Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a unlocked gsm android phone.  tmobile has NO CLUE that I have a smartphone.  Just pay for minutes and unlimited texts.
The kids and I get along just fine with the wifi hookup for net use around the house and other places.
Church has free wifi, many other places have open wifi.

Droid is cool and all until you have to rebuild the OS/SDK from source code to add new hardware sensors, OMG then its major computing horsepower time.
Still better than apple, they won't share anything. iOS wont be on lots of cool government toys because of that. Whoopsie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It's cool that you have no use for mobile computing and save a few hundred dollars a year.  I do have to pay for 3 4G iPad accounts plus 3 iPhone plans for the wife and girls though so I think it can definitely get expensive.  That means different things to different people though.  It might be a hardship for some and for others it's literally an insignificant amount of money.

I've never actually seen the bills though so I just pretend it doesn't exist.  

I haven't paid a cell phone bill in the best part of 20 years though.  Perk of the field I'm in.  

I give you the thumbs up for the "get off my lawn" post of the weekend.

<high five>

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More details please?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pay $20 + tax per quarter.  That's about $90 per year.

More details please?

I have an old Virgin Mobile plan that I don't think they offer anymore.  I pay $20 every 3 months.  If I don't use the time it adds up.

I can do voice and text but no internet.  It's just basic service.

I think I paid $20 for the phone too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OMG, gold IPHONE is sold out, what am I going to carry around now to convince people I'm a douchebag?
View Quote

You can still open carry your AR to accomplish that
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still using an iphone 4 and don't have very many apps on it.

My bill isn't that much and I don't make extensive use of data services (sometimes I browse arfcom during lunch with it)

and I charge it twice a week whether it needs it or not.

I'm not really interested the android thing.  I don't care about its customizability and configurability.  

Find what you like and go with it.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I pay 10 dollars a month more than you, plug in at night unless I use it a ton for smart phone things like fancy music playing or gps directions. Galaxy s 4.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use a flip phone
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hold up I am going to look up the word curmudgeon on my smartphone...
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP quote: Lots of butthurt.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the $70 I saved this month, I can hire some neighborhood kids to mow my yarn so I can yell at them the whole time.  

I win.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OP You can get unlimited phone, txt and internet for about $15 more a month than you are currently spending. Net10 no contract.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm also the only one not spending $100+ a month on my cell phone bill.

I save $70 a month, or $840 a year.  What will $840 buy me this year?  

http://assets.sunlightfoundation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/blog/fun/mcduck-gold.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op is the only person here with no smartphone. He's jelly.

http://assets.sunlightfoundation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/blog/fun/mcduck-gold.gif

I am not spending that either, YO.
Company phone FTMFW....brag elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OMG, gold IPHONE is sold out, what am I going to carry around now to convince people I'm a douchebag?

http://i.qkme.me/36al88.jpg

It's not that I'm against portable computing.  I'm against spending $100+ a month for service on a cell phone that has to be plugged 6 times a day or it dies.  That, plus the douchebag factor.

I use a Pantech P7040.  It's a phone with an actual keyboard.  It makes calls and it texts.  I can leave it unplugged for a week and the battery's fine.

http://www.magicunlock.com/image/cache/data/Pantech/PANTECH%20P7040P-500x500.png

I pay $29 a month.  This is my face when I hear other people talk about their douchebag cell phone bill:

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/I+can+t+stop+laughing+at+that+gif+I+m+literally+crying+_0a3b441c09cc3bcd59fc5eee414b263b.gif

View Quote

My smart phone cost me nothing, thanks for your tax dollars. OH yeah it's a work phone not a FSA phone
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I pay about $75/month with unlimited data.  And it replaces my ISP at the house, so it saves me about $60-70/month from that.  The only downside was paying full price for the phone.

Not an iPhone though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of us have jobs that we can do a lot more efficiently with a smart phone. That, and, gasp, I enjoy having a smartphone.

Only douchebags have 30 round magazines! herp.

ETA: what is it with GD and the "I'm backwards and therefore kewler than you" threads?
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a thought...

How many of you who balk at paying $100/month for a smartphone pay $75/month or more for cable/satellite?

I don't have cable (hell, I don't have a TV), but you will have to pry my smartphone (Galaxy S3) out of my cold, dead hands (and my pistol out of the other!).

I suspect I could almost go without a computer, I'm on my phone so much, although it is easier to use my laptop when I'm surfing and eating dinner at the same time.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
$45 a month for unlimited everything.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here's a thought...

How many of you who balk at paying $100/month for a smartphone pay $75/month or more for cable/satellite?

I don't have cable (hell, I don't have a TV), but you will have to pry my smartphone (Galaxy S3) out of my cold, dead hands (and my pistol out of the other!).

I suspect I could almost go without a computer, I'm on my phone so much, although it is easier to use my laptop when I'm surfing and eating dinner at the same time.

View Quote

That's a fair question.  I haven't had cable for years, but I just switched to U-verse for my internet and it was actually a few dollars cheaper to get TV included than it was to just go with internet.  So, I have cable TV for a year, but I plan to cancel it once the 1-year period is up.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ETA: what is it with GD and the "I'm backwards and therefore kewler than you" threads?
View Quote
Strangely, GD seems to assign the "hipster" label to people who buy iPhones, which is odd, because they're extremely popular and are made by one of the largest corporations on the planet.

A true hipster would do something more like this:

Or, use an outdated cell phone. One or the other.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Droid what?

Sadly, I'll have to get another smart phone at some point due to work. I'm an Android fan (F*&K Apple), however the Nokia Lumia 1020 (Windows 8) is tempting. If they had it for Verizon or Straight Talk, I'd likely snag it.

View Quote

Buy the AT&T version and get the AT&T sim from Straight Talk.  Works fine.  No unlocking needed.  I had a Lumia 920 on ST, $45 a month.  The new sims will give real LTE now too.

A word of caution.  After a week with my 920 running WP8, I found myself booking a flight to Redmond, WA to forcechoke the programmers that wrote WP8.  It's a nightmare.  Constant rebooting, things stop working for no reason, simple things like no custom sounds for text/email/notifications, single volume control, runaway apps that eat the battery in an hour.  And that is common to all WP8 phones.  Frak WP8.

I have a HTC One now.  Ahhh, Android.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Well that's like your opinion man. If I could only have one it would be my phone.

This is past the year 2000 baby!!! We should have our jetpack by now! We should be able to materialize!!!!

At least we got our cool communication device!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Strangely, GD seems to assign the "hipster" label to people who buy iPhones, which is odd, because they're extremely popular and are made by one of the largest corporations on the planet.    

http://i.imgur.com/ryktw.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or use outdated vinyl record.  Freaking hipsters.  

Just kidding, BTW.  Ya need to broadcast again soon.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

With the $70 I saved this month, I can hire some neighborhood kids to mow my yarn so I can yell at them the whole time.  

I win.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I win.

Smartphones come with spellcheck...  Or do you actually want your yarn mowed?
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have a problem with my battery and have a job so I can have nice things!

I have an iPhone and am in the thread!!!

Mwa ha ha!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I just bought a manual typewriter last week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I charge my iphone about twice a week.  But I really only use it for phone calls and texts.  Like a cell phone.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude WTF are you talking about?  My iPhone 4S only needs charging every other day.  My wife's 5 is the same.  And I play a fuck-ton of games and stream Pandora alot.  The bill ain't $100 a month either
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife and I just bought our first iPhones today. We have both been using Blackberries.

My Curve 3100 is about seven years old...It was time to upgrade.
I have now totally converted to Apple with an iMac, iPad, and iPhone.

Best set-up ever.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i.qkme.me/36al88.jpg

It's not that I'm against portable computing.  I'm against spending $100+ a month for service on a cell phone that has to be plugged 6 times a day or it dies.  That, plus the douchebag factor.

I use a Pantech P7040.  It's a phone with an actual keyboard.  It makes calls and it texts.  I can leave it unplugged for a week and the battery's fine.

http://www.magicunlock.com/image/cache/data/Pantech/PANTECH%20P7040P-500x500.png

I pay $29 a month.  This is my face when I hear other people talk about their douchebag cell phone bill:

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/I+can+t+stop+laughing+at+that+gif+I+m+literally+crying+_0a3b441c09cc3bcd59fc5eee414b263b.gif

View Quote

I have a smartphone, but I usually have the data/wi-fi turned off. Only turn it on when I need it. I also dont go out and get the latest and greatest. I had my last one for over 2 years, only replaced it because it stopped working and I was given a better one for free due to the warranty. The higher bill every month can suck, but having the capability to do the things I can with a smartphone that I cant with a regular phone when I need to is nice. Just like my carry gun, Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]
You have no idea...
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You have no idea...
View Quote

So give me an idea.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I have to use your Pantech at work.  It's a steaming pile of shit.
If you need to recieve a call its works.  It does have a good battery life
since I only recieve a call or two a day.
if you don't need a smart phone, that's great.
This thread is like an atheist thread.  OP doesn't believe and he wants us
to know.
Yay, OP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have to use your Pantech at work.  It's a steaming pile of shit.
If you need to recieve a call its works.  It does have a good battery life
since I only recieve a call or two a day.
if you don't need a smart phone, that's great.
This thread is like an atheist thread.  OP doesn't believe and he wants us
to know.
Yay, OP.
View Quote

So, it's a great phone is what I'm hearing.  

Thanks for the confirmation.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
No way I'll pay for one, my employer gives me a flp phone and all the minutes I want for free. Smart phones are society's "me too" gadget of the decade.
My Money is better spent on ammo, firearms, fishing tackle, or good food. I honestly wouldn't pay $20 bucks a month for one, wife has one and I hate it. She pays for it with HER money, not mine. Not a technophobe, I simply don't want one or need one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#36]
LOL @ OP. My iPhone cost only $30 a month with no contract, unlimited data, unlimited texts and 300 minutes. My Wife's iPhone costs only $40 a month with no contract, unlimited data, unlimited texts and 1400 minutes.
Your phone doesn't run out of battery because it doesn't do anything. My iPhone will last a week if I only use it for phone calls too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]
You have several options and solutions for your troubles.

First of all, let me say that I have owned several smart phones, and I am recently blown away by the Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 phones. The quality of these devices has made all the difference to me so far.

If you are completely stuck on having a keyboard, something that I was stuck on for years, Motorola makes the Droid 4. I am sure they are selling for next to nothing with a contract these days. (It's a little over one year old). The Motorola Droid keyboards are absolutely perfect in every way. I really miss my old Droid 3, but it doesn't even have half of the raw power as my new Galaxy S4.

For the smartphone battery issue, something that has plagued me for years, I have recently found an App (that's right an app!) that has completely cured my battery problems. Why is it that your old flip-phones battery last's so damn long? Most likely, it's because the older phone is not processing 4G mobile data while it is sitting dormant in your pocket. Smartphones will do this by default, and it literally sucks the life out of the battery just sitting in your pocket. The App I recently downloaded for free on Google Play store, is called "Auto Data". It immediately shuts off 4G mobile data and any Wifi connection as soon as your smartphones screen shuts off. My Galaxy S4 battery will last for days and days now with this new app.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My iPhone thru AT&T is about $60/mo currently. (and that's with the 200 SMS add-on(might drop that since I haven't been using it lately) and unlimited data)

When I had a "dumb" phone and I was driving OTR, my phone bill was anywhere from $90-250/mo. I'm guessing that in addition to hating technology, you probably barely use the phone you have.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't like talking on the phone.
View Quote

I like logging into my work comp from my phone and fixing shit that goes wrong at work instead of going home or to work.  Logmein FTW!

My "bill" for 2 IPhones is a horrifying $120/mo with Verizon.  Oh the noes!
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#40]
The wife unit got us smart phones last time we were way past due for a cheap upgrade.  No way in hell I'd go back to a plain flip phone, fuck those.  I save a shit ton just not having to drive to the bank once every few weeks, among other things.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an old fashioned flip phone, i pay 10 bucks a month for phone service. No texting, no data. Call me scrooge McDuck,

That being said, i really really miss my Note 2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The wife unit got us smart phones last time we were way past due for a cheap upgrade.  No way in hell I'd go back to a plain flip phone, fuck those.  I save a shit ton just not having to drive to the bank once every few weeks, among other things.
View Quote

Mobile banking is the tits.  My life changed with this smartphone crap.  I have so much more free time and so many actions that were once a hassle just happen without thinking about it.

I actually can't remember the last time I entered my bank.  I just deposit checks by snapping a picture with my phone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#43]
1984 is missing OP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I got the cheapest dumbest flip phone money can buy. It's a company phone.

That's all I need or want.  I told them when they decided to renew the contract to not get me a new phone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully a new personality and some calm.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In regards to poor battery life in case anyone is bitching: These phones now all have huge screens, and they suck up the majority of the battery power.
View Quote

And not to mention the background processing of 4G data and wifi, drains the battery even when it's just sitting in your pocket. It's amazing how much longer the battery lasts when you turn all that off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LTE is most definitely a battery hog.
View Quote

Nothing compared to Sprints former WIMAX network. With that turned on you could watch your battery bar drain like the fuel gauge of a H1 Hummer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mobile banking is the tits.  My life changed with this smartphone crap.  I have so much more free time and so many actions that were once a hassle just happen without thinking about it.

I actually can't remember the last time I entered my bank.  I just deposit checks by snapping a picture with my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With direct deposit, online bill paying and statements and just using debit or credit it's probably been two years since I last had to set foot in a bank. Checkbook is a helpful app for that. Lets me quickly punch in a purchase description and total so I can track what I spend without carrying around a pocket full of receipts for every minor purchase I made during the day.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top