Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2023 4:42:01 PM EDT

It is one of the few ultra large scale explosions filmed from multiple angles and also in an urban setting.

At about 2 kilotons, this blast is still smaller than a smaller atomic blast like the Hiroshima bomb. (15-20 kilotons)  but it gives us a taste of what a man portable nuclear device could do. (It is said that “Suitcase nukes” could have yields as high as 2-5 kilotons).

To put into perspective the scale of even a 1 kiloton blast….that is almost 1000 MOABs.

The first part of this is an angle I have not seen. The white building is just disintegrating right before the blast hits the camera.

https://x.com/alphafox78/status/1740575037177188520?s=46&t=dWZPf-MKwVcPjAxwWYmM0A
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
In all the videos I've seen of that explosion I'm always surprised that nobody seems to take cover from the incoming pressure wave. People are fucking clueless, especially in Beirut apparently
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In all the videos I've seen of that explosion I'm always surprised that nobody seems to take cover from the incoming pressure wave. People are fucking clueless, especially in Beirut apparently
View Quote

normalcy bias is a bitch
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Bovine flatulence and globular warming is real (eye keeed).
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It was fascinating to see how much destruction could be unleashed this day and age in a city from a single explosion, if only on the docks.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It certainly is good training for doing the needful.    “Don’t stand there Gawking, duck and Cover!!!”    

The thing is, we aren’t genetically adapted for Large explosions.   Our every instinct is to Look and See.     I’m not 100% certain I would duck in time, even after seeing hundreds of videos.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What was the death toll?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did see one guy filming from a jet-ski.  He dove in the water as soon as the blast occurred.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I still think that dock explosion is still fucking over Lebanon to this very day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did see one guy filming from a jet-ski.  He dove in the water as soon as the blast occurred.
View Quote

Ed, Edd n Eddy [S4E04] An Ed Is Born - " MAN THE HELMS! DIVE! DIVE!"
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Mossad/someone inside job or just an accident?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you’re familiar with blast waves, I think the typical person seeing something at that scale will be a bit mesmerized, the brain not quite registering what it’s seeing on what’s otherwise meant to be a very normal, mundane day. 1980s Beirut was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
What did they blame that one on?

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know the impact of it being on the water front vs a similar sized event happening on land?

I would assume the water would absorb some of the energy but would it redirect it, especially since the area was relatively open and flat before getting into the city/buildings?

Edit- Pretty good basic overview of the blast.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2021.657996/full
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Blast?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Physics can be hard to grasp. For me anyway.

Amazing how fast a body can go from seemingly sitting still in a car, and then in the blink of an eye be out the windshield.

Or toss a bullet to someone vs shooting it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Need a few of those in Gaza.
Quoted:
View Quote

I've asked friends who worked in the ME/SW Asia about certain behaviors, or lack of certain behaviors when it comes to the locals... Their typical response is usually, "yeah, they aren't really all that bright."
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know the impact of it being on the water front vs a similar sized event happening on land?

I would assume the water would absorb some of the energy but would it redirect it, especially since the area was relatively open and flat before getting into the city/buildings?
View Quote

Think it was a warehouse.

How many casualties?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Water does not absorb it. It will redirect it though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How many casualties?
View Quote

Not enough.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The people in Beirut are clueless?

How much money, time and effort did the US spend to get the message through to our population about the need to drop and take cover during the Cold War?

And, how many, today, would have the reaction to do so?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they did the duck and cover we would not have the footage we do thus we could not talk about it to the degree we get too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What did they blame that one on?

View Quote

The number-one cause of Soviet nuclear submarine losses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How many casualties?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many casualties?

Yeah, it was a warehouse. I should've said "in the city/urban center" instead of "land." I was originally misremembered and was thinking the blast came from a ship, like the older port explosions.

Directly from the blast, about 220 dead and 6,500 injured.
Longterm health issues from toxic exposure could be anywhere from a few hundred thousand upto ~2.5million.

Quoted:

Water does not absorb it. It will redirect it though.

Thanks. My quick google search wasn't very successful at finding a good comparison model.
I was assuming the blast energy would compress the water somewhat but thinking about it now, it would mainly be moving horizontally, and therefore, at most just clipping the tops of the waves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, that was incredible in terms of scale and scope. Never seen anything like it. Really did seem like a nuke going off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is one of the few ultra large scale explosions filmed from multiple angles and also in an urban setting.

At about 2 kilotons, this blast is still smaller than a smaller atomic blast like the Hiroshima bomb. (15-20 kilotons)  but it gives us a taste of what a man portable nuclear device could do. (It is said that “Suitcase nukes” could have yields as high as 2-5 kilotons).

To put into perspective the scale of even a 1 kiloton blast….that is almost 1000 MOABs.

The first part of this is an angle I have not seen. The white building is just disintegrating right before the blast hits the camera.

https://x.com/alphafox78/status/1740575037177188520?s=46&t=dWZPf-MKwVcPjAxwWYmM0A
View Quote

7th August 2020, 12:05 PDT EPA/TONY VRAILAS/MARINETRAFFIC.COM The MV Rhosus arrived at the port in 2013 carrying 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate Lebanon's government has blamed the huge blast that...
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vodka?

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Vodka?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vodka?

Welding.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Heading to Times Square now. Whichever semi the Texas sheriff's officers missed yesterday when they were tearing up an empty trailer...
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair, that thing goes from "There's a fire on the other side of town" to "I'm exploded" in about 2-3 seconds for most of them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

*ahem*

August 4 2020 Beirut port explosion compilation

Moral of the story: STOP LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW AT EXPLOSIONS!
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What was the death toll?
View Quote

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWHAT??eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Because F* YOUR EARDRUMS!!!! WHAT!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE÷EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH WHAT?!?!?!? MBMMMBMOOMBMABAMBMAMAMEMA.MMMM.MMM. WHAT? WHAT?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The average person probably doesn’t know what a pressure wave is.  Only some of us lucky few have been around explosions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Forensic Architecture put together a 12 minute video based on documents, video, photos from inside the warehouse before it went up, etc.
There were other things in the warehouse that by modern safety standards, should not have been.
Fireworks were the obvious, 5 rolls of slow det cord, tires, etc.

The Beirut Port Explosion (English)

I would have dumped it in the Med, but they seemed to think there was some value in it, to keep it there.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The average person probably doesn’t know what a pressure wave is.  Only some of us lucky few have been around explosions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, you're saying you're braindamaged?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Forensic Architecture put together a 12 minute video based on documents, video, photos from inside the warehouse before it went up, etc.
There were other things in the warehouse that by modern safety standards, should not have been.
Fireworks were the obvious, 5 rolls of slow det cord, tires, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQ60wNgKrQ

I would have dumped it in the Med, but they seemed to think there was some value in it, to keep it there.

Jay
View Quote

Thanks, that was a fascinating video.

They said only about HALF the bags went off?!?!

Also, wow, that warehouse was like a bad looney tunes joke. "How can we possibly make this storage setup more wrong."
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might be!  Used to work at a chemical plant that made a product nicknamed “Load and Explode”.  Management even admitted it was a pretty clever nickname.   Fortunately we didn’t make it for very long since customers weren’t impressed with 55 gallon drums  blowing up in their warehouses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#40]
that'll get your attention for sure
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
That blast is an example of a high order detonation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#42]
That's an impressive compilation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Texas City Disaster

Shit tons of ammonium nitrate is no joke.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sorry but you're being a bit unrealistic with your expectations. Unless you have actual experience in dealing with a particular situation it takes a person's brain a few moments to process what's going on and make sense of it. 99.99% of the world doesn't have experience in dealing with large explosions, and certainly nothing like that. The time between the explosion and pressure wave in the opening shot of that video was around 2 seconds max. I'm sure you would have Supermanned your ass out of the area and to safety in less time though.

In other words,

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm curious how it compared in magnitude to the Texas City explosion of the same type. 2100 metric tons of ammonium nitrate in that one in 1947.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm curious how it compared in magnitude to the Texas City explosion of the same type. 2100 metric tons of ammonium nitrate in that one in 1947.
View Quote

My mother felt, a good jolt, the Texas City one, over 20 miles away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people going around their daily business that have never been exposed to HE  going off and seen a pressure wave would not know what they were even seeing until it was too late.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The people in Beirut are clueless?

How much money, time and effort did the US spend to get the message through to our population about the need to drop and take cover during the Cold War?

And, how many, today, would have the reaction to do so?
View Quote

Pffffft.
Saw a documentary where a guy on a motorcycle outran a small nuclear explosion:
Chain Reaction (1/3) Movie CLIP - Outrunning the Explosion (1996) HD
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I think the one in beirut was 2,700
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Thankfully it was ANFO like e.g. ~ 3000m/s rather than PETN like ~ 9000m/s.  The tell for ANFO like explosives is the orange cloud of NOx gas.  

Theres a good read on it here NIH paper on Beirut incident.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top