried using...in the 1930s, and then threw away in the early 1940s. Why would they spend the time/money/engineering just to ditch it entirely? Because it fucking sucks!

You can depress the grip safety enough to drop the hammer but NOT unlock the firing pin, easily! Don't believe me? Go to youtube, look up Ned Christiansen, and look at his Kimber videos.

The Kimber/Swartz system is easily the worst system out there, depending on the depression of the grip safety to function.

Colt's S80 system is easily best of the breed for 1911s. It's tied to the trigger, and you can't depress the trigger enough to drop the hammer and NOT unlock the firing pin unless someone's bent/broken a part or the frame or slide are grossly out of spec. Kimber/swartz can get out of time for any number of reasons, and mostly it's because Kimber's quality is utter shit.

Colt's system is 3 parts; 2 levers and a plunger (and a spring, if you want to count that as a part; so 4). Kimber's got more than that, including needing to remove the rear sight if you want to remove the components from the slide for maintenance/cleaning/etc...
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Staccato is a meme, but at least it’s a meme that functions reliably.

As for Ben’s posts:

https://media.tenor.com/bZXR-IvNmuwAAAAM/stirring-the-pot.gif

You mean a pistol with a floating firing pin will strike a primer without the hammer falling? ?? E-gads!!
View Quote

Ben is a troll but he often stirs up some worthy discussions. He and Matt Pranka have effectively moved the needle with regards to competitive shooting techniques used in tactical shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This must be a joke!

The Kimber / Swartz system was what Colt originally tried using...in the 1930s, and then threw away in the early 1940s. Why would they spend the time/money/engineering just to ditch it entirely? Because it fucking sucks!

You can depress the grip safety enough to drop the hammer but NOT unlock the firing pin, easily! Don't believe me? Go to youtube, look up Ned Christiansen, and look at his Kimber videos.

The Kimber/Swartz system is easily the worst system out there, depending on the depression of the grip safety to function.

Colt's S80 system is easily best of the breed for 1911s. It's tied to the trigger, and you can't depress the trigger enough to drop the hammer and NOT unlock the firing pin unless someone's bent/broken a part or the frame or slide are grossly out of spec. Kimber/swartz can get out of time for any number of reasons, and mostly it's because Kimber's quality is utter shit.

Colt's system is 3 parts; 2 levers and a plunger (and a spring, if you want to count that as a part; so 4). Kimber's got more than that, including needing to remove the rear sight if you want to remove the components from the slide for maintenance/cleaning/etc...
View Quote

To be fair it’s easy to fix
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my about 50 years of shooting, 25 years of various competitions I have never witnessed anyone drop a gun out of their hand, out of the holster...many times, but not the hand. I suppose it's theoretically possible to get one knocked out of your hand in a self defense scuffle.
View Quote

Is it unrealistic for a gun to fall out of a holster and land muzzle down with enough force to ram the firing pin into a primer?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This must be a joke!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Series 70 1911 actions are not drop safe. This is why colt and kimber went to the series 80 (though I don’t personally believe it necessary).

So, technically a multitude of 1911 pattern guns would probably not pass a drop test. Hilton Yam of 10-8 performance did a test a while back on this, and IIRC even the titanium firing pin guns (which is usually the suggested drop safe fix for series 70 1911s) went bang when dropped.

ETA: I also believe a member here dropped his Nighthawk 1911 and had it go boom in a bathroom.

This must be a joke!

Colts system is dinky little parts that make a a shitty trigger pull.

It would be very easy to tune the kimber style FPS interface with the GS to be material positive of the trigger bow stop surface of the GS.

Just because Kimber mistoleranced or misdimensioned it doesn't mean the design is bad.

Someone who's gripping like a girl could miss pushing the GS in far enough to clear the trigger now altogether. Should we blame that design?  

I dont have any 1911s with any FPS. I did have some kimbers. 2 out of 3 were good. . They all had considerably better triggers than the 2 colt series 80 POS that I had.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
How do so few people know 19/2011s don't have firing pin blocks?

Also they can't hurt you when dropped because it only happens muzzle-down. Or at least can't kill you, you might take spall in the ankle.

It's nothing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also they can't hurt you when dropped because it only happens muzzle-down. Or at least can't kill you, you might take spall in the ankle.

It's nothing.
View Quote

Because the old timers are aging out?

We live in a striker fired world where everyone assumes that there are some magical metal bits in all pistols that prevent a primer strike unless the trigger is depressed.

Ben is just reminding us that this is not the case.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is it unrealistic for a gun to fall out of a holster and land muzzle down with enough force to ram the firing pin into a primer?
View Quote
I've never heard of it, let a lone seen it happen. Most comps are on grass or dirt, which cushions the blow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We live in a striker fired world where everyone assumes that there are some magical metal bits in all pistols that prevent a primer strike unless the trigger is depressed.

View Quote

This is a huge nothing burger.

But, it’s seems to be a fun way for PSA build owners to have a gotcha moment and for some 1% types with $10k+ race guns to dog pile on it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never heard of it, let a lone seen it happen. Most comps are on grass or dirt, which cushions the blow.
View Quote

Not disagreeing with you and I know it is a different platform... but I wonder what the specific failure mode was for the S2 that killed a RSO.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ny-range-safety-officer-killed-by-negligent-discharge-during-uspsa-competition/

I need to do some research but right off the bat I wonder if it was the sear letting go on a cocked hammer, hammer being hit by ground on a hammer down pistol or a firing pin inertia issue from a muzzle hit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

2.5, but there is a custom option for 4.5 for duty.  

After firing a couple at the range, I lusted for one, but not at that price.  But the deal in this thread crushed my willpower.  $1100 off was too much to resist.  I am weak.  
View Quote

I would have FO'd hard had I seen that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yea and I've had a factory ar15 go bang when dropping the bolt on factory ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif

Have you ever ah... Used an AR15 before?

Yea and I've had a factory ar15 go bang when dropping the bolt on factory ammo.

The only rounds I've heard of that happening with are Hornady TAP.  Soft primers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif

Have you ever ah... Used an AR15 before?
View Quote

Actually, he is NOT WRONG.

It is THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE for an AR-15 firing pin to move forward during the bolt moving to battery with sufficient force to set off a primer.

It requires a fairly sensitive commercial primer, and/or a primer that is seated higher than normal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Modded shadow 2's.

Stock shadow 2's are just fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends on the drop test in question.

A standard 1911, with a firing pin of normal mass, with a firing pin spring in spec. to the original standard, can be dropped so that it's muzzle hits a hard surface from up to SIX FEET above that surface and not discharge a properly seated military spec. primer.  (This is assuming the safety lock in engaged with this test.)

Of course, using commercial primers, and ones not seated to proper spec. can affect these results.  So can worn firing pin springs.

The lack of being "drop safe" in a 1911 is much ado about nothing.   Discharges due to drops of that pistol are very uncommon.  I would postulate that FAR more firings when dropped are due to the sear jumping out of the full cock notch and not being caught by the half cock notch, and this being part of a pistol with a light "trigger job"
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Modded shadow 2's.

Stock shadow 2's are just fine.
View Quote

How so? I've got a S2OR and in stock configuration, there is nothing preventing the firing pin from passing through the breech face if the pistol were to be dropped onto concrete from 5 feet, directly onto the muzzle.

Are you saying that the firing pin is so light and the firing pin spring so strong that it is simply impossible?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Worse yet, these young'uns with the striker fired guns are willing to spout off in ignorance of how no gun can POSSIBLY be safe without a firing pin block.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not disagreeing with you and I know it is a different platform... but I wonder what the specific failure mode was for the S2 that killed a RSO.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ny-range-safety-officer-killed-by-negligent-discharge-during-uspsa-competition/

I need to do some research but right off the bat I wonder if it was the sear letting go on a cocked hammer, hammer being hit by ground on a hammer down pistol or a firing pin inertia issue from a muzzle hit.
View Quote
Hadn't heard of that one, don't compete in USPSA. Not much info other than an AD. A safety AAR should have been done, I would think, to teach everyone what not to do and reinforce what should be done.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh boy
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Springfield Armory went to the the titanium firing pin to pass the California safety testing. Still series 70 though. I don't know about anyone else.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So it's just as safe as an ar15.........

The ar15 can go bang just dropping the bolt on a loaded round.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Extended firing pin with a reduced firing pin spring.

When that handgun was dropped, I believe it was also hammer down, and it landed on the hammer.

That's why there was a push to get rid of the hammer down rule for USPSA...
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would guess it is not even thought about by the majority of gun owners.

I have no idea what guns or mine are drop safe or not. I just generally try not to drop them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How so? I've got a S2OR and in stock configuration, there is nothing preventing the firing pin from passing through the breech face if the pistol were to be dropped onto concrete from 5 feet, directly onto the muzzle.

Are you saying that the firing pin is so light and the firing pin spring so strong that it is simply impossible?
View Quote

Firing pin spring should be heavy enough to keep the firing pin from detonating the primer from a normal drop. If you find ways to up the forces, it will obviously fail... but that's outside what would happen in real life drops.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just one round? Weird.
View Quote

Dropped a single round in the chamber and slapped the ping pong paddle at low ready.

I'm sure the extra velocity of the bolt not being slowed by stripping a round out of a mag was a contributing factor but for the purposes of this discussion it's moot.

What is interesting to me is that 9mm ars have a firing pin spring to prevent it, I assume because 9mm soft primers are more common.

Ammo that I was using was factory Alexander arms .50 beo, though buddy that had similar happen was wolf steel case.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Posted over in the 1911 section but figured GD would have a field day with this.

Casing + primer + cocked + locked + drop = BANG!

XC is marketed as Duty & Competition.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_2024-05-25_123912_png-3223043.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D84w_ObdZe4

YouTube Shorts:

https://youtube.com/shorts/eT1tlBR1W-w?si=g2pvGRCclkf4edmp

Instagram Reels:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7XIlmNOCwi/

View Quote

LOL. PANIC!

Why should a duty gun be drop safe, but it's okay for a competition gun to be drop unsafe?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone who is freaked out by this and wants to unload their Staccato (at a deep discount since we now know they’re just straight up dangerous) please let me know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only times I've seen guns fall out of aholsters was when the person wearing them fell. The guns weren't very far from the ground when they came out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The only times I've seen guns fall out of aholsters was when the person wearing them fell. The guns weren't very far from the ground when they came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently the USPSA RO killed by a dropped CZ in NYS is forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Series 70 be like that.  Oh well, mine runs like a raped ape and I'll keep carrying it.  Far more reliable pistol than my buddies Sandhawk which was twice as much.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Series 70 be like that.  Oh well, mine runs like a raped ape and I'll keep carrying it.  Far more reliable pistol than my buddies Sandhawk which was twice as much.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_4577-3179429.jpg
View Quote

That bums me out, I was looking to buy a sandhawk
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Trigger weight has nothing to do with it, it was all the inertia of the firing pin.
View Quote

It's why Ruger & Springfield uses titanium firing pins and a heavy spring in their guns.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's nothing.

And that deserves a thread as if it's some kind of breaking news we all need to get worked up about?  Wait til you find out cars didn't always come with seatbelts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't see that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_4577-3179429.jpg
View Quote

That's purtty.

How ya been? @pavelow16478
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I’d bet that wouldn’t happen with a Wolff extra power FP spring. Those should be replaced along with recoil spring every 5k rounds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's purtty.

How ya been? @pavelow16478
View Quote

@Ridgerunner9876

Thanks!  Shoots better than it looks.

Good but too damn busy.  8 figures worth of capital projects in the last two years and now have 3 side businesses on top of a more than full time job  Just put another V140 in and will be putting an additional G&L HBM in soon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Pretty much anyone who knows anything about guns knows that 1911/2011 type pistols without FPBs can fire when dropped on the muzzle. Titanium firing pin supposedly solves (perhaps only mitigates?) the issue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Still safer than a Sig 320 that fires while holstered.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top