Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2024 8:05:11 PM EDT
A popular haircut known as 'The Edgar' has sparked a major backlash - with some restaurants and schools seeking to ban those who sport it.

The bowl-shaped style - which has been compared to a modern Moe of Three Stooges and Spock of Star Trek look - is typically favored by Mexican-American young men who are known as 'Edgars'.

But the trend is causing widespread division in Hispanic communities as locals increasingly link the haircut to crime, while others accuse critics of being racist.

Mikey Valdez, 18, has been identified as one of two shooters at a deadly shooting at Fiesta in San Antonio in April. Valdez was shot and killed by police who responded to the gun battle between Valdez and another man

Police arrest Mikey Valdez on April 10, 2024 in connection with a string of vehicle burglaries

In April, two gunmen rattled the city of San Antonio after opening fire at a popular festival and shooting five innocent bystanders, according to local authorities.

One of the suspects Mikey Valdez, 18, an 'Edgar', had just been let out of jail on unrelated car burglary charges and was killed alongside his accomplice by police who rushed in to protect the public.

Valdez and a second shooter 'had some sort of beef and decided to take it to Market Square, among all those people,' Police Chief William McManus stated after the shooting.

Following the melee, local restaurateur Ricky Ortiz posted a meme with a 'no Edgars' sign on social media, suggesting he did not want anyone with this haircut in his popular restaurants El Camino, Besame, Ay Que Chula and Perfect Tender.

'Fiesta commission needs to fence the whole thing off, charge a cover, and have a no Edgar policy,' Ortiz said of the organizers of the event Valdez targeted.

'A good chunk of the people in this city are absolute [trash can emoji]. Make it unaffordable for them to even attend.'

But Ortiz's comments received pushback in the majority Hispanic community, with some San Antonio residents accusing him of being a racist.

'Imagine discriminating [against] your customers,' Instagram user @allsold0ut wrote, according to San Antonio Current.

'Lol, you live in "Edgar" city. This is a new form of racism.'

But Ortiz, a first-generation American of Mexican parents, defended his comments.

'People accusing me of racism are speaking from a place of ignorance,' he told the local publication.

'They don't want to acknowledge or admit that the majority of the kids that are getting these haircuts want to be in a culture influenced by gang affiliation and things like that.'

He is not alone, with the anti-Edgar movement spreading to other cities as well.  

In El Paso, students led an effort to get the style banned from Riverside High School in 2021.

Despite gathering dozens of signatures, a ban was not forthcoming - but the initiative triggered a widespread debate about the new fad.

'Especially in El Paso, we've had a lot of crimes that were committed by people who just happened to have this same hair cut, said the administrator of El Paso's most popular Instagram account, @therealfitfamElPaso, who asked to remain anonymous.

'Where we are now, we just kind of correlate these guys to be bad dudes, even though there's plenty of good dudes with the same cut.'

In a recent post about a shooting, the administrator of the social media page posted the jail booking photo of the suspect, sporting the 'Edgar'.

Comments included 'of course he has an Edgar cut,' and 'haircut adds up.'

Riverside High School students in El Paso led a failed attempt to ban the Edgar from their campus in 2021

The Edgar trend started showing up in 2019 and gained popularity during the pandemic, @therealfitfamElPaso's creator explained.

The style is believed to have gotten its nickname from Major League Baseball player Edgar Martínez, a former Seattle Mariners player, according to aol.com.

A young client asked a barber to etch the player's likeness onto the back of his head in a video that went viral.

Still, others argue the look has Native American roots - specifically the Jumano tribe that lived in the Lone Star State between 1500s and 1700s.

'The haircut and aesthetic could be read as resisting Western notions of beauty or style,' Sonya M. Alemán, associate professor in race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality studies at the University of Texas at San Antonio told the Dallas Morning News.

Regardless of its origin, it's unclear if the controversial hair style is a dying trend or here to stay.

One barber Carlos Flores, 19, in Kyle, Texas, said he averages about seven requests for 'Edgar' haircuts a day from young Mexican-American men in Central Texas.

'There’s not a day that doesn’t go by that I don’t do an ‘Edgar haircut’, he told NBC News.

More
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The san antonio sub redit banned the word edgar to describe someone... kinda like the d-n word.  Lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn’t Dr Octopus sport that cut?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What a stupid looking haircut, seen it, but didn't know it had a name.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait was that Lloyd from dumb and dumber?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude in the first photo looks just like my favorite waiter at my favorite local Tex-Mex joint.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
They should ban it because it looks terrible
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]

This?  

The bowl cut?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
“Hippies” finally getting a break! LOL!??
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
They look like mexican Uncle Festers

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I see that haircut on a daily basis and do not understand it.  

It belongs on someone living in a Dark Ages priory that gets murdered by Vikings.

EDIT

Still, others argue the look has Native American roots - specifically the Jumano tribe that lived in the Lone Star State between 1500s and 1700s.

'The haircut and aesthetic could be read as resisting Western notions of beauty or style,' Sonya M. Alemán, associate professor in race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality studies at the University of Texas at San Antonio told the Dallas Morning News.
View Quote

Zero point zero percent of the retards that get this hair cut have heard of that tribe, or know any goddamn thing about Texas in the 1500s-1700s

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Get Shorty movie. I think Yayo had one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]

ETA beat
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should ban it because it looks terrible
View Quote
Yep, only a chode yodeler would actually want that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Edgar cut is super popular here as well with the yutes, along with the broccoli cut. 100% shitbag
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I see it on occasion on some hispanic youths but more so on the eastern european youths in the area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
So Moe is banned?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't say I've really noticed that one. Around here it's all the broccoli boy haircut faggotry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Immigration is our strength.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ll be honest. At least it’s not the standard curly hair over the forehead cut I see on every kid 13-25 right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
British Civil War buffs?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Electric Callboy - WE GOT THE MOVES (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I've never seen one of those
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#24]
We're scared of haircuts now?  WTF?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Very common at the local high school although a little more extreme.

A lot of kids with curly hair have it shaved on the sides and back with a long poodle broccoli-like poof on the top that often extends over their forehead and shaved sides and back.

It looks ridiculous but it has nothing to do with being identified as a criminal.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like our local Amish folks here in Holmes County.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I love Texas.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
The fuck does a stupid haircut have to do with criminality??!!?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Edgar cut is super popular here as well with the yutes, along with the broccoli cut. 100% shitbag
View Quote

This. Definitely a thing around here that someone with that hair is likely a criminal.

ETA: or wannabe posing as a thug.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#31]
It's just a funky bowl cut, isn't it? It has always been a joke, although it isn't as gay as the broccoli fro (fr fr no cap)
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What a stupid looking haircut, seen it, but didn't know it had a name.
View Quote

Yep, me either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We're scared of haircuts now?  WTF?
View Quote

No silly.   It’s the murder and robbery associated with it.   Nobody cared when it was literally choir boys, Amish and Autists.

rtfa it’s all explained.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Every minor male in El Paso that has tattoo's on their twig arms also has an edgar.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a dumbass haircut for sure. But it's usually worn by a bunch young takuache's who's only crime
is being young morons with loud and often slow trucks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Raciss
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The Edgar cut’s a hot look for unemployed Gen Zers just hanging out at Starbucks for the free WiFi.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wait was that Lloyd from dumb and dumber?
View Quote

This should have been the first response.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, the 80s kid home haircut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
"'The haircut and aesthetic could be read as resisting Western notions of beauty or style,' Sonya M. Alem n, associate professor in race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality studies at the University of Texas at San Antonio told the Dallas Morning News."

It's always funny when some college egghead tries to apply a deep meaning to some stupid social trend.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#43]
So anyone who looks like an extra from Sicario...

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Doesn’t Dr Octopus sport that cut?
View Quote

yep

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's a dumbass haircut for sure. But it's usually worn by a bunch young takuache's who's only crime
is being young morons with loud and often slow trucks.
View Quote

Shit, 1/2 the booking photos here are of Edgars. When we don't know their names, we call them Edgar. They all respond to it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
In the San Antonio area if you have an Edgar you are a turd or want to be a turd. I haven't seen anyone yet with that haircut who doesn't have that vibe oozing out of them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Unless they have one of those super tall, oversculpted afros, I don’t think I’ve really noticed someone’s hair.  I’ve seen people with that or similar haircuts, but I never paid it any attention or knew it had a name.  I just call it a kind of bowl cut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#48]
How does the Edgar compare with dreads?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#50]
That's the "Mark Davis", owner of the Las Vegas Raiders... I'll spare you all the trauma of his horrific image..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top