Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
All the bitching about feet is pointless when you do actual math involving time and you have to deals with seconds/minutes.

It's all arbitrary and made up, use whatever is easiest and convert it to whatever you need.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What on God's green earth are you even going on about?

I am a Libertarian. I want to be left alone and don't really care about what others do so long as they don't bother me.

I also like the metric system. A lot. I use it for most measurements I take, unless I need to measure out some even number of feet. I see people speak against this system from a point of willful ignorance. I reserve every right to ridicule and mock these people according to their ridiculous statements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is part of the problem

Autists trying to fake their way into the cool kids crowd

I'm not in it, but I've had enough contact to know that correcting
capitalization isn't something they do

You guys are the spoilers. It's ok, you're not the deep, actual cause, despite what
aggravated parties may say

What on God's green earth are you even going on about?

I am a Libertarian. I want to be left alone and don't really care about what others do so long as they don't bother me.

I also like the metric system. A lot. I use it for most measurements I take, unless I need to measure out some even number of feet. I see people speak against this system from a point of willful ignorance. I reserve every right to ridicule and mock these people according to their ridiculous statements.

He appears to be so lacking in self-awareness that he mistook your correction of "Lolbertism" to "LOLbertarianism" as a pedantic correction of the capital letters - as if you wouldn't have corrected "LOLbertism" or would have corrected "Lolbertarianism."

This is the level of intellect and awareness you are spending mental energy arguing against.

This is a great hazard of the internet, where we find ourselves stopping and engaging with people we would otherwise just walk away from on the street.

Just. Walk. Away.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I lived in Canuckistan for about 10 years some time back.  When I moved there, some things made sense instantly and I preferred them to the US standards - kilometers, litres, Celsius.  I didn't even convert in my head to figure them out, I just used the new (to me) units and they made sense.  

Some other things never did make sense - mm, cm, kilograms, and I would always have to convert those in my head to inches, feet, lbs, etc before I understood them, even after 10 years of using them.

For wrench sizes and stuff, either is OK for me.   That's another thing I don't mentally convert, I just grab the appropriate size socket/wrench and use it, without thinking if 10mm is about 7/16th or whatever it is.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I lived in Canuckistan for about 10 years some time back.  When I moved there, some things made sense instantly and I preferred them to the US standards - kilometers, litres, Celsius.  I didn't even convert in my head to figure them out, I just used the new (to me) units and they made sense.  

Some other things never did make sense - mm, cm, kilograms, and I would always have to convert those in my head to inches, feet, lbs, etc before I understood them, even after 10 years of using them.

For wrench sizes and stuff, either is OK for me.   That's another thing I don't mentally convert, I just grab the appropriate size socket/wrench and use it, without thinking if 10mm is about 7/16th or whatever it is.

View Quote

I'm OK with mm and cm, but I suck at fuel economy and gas prices in most places. The latter gets worsened when the U.S. dollar to local currency conversion is less intuitive. I will never get me brain to think in liters per 100 km, and really hate how cars are set up that if you switch to kms per hour for your speed, you can't keep anything else in American units.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In a different timeline 7.62x51 would be called .30x2
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Aside from 0C and 100C, it is odd. Fahrenheit has more resolution between the numbers. 15C and 20C is a pretty big difference. In the end, it's just numbers to describe the phenomena of temperature, but Metric and Celsius should be alien to Americans. The people here who push it tend to be uber-liberal and pro-government, just my observation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Aside from 0C and 100C, it is odd. Fahrenheit has more resolution between the numbers. 15C and 20C is a pretty big difference. In the end, it's just numbers to describe the phenomena of temperature, but Metric and Celsius should be alien to Americans. The people here who push it tend to be uber-liberal and pro-government, just my observation.

It works fine with a decimal. Also used with F by the way.  The metric system is demonstrably superior.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree that needing to clarify between lbf and lbm is an abomination; that's yet another argument in favor of the metric system.

I don't mean this to be argumentative or pretentious, so please don't take it that way; I'm genuinely curious...  did you study engineering in college?  If so, what timeframe, and was slug in common use as the unit of measure for mass in the imperial system?  Do you do engineering now, and is slug in common use?

I graduated USNA in 1996 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.  I don't recall using slug at all, in any class.  When using imperial units, it was always lbf for force and lbm for mass.  I'm not a PE and did not do engineering as a career, so I'm genuinely curious if slug is used at all in modern engineering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pounds are force, slugs are mass. The "pound mass" is an abomination.
I agree that needing to clarify between lbf and lbm is an abomination; that's yet another argument in favor of the metric system.

I don't mean this to be argumentative or pretentious, so please don't take it that way; I'm genuinely curious...  did you study engineering in college?  If so, what timeframe, and was slug in common use as the unit of measure for mass in the imperial system?  Do you do engineering now, and is slug in common use?

I graduated USNA in 1996 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.  I don't recall using slug at all, in any class.  When using imperial units, it was always lbf for force and lbm for mass.  I'm not a PE and did not do engineering as a career, so I'm genuinely curious if slug is used at all in modern engineering.

U of Illinois in 1995.  I use metric at work so no slugs but I was first introduced to them in HS physics.  I do get some customer inputs in imperial, but I normally convert them over.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Give us a demonstration to back up your claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Give us a demonstration to back up your claim.

Accurate placement of 5.1 surround speakers requires trigonometry for precise positioning. Metric enables me to take measurements in decimal-native form, perform the calculations on a grocery store calculator, and then natively measure them back out without any fractional conversion.

Quoted:
(We don't really care whether you try, you won't succeed.)

I just did.

And this isn't the first time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The metric system has always been gay, and the gayest thing about it is how completely unrelateble Celsius is.
View Quote

agreed.. saying it's 38* out and too hot sounds retarded.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have never made anything but claims, and the claim you made earlier in this thread is not the one you make in this post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You have never made anything but claims, and the claim you made earlier in this thread is not the one you make in this post.

The example I have given was the very occasion that metric's merits became apparent to me.

Quoted:

So, enlighten us; are you making measurements to less than a millimeter?

No. As a casual user of the system, I have never had any such need.

Quoted:

Do you know how to use a calculator to convert fractions to decimals?  How is it that you don't know most of the measurements you would have made with an inch tape measure as fractions in their equivalent decimal form, at least to the 1/8th fractions?

That was precisely what I was doing when I realized something: With metric, I just bypass fractional conversion altogether.

Quoted:

Do you believe your speaker placement is sufficiently precise with 1 inch tolerances?

Are you implying that I should prefer sloppy work?

Quoted:

Is rbarry3715 another account you use here?

No. I don't know who that is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
There. New avatar. Hit Ctrl+F5 to see it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyway, I thought I'd share something I actually built with metric:

Attachment Attached File

A shelf.

Attachment Attached File

I have no training on wood working whatsoever, so I kind of taught myself. These are tools I mainly used:

Attachment Attached File

I think I may have used a pocket calculator to figure out exactly where the bracket mounting holes had to go, as I was reusing existing ones in-place.

I also used Torx. I would pre-drill a 1/8" pilot hole, then drive a screw in most of the way, and then hand-tighten with this DeWalt T25 driver until it was flush.

Attachment Attached File

I also built another one similar to it on the other side of the garage. And I screwed up the alignment on the same screw in the same place. Aside from that, everything else is millimeter-exact.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Look guys we’re sticking with the system
We have now. Smooth brains are trianed to it and they can’t understand anything else. Remember the 1/3 lb burger at Burger King. And how all the dumbasses of America thought it was smaller than the 1/4lber.  
Imagine the consternation if we convert to metric and these same mofos have to order a 15/128 kg burger at mcy d’s. The riots and looting may never cease.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are ten fingers on our hands, not 1/8", 3/32" or 13/64".

Metric is better, easier and more precise. 1mm is .04 vs. 1/16 is .065 in decimal.

There are no irrational numbers in metric like 1/3 either.
View Quote
When you grow up with twin sisters, 1/3rds are not irrational.

As my little is currently finishing up 3rd grade, and I'm helping him with his homework, I have to agree about the metric system being easier to work with. A lot of times he'll ask me why, and my reply is usually, "I don't know. I guess someone smarter than us thought it was a good idea."
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have now. Smooth brains are trianed to it and they can’t understand anything else. Remember the 1/3 lb burger at Burger King. And how all the dumbasses of America thought it was smaller than the 1/4lber.  
Imagine the consternation if we convert to metric and these same mofos have to order a 15/128 kg burger at mcy d’s. The riots and looting may never cease.
View Quote

Going from Quarter-Pounder to Quarter-Kilo more than doubles the mass of the pattie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Expounding on AeroE's earlier point: chosing some seemingly clever system of measurement goes out the window the moment one walks out of the classroom into the real world.  

Commies pushed Metric on America to slow her roll.  

Period.

AND: It was a time of fucking metrication.  The commies didnt prevail.  There was no metri-fuck-ation here.  

The commies and/or those proud intellectuals who are duped are talking It pretty hard in this thread.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's actually exactly like the arguments people make in this threads.

Compared to many in the past, this one has been tame.

Nobody has claimed the super-duper importance of measuring temperature with the precision of the Fahrenheit degree, suggesting that not only can they tell a one degree change but that using half degrees in Celsius is just unworkable as an alternative and proof the system is inferior. The best is when the same poster goes on about how much more "intuitive" it is to say a guy is five foot, 11 and 1/2 inches as opposed to 182 centimeters tall.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Metric calculations are far easier.

Any of you guys do land navigation or orienteering?

I measure all my shooting distances in meters so that I can coincide all my shooting distances on a grid map.

I know that if my targets are half a klick and 35° from me, exactly where that would be on a map. If I need to scale up or divide down by 10, it's easy.

How many yards are there in a mile? What about 2 miles? Or 3 miles? There are 1000 meters in a kilometer. Literally every unit of measurement in the metric system is divisible by tens.

There is literally no reason not to use it aside from being stubborn.

I also think that we should convert over to using the 24 hour clock. Why would you start over again at noon?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've got no problem with reporting how the weather feels in F, and collecting scientific data in C (Which I do all the time)

And FYI: Kelvin is Celsius sized increments onlw with the scale based not on the behavior of water, but shifted so zero is where matter "freezes" and atoms stop moving.

You want to hear something really fun. I work in US Survey Feet. Which are metric feet. Feet, 10ths and 100ths.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5R8XBqVMAASpci.jpg:large

I do science in Feet. Cubic feet per second, acre-feet, million gallons per day but still temperature in C.
View Quote

Yep, tenths and hundredths rule, but I still tell my helper to move over 4", not .33'
Oddly enough, I find its easier to do cad drawings in tenths.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I measure all my shooting distances in meters so that I can coincide all my shooting distances on a grid map.

I know that if my targets are half a klick and 35° from me, exactly where that would be on a map. If I need to scale up or divide down by 10, it's easy.

How many yards are there in a mile? What about 2 miles? Or 3 miles? There are 1000 meters in a kilometer. Literally every unit of measurement in the metric system is divisible by tens.

I also think that we should convert over to using the 24 hour clock. Why would you start over again at noon?
View Quote

Land nav is extremely easy with miles and feet. The mile was literally developed based on the human walking pace. Your problem is your map is metric.

What's your pace for a km? A mile/half mile?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Expounding on AeroE's earlier point: chosing some seemingly clever system of measurement goes out the window the moment one walks out of the classroom into the real world.  

Period.

AND: It was a time of fucking metrication.  The commies didnt prevail.  There was no metri-fuck-ation here.  

The commies and/or those proud intellectuals who are duped are talking It pretty hard in this thread.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nobody has claimed the super-duper importance of measuring temperature with the precision of the Fahrenheit degree, suggesting that not only can they tell a one degree change but that using half degrees in Celsius is just unworkable as an alternative and proof the system is inferior. The best is when the same poster goes on about how much more "intuitive" it is to say a guy is five foot, 11 and 1/2 inches as opposed to 182 centimeters tall.
View Quote

Jokes are funnier when you explain the intellectual component. Thanks for doing it so I didn’t have to

But yeah, in not so many words, that was my point.(well that and people are stupid lol) Why else would I have converted a kg fractionally and ridiculously.

I wish we’d convert actually. Base 10 is better everything and I find the system concise consistent and relatable. I still talk in yards feet inches because that’s how all my developing sysanpes were connected so it’s easier, the country is built around the standard system, and other people measure things the same way. Give people an estimate in Meters and they’ll be all like “how may feet is 10 meters”.

And to your point, I have no idea why we can’t measure temperature in c in smaller increments. We do it it F all the time. Ie this fish tank is 73.7F. Same fish tank could be 33.1 c  or whatever that converts to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

i use gps to traverse to McDonald’s in order to buy a15/128kg burger for lunch. Does that count?

huh a grid map, why? I just tell people “over by that funny rock thingy” usually works

clicks are usually 1/4 moa I think you’re introducing confusion here

argument invalid odometer in my car measures miles in 1/10s, so it’s easy, obviously. Alright fine 1760,3520,5280. Don’t ask me to divide them up.

because I said let’s meet at 7. Remind me again why you missed our breakfast meeting?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a machinist and as a practical matter decimal inches and Metric measurements work the exact same way with a different base dimension.

You can refer to a fraction of a mm just as you can a fraction of an inch. Those of us who make the world turn generally convert to decimals the instant we are being precise in our language. I can refer to 1/2 mm or a quarter mm but use decimals when writing down a number.

Once you get past the language and into actual decimal dimensions the two systems are identical except for the base dimension.

For me I just hit the inch/mm button on my digital read out and keep working.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Jokes are funnier when you explain the intellectual component. Thanks for doing it so I didn’t have to

But yeah, in not so many words, that was my point.(well that and people are stupid lol) Why else would I have converted a kg fractionally and ridiculously.

I wish we’d convert actually. Base 10 is better everything and I find the system concise consistent and relatable. I still talk in yards feet inches because that’s how all my developing sysanpes were connected so it’s easier, the country is built around the standard system, and other people measure things the same way. Give people an estimate in Meters and they’ll be all like “how may feet is 10 meters”.

And to your point, I have no idea why we can’t measure temperature in c in smaller increments. We do it it F all the time. Ie this fish tank is 73.7F. Same fish tank could be 33.1 c  or whatever that converts to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I think of yards I don't mentally divide by 30 ft increments,  I divide by 10 yard increments.  I think most people don't divide miles by yards but by 1/4 mile increments.

There really isn't much difference in the two systems but the fear and stupidity of those who don't want to learn.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#28]
If you can't use multiple systems of measuring something, you have a really smooth brain.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When I think of yards I don't mentally divide by 30 ft increments,  I divide by 10 yard increments.  I think most people don't divide miles by yards but by 1/4 mile increments.

There really isn't much difference in the two systems but the fear and stupidity of those who don't want to learn.
View Quote

True, and to be fair I hardly estimate anything in yards except golf courses and rifle ranges. Walls and other things are always feet or miles for bigger measurements. This walls about 15 feet( I’ve never said this is a 5 yard wide wall) or go about a half mile then turn left. As a matter of granularity, you can divide any base unit by any denomination and come up with a precise, repeatable answer. Somethings are just easier to do mentally and the base 10 system is objectively easier, plus has other advantages.

One specific example, one cc= One ml. Volume and dimensions are directly relatable under metric. 1000 ml=1000cc=1L How many gallons in a cubic foot? How many oz is that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you can't use multiple systems of measuring something, you have a really smooth brain.
View Quote

This is the suck part and causes a lot of errors.
I work in engineering at a machine shop. Some customers spec all tooling SAE, others metric, some a mix.
So we have to use both at the same time all day.
Some SAE tooling actually makes a part that is designed in metric. So we have SAE units on tool prints and metric units on product it makes. We usually just dual dimension everything.

The is far more milling tooling available in metric sizes, same with tool holders.
A lot of our equipment is Euro so obviously metric but you can swap the display. Being Euro it also has Euro electric spec so more different crap to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Land nav is extremely easy with miles and feet. The mile was literally developed based on the human walking pace. Your problem is your map is metric.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, I had an even pace about 690 paces per kilometer, or 69 paces per 100 m.

See how easy that is mathematically?

How many feet are in a mile or three miles? I need a calculator to figure that out.

The good thing about the metric system as you are using one unit of measurement for the entire system. You don't need to convert anything.

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are each set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in units of tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

No rational person would use miles and feet for land navigation because there is no advantage to doing so. I wouldn't want to have to bust out a calculator to figure out how far I have to go, or how far I've already traveled.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not too old to sense when I'm being insulted; but I'm perhaps too old to get the insult.  If you hope to make me understand I look bad or if you want me to feel bad, you're going to have to elaborate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Last I checked, I had an even pace about 690 paces per kilometer, or 69 paces per 100 m.

How many feet are in a mile or three miles? I need a calculator to figure that out.

The good thing about the metric system as you are using one unit of measurement for the entire system. You don't need to convert anything.

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are all set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

No rational person would use miles and feet for land navigation because there is no advantage to doing so. I wouldn't want to have to bust out a calculator to figure out how far I have to go, or how far I've already traveled.
View Quote

You need a calculator to do 5,280 x 3 in your head?  Do you need a calculator to divide that in half (half mile) your head?

I’m pretty that just means you’re not very good with numbers in your head.  That’s not we problem, it’s a you problem.

If I’ve walked 5 miles why do I need to know how many feet that is?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are each set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in units of tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you don't use feet or yards when orienteering, you use paces.

The modern mile isn't as practical as the Roman mile for most, but it is still roughly 1,000 paces per mile, with a pace being slightly over 5 feet.

100 paces for a tenth of a mile is significantly easier math than 69 paces per 100 m.

You are falling for the same trap as the anti-metric people - using familiarity as an equivalent to intuitiveness.

The mile was literally developed for the purpose of measuring distance based on foot marches.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm not too old to sense when I'm being insulted; but I'm perhaps too old to get the insult.  If you hope to make me understand I look bad or if you want me to feel bad, you're going to have to elaborate.
View Quote

What am I to say? You associated metric with communism when nothing about metric is inherently communist. You also said metric seems like a good idea in the classroom that then fails in the real world. My experience is the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I really like metric for thermodynamics. The units play a little nicer in my head. I’m indifferent otherwise.
View Quote

Can I interest you in specific heats measured in kW/lbm-°F?

I'm not really a fan of BTUs.  And throwing some unit of time into the denominator doesn't really sweeten the deal, either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can I interest you in specific heats measured in kW/lbm-°F?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The modern mile isn't as practical as the Roman mile for most, but it is still roughly 1,000 paces per mile, with a pace being slightly over 5 feet.

100 paces for a tenth of a mile is significantly easier math than 69 paces per 100 m.

You are falling for the same trap as the anti-metric people - using familiarity as an equivalent to intuitiveness.

The mile was literally developed for the purpose of measuring distance based on foot marches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, but when you range an enemy's position as being 350 meters from your location at a 25° direction/azimuth, I can immediately place him on a grid map measured out in kilometers/meters.

I've never ranged a target out in tenths of a mile, nor have I done so in paces. Paces are just a way to determine the number of meters traveled. Those measurements can be placed directly onto the map. If I know a weapon can hit a point target out to 600 meters, I know exactly at which landmark on a map that weapon can reach out to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You need a calculator to do 5,280 x 3 in your head?  Do you need a calculator to divide that in half (half mile) your head?

I’m pretty that just means you’re not very good with numbers in your head.  That’s not we problem, it’s a you problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With emperial, you have inches, feet, yards, miles, and they are all set with different arbitrary base numbers.  Our entire numerical system is based in tens. We start over every 10 digits. 22, 32, 42, etc.

Because if you're in the woods doing landnav, knowing how many feet traveled equates to how many miles, is kinda important.

Your system of using feet/miles only offers added complexity while adding zero value.

I clean my bathroom floors with a mop, not a toothbrush. But some people make a hobby out of making simple tasks needlessly time consuming for themselves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay, but when you range an enemy's position as being 350 meters from your location at a 25° direction/azimuth, I can immediately place him on a grid map measured out in kilometers/meters.

I've never ranged a target out in tenths of a mile, nor have I done so in paces. Paces are just a way to determine the number of meters traveled. Those measurements can be placed directly onto the map. If I know a weapon can hit a point target out to 600 meters, I know exactly at which landmark on a map that weapon can reach out to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's only because your map is metric.

You're being silly.

Make that map based in miles, and that changes.

You get used to what you use. And you use what you're used to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I clean my bathroom floors with a mop, not a toothbrush. But some people make a hobby out of making simple tasks needlessly time consuming for themselves.
View Quote

This. We should seek to make things simple, not complex.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because if you're in the woods doing landnav, knowing how many feet traveled equates to how many miles, is kinda important.

Your system of using feet/miles only offers added complexity while adding zero value.

View Quote

Who worries about feet travelled?

I walk in paces, not feet.  Everyone’s pace is different.  

Ok.  Now go 1/3 of a kilometer at 15°, .57 km at 90°, 1.7 km at 320° and then .44 km at 270°.

No calculator. How many meters did you travel?  How is this easier than feet or paces?

ETA: paces aren’t yards or meters.  And the difference adds up quick.  I don’t think you’ve ever actually done land nav.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Period.

View Quote

Damn open a history book. Thomas Jefferson was not a communist. Metric was invented about 50 years prior to Marx writing down his drivel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Nearly every new vehicle on the road is built with MM size fasteners. Many can be broken down quite a ways with a 10mm socket & wrench.

I rarely use a SAE tools these days.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok.  Now go 1/3 of a kilometer at 15°, .57 km at 90°, 1.7 km at 320° and then .44 km at 270°.

No calculator. How many meters did you travel?  How is this easier than feet or paces?

ETA: paces aren’t yards.  And the difference adds up quick.  I don’t think you’ve ever actually done land nav.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: paces aren’t yards.  And the difference adds up quick.  I don’t think you’ve ever actually done land nav.

No shit paces arn't yards. My pace count for 100 meters is 69 paces. The purpose of paces is just to determine what distance you travel in meters (or yards/feet). Once you have used paces to determine distance traveled in meters, you can forget the pace count.

You don't range objects in your landscape in fractions of a kilometer. You range them directly using meters (50, 60, 180 meters), which plugs directly into kilometers on a 2D map.

I don't think YOU understand how landnav works.

Atleast the Bohr guy and I are on the same page, regarding our point of disagreement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No shit paces arn't yards. My pace count for 100 meters is 69 paces. The purpose of paces is just to determine what distance you travel in meters (or yards/feet). Once you have used paces to determine distance traveled in meters, you can forget the pace count.

You don't range objects in your landscape in fractions of a kilometer. You range them directly using meters (50, 60, 180 meters), which plugs directly into kilometers on a 2D map.

Atleast the Bohr guy and I are on the same page, regarding our point of disagreement.
View Quote

Everything is an easily divisible number away, ending in 0?

Do you ever navigate on foot around objects or terrain?  You only walk in a straight line over flat ground?  Or are you only considering ranging?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do you ever navigate on foot around objects or terrain?  You only walk in a straight line over flat ground?  Or are you only considering ranging?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can add variables, turns, obstacles. But I'm discussing the fundamental principles involving the scale of distance, both when looking directly at your terrain in front of your feet, and when plotting things on a map.

Metrics are much easier to scale up or scale down because you are using a uniform system.

Using a system of 10s is easier because our numerical system is fundamentally divided into a sequence of 10s.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Using a system of 10s is easier because our numerical system is fundamentally divided into a sequence of 10s.
View Quote

The importance of this observation seems to be lost on many.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Also, for any metric holdouts you get more beer with imperial pints.

WHICH ARE THE ONLY PINT GLASSES ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE
View Quote

You get more wine with the metric system too. .

In the US you typically get a 5 or 6oz pour as a “glass” of wine. In Europe you get 250ml.

For those that don’t want to do the maths: US 4-5 glasses per bottle, Europe 3 glasses per bottle.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top