Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm hoping another lot of c&r BHPs shows up this year
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a true fan of the classic browning designs, I have never shot a High Power. Always wanted one for the styling and elegant lines, any suggestions for a budget model one could get into HP's with?
View Quote

Check GB for an Israeli trade in, CDIsales has a bunch for around $469.  For around $250 you could probably find a Kareen or FEG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Best pointing, best shooting and most accurate semi auto pistol I have fired. It runs like a thoroughbred as well, just as reliable as my Glocks and just as much capacity for the size (it is actually smaller than a G19 in several dimensions).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I own this clone.

And some REAL ones.

The nice thing is, they all shoot well.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few more. First pistol I ever owned was a HP and still feels the best of all the 9mm I have tried.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to take some good pics of this thing.

'']

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I never mentioned plastic, but that's certainly a proven material that reduces weight quite a bit, as well as production cost.  And most modern guns of similar size are of higher magazine capacity.  And feed ramps with modern hollowpoints in mind, and an accessory rail.

I own a BHP, but it's like a 1950's car.   Cool to look at, but when you're used to power steering and air conditioning, the 1950's car loses a lot of it's initial glamour and is not as nice a daily driver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sort of like a classic 50's car.   Looks cool, but there are much better choices for daily drivers out there now.

How is a modern, reliable handgun better than an older design, reliable handgun? Because it's plastic? That's an opinion.

I never mentioned plastic, but that's certainly a proven material that reduces weight quite a bit, as well as production cost.  And most modern guns of similar size are of higher magazine capacity.  And feed ramps with modern hollowpoints in mind, and an accessory rail.

I own a BHP, but it's like a 1950's car.   Cool to look at, but when you're used to power steering and air conditioning, the 1950's car loses a lot of it's initial glamour and is not as nice a daily driver.

A Beretta 92FS is just a double stack Walther P38 with more slide.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Bestest Service 9mm: 1935 until the 1980s.

Most ergonomic pistol until adjustable backstraps became commonplace.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Love mine. Carries better than a 1911
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought one of those FN Hi Powers with the SFS system new, and put a couple of boxes of 9mm through it. I liked the gun but was lukewarm on the SFS concept. I stupidly sold it to fund another purchase.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I especially liked how the hammer bite turned the web of my hand into a bloody mess.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]

With the C&S wide trigger (removes the mag safety), hard sear and hammer, the trigger is excellent at 4.5 pounds.
The Novak sights round it out nicely.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sort of like a classic 50's car.   Looks cool, but there are much better choices for daily drivers out there now.

How is a modern, reliable handgun better than an older design, reliable handgun? Because it's plastic? That's an opinion.

Huh? It is true there is no rail, if that is important to you. It is also a bit weighty, which actually helps the shooter.  As for the rest, you couldn't be more wrong.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Since all 3 are mentioned here in this thread.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my MkIII; it's reliable with everything I've tried in it and super accurate.  Everyone I've let shoot it liked it and shot it well too.  I swap it out for the 1911 and carry it on occasion.  

For those whining about the mag capacity, Mec-gar makes flush fitting fifteen round mags as well as twenty round mags that are both reliable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]
My 1992 FN Hi-Power MkIII as issued (Israeli Contract, no FPS) Not import marked.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Too bad the trigger pull has cancer.  Even if you remove the disconnect, the reset still has teh AIDS.  If only JMB or his euro butt boy had used the 1911 trigger.
View Quote

Maybe Apex can make a ......

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll give you the ergos, hi-powers do handle well. Everything else is unremarkable for the price tag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't have a poll choice of: massively over priced for a lower capacity semi-reliable 9mm handgun with a mediocre single action trigger.

Is it hard living with so much fail and AIDS?

Does reality make you sad?

Far from reality.  Nothing wrong with a single action trigger, not to mention fine ergonomics, excellent reliability, thin grip profile, and 15 rd aftermarket mags. Your fail is your burden, not mine.

I'll give you the ergos, hi-powers do handle well. Everything else is unremarkable for the price tag.

You can buy crusty trusty BHP's from Aim every now and again.

I have one that is so beat to shit that I originally bought it intending to strip it down and refinish it with a modern coating, but it is so reliable and pleasurable to shoot I'm afraid that if I change anything, I'll ruin what is a fantastic little gun.

That said, you forgot to mention how much softer the recoil is from the BHP than from anything else. Every other 9mm pistol has a bit more snap than the gentle push of the BHP. It's like shooting a 22lr and the only pistol that I have no reservations of handing a newer shooter thinking they'll get scared by the recoil.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
whoohoo! pitcher thread1

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I love Hi-Powers; but they are certainly more maintenance intensive than a modern polymer pistol.  The only thing they have left going for them is slimness and great ergonomics.  In every other way, they are like a 1967 Camaro - sexy and beautiful to look at; but likely to get its ass kicked by a modern sedan.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My 1969 C-Series H-P.

My favorite H-P is a clone....Argentine FM....Great shooter. I replaced the spur with a round hammer.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone has to have a GIF of Sean Connery shooting the German soldier in A Bridge Too Far.

I looked and can't find anything!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You don't have a poll choice of: massively over priced for a lower capacity semi-reliable 9mm handgun with a mediocre single action trigger.
View Quote
you mean for 400?

i can get an isreali trade in for 350-400 at my lgs right now
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a huge fan of the HP's.  So I'll admit to some bias.

I've got 4 of these things from1969 through 1994 and put many thousands of rounds through them.  Never...not once, a misfeed or malfunction with any kind of ammo;  FMJ or HP.  So reliability is one of its strongest attributes.

I will admit that the trigger needs some work to improve.  The only issue I've had is with the trigger reset.  Even with an upgraded return spring, I've had a few issues when shooting in competition and trying to get really quick follow-up shots off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All of which can be remedied if FN would put some work into it.  Even a bad BHP trigger is more likely to be better than a 3rd Gen Smith, Sig or Beretta.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate the classic lines and history, but as a shooter, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired compared to modern designs.

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/3hps.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/3hps.jpg</a>

All of which can be remedied if FN would put some work into it.  Even a bad BHP trigger is more likely to be better than a 3rd Gen Smith, Sig or Beretta.

Got to disagree here.  I've owned and worked on some bad (read:factory) BHP triggers and the SA mode of the 3 you mentioned are far, far more usable than a heavy BHP trigger.  The last MkIII I worked with had a 10 lb pull until I removed the mag disco, which dropped it down to 9 pounds.  The last one I looked at buying, a beat up surplus MkIII from AIM, had a pull about the same.  Even when they've been fully worked over, the reset is long and weak.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I appreciate the classic lines and history, but as a shooter, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired compared to modern designs.

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/3hps.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/3hps.jpg</a>
View Quote

please elaborate the BHP  is vastly superior to the beretta which is no crappy pistol, the only place a BHP has been surpassed is in weight and mag size most of the time a BHPwill be slimmer than the wondernine as far as trigger a high powers trigger is great compared to any clunky striker fired pistol.  and it is much easier to field strip and clean than any modern polymer gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

please elaborate the BHP  is vastly superior to the beretta which is no crappy pistol, the only place a BHP has been surpassed is in weight and mag size most of the time a BHPwill be slimmer than the wondernine as far as trigger a high powers trigger is great compared to any clunky striker fired pistol.  and it is much easier to field strip and clean than any modern polymer gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In trigger pull alone the 92 whips the MkIII and with the use of a D spring, blows away any factory HP.   The HP is slimmer but you pay for that in other ways, namely frame life (with forged frame), tight ass magwell with slow reloads and grips that twist around a single screw unless very well bedded.

There are any number of modern guns that take down as fast as, or faster than the HP so that is a wash.  I have several plastic fantastic striker guns with triggers that are far superior to anything but maybe a Yost or CS HP, and even then, I bet the reset would still be better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I hate mine.  It cried about Novak's until I sent it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In trigger pull alone the 92 whips the MkIII and with the use of a D spring, blows away any factory HP.   The HP is slimmer but you pay for that in other ways, namely frame life (with forged frame), tight ass magwell with slow reloads and grips that twist around a single screw unless very well bedded.

There are any number of modern guns that take down as fast as, or faster than the HP so that is a wash.  I have several plastic fantastic striker guns with triggers that are far superior to anything but maybe a Yost or CS HP, and even then, I bet the reset would still be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where you got all of these HPs with shit triggers from. Mine is better than my 1911 in all but reset IMO. Nothing stock striker fired has a prayer of coming close to it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Like it, but it's no CZ-75.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't know where you got all of these HPs with shit triggers from. Mine is better than my 1911 in all but reset IMO. Nothing stock striker fired has a prayer of coming close to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One was brought to me by a friend due to its rigoddamndiculous pull.  The other was on a shelf at a shop, though I concede the likelihood that it was only still there due to its insanely crappy pull.   What does yours gauge at?   The ones I own were around 6-7 lbs unmodified.  I was able to get my FEG to about 4.5 with spring adjustment and sear stoning.  With a good hard sear and something like Warner's true radius jig, things will go a bit better.

Other used guns I've handled in shops tended to range from 7 to 5 lbs, as a half assed estimate.  This includes a Capitan model that was virtually NIB, which I owned briefly recently.  I haven't handled many new HPs lately because who wants to pay $900 for one?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

One was brought to me by a friend due to its rigoddamndiculous pull.  The other was on a shelf at a shop, though I concede the likelihood that it was only still there due to its insanely crappy pull.   What does yours gauge at?   The ones I own were around 6-7 lbs unmodified.  I was able to get my FEG to about 4.5 with spring adjustment and sear stoning.  With a good hard sear and something like Warner's true radius jig, things will go a bit better.

Other used guns I've handled in shops tended to range from 7 to 5 lbs, as a half assed estimate.  This includes a Capitan model that was virtually NIB, which I owned briefly recently.  I haven't handled many new HPs lately because who wants to pay $900 for one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll put a gauge on it and let you know. It is definitely lighter than any other pistols I have fired (admittedly, probably only a dozen different types). More importantly, it breaks the cleanest. It is a beat to shit Izzy surplus FN MK3.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As a true fan of the classic browning designs, I have never shot a High Power. Always wanted one for the styling and elegant lines, any suggestions for a budget model one could get into HP's with?
View Quote

GunBroker
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Its a shame mecgar can't make a run on 17 or 18 round flush mags when they can jam 17 rounds in a SW 5906 and 18 in a Beretta , 18 in a Sig 226
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Missing from the pole is "It would have been a great design, but doesn't come in .45 ACP"
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:02:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed

FEG clone
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I do greatly prefer the ones with the round hole commander style hammers. Too much meat on my thumb webs...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The BHP is a good pistol, but it has been eclipsed by modern guns. It'd be cool if FN made one with a rail, though. I carried one for awhile, but it was a tad heavy. I now prefer my G19 that has had a grip reduction. It's lighter and has a better trigger. I will not get rid of my BHP, though. It's a beautiful classic that will still get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I love the Hi-Power but the mag safety and three-step trigger system are abominations. I have never owned or shot a Hi-Power that had a better trigger than pretty much any modern service pistol, except maybe the M&P. Feels great in the hand, trigger sucks. Just like the M&P. Actually, now that I think about it, the M&P is really nothing more than a modern Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#42]
BHPs are great. I want one later on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#43]
The mag safety can be removed, so that's a non-issue. As for the trigger pull, well, even after some work, it's still not that great. However, if you shoot it enough, you will get used to it. The biggest gripe I had is the weight and lack of rail for a light. My BHP had been super reliable and shoots well, which is why I will keep it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

BHPs are great. I want one later on right now.
View Quote

Fixed.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#45]
For those that say the trigger sucks.  You don't know what your are doing.  It not that hard to get a 4-5lb trigger with no creep and crisp break.  Only thing you can't get rid of too much is the take up and reset.

This one is my best shooting HP.  Stupid easy to hit what you are aiming at.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fixed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BHPs are great. I want one later on right now.

Fixed.

Good fix.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Bought an FN off the EE last Fall.  Nothing fancy, a surplus 1977 'C' w/ a new parkerized finish.  Replaced the springs with new Browning springs and bought 4 more Mecgar mags.  1.5K rounds later, I decided it will REQUIRE new sights.  The 1/2 moon and notched rear are too much for these old eyes.

It will be going to Novak soon.

But love this gun.
Easy to shoot, accurate, and very little recoil.  It just feels like a part of my hand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#48]

That's a great pic!  I own a G19 and a CZ75B stainless, high polish.  I have shot a BHP but don't own one yet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#49]
My MKIII shoots straight.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#50]
My Father brought this 1964mfg. T-series back from Vietnam as a "War Trophy" in 1972. It was taken off a VC Infiltrator at Tan Son Nhut Air Base who no longer had any use for it. This BHP sports a Chinese re-blue on the metal and varnish on the grips and came with one "JI" marked magazine. It was also the first handgun I ever shot.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top