BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gas was brand new. It's indiscriminate, there was no possible way to prepare for it mentally, and there was no way to shoot straighter, or faster, or parry a bayonet more effectively.

Imagine if our enemies right now had a weapon (like nanotech, or something else), that could melt you no matter what PPE you wore, and killed everything in its path.

Men slowly drowned in their own bodily fluids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  War is inhumane.  It ok to stab and slash men with blades, shoot them, bludgeon them, blow them apart with explosives, and set them on fire, but gassing them is too much?  I can't see a rational justification for drawing the line there.
Quoted:
But being disemboweled by the 2' long bayonet was ok!....
Gas was brand new. It's indiscriminate, there was no possible way to prepare for it mentally, and there was no way to shoot straighter, or faster, or parry a bayonet more effectively.

Imagine if our enemies right now had a weapon (like nanotech, or something else), that could melt you no matter what PPE you wore, and killed everything in its path.

War isn't a gentlemanly duel.  Why is drowning someone in their own bodily fluids so much worse than a person getting ripped apart by artillery and left to die on the battlefield?  How is it much better than roasting people with a flamethrower?  All things considered, it might be one of the faster ways to kill than a lot of other battlefield weapons. Is a quick, painful death that much more morally bad than a slow, painful one?

Even if our enemies had such a weapon, how does that change anything in the grand scheme of a war?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder what would happen if the next time politicians s and generals said "we need a better way to kill human beings" the scientists and engineers just said "no."
View Quote
The military industrial complex will not be thwarted.

We have so many ways to kill, it's infinite.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Six million ways to die, choose one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HOW RIFLEMAN BROWN CAME TO VALHALLA
by
Gilbert Frankau

To the lower Hall of Valhalla, to the heroes of no renown
Relieved from his spell at the listening post, came Rifleman Joseph Brown
With never a rent in his khaki nor smear of blood on his face
He flung his pack from his shoulders, and made for an empty space.

The killer-men of Valhalla looked up from the banquet board
At the untouched breech of his rifle, at the unfleshed point of his sword.
And the unsung dead of the trenches, the kings who have never a crown
Demanded his pass to Valhalla from Rifleman Joseph Brown.

“Who comes unhit, to the party?” a one legged Corporal spoke.
And the gashed heads nodded approval through the rings of the Endless Smoke
“Who comes for the beer and the Woodbines of the never-closed Canteen
With the barrack-shine on his bayonet and a full-charged magazine?”

Then Rifleman Brown looked round him at the nameless men of the line.
At the wounds of the shell and the bullet, at the burns of the bomb and the mine.
At the tunics, virgin of medals but crimson-clotted with blood.
At the ankle-boots and the puttees, caked stiff with the Flanders mud.
At the myriad short Lee-Enfields that crowded the rifle-rack.
Each with its blade to the sword-cross brown, and its muzzle powder-black.

And Rifleman Brown said never a word, yet he felt in the soul of his soul,
His right to the beer of the lower hall, though he came to drink it, whole.
His right to the fags of the free Canteen, to a seat at the banquet board
Though he came to the men who had killed their man, with never a man to his sword.

“Who speaks for the stranger Rifleman, O boys of the free Canteen?
Who passes the chap with the unmaimed limbs and the kit that is far too clean?”
The gashed heads eyed him about their beers, the gashed lips sucked at their smoke
There were three at the board of his own platoon, but not a man of them spoke.

His mouth was mad for the tankard froth and the biting whiff of a fag
But he knew that he might not speak for himself to the dead men who do not brag
A gun-butt crashed on the gateway, a man came staggering in
His head was cleft with a great red wound from the temple-bone to the chin.

His blade was dyed to the bayonet-boss with the clots that were barely dry,
And he cried to the men who had killed their man, “Who passes the Rifleman?... I.”
By the four I slew, by the shell I stopped, if my feet be not too late
I speak the word for Rifleman Brown that a chap may speak for his mate.”
The dead of lower Valhalla, the heroes of dumb renown
They pricked their ears to the tale of the earth as they set their tankards down.

“My mate was on sentry this evening when General happened along,
And asked what he’d do in a gas attack. Joe told him, “Beat on the gong.”
“What else?” “Open fire, sir.” Joe answered. “Good God, man,” our General said,
“By the time you’d beaten the bloodstained gong the chances are you’d be dead
Just think, lad.” “Gas -helmet, of course, sir.” “Yes dammit, and gas helmet first.”
So Joe stood dumb to attention, and wondered why he’d been cursed.

The gashed heads turned to the Rifleman, and now it seemed that they knew
Why the face that had never a smear of blood was stained to the jaw-bones, blue.
“He was posted again at midnight.” The scarred heads craned to the voice
As the man with the blood-red bayonet spoke up for the mate of his choice.
“You know what it’s like in a listening post, the 'Very' candles aflare
Their bullets smacking the sand-bags, our Vickers combing your hair,
How your ears and your eyes get jumpy, till each known tuft that you scan
Moves and crawls in the shadows till you’d almost swear it was man.
You know how you peer and snuff at the night when the North-East gas-winds blow.”
“By the One who made us and maimed us,” quoth lower Valhalla, “We know.”

“Sudden, out of the blackness, sudden as Hell, there came,
Roar and rattle of rifles, spurts of machine-gun flame.
And Joe stood up in the forward sap to try and fathom their game
Sudden their shells come screaming; sudden his nostrils sniff
The sickening reek of the rotten pears, the death that kills with a whiff.
Death! and he knows it certain, as he bangs on his cartridge case
With the gas-cloud’s claws at his windpipe and the gas-clouds wings on his face.
We heard his gong in our dug-out, he only whacked on it twice
We whipped our gas-bags over our heads, and manned the steps in a trice.
For the cloud would have caught us for sure as Fate if he’d taken the Staff’s advice.”

His head was cleft with a great red wound from the chin to the temple-bone
But his voice was as clear as a sounding gong, “I’ll be damned if I’ll drink alone,
Not even in lower Valhalla! Is he free of your free Canteen
My mate who comes with the unfleshed point and the full-charged magazine?”

The gashed heads rose at the Rifleman, o’er the rings of the Endless Smoke
And loud as the roar of a thousand guns Valhall’s answer broke.
And loud as the crash of a thousand shells their tankards clashed on the board
“He is free of the mess of the killer-men, your mate of the unfleshed sword
For we know the worth of his deed on earth, as we know the speed of the death
Which catches its man by the back of the throat and gives him water for breath.
As we know how the helmet cloth may tarry seconds too long
When the very life of the front-line trench is staked on the beat of a gong.
By the four you slew, by the case he smote, by the grey gas-cloud and the green
We pass your mate for the Enless Smoke and the beer of the free Canteen.”

In the lower hall of Valhalla, with the heroes of no renown
With our nameless dead of the Marne and the Aisne, of Mons, and of Wipers town
With the men who killed 'ere they died for us, sits Rifleman Joseph Brown.
View Quote
I'm not much for poetry, but that was really good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You mean like us until Russia made there own bomb.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except both Hiroshima and Nagasaki had legitimate military value.

It was absolutely right for us to use the A-bombs, many times over.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it was. Fuck the Germans
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I G Farben is still around too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
After invasions like Bloody Tarawa, Roosevelt and the US military had an alternate plan to use gas to subdue the subterranean fortress at Iwo Jima. They were going to mix in gas shells with explosive shells so navy gunners wouldn't know the difference. The plan was cancelled just before the final resupply of the invasion fleet when Truman took over as President and denied the plan.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
War isn't a gentlemanly duel.  Why is drowning someone in their own bodily fluids so much worse than a person getting ripped apart by artillery and left to die on the battlefield?  How is it much better than roasting people with a flamethrower?  All things considered, it might be one of the faster ways to kill than a lot of other battlefield weapons. Is a quick, painful death that much more morally bad than a slow, painful one?

Even if our enemies had such a weapon, how does that change anything in the grand scheme of a war?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  War is inhumane.  It ok to stab and slash men with blades, shoot them, bludgeon them, blow them apart with explosives, and set them on fire, but gassing them is too much?  I can't see a rational justification for drawing the line there.
Quoted:

No shit.

WWI was a fantastic collision of technology, tradition, tactics, and ideals, probably only rivaled by certain smaller instances of the Pacific War, and that's only due to the collision of Japanese warrior ethos and technology.

I'm not trying to say it was "bad/wrong" to use it, but that it had far more impact mentally than artillery or even machine gun fire at that time.

If you read literature from the period, most of them were afraid of the gas more than anything. It made a far greater impact on the soldiers' experiences than the rifle or bayonet, for certain.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder what would happen if the next time politicians s and generals said "we need a better way to kill human beings" the scientists and engineers just said "no."
View Quote
Imagine
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The German nation should have been obliterated from the face of the Earth for that
View Quote
You'd think after the second go around we would have told them they don't get to be a nation anymore.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I try to explain the gruesome and epic scale of death and destruction associated with WWI to my students but most have difficulty really placing that into perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this an excerpted from a book?  I'd love to read more.  The level of death and destruction in WW1 is absolutely insane.
I try to explain the gruesome and epic scale of death and destruction associated with WWI to my students but most have difficulty really placing that into perspective.
It's like an alien world when you've lived in happy valley your whole life.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After invasions like Bloody Tarawa, Roosevelt and the US military had an alternate plan to use gas to subdue the subterranean fortress at Iwo Jima. They were going to mix in gas shells with explosive shells so navy gunners wouldn't know the difference. The plan was cancelled just before the final resupply of the invasion fleet when Truman took over as President and denied the plan.
View Quote
Would have been awful handy for the taking of hill 382.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Except this wasn't the first gas attack. France used gas grenades about a month earlier, the Germans just didn't notice.  The Allies had a much better propaganda machine, WWI was hardly clean on their side.
View Quote
1. The French used tear gas, which according to the Hauge treaty was legal. Prior to the war, all sides agreed that the use of poison gas a war crime.

2. First German large-scale use of gas was against Russians almost a year earlier. They filled artillery shells with gas compounds, but where they used it, it was mostly ineffective. The Germans seemed to enter the war with the idea of using gas against their enemies, and they were prepared to conduct gas warfare. The French, British, Russians, and Italians didn't enter the war planning to use gas, and weren't prepared.

3. Germany invaded other countries, including neutral countries, and then committed war crimes in those areas they occupied. They could have ended the war any time they wanted, including after the first week of warfare 1914, but they chose instead to fight until their country was nearly destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The firsthand account of Willi Siebert, a German soldier during the first gas attack of the war, at Ypres.

Finally, we decided to release the gas. The weatherman was right. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining. Where there was grass, it was blazing green. We should have been going on a picnic, not doing what we were going to do. We sent the (German) infantry back and opened the (gas)valves with the strings. About supper time, the gas started toward the French; everything was stone quiet. We all wondered what was going to happen.

As this great cloud of green-grey gas was forming in front of us, we suddenly heard the French yelling. In less than a minute they started with the most rifle and machine gun fire that I had ever heard. Every field artillery gun, every machine gun, every rifle that the French had, must have been firing. I had never heard such a noise.

The hail of bullets going over our heads was unbelievable, but it was not stopping the gas. The wind kept moving the gas towards the French lines. We heard the cows bawling, and the horses screaming. The French kept on shooting. They couldn’t possibly see what they were shooting at. In about 15 minutes the gunfire started to quit. After a half hour, only occasional shots. Then everything was quiet again. In a while, it had cleared and we walked past the empty gas bottles.

What we saw was total death. Nothing was alive.

All of the animals had come out of their holes to die. Dead rabbits, moles, and rats and mice were everywhere. The smell of the gas was still in the air. It hung on the few bushes which were left. When we got to the French lines the trenches were empty but in a half mile, the bodies of French soldiers were everywhere. It was unbelievable. Then we saw there were some English. You could see where men had clawed at their faces, and throats, trying to get a breath. Some had shot themselves. The horses, still in the stables, cows, chickens, everything, all were dead. Everything, even the insects were dead.
"
View Quote
Fuckin horrible
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good way to end a war quickly
View Quote
Unfortunately it didn’t. It just made the war even more horrifying.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, didn’t Hiram Maxim say something like that?
View Quote
Nobel said the same thing as he invented smokeless powder.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure Curtis Lemay killed more civilians in Tokyo with fire than the Germans killed soldiers with gas.

Lemay himself believed he’d have been tried as a war criminal if we hadn’t won.

Now, I don’t particularly believe there is such a thing as “war crimes.” War is hell, and there’s no refining it. Trying to bring honor or fairness into armed conflict is a fools errand. When you stand on the ashes of a billion dead souls ask them what honor matters. Their silence is your answer.
View Quote

Dam. Sounds like Thanos, but I don't disagree
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
The Hardcore History series on WW1 was great....both fascinating and horrible at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The part of that quote that I find ironic is that nukes are the weapon that has finally made total war unacceptable. If it wasn’t for nukes millions would have died when the US and USSR fought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The German nation should have been obliterated from the face of the Earth for that
View Quote
Many would say the same about a country that uses nukes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You'd think after the second go around we would have told them they don't get to be a nation anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, post war guilt seems to have led them to make that decision for themselves.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On the run up to the 1st Gulf War, we were shown smuggled video of Iraqi troops gassing Kurds. It was horrifying.
View Quote
But...but...Sadam never had WMDs...
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Many would say the same about a country that uses nukes.
View Quote
Those two nukes saved a hell of a lot more Japanese lives than American.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dr. Fritz Haber, a German Jewish chemist, was the one who invented chemical warfare.

Haber greeted World War I with enthusiasm, joining 92 other German intellectuals in signing the Manifesto of the Ninety-Three in October 1914.[18] Haber played a major role in the development of the non-ballistic use of chemical warfare in World War I, in spite of the proscription of their use in shells by the Hague Convention of 1907 (to which Germany was a signatory). He was promoted to the rank of captain and made head of the Chemistry Section in the Ministry of War soon after the war began.[7]:133 In addition to leading the teams developing chlorine gas and other deadly gases for use in trench warfare,[19] Haber was on hand personally when it was first released by the German military at the Second Battle of Ypres (22 April to 25 May 1915) in Belgium.[7]:138 Haber also helped to develop gas masks with adsorbent filters which could protect against such weapons.
He also invented the Haber process for making ammonia from hydrogen and nitrogen, thereby doubling the population of the Earth.

So I guess he more than made up for the deaths he caused.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dr. Fritz Haber, a German Jewish chemist, was the one who invented chemical warfare.

He also invented the Haber process for making ammonia from hydrogen and nitrogen, thereby doubling the population of the Earth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[color=#0000ff]Haber greeted World War I with enthusiasm, joining 92 other German intellectuals in signing the Manifesto of the Ninety-Three in October 1914.[18] Haber played a major role in the development of the non-ballistic use of chemical warfare in World War I, in spite of the proscription of their use in shells by the Hague Convention of 1907 (to which Germany was a signatory). He was promoted to the rank of captain and made head of the Chemistry Section in the Ministry of War soon after the war began.[7]:133 In addition to leading the teams developing chlorine gas and other deadly gases for use in trench warfare,[19] Haber was on hand personally when it was first released by the German military at the Second Battle of Ypres (22 April to 25 May 1915) in Belgium.[7]:138 Haber also helped to develop gas masks with adsorbent filters which could protect against such weapons. [/color]

Yea....dude won a Nobel Prize in chemistry!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chlorine
View Quote
Heavier than air and stupid easy to make.  I'm surprised no one has tried a gas attack in the U.S. with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
What if they held a war and and nobody came?  --  1960's graffiti

Be well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Written by Robert Harris, same guy that wrote Fatherland.

He has a section where it is suggested the grenade used to assassinate Heydrich was modified to contain botulism toxin.  I've never found any other source that discusses this, and I imagine if true the papers on it would be under a 100 year hold if they even exist anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want a really good book on the matter, read A HIGHER FORM OF KILLING.

It's scary stuff.

He has a section where it is suggested the grenade used to assassinate Heydrich was modified to contain botulism toxin.  I've never found any other source that discusses this, and I imagine if true the papers on it would be under a 100 year hold if they even exist anymore.
I don't know if that's believable.  Botulinum toxin is very heat sensitive and wouldn't survive the explosion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On the run up to the 1st Gulf War, we were shown smuggled video of Iraqi troops gassing Kurds. It was horrifying.
View Quote
Many moons ago I dated a Kurdish girl whose uncle was there. A lot of his family died right in front of him. Scary shit he told us.  He has some interesting stories from his time In the uprising.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Fritz Haber, the guy that was most responsible for the development of chemical warfare and the man who personally ran the Ypres operation was also a Nobel Prize Laureate

Outstanding contribution to humanity indeed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that I gave them a tiny bit of understanding when I described the horror of it all to them.

But no amounts of telling can stifle the need for us to recognize that IT MUST NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[color=#0000ff]Haber greeted World War I with enthusiasm, joining 92 other German intellectuals in signing the Manifesto of the Ninety-Three in October 1914.[18] Haber played a major role in the development of the non-ballistic use of chemical warfare in World War I, in spite of the proscription of their use in shells by the Hague Convention of 1907 (to which Germany was a signatory). He was promoted to the rank of captain and made head of the Chemistry Section in the Ministry of War soon after the war began.[7]:133 In addition to leading the teams developing chlorine gas and other deadly gases for use in trench warfare,[19] Haber was on hand personally when it was first released by the German military at the Second Battle of Ypres (22 April to 25 May 1915) in Belgium.[7]:138 Haber also helped to develop gas masks with adsorbent filters which could protect against such weapons. [/color]

Half the nitrogen in the protein we eat comes from the Haber process.  The nitrogen comes from the atmosphere and the hydrogen comes from cracking natural gas.  We will never starve for lack of nitrogen fertilizer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The part of that quote that I find ironic is that nukes are the weapon that has finally made total war unacceptable. If it wasn’t for nukes millions would have died when the US and USSR fought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boo fucking hoo. War is war, and no one is a saint when trying to kill the other to ensure their survival.

The irony is you won't apply that same double standard for the American use of Atomic bombs... would you...

nah didn't think so.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't.

War is all about one upping the other side in order to survive and win - if one happens to have a weapon that can inflict massive damage on the enemy, then history tells us they will use it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't know if that's believable.  Botulinum toxin is very heat sensitive and wouldn't survive the explosion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's scary stuff.

More likely an infection from the doctors or something in the car the fragments passed through before hitting him.

On that note, there was a notable quote from the character Dr. Stanton in "V" that this reminds me of.  "This could be the dawning of a new age.  Nuclear Power is meaningless in a world where a virus can kill an entire population and leave its wealth intact".
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was no legitimate military value to the use of gas in WW1?

Oookay then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fritz Haber, the guy that was most responsible for the development of chemical warfare and the man who personally ran the Ypres operation was also a Nobel Prize Laureate

View Quote
As already mentioned, he created the Haber process, a means of binding airborne Nitrogen to Hydrogen to form Ammonia. Prior to this, the manufacture of Ammonium Nitrate had only organic sources and could not be synthesized.

Royalties for each kg made made him a very wealthy man before the war. His involvement in the chlorine gas attacks was also the most likely cause of his wife's suicide.

Eta:  I see this has already been explained.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's scary stuff.
View Quote
Which one? @strike6

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chlorine
View Quote
On April 22, 1915, German forces shock Allied soldierhttps://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/5_General-Discussion.htmls along the western front by firing more than 150 tons of lethal chlorine gas against two French colonial divisions at Ypres, Belgium. This was the first major gas attack by the Germans, and it devastated the Allied line.

that was their first try. if i remember there were issues with chlorine. it was hard to deploy or hung around or something. later on they started using mustard gas.

Mustard gas, introduced by the Germans in 1917, blistered the skin, eyes, and lungs, and killed thousands.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy shit some of you are daft.

He also developed the Haber process.... which allowed the creation of fertilizer on an industrial scale. It's one of the major factors that allows the world to grow the amount of food it does today.

I'd say that's quite the contribution to humanity, and gee, wouldn't you know it, exactly what he got the Nobel Prize for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Hardcore History series on WW1 was great....both fascinating and horrible at the same time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
More likely an infection from the doctors or something in the car the fragments passed through before hitting him.

On that note, there was a notable quote from the character Dr. Stanton in "V" that this reminds me of.  "This could be the dawning of a new age.  Nuclear Power is meaningless in a world where a virus can kill an entire population and leave its wealth intact".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's scary stuff.

I find it fascinating that only the U.S. and Russia have live smallpox virii.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oookay then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oookay then.
I would say it was arguably more legitimate, as it affected only soldiers engaged in warfare.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He also developed the Haber process.... which allowed the creation of fertilizer on an industrial scale. It's one of the major factors that allows the world to grow the amount of food it does today.

I'd say that's quite the contribution to humanity, and gee, wouldn't you know it, exactly what he got the Nobel Prize for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Before that, the limiting factor in food production was nitrogen fertilizer.  We couldn't feed the world without it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The biggest reasons are that gas is risky to employ close to your own troops or in areas you intend to occupy, and that there isn’t much to be gained by employing it against an enemy who is prepared to deal with it and respond in kind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, nasty, nasty weapon. There is a reason why after WWI, for the most part, poison gas has not been used on front lines.
The biggest reasons are that gas is risky to employ close to your own troops or in areas you intend to occupy, and that there isn’t much to be gained by employing it against an enemy who is prepared to deal with it and respond in kind.
Ehh.

No comment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure Curtis Lemay killed more civilians in Tokyo with fire than the Germans killed soldiers with gas.

Now, I don’t particularly believe there is such a thing as “war crimes.” War is hell, and there’s no refining it. Trying to bring honor or fairness into armed conflict is a fools errand. When you stand on the ashes of a billion dead souls ask them what honor matters. Their silence is your answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you feel the same way about the Japanese?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've long since thought that the Pacific campaign was one of the few scenarios where chemical warfare made tactical sense.  Deeply entrenched enemy cave systems, isolated battle ground. On islands like Iwo Jima, having the navy stand off and shell the island with gas shells would probably have saved a whole lot of Marines' lives.
Page / 3
Top Top