Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
High paying areas of trucking:

Heavy haul and rigging.
Anything hazmat (fuel, gases, chemical, etc.)
Lubricant delivery.
Anything technical / mechanical that would require a cdl.
Equipment hauling. (Contractors, etc.)
Some concrete work.  
LTL/specialized freight.

Basically anything where you have to think. And not just open a door before you attempt to back up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend that started the schooling only to be told later that his health prevented him from getting his license.
Make sure you are good to go physically. My friend has blood pressure issues.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you still get syphilis from the dead ones?  Asking for a friend.
View Quote
Depends(wait that’s for the grannies)
You have to consider the heat of the curling iron you use to warm them up when you “crack open a cold one”
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Do everything you can to stay accident free 1 year. After find a local job.

Understand the Hours of service Regs extremely well.

Get a small tool kit.

Your normal gps will not route you around low bridges.

Google map satellite view each delivery/pick up before you get to location.

Get a good pair of sunglasses.

Find pod casts or satellite radio etc to help you pass time.

Do t pull over to shoulder of an interstate to piss. At least use shoulder of a on/off ramp if nothing else available.

When in bumper to bumper traffic check right mirror, aholes will come up the shoulder.

When in bad areas run seatbelt thru door handle and lock it in.

Check your 5th wheel handle before leaving after parking. Aholes will pull it.

Park in the easiest pull thru spots you can find even if further away. You can’t get into a backing accident, if you don’t back.

Get out of the truck at check surroundings during an articulated back. At least until you get good at backing and back slooowly

Clean your mirrors, windshield often.

Have extra head light bulbs.

Build a relationship with your dispatcher.

Don’t show up late for to work.

Get a map and plan a route. Dont jjust blindly go off GPS. Even truck gps

Always call ahead to receiver. Double check open hours can never hurt. You can also ask for land marks near the DC

Watch what you eat and get some weights in your truck in day 1.

Have a kit for emergency break down or road closures. Food blanket etc.

Talk to your coworkers.  The experienced guys usually offer a lot of help.

Find a mentor if possible.

Flash light is a must. Rubber boots help for heavy rain.

Try to bring groceries and not just eat at the truck stops.

drive like it’s your family in the cars around you. You’re the professional.

Don’t take OTC meds that can make you drowsy.

Good luck and stay safe. You got folks counting on you to get back home in 1 piece.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You forgot hand unloading and loading (At least it was back in the day)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
heartbreak ,dissapontment being lied too, divorce,lonelyness.being pissed off .nasty truckstops. asshole shipper ,recivers.crooked trip agents.low pay.being harassed by the DOT.
Cigarette loads were the best!
May the fire from the eyes of the gods burn the souls of the assholes that palletize that shit.

When I got my license to drive a truck, if you had a military DL for a vehicle that grossed 80,000lbs, all you had to do was take a short written test to get your truck DL. I showed them my army DL which included an M1, and the rest was gravy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Study the pretrip until you can do one blindfolded.

90% of the CDL test is backing up.  Get good at that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Look into LTL and UPS. Home daily and good money.

I never looked at it for a career but laugh at buddies with 6 figure student loans making a third that I do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You should be. I am very well qualified to do a couple of things that provide a decent living but I lack a degree of any kind. I can't even get an interview without one.

That is probably the biggest change I've noticed. In my area, 10 years ago, experience was everything and formal education was a distant second. With Reno becoming a technology hub, degrees have become nearly mandatory and competing for a decent job without one has broken me over the last couple of months. So I'm doing this to earn a paycheck until I can find something more in line with my experience.
View Quote
I call BS to that.    If you are new and no experience then a degree will help.    I have a AA in Art, no really an AA and I pulled down 250K last year and more then that this year.

I'm a independent SAP consultant.

My daughter has a couple 6 month IT programs, Security admin and network intrusion.   She will start out at 50K and in a few years be pulling down well over 100K.

Have you talked to IT recruiters?   Do some contract work.   A lot company's do contract to hire.   And if all else fails MOVE to someplace else.

I know it sucks right now, but keep working on it.   It will get better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
BTDT......OP, I will tell you with 100% certainty....if you have any anger issues driving a car, leave them well behind you.

Take your time, stay way back, know what's going on all around you.

The moment you feel you need to close the gap on a knucklehead driver who is driving like an idiot....suppress that urge and let them go. If you get in a wreck, you will make the news.

You will be targeted, you will  be cutoff, you will be slow, and you will be run down by other independent truckers with rigs much more powerful and faster then yours.....let them go.

I say this because I have seen my fair share of mangled metal on the roads at nights...and it gets ugly. I know there are first responders and LEO here that have seen 100 times more than myself.

If driving at night, make a absolutely sure you eat with common sense, no junk food and get good sleep. If you can sleep at home, make sure you have a good bed.

Sleep and diet is critical.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Why go to a school? I didn’t. I had never sat in a semi in my life. I picked up the CDL manual from the DMV, read it that night, went and passed all the written tests the next morning. I then rented a truck for road test. The dude met me at the test place before they opened and spent no more than 30 minutes with me driving and I went and took the test and passed it with ease. Frankly it kind of scared me how easy it was. The next week I found a truck in another state and went up there and bought it and drove it home. Got my own operating authority too but in the past five years I have only hauled maybe four loads for hire. I can’t stand being stuck in a vehicle that much. Mainly I just haul my own shit around. I only drive around 10k miles a year. It’s not that difficult. I sure as hell wouldn’t have gone to any kind of school for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you're mentally and physically able to work consecutive 14 hour workdays and nights, starting at any hour.  If you're driving local, you may have to count ten hours ahead when you go off duty and tell your dispatcher that you'll be back when that ten hours is up.
Wear steel toe boots, bring safety glasses and work gloves.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you considered electrical engineering as an alternative?  I might drive truck if there was a gun to my head.  I'd have to think about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Did somebody mention SWIFT?
From Rawlins WY last week as a co-worker went by. Lots of wreaks that day. And as of right now I-80 is closed both directions again because my fellow truck drivers can't seem to heed high wind warnings for Light/High Profile Vehicles, and cannot bother to slow down for icy and slick road conditions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why go to a school? I didn’t. I had never sat in a semi in my life. I picked up the CDL manual from the DMV, read it that night, went and passed all the written tests the next morning. I then rented a truck for road test. The dude met me at the test place before they opened and spent no more than 30 minutes with me driving and I went and took the test and passed it with ease. Frankly it kind of scared me how easy it was. The next week I found a truck in another state and went up there and bought it and drove it home. Got my own operating authority too but in the past five years I have only hauled maybe four loads for hire. I can’t stand being stuck in a vehicle that much. Mainly I just haul my own shit around. I only drive around 10k miles a year. It’s not that difficult. I sure as hell wouldn’t have gone to any kind of school for it.
View Quote
The rules changed(this month actually, I believe) to require a certain number of hours in training before you can test. The days of walking in and taking the written tests and scheduling a driving test like you and I did are over. It doesn't have to be a school, employers can operate their own in-house training programs too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like you won’t be working.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently I should have added:

I will not work for Swift
I will NOT be buying or leasing a truck
I will only accept hourly positions

And while trucking companies do pay for training, it is basically indentured servitude. I won't be doing that.
Looks like you won’t be working.
Depends on his area In mine, it would be very reasonable.
Others not so much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Fred Eaglesmith - Trucker Speed - Live at McCabe's
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Look at local contractors and heavy equipment ind. for work - drivers always getting $$ for local home every night work
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Study the pretrip until you can do one blindfolded.

90% of the CDL test is backing up.  Get good at that.
View Quote
All jokes aside, this is actually good advice. I drive for FedEx freight and they pay well along with training. PM me if you would like more.

CDL examiners don’t watch what you’re doing, they listen for key words to make sure you tick their boxes. Backing is a major part of the exam and will determine weather you pass or not. That’s 90% of the testing.

Honestly, make sure you’re in a good head space before and study front to back and backwards forwards for the pretrip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been looking into it as well. Local community college offers a CDL course for $1600.   Unfortunately, I can’t pass the DOT physical yet.

I may start an LLC and buy a used dump truck (T880). I can contract out with a local dumping service for $100/hour.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ve been looking into it as well. Local community college offers a CDL course for $1600.   Unfortunately, I can’t pass the DOT physical yet.

I may start an LLC and buy a used dump truck (T880). I can contract out with a local dumping service for $100/hour.
View Quote
You must have some crazy rates where you're at.  Tandems get $85/hr here to the contracting company.  Not sure what their cut is but I'll bet the o/o's ain't taking home more than$70.  I don't know how they make any money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my CDL a little over a year ago, mainly to take a break from life and see America.  Lots of good advice posted above.  I know Knights has an Oakland to Reno run hauling containers and I think JB Hunt does as well.  I got into it thinking that I'd just do it for a year but it turns out I'm really beginning to like it.  The hardest part for me has been being alone for long periods of time but I'm OTR.  Feel free to pm me anytime.  I may be moving to the Reno area in the next year or two so I can fish Pyramid Lake more.

In no particular order
  • Practice backing every chance you can.  I go to some crazy tight places.
  • Get used to pissing in a one gallon water bottle
  • Eat well.  The only thing I eat at Loves is the Nashville chicken roller things
  • Preplan the fuck out of your trip.  Get a trucking GPS, don't rely on a civilian unit
  • Put together a basic toolkit.  Carry extra mud flaps and the tools to change one out
  • Extra food and water, clothing and sleeping bag especially going over the Sierras
  • Watch your following distance.  Extra room gives you extra time if SHTF.
  • Get on dispatches good side.  They make or break you
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for you OP

my advise go over the road one year and then apply in your state for a state job in the DOT
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are Military and still have a valid military drivers license with tractor trailer on it, Wyoming waves the port testing and only requires the written. When I was in truck driving school, while on terminal leave from the military, we went in to get our learner permits, I walked out with a regular temp license with all endorsements except my Hazmat. SAGE knocked off $500 since I didn't have to use their truck for the port test.

Not sure if WY is still doing that though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CDL examiners don’t watch what you’re doing, they listen for key words to make sure you tick their boxes. Backing is a major part of the exam and will determine weather you pass or not. That’s 90% of the testing.
View Quote
My examiner from DMV didn't even do the backing portion, I thought I had failed when he told me to drive back to the starting point. I guess he wanted to go home early.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#25]
High speed chicken feed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Next step in life. Temporary. Not buying a TURCK. I told myself the same things almost 20 years ago. Still doing it, occasionally. 2 things: it's not a glamorous life, but if you keep that license clean, you will never ever be without a job. Also, don't listen to the naysayers, There is still money to be made out here.
View Quote
Exactly. In commercial insurance here. Have many trucking clients. If you have 2 years cdl and a clean record you are gold.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I enrolled in trucking school too. I start next Wednesday. I don't know what your game plan is, but I'm shooting for a feeder driving position at UPS. Pay is not that good to start ($21/hr), but four years of tenure puts you at $37/hr.
View Quote
My dad did that for 30 years. Get used to taking naps.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
That 100/hr. will look like peanuts when you have to pay truck shops to do maintenance and repairs. Then there is the lost opportunity cost of having a truck down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Jeremy Clarkson on Lorry Driving
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I enrolled in trucking school too. I start next Wednesday. I don't know what your game plan is, but I'm shooting for a feeder driving position at UPS. Pay is not that good to start ($21/hr), but four years of tenure puts you at $37/hr.
View Quote
Tell them you want to experience pulling a fully load trailer before you finish school.
The first time you let the clutch out on a full load is a serious 'WTF' moment.

They wont do it tho. "Not with my school equipment, you'll break something".
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I talked to a couple of excavation/sand/gravel guys that have fairly large companies here in Michigan.  They are both hard up for drivers and said they said the biggest problem is passing the DOT physical and driving record/background/drug screening, after that, they lose drivers to the DOT.

I've thought about it, but they way people are on their phones first, and driving a car second these days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#32]
All I can offer from years ago is that 90% of the CDL test was the walk-around inspection before the driving portion. It was encouraged to thoroughly inspect things to the point the guy giving the test said that's enough Hazmat endorsement will bring added testing/responsibility, but give you more options.

Good luck getting a local run right out the door. In my outdated opinion, best chance would be driving a dump or concrete truck for local, but you better like early morning stuff if you go concrete.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Pulling out in front of people causing them to have to come to a complete stop cause you didnt want to wait until it was clear.

Blocking both lanes trying to pass another semi for miles on a two lane hwy.

Being lazy on a three lane hwy and staying in the middle lane forcing even old Asian ladies in a Prius to pass you in the passing/left lane turning the passing lane into a lane that's slower then the right lane.

You know, usual trucker stuff.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My advise as a CDL holder: don't.

It will run your life. Once into it, it's hard to get out of. Those skills don't transfer to anything.
View Quote
This right here.
I'm retired after over 25 years on the road.

Change your mind now and do something else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#35]
You work lots of hours
LTL's are paying stupid high wages so get hazmat endorsement

Truck driving sucks now because of all the electronic BS , cameras on you all the time.
Last place i worked installed new cameras that track eye movement and if your not checking road, mirrors, gauges often enough you get talked about being alert.

I let my CDL go back in 2011 because if you have one somebody WILL want you to drive.
So it is job security
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Work hard and keep your nose clean and one day you might have the best sunvisor in the industry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of places in the ND oilfield hire new drivers. I know several who make $80,000 a year and only work 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did somebody mention SWIFT?
From Rawlins WY last week as a co-worker went by. Lots of wreaks that day. And as of right now I-80 is closed both directions again because my fellow truck drivers can't seem to heed high wind warnings for Light/High Profile Vehicles, and cannot bother to slow down for icy and slick road conditions.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118528/20200208_120301_0__jpg-1276767.JPG
View Quote
Cracked windshield sir.

Do you have a write up in for it? Or on your DVIR?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Not a CDL but I see lots of small businesses looking for Class B drivers.  Septic service,  vacjet, well drillers, etc
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
heartbreak ,dissapontment being lied too, divorce,lonelyness.being pissed off .nasty truckstops. asshole shipper ,recivers.crooked trip agents.low pay.being harassed by the DOT.
View Quote
Honestly I don't know how you guys keep your cool around those tyrant cocksuckers?!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or being forced to pay some lumper to load or unload .paying to get your bbills  sighned. And just to add i did it for 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Bubba P. Waters & The Mudcats - "Chicken Hauler Blues"

Call Bubba
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#43]
You are only as valuable as what you haul and/or what service you provide.

Swing doors for some shitty company hauling shitty commodity freight to shitty customers and all you are is a commodity yourself and you will be treated as such.

Specialize, excel, make yourself worry of remuneration. Foxtrot08 will tell you that a good, professional driver is worth his weight in gold.

Furthermore, having a CDL with the right endorsements and a clean record provides you with more job security than you can imagine.  The industry is screaming for drivers.

I've got pretty much the best gig behind a wheel but if I lost my job today I could be driving next week.  It might not be a good job but it would be something until I worked my way back into another good position.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Go here. get on the out of work list for a water truck driver, sweeper, roller or CAT 740. Construction companies always need dump truck drivers be it end, side or belly as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#45]
hurry up and get there and wait ,breakdowns on road, a live unload is actually a drop after you waited a few hours to be there on your scheduled delivery time, your carrier has empty trailers on the yard you didn't know about,if you would have known you could have dropped trailer earlier and been down the road, body odor, dont forget your sandals
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Go to work for a crane company hauling counterweight and building cranes and rigging loads . Work your way into a crane seat . Good luck .
View Quote
I have two CDL's,  (European and American),  have hauled international, local, box, reefer, flatbed, lowboy/special, dump trucks, operated excavators and drove charter busses.

Licenced mobile crane operator is a rank higher but comes with its own challenges as mobile cranes can be contracted to somewhere else for weeks or so.

I quit trucking as I couldn't stand the imbecile passenger car drivers taking stupidity to new levels,  some point got engineering degree and was designing trucks and busses until moved on...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When I was driving one of my coworkers would bring a 5 gallon bucket of kitty litter with him on Monday.   Saturday afternoon he'd take a full bucket out.  No lid.   He said shitting in public restrooms was disgusting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#48]
According to our local guru, ride there mustard, stay away from their mayonnaise at all cost. ??
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Go to work for a crane company hauling counterweight and building cranes and rigging loads . Work your way into a crane seat . Good luck .
View Quote
The crane business has been pretty good to me. Most companies have high turnover because the drivers also rig and do other grunt work. Too many CDL holder just want to sit in the truck in their jammies and flip flops. I've been with the same crew for 8 years and do all their weird heavy haul stuff, operate remote controlled self propelled platform trailers, have my crane license and sometimes still pull counter weights.

It pays good, I drive company equipment and stay in hotels not truck stops when I'm on the road.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are only as valuable as what you haul and/or what service you provide.

Swing doors for some shitty company hauling shitty commodity freight to shitty customers and all you are is a commodity yourself and you will be treated as such.

Specialize, excel, make yourself worry of remuneration. Foxtrot08 will tell you that a good, professional driver is worth his weight in gold.

Furthermore, having a CDL with the right endorsements and a clean record provides you with more job security than you can imagine.  The industry is screaming for drivers.

I've got pretty much the best gig behind a wheel but if I lost my job today I could be driving next week.  It might not be a good job but it would be something until I worked my way back into another good position.
View Quote
1 good to great driver is literally 40-50% more productive than an average driver in my industry.

It’s not so much they put more hours in, but it’s putting more hours in at the right time.

Spending that extra 30 minutes to do that one more stop today, so you don’t have to drive two hours out of the way to do it tomorrow. It might only be 500 gallons but it has to be done one way or another.  Putting it off just hurts.

Small changes like that and being able to self route better, makes a huge difference.

With that said. It’s why some drivers make 45-60k. And some make 80-100k.

Sure my starting pay is low compared to the upper end of pay, because 1 in 3 I hire, they claim the job is too much work and quit within 45-90 days.

1 in 3 new hires promised the world and woefully under delivers. Including those with experience out the ass, oil field guys who “love to work all the hours” etc.  (anyone who walks in from the oil patch and says they love working 80-90 hours just lied to my face.)

1 in 3 pan out, out of that 30% or so of drivers that stick around, only a few are dedicated hard workers that understand that putting things off today will hurt them tomorrow.  But there are tons of other telling signs once you get to know them. How they handle their personal lives, etc.

that small percentage is extremely well compensated because they will literally do the work of two average drivers.

Thus, as I said before. If you’re not an idiot and can be more than average, you can make good money.  80-100k or so plus benefits is pretty comfortable in most places around the US.

But if you want to be an average door swinger, you’ll get paid crap.

The industry is what you make of it. The only common link between door swinger OTRs that are stereotyped and specialty work, is the need for a cdl and the brand of vehicle used. Pay is very different. Job experience is very different.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top