Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Thailand has some pretty good pizza although it is hard to find a thick crust opposed to the hundreds of thin crust options.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I know it's a phrase unfamiliar to most Arfcommers, but...  I don't know.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know who makes the best pizza. What I do know is I like all styles of pizza and the only really bad pizza I've ever had came from the freezer section of the grocery store. I do prefer deep dish over NY style, but NY style pizza is great also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]

My own creations, but I am still learning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Love me some Pepperoni Hug Spot pizza.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll find great pizza anywhere there's a large number of Italians concentrated in a small region.
View Quote

Except in Texas. They are cursed with no tastebuds. It is a genetic defect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people will tell you the reason CT/NY/NJ has consistently the best pizza is because of our “water”.

I’ll vote Ct as having the best pizza and it’s not even from the big places everyone knows. Domenic and Pias in Waterbury and domenic and vinnies in Waterbury are some of the best pizzas you’ll eat. Domenic and vinnies is a square pizza cut into squares lol not that round pie cut into squares shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]
New Haven style
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ohio

/thread
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not IA

View Quote

You’ve obviously never eaten at a Pagliai’s Pizza. A pity.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
NY
NJ
CT

I love pizza and I've had good pizza in other states, but the fascist triumvirate of NY-NJ-CT are light years ahead of even whatever state is in 4th place.  As a previous poster eluded to, you have to have a traditionally high percentage of Italians in an area to have good pizza.  It's in the water and the sauce.  Just slapping whatever toppings you like on baked dough, throwing on some sauce you got a recipe for online from some non-Italian "internet chef" and calling it good pizza just doesn't make it so.  You might like it, and that's cool, but it doesn't make it great pizza.  Sorry.

Damn, now you guys are making me hungry thinking of the pizza place we ate at in Brooklyn a couple weekends ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
There used to be a place called Jackie's Pizza in the riding mountains in Manitoba. I still remember it. It was by far the most memorable pizza I have ever had.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Without Wi cheese ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Illinois...we have two different types.

Michigan (Detroit) has fantastic pizza as well...if you consider a rectangle pizza.

I think the main difference between Chicago (tavern) pizza and St Louis pizza is yeast in the dough.  Both are square cut.  Maybe that is a midwest thing? (Detroit is also square cut)

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
any pizza place in NY or NJ that sounds like the guy that runs it is in the mob.

if not then fogetaboutit
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Those pizzas do look really freakin' good, but why cut a round pizza into square slices?  That's weird.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thin crust pizza is communism
View Quote

I agree with this
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#19]
California sourdough pizza is the best, but NY style pizza is good too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Just had some Lou Malnatis. Have to say Arizona and illinois
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
For not being very popular here, you all sure eat a lot of Michigan pizza's.

Dominos, Little Caesars, Jet's, Hungry Howie's, Cottage Inn. All born in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Not FL

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#23]
It's definitely NY.  Plenty of close runners up with NJ, CT, and yes even Chicago.

Here's why.....

Drive through any state in the USA and you will see "New York STYLE Pizza" advertised everywhere.  Imitation is the best form of flattery.  

Even in the South -where they vehemently hate Yankees - you will have no trouble finding a NY "style" pizza place in any medium sized town.  NY pizza is so fucking good, it still causes Stockholm syndrome.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

The first is ok, but the second picture of the casserole is fucking insulting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Those pizzas do look really freakin' good, but why cut a round pizza into square slices?  That's weird.
View Quote

It is sometimes called kids cut.  Really good for parties, especially with small kids.  They want the middle pieces, and are less likely to make a mess.  
Also made so that you can use your free hand to drink your beer (I think that is why it is called tavern style).
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Should start a poll if you really want to find out what the opinions are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Good article!
https://thetakeout.com/chicago-deep-dish-pizza-is-not-a-casserole-1848548005

A: Deep dish is NOT a casserole.....that joke is pretty tired.
B: Our actual pizza is tavern style.  Deep dish is for special occasions (our tourists).  It is too heavy to consume all the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Of all the places I've had pizza, Western NY has been the best. Nowhere beats the Buffalo area for pizza and wings. We get food from Pasquale's every time we're up there.

It's going to be a matter of what style pizza you prefer, though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Of all the places I've had pizza, Western NY has been the best. Nowhere beats the Buffalo area for pizza and wings. We get food from Pasquale's every time we're up there.

It's going to be a matter of what style pizza you prefer, though.
View Quote

Lovejoy pizza for me. The stuffed pepper pizza is my favorite, but the pepperoni is nearly as good.

I'd go Detroit #2, so NY and MI for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
New Haven, CT
Frank Pepe's
Modern
Sals Apizza

it gets no better.
View Quote

Zuppardi's has an amazing fresh shucked clam pizza. Their homemade sausage and mushrooms is also really good.

But if I had to choose a favorite pizza, it would be the Italian Bomb at Modern.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quad cities ,  specifically Harris .

Quad city style pizza  
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Beau Jo’s Pizza in Idaho Springs, CO is the best pizza I’ve had
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#33]
On the topic of pizza, parents ordered pizza last night. One medium thin crust, and one medium thin crust gluten free, $50 dollars with a 10% off coupon. Rip
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I lived in NJ for 20 years and have spent a lot of time in NY.

The top 3 pizza places I know were all in Delaware.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]
One bite, everybody knows the rules!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#36]
CT

/end

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20230820_182712-2958128.jpg
My own creations, but I am still learning.
View Quote

Put your pepperoni under the cheese, and cook that thing until it’s crispy
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#40]
The best pizza I've ever had was Tuscan pizza from a pizzeria in Florence, Italy. I used to eat lunch there every day my sophomore year.

It's made in a large (like 24x36") rectangular pan and comes fresh out of the oven.

Thick crust, sold in large rectangular slices. No tomato sauce, no marinara crap. Not even cheese. Just olive oil and pesto and you choose ONE topping, like roasted eggplant or roasted tomato slices.

It was perfect.

I've eaten pizza in Naples and hated it. Neapolitan-style pizza is what most Americans like and are familiar with.

The further north you go in Italy, the better the food will be, and it will be less likely to contain squid or octopus or mussels.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I love pizza and I've had good pizza in other states, but the fascist triumvirate of NY-NJ-CT are light years ahead of even whatever state is in 4th place.  As a previous poster eluded to, you have to have a traditionally high percentage of Italians in an area to have good pizza.  It's in the water and the sauce.  Just slapping whatever toppings you like on baked dough, throwing on some sauce you got a recipe for online from some non-Italian "internet chef" and calling it good pizza just doesn't make it so.  You might like it, and that's cool, but it doesn't make it great pizza.  Sorry.

Damn, now you guys are making me hungry thinking of the pizza place we ate at in Brooklyn a couple weekends ago.
View Quote

Did you know (and this is a fact) that Chicago has the cleanest and most pure public water in the Nation? No, I didn't believe it either, but it's true.

Regardless, if I wanted water, New York and New Jersey would be the last place I would go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did you know (and this is a fact) that Chicago has the cleanest and most pure public water in the Nation? No, I didn't believe it either, but it's true.

Regardless, if I wanted water, New York and New Jersey would be the last place I would go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I have no doubt that the water in NYC and NJ is awful.  It is that same awfulness that makes the pizza taste so good!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The further north you go in Italy, the better the food will be, and it will be less likely to contain squid or octopus or mussels.
View Quote

Seafood on pizza is awesome.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#44]
NC and it’s found at Casa Mia’s in Littleton. Period!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Kansas. Thats where Pizza hut was started.
View Quote

We said pizza not wet cardboard and dirty toilet paper soaked in tomato juice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Chicago, then Detroit.
So Illinois and Michigan.
View Quote

This a Pizza thread not greasy casserole thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Chicago deep-dish pizza is the best pizza.
View Quote

Greasy casserole is not Pizza
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The best pizza map aligns to a map of Giants Fans.

Too south into NJ, you start to hear that filthy Philly accent and the pizza sucks.

Go north into CT and you’ll encounter Pats fans and shitty pizza.

It’s science.
View Quote

This isn't a bad way to think about it, tasty Italian delis in the North End aside...

I'll still mention Biga Pizza in Missoula, MT.  Yes, I was surprised, and yes it's that good.  People were surprised about Bianco in Phoenix too.  Like a beautiful flower growing out of a crack in the pavement, the randomness of life makes magic happen sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll find great pizza anywhere there's a large number of Italians concentrated in a small region.

Nick's Place in west Houston has very good pizza.  Excellent quatro formaggi.  Good place to watch a game too.  Granted, you'll feel like you're back in Jersey...

Romano's is quite good as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
NYC end of thread and it’s not even close .
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top