User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a load of shit! The guy owns the land, he is not bothering anyone so why does the goberment feel the need to bother this guy? They should mind their own damn business and leave the people alone!

It's a creative eminent domain application? not getting enough revenue out of such a large piece of property?

This is what the 'curtain' looks like for Agenda 21.

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/CEDP-NRDP.html
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This type of shit will stop when there are consequences for their actions.

Until local people start standing up together, the gov(fed, state, local) will continue to run over us.

agreed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mixed feelings.  It sounded like he was running a summer camp for children.  If a log cabin crashed down on a bunch of kids during a windstorm because the cabin didn't meet building code he'd never be able to pay off the lawsuits.

Metorites, sinkholes, floods, locusts,bears,wolves...

Those are all Acts of Gods that you can't sue against.  In reality, meeting the rules protects your own ass.
Exactly, because if everything was to code and a wind storm blew it down and killed a bunch of kids, nobody would even consider filing a lawsuit.

The lawsuit would have less teeth, if any.

If an investigator (and yes it would be thoroughly investigated if a death occurred) found that the structure failed because it did not meet code, he would have been in deep doo-doo.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Must comply!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What a load of shit! The guy owns the land, he is not bothering anyone so why does the goberment feel the need to bother this guy? They should mind their own damn business and leave the people alone!

Nobody owns anything. The concept of property rights has almost been completely demolished. You are now in complete servitude to your government. (For example, try owning your house and land outright and not paying your property taxes).
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is a shot across the bow of anyone wanting to buy land and live "off the land"....gov't don't like that....

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Terrorist camp??
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until local people start standing up together, the gov(fed, state, local) will continue to run over us.

agreed.

Yup. It will continue as long as we allow it to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In for the drone strike.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dwc42f.jpg

In North Carolina, the County governments now have drones?  Man, I'm going to stay out of NC.

This is the county that shut this guy down, not the state or fed, right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Terrorist camp??

Label it as "Separatist, Supremacist, or Terrorist" and the world will stand behind you.

Take the Davidians, may not agree with them but they didn't need to be placed under Siege, Religious separatists.
Randy Weaver, Separatist.
etc etc etc....
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Agenda 21 at work.  Humans are parasites in the countryside.  Drive them to the cities.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In for the drone strike.

In North Carolina, the County governments now have drones?  Man, I'm going to stay out of NC.

This is the county that shut this guy down, not the state or fed, right?

That's what They want you to think. The county is just Their pawn, doing Their bidding.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is a shot across the bow of anyone wanting to buy land and live "off the land"....gov't don't like that....

Not exactly what was going on here.  He wasn't just living off the land with his family.  He was bringing in the general public, running a business, and housing them in structures that did not meet building codes.  He then advertised all of that TV.   Dumb move on his part.

If you are living off the land properly the government won't even know you are there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#14]
For those actually interested in discussion and not sensationalism, the WSJ article is far less filed with Derp.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324178904578340850547093268.html?mod=e2tw

Sounds like North Carolina needs a good review of its codes - and that nearly all camps would be in violation with current interpretations.  If any place peole sleep needs a bathroom, they've gone from suck to blow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#15]
feed the hogs.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Our Goverment would never do this, AND if they tried, the LEO would NEVER obey the commands to shut it down, or arrest the guy......

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that tv show he did got him some unwanted attention

Nothing good comes from the media.............ever.

It is like a pet rattle snake, you only think you control it, but someday, it'll bite you.

QFT. They are not on your side. They are on their own side and will use you to

further their own careers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1. I guess that whole TV show thing wasn't such a good idea now.

2. There's probably some scum bag developer behind his (problems).

Bet on it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder what connection the local Codes Enforcement Officer has to the local lumber mill / wholesaler?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Dammit, that's the county where I planned to buy land... May have to cross over to TN.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

In for the drone strike.

made me LuL

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He's preaching self reliance! We can't have that!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FINALLY

A man who has dedicated nearly 30 years to building and living off of his 500-acre farm is facing having his entire way of life shut down by the state government.
Eustace Conway, 51, who has been called ‘The Last Great American Man’ for his rustic way of living, could lose his camp in the Appalachian Mountains, his home for the past three decades.
The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina has found several health and sanitary violations in his encampment and has threatened to condemn the buildings.

Link

Finally?  Please explain OP?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He's preaching self reliance! We can't have that!

Nope, everyone must depend on Gov.
People tend not to bite the hand that feeds this way.

" Eye roll "

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I know someone who lives in the area and he told me a developer wants the land for summer homes for the rich and for a golf course. The developer and "friends" (investors) are putting pressure on the county politicians to get him off his land by coming up with BS rules and regualtions. If I remember correctly, this developer has already built some homes on the other side of the mountain where the guy lives, or close to him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Fucking horseshit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Did I hear him correctly? In his interview he said, "they" said his DOG HOUSE wasn't up to code?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And I seem to remember him selling and delivering some of his lumber commercially to raise money for back taxes. That's not private use. Running a "camp" open to the public? That's not private use. He's playing footsy with the demarcation of "living off the land on my homestead" and operating a commercial enterprise.

Many times we cause our own problems. He's poking a stick at the bear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not exactly what was going on here.  He wasn't just living off the land with his family.  He was bringing in the general public, running a business, and housing them in structures that did not meet building codes.  He then advertised all of that TV.   Dumb move on his part.

If you are living off the land properly the government won't even know you are there.

Hmm, lets see here, people were specifically coming to his property BECAUSE they know he built it by semi-primitive means with material from his own land.  You should be selling airshow tickets with all of the stuff flying over your head.

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been out to his place for one of his open houses , and I can tell you those buildings are stronger than my inspected house!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#32]
North Carolina is full of large hog and chicken fams as well as tobacco farms. Yet this is the most important thing they can do.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Fyi: if you are a prepper dont invite tv into your compound, nuff said
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Terrorist camp??

There are a few Mohammed loving training camps in rural America......well known they are heavily armed and trained and a fanatical group of people very likely to put jihad and other wacky religion above humanity.  I guarantee you the Health Department won't touch Red House, VA

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#35]
"Living Off the Grid", the US Government absolutely hates anyone that tries this.

First, it is an excuse for them to "Inspect" your property, Second, it allows them to cite you for "violations", Third, it gives them an excuse to "confiscate" your property for your "safety" & the betterment of society, Fourth, it gives them a "reason" to incarcerate you, for your own good.

They want you paying taxes on your income & the things you buy, they want you to be in debt with credit cards & financial institutions, they want to tax every aspect of your life. The US Government depends on this so they can rob you and re-distribute your hard earned pay.

Bottom Line: "Living Off the Grid", throws up a red flag. It's like giving crack to a hoodie, they're all over it. Reason, Common Sense, & Civil Rights be damned.

Get use to it, we've allowed it to happen. It will be near impossible to get the US Government Genie "Back-In-The-Bottle.

BOHICA Brothers
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I know someone who lives in the area and he told me a developer wants the land for summer homes for the rich and for a golf course. The developer and "friends" (investors) are putting pressure on the county politicians to get him off his land by coming up with BS rules and regualtions. If I remember correctly, this developer has already built some homes on the other side of the mountain where the guy lives, or close to him.

Doesn't surprise me one bit

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I seem to remember him selling and delivering some of his lumber commercially to raise money for back taxes. That's not private use. Running a "camp" open to the public? That's not private use. He's playing footsy with the demarcation of "living off the land on my homestead" and operating a commercial enterprise.

Many times we cause our own problems. He's poking a stick at the bear.

Cue the D9...  
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#39]
What is that 4 people who were on reality TV shows now who get F#$%^& by the Gov afterwards.  Let this be a lesson.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top