Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BSG was awesome ... right up to the completely idiotic ending that ruined the entire show.
View Quote
I was expecting that exact ending from the very beginning.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEENk6_XFoA

IT WAS JUST ANNOUNCED A FEW DAY'S AGO SEASON 5 CONFIRMED  
View Quote
The Expanse is the best and this is the best news I've had all week.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
BSG, Firefly, Babylon 5, and Space Above and Beyond.........All better than The Expanse.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

GeeDubs has licensed it out to the production studio that made Man in the High Tower.  Yes, it's still possible for them to SJW it up or screw it up with lazy writing...etc. but I have guardedly high expectations.
View Quote
I just don’t see how you do the wh40k universe justice in a live action series without an unprecedented cgi budget. Everything in wh40k is just so large in scale, elaborate, or alien. It would have a better chance as an animated series in my opinion.

Not to mention they picked the most complex (and best) series of novels to bring to the screen. No way they pull this off, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

...laughs in Babylon 5...
View Quote
sure, if you like a hundred plot lines and plot devices that go no where, along with a constant poorly explained change in characters so constant that the made it part of the show.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSG was awesome ... right up to the completely idiotic ending that ruined the entire show.
I swear I'm the only one that liked the ending.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I watching it for the second time, and it is much better the second time. I thought it was awesome the first time.

They paid attention to even the small details.

Amos is by far my favorite character, he nailed it perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I liked the shit out of Altered Carbon. I think they're apples and oranges though.
View Quote
Agreed. I loved AC until I read the books. They butchered some very significant portions of the books, mainly the origin of the envoys.

I still like AC a lot, but if I had read the books first I probably would have been let down a lot.

I’ve been reading the Expanse books (just started Abaddon’s Gate), and so far the series has done a much better job of sticking to the books.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Agreed. I loved AC until I read the books. They butchered some very significant portions of the books, mainly the origin of the envoys.

I still like AC a lot, but if I had read the books first I probably would have been let down a lot.

I’ve been reading the Expanse books (just started Abaddon’s Gate), and so far the series has done a much better job of sticking to the books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the shit out of Altered Carbon. I think they're apples and oranges though.

The only thing I didn't like about the TV adaptation is the added crew drama in the first season.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The books are outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The only thing I didn't like about the TV adaptation is the added crew drama in the first season.
View Quote
I felt like they missed the mark a bit on Miller’s character. Don’t get me wrong, Jane played a good Miller, but in the show they downplayed how washed out and broken he was. One of the best Miller character development moments in the book is when his new partner breaks it to him that he’s the laughing stock of Star Helix, and she got partnered with him as a punishment for turning down the advances of her supervisor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I felt like they missed the mark a bit on Miller’s character. Don’t get me wrong, Jane played a good Miller, but in the show they downplayed how washed out and broken he was. One of the best Miller character development moments in the book is when his new partner breaks it to him that he’s the laughing stock of Star Helix, and she got partnered with him as a punishment for turning down the advances of her supervisor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yeah, good point. I agree he did a good job overall though.

My statement above was in reference to the crew trying to pull the XO away from the camera when he blames Mars for shooting down the ship...just a lot of added yelling a screaming for no reason.

With that said, I think they pretty much nailed the casting of that character, which isn't a good thing. Holden is annoying in the books and also annoying in the show

But IMO if those are the biggest gripes I have, that means it's a pretty solid show because those are pretty minor things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I rolled my eyes so hard at BSG when half the crew turned out to be secret amnesiac Cylons and they went all metaphysical with Starbuck.  BSG seasons 1, 2, and first half of 3 were arguably the best sci-fi ever, but the back to nature ending was just the poop flavored icing on the shitcake that was the whole second half of the series.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just don’t see how you do the wh40k universe justice in a live action series without an unprecedented cgi budget. Everything in wh40k is just so large in scale, elaborate, or alien. It would have a better chance as an animated series in my opinion.

Not to mention they picked the most complex (and best) series of novels to bring to the screen. No way they pull this off, unfortunately.
View Quote
I completely agree with the first part of your post.

But the second part is way off.  Eisenhorn is almost a rugged detective type of story so it'll be much MUCH easier to make a show about it than say something during the HH or infinite campaigns in 40k era.  Eisenhorn normally travels with a small crew in a small ship.   Most other stories in 40k universe will require whole chapters of Astartes, constant huuuuuuuuge battles with all sorts of xenos or chaos.  Sure there are some bigass battles in Eisenhorns trilogy but none early on so the show has a chance to sink or swim before those giant budget busters.  As GOT showed us, giant supernatural battles don't have to suck (completely separate from the godawful story)
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Its very good.

I don't think it is better than BSG
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then Game of thrones said "Hold my beer"
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a bad twilight zone rip off.
View All Quotes
Yeah, you're right. Sci Fi writers like Harlan Ellison are worthless, no talent hacks, who were so shallow they had to steal ideas from The Twilight Zone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Not as good as the Stargate franchise, but it's the best thing out now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#20]
it is a great show but it cannot be probably judged until it is finished which won't be for a few years hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I completely agree with the first part of your post.

But the second part is way off.  Eisenhorn is almost a rugged detective type of story so it'll be much MUCH easier to make a show about it than say something during the HH or infinite campaigns in 40k era.  Eisenhorn normally travels with a small crew in a small ship.   Most other stories in 40k universe will require whole chapters of Astartes, constant huuuuuuuuge battles with all sorts of xenos or chaos.  Sure there are some bigass battles in Eisenhorns trilogy but none early on so the show has a chance to sink or swim before those giant budget busters.  As GOT showed us, giant supernatural battles don't have to suck (completely separate from the godawful story)
View Quote
I was thinking more in lines with the vast number of worlds and locations the Eisenhorn series spans, but I definitely see your point.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was thinking more in lines with the vast number of worlds and locations the Eisenhorn series spans, but I definitely see your point.
View Quote
ahh, ya most of season 1 will be that planet in the opening scenes, and on Gudrun which seems like a pretty moderate forest kinda world (outside of the cities).  Shouldn't be too hard.

If they do season 1 right, budgets should get upped considerably for future seasons, cuz ya youre right, once shit gets real it will be expensive!

I really hope they do an episode on the Missing in Action short story between the real books.  Couldn't believe how hard that one got to me with the retired Guardsmen/women with PTSD thing.  But I don't know if I like the idea of the show turning into a "monster/enemy of hte week" kinda deal like Supernatural used to do lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
mmm....Gunny. #thiccthighssavelives

Drummer is a very, very close second.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish they could make Naomi resemble the book character more, but that's pretty much impossible.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
BSG set the bar very,very high.
The Expanse is one of the better series I've seen, but damn the SJW content in it. It's almost presented in a way that makes it laughable. Not only presents a gay couple, but biracial, too, like they're doing some kind of SJW checklist...just as one example.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agree completely.  I hope it becomes reality - Eisenhorn is a fantastic figure.
View Quote
Don’t get me wrong, the Eisenhorn trilogy is by far my favorite of the wh40k novels and I’ve read probably close to a hundred of them. In fact, I’d put the trilogy high in my list of all time favorite sci-fi literature. Nothing would please me more than a TV series that is faithful to the books, but I am highly skeptical it can be done. I hope I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Expanse is very good.  BSG was not that good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer the X-Files. Firefly was good. Not nerdy or young enough to watch the Expanse and other pussy woke shit now. Have better shit to do like surf ARF
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Expanse is one of the better series I've seen, but damn the SJW content in it. It's almost presented in a way that makes it laughable. Not only presents a gay couple, but biracial, too, like they're doing some kind of SJW checklist...just as one example.
View Quote
It's hard to seriously level SJW charges at scifi...as "the future is different" is a hallmark of the genre, and one of the quickest and easiest ways to make the future look different is to stuff it full of weird social stuff.  Whether that's Trek having dudes wear minidresses as uniforms, the government making everyone homosexual (Forever War), or a marriage involving 5 people.

We've got gay people marrying (each other), boys turning themselves into girls, and such....right now.  You can't really yell "SJW!" if a scifi show/movie depicts it as common.  Hell, most of the SF printed in the 1970's had realllly weird sex/social stuff in it (Left Hand of Darkness, anyone?), and that's before you get into Heinlein's stuff.

Now, contemporary dramas, set in 2019, that depict minority behavior (and, yes, that includes gays, trans, etc) as the default...because they have to "include" a dozen different groups....and there's only room on the show for 6-8 primary characters...yeah, on those you may credibly stick the label of SJW.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Captain Mal is still best captain...

The Wife and I marathoned the Expanse and both loved it. Hoping for a 4th season.

Still waiting for a second season of Altered Carbon.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
@pivoproseem

You need to get more.

I move around every 2-3 years and every military unit I’ve been in has people who are gay or in interracial relationships.

Your comment would have made sense in in 1955.

The only SJWish thing was the poly relationship but that is born out of the necessity to avoid taxes and maintain property rights in an overpopulated UN controlled dystopia.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BSG set the bar very,very high.
View Quote
I prefer to see that kinda stuff in instances where biological children won't be produced.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@pivoproseem

You need to get more.

I move around every 2-3 years and every military unit I’ve been in has people who are gay or in interracial relationships.

Your comment would have made sense in in 1955.

The only SJWish thing was the poly relationship but that is born out of the necessity to avoid taxes and maintain property rights in an overpopulated UN controlled dystopia.
View Quote
Well I guess if something happens that means it is automatically right and to be desired.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#36]
No argument out of me, but I don't understand why people are putting BSG right along with it.

There must be a new series of BSG that I'm not aware of, but the old one?
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holden's family situation is so Robert Heinlein-y they probably owe his estate royalties.  It's 200 proof 1960's RAH.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#38]
The Expanse: Why Fans Love it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Holden's family situation is so Robert Heinlein-y they probably owe his estate royalties.  It's 200 proof 1960's RAH.
View Quote
Dafuq?  Holden was raised to be a hippie sharecropper.  He only joined the Navy because his birth mother told him to GTFO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Battlestar Galactica is better.  Sorry.  It just is.

We are rewatching it right now and it's phenomenal. Acting, storyline, grittyness, way above any other sci-fi movie or series.
View Quote
This.

i like the expanse but BSG is by far the best sci, and the expanse doesn't have Kate Sackhoff
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't worry I am sure The Expanse will give them a run for their money
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dafuq?  Holden was raised to be a hippie sharecropper.  He only joined the Navy because his birth mother told him to GTFO.
View Quote
The Holden family sounds a lot like the "line marriages" from The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, which had practical and legal advantages in the strict command economy and limited living space they endured in the book.  And RAH wrote plenty of anti-authoritarian extreme libertarian heroes who would chafe just as quickly in the space navy and be perfectly comfortable with Holden's light hearted vigilantism and philosophy of radical honesty.  Holden might as well be a young Lazarus Long, for instance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I got bored 15 minutes or so into the first episode.

Something about miners being oppressed or some shit.

I dunno.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got bored 15 minutes or so into the first episode.

Something about miners being oppressed or some shit.

I dunno.
View Quote
It's true an attention span longer than 15 minutes is required.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's true an attention span longer than 15 minutes is required.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Someone Stopped me while I was walking out of Costco a few weeks ago and thought I was Amos from The Expanse...
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We are rewatching it right now and it's phenomenal. Acting, storyline, grittyness, way above any other sci-fi movie or series.
View Quote
BSG mini-series was fantastic.  The show held it together for the early episodes, but turned into space soap opera pretty quick.  I didn't make it out of season 1.  Much like SG-U.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm going to re watch 2 episodes a week. That should take me all the way to season 4
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are rewatching it right now and it's phenomenal.
+1
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Weird double tap.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top