Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:LOL...  It is almost as if people don't actually know what a casserole is, but heard someone else say deep dish is a casserole, so they say repeat it.  Sad.  

As a midwestern guy, here are a couple of key pointers to help you out (while ignoring the obvious combining and/or binding ingredients for most casseroles).

1. "Casseroles" (in the way being used) are usually (not always, but usually) cooked in a glass/ceramic "casserole dish".  Some folks do use Dutch Ovens, but that is a different story and then we get into MN Hot Dishes and stuff.  Deep dish pizza is never baked in a glass dish, that is key because the name "Casserole" isn't the meal, it is actually the name of the baking dish itself.

2. "Casseroles" usually do not have bottom and side crusts, and CANNOT ALWAYS SUPPORT THEMSELVES.

A deep dish pizza outside of its pizza pan look like this:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2019/2/19/0/KC2004_Deep-Dish-Pizza_s4x3.jpg
https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah/image/upload/SFS_chicago_deep_dish_pizza-16_cehf9d.jpg

Your gram-gram's famous tuna-cheese casserole would be a sloppy mess all over the table if not contained within the casserole (dish).
https://images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com/91f3ed81-39a5-48e3-933b-b89b437b1657.jpg

Hence, casseroles are served within the casserole (dish), deep dish pizza (which is not baked in a casserole) can be served in our out of the pan, depending on where you are getting it from. If it is take-out/delivery, it is obviously not coming with the pan.   If you are eating in, it could go either way depending on the location.  

You are welcome.  
View Quote

Sooooo, it’s a quiche?

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wholewheat crust with canadian bacon and green olives was our go to.

I don’t care who knows it.
View Quote

I wouldn't turn it down
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha-why-ee
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I will say that the most WTF "pizza" i ever had was "tomato pie" in upstate NY.
Had to ask locals to explain it to me it was so weird.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Okay, let's have it: what's so great about BG pizza.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ohio.  Specfically Bowling Green.  

Okay, let's have it: what's so great about BG pizza.

Most pizza per capita in the country.  I loved me some Pisanellos when I was there.  

Round Table is my favorite west coast chain.  Hideaway is my favorite in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Get your NY style pies in NJ.

Get your thin crust from Kinchley's.

This is not up for debate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Except in Texas. They are cursed with no tastebuds. It is a genetic defect.
View Quote

Lol, Home Slice and Via 313 make great pizza.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NYC end of thread and it’s not even close .
View Quote

I lived 10 years in NYC.  The majority of New York pizza is a skin flap with too little sauce and squeaky cheese with a pool of grease on top.  Jersey pies are better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#10]
NY/NJ/PA tri state area.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the best is Mario's in Gunnison Colorado
View Quote

I go there every time I visit my parents in Lake City. It’s good for sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both are good. Really it comes down to your preferred style and the quality of ingredients and oven.

313 is just Detroit pizza.

There’s several pizza places I like in the Dallas area, but they are all specifically regional styles. Detroit, NY, Chicago, Neapolitan.

St Louis pizza is an abomination.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Anywhere that sells Chef Boyardee pizza kits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to a Brooklyn Square place in NJ and you’ll taste what pizza is supposed to be.
View Quote

.....or, you can stay on the NY side of the river and actually eat pizza IN Brooklyn
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL...  It is almost as if people don't actually know what a casserole is, but heard someone else say deep dish is a casserole, so they say repeat it.  Sad.  

As a midwestern guy, here are a couple of key pointers to help you out (while ignoring the obvious combining and/or binding ingredients for most casseroles).

1. "Casseroles" (in the way being used) are usually (not always, but usually) cooked in a glass/ceramic "casserole dish".  Some folks do use Dutch Ovens, but that is a different story and then we get into MN Hot Dishes and stuff.  Deep dish pizza is never baked in a glass dish, that is key because the name "Casserole" isn't the meal, it is actually the name of the baking dish itself.

2. "Casseroles" usually do not have bottom and side crusts, and CANNOT ALWAYS SUPPORT THEMSELVES.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2019/2/19/0/KC2004_Deep-Dish-Pizza_s4x3.jpg
https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah/image/upload/SFS_chicago_deep_dish_pizza-16_cehf9d.jpg

Your gram-gram's famous tuna-cheese casserole would be a sloppy mess all over the table if not contained within the casserole (dish).
https://images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com/91f3ed81-39a5-48e3-933b-b89b437b1657.jpg

Hence, casseroles are served within the casserole (dish), deep dish pizza (which is not baked in a casserole) can be served in our out of the pan, depending on where you are getting it from. If it is take-out/delivery, it is obviously not coming with the pan.   If you are eating in, it could go either way depending on the location.  

You are welcome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This a Pizza thread not greasy casserole thread.

Quoted:

Greasy casserole is not Pizza

LOL...  It is almost as if people don't actually know what a casserole is, but heard someone else say deep dish is a casserole, so they say repeat it.  Sad.  

You are welcome.  

So what your saying is that Chicago style fails at being either pizza OR a casserole?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#16]
If your state has a pizza hut your state has the best pizza.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Much like chili ------------------- authentic pizza contains NO beans...!

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NOT Iowa. That pizza someone posted is an abortion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Many a pizza thread ago....  someone in Kansas said that a Chicago-area chain called Rosatis had just opened in their area and that it was the best pizza ever.  

Rosatis is the shittiest pizza of all the originated in Chicago chains.  Chicago's worst pizza is the best Pizza in Kansas.  That is how shitty your pizza is outside of Chicago and NY.

Most of my friends have moved out of Illinois.  They usually come to visit around Christmas time, and they all want to eat pizza, and they usually take a few home with them when they leave.  It is the only thing they miss.

View Quote
Rosati's was pretty good around 1978 when I worked there.

eta: There were only I believe 6 stores back then.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sooooo, it’s a quiche?

View Quote

Heck yeah!  I mean, it is only missing the two main ingredients that typically makes a quiche a quiche (eggs and usually cream)....but, outside of that....definitely!    

The key to good Chicago style deep dish is that it can't be TOO thick.  There is were a lot of places go wrong in thinking that is what the tourists want.  You end up with too much sauce and too much cheese, and just a soggy mess.  Because the cheese is under the marinara, the cheese does not brown and bubble like other styles, so it has to be set-up properly from jump.

Mmmmmm........

I also like Detroit deep dish. It has a very good crust when done correctly.    I wonder how many folks here realize that real Detroit pizza also puts its sauce on top (dollops or stripes), and  that it does not use Mozzarella (uses WI Brick instead)?  
Does not matter to me, I still call it pizza and is still taste good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Hawaii because the pineapple is fresh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Anywhere between Naples and San Remo. The older and more charred the wood burning pizza oven the better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The key to good Chicago style deep dish is that it can't be TOO thick.  There is were a lot of places go wrong in thinking that is what the tourists want.  You end up with too much sauce and too much cheese, and just a soggy mess.  Because the cheese is under the marinara, the cheese does not brown and bubble like other styles, so it has to be set-up properly from jump.
View Quote

I always assumed that they slopped the sauce on after cooking.... Otherwise, preventing the Maillard reaction by smothering the cheese with easily burned sugar sauce is so ignorant that it defies belief...
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm originally from PA, and there are some good places,
but anybody that seriously said PA makes the best pizza
are delusional.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had my first pizza in 1956 at Rudi's Italian Restaurant in Los Angeles. I don't remember what it tasted like, but it convinced me that pizza was the greatest food in the world. So, I'll say California.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/920/2b7370fa4d01ba6e256c7221508f8abe_jpg-2958529.JPG
View Quote

Got damn gramps. You old enough to be my great great grandpaw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Best Pizza In The World Is Not In New York City | Michael Franzese
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#27]
1. NY
2. CT
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hawaii.  Freshest pineapple.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Best pizza I've had was in St. Augustine FL
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#31]
The two best pizzas I ever et were in Oregon of all places.

The Flying Pie in Portland.  IIRC there are two or three locations in the greater Portland area.  Yeah, I know, Portland - yuck.  But this was about 15 years ago.

And a little place in Baker City owned by a guy who moved there from Newport, CA and opened a new pizza joint.  This was 25 years ago, I hope he make a go of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Seriously!!

Illinois
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
The best pizza I've had was at some coal/brick oven in NYC.

But salt, dough, flour sugar, water, yeast and 3 hours later. Plus my grill at 600F was some of the best pizza I've had to. Super simple recipe. For toppings crushed canned tomatoes, not too much, slices of fresh mozzarella and basil. That's it. I added some salt pepper and oregano before the cheese.

The only pizza I've ever had that you could talk me into flying just to get was in Washington DC. 12" style fresh cut pepperoni, with a sweet honey chilli drizzled on top with fresh basil.  It sounds odd but I ordered that pizza 3 days in a row and still want more. I need to figure out how to make that chilli oil.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
are delusional.

View Quote

Only SEPA has amazing pizza. Pizza everywhere else is serviceable but nothing worth blogging about.

I've been to NYC and Chicago. The pizza in NYC is good, but not worth the trouble of being in NYC. The pizza in Chicago can fuck straight off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#35]
OP mostly nails it.

NY/NJ owns pizza. Everywhere else is playing for 3rd place at best.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

South Austin Flying Pizza > Homeslice

Buffalina makes good pizza

Craig-O’s makes good pizza

Pieous makes good pizza

Bread bowl tomato pie sucks ass.

There was a dude that made excellent Detroit style pizza here, but unfortunately he moved back to Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Denying the superlative nature of NJ pizza and Italian bakery/deli sandwiches can only be based on ignorance or foolishness.

View Quote

I’m not even a fan of the area, but the truth of your words is evident.

When you walk into a sandwich shop with a pig head on the sign and a bunch of dudes arguing in Italian behind the counter, you’re probably getting a pretty good sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ohio

/thread
View Quote

This guy knows.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Only SEPA has amazing pizza. Pizza everywhere else is serviceable but nothing worth blogging about.

I've been to NYC and Chicago. The pizza in NYC is good, but not worth the trouble of being in NYC. The pizza in Chicago can fuck straight off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are delusional.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has some very good pizza, and Italian food in general,  due to the amount of Italian heritage people in the region.

It's one of the few redeeming qualities of the region

Disclaimer - Old Forge pizza sucks.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are delusional.

Yeah don't go further than 90-120 minutes from Philly and from the NJ state line. But there is a lot of good pizza places in SEPA.

Lots of very Italian sounding guys who would probably come over the counter and kick your ass, but will also give you the shirt off their back. They make great sandwiches and cheesesteaks too.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Surprisingly, they make bad ass pizza in Aruba.  Certainly better than a lot of places mentioned in this thread.  It’s not NYC or anything, but it was surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Monicals Pizza - Illinois. Sweet and tangy sauce and ranch on the salad
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#44]
The state of Youngstown has superior pizza.  

Youngstown is the pizza capital of the world.  It’s true, I have the T-shirt.

Lived in Pittsburgh for nine years, that qualifies as the worst.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The density of these places in North Jersey is remarkable.  Lodi, Edison, Jersey City, Bayonne, Kearny, Bloomfield, Bellville, etc, etc.  Just filled with outstanding Bakeries, delis and pizza joints.

The same is so of the number of truck-stop diners around Newark Airport and the Port of Elizabeth.  This was always the last stop for a meal for truckers driving into NYC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Denying the superlative nature of NJ pizza and Italian bakery/deli sandwiches can only be based on ignorance or foolishness.

I’m not even a fan of the area, but the truth of your words is evident.

When you walk into a sandwich shop with a pig head on the sign and a bunch of dudes arguing in Italian behind the counter, you’re probably getting a pretty good sandwich.

The density of these places in North Jersey is remarkable.  Lodi, Edison, Jersey City, Bayonne, Kearny, Bloomfield, Bellville, etc, etc.  Just filled with outstanding Bakeries, delis and pizza joints.

The same is so of the number of truck-stop diners around Newark Airport and the Port of Elizabeth.  This was always the last stop for a meal for truckers driving into NYC.

One of my son’s friend’s family has (had?) a legit deli right across a bridge from Philadelphia in NJ. My pic is from NYC of course, but your point is solid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I think this should probably be NY and NJ fighting each other. Any other state is just delusional. Fight me
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Weird.  I was gonna say Ohio has the best pizza.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the West Virginia coleslaw pizza is up there among the best pizzas in the country.
Weird.  I was gonna say Ohio has the best pizza.

There was a pizza restaurant in WV that was "famous" for putting the cheese on after the pizza was baked. It was fucking disgusting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
1. NY
2. Boston
3. Shitcago
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Definitely not MO
View Quote

Minsky's pizza
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top