[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite handgun round by far.

And here's the hungry beast:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
In factory loads it is downloaded so routinely to .40 levels it is mostly a longer, weaker version of what it's supposed to be.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Best mm?   (I don't own one, but would consider one in a subgun or something).
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Fpni
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Supposed to be good in bear country.  Expensive?  Check.  Hard to find ammo?  Probably.  Limited number of available guns?  Ya.  Do want?  Very!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In factory loads it is downloaded so routinely to .40 levels it is mostly a longer, weaker version of what it's supposed to be.
View Quote

That depends on what factory load you're buying.  As a blanket statement, that's pretty much bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Supposed to be good in bear country.  Expensive?  Check.  Hard to find ammo?  Probably.  Limited number of available guns?  Ya.  Do want?  Very!
View Quote

There are more models of 10mm right now than there ever have been before if I am not mistaken.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
G20sf with full power hard cast goes with me hunting. Spare mag of full power JHP for any 2 legged critters if they want to get unruly.

Also have a vector in 10mm, love them though I don't shoot as often.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are more models of 10mm right now than there ever have been before if I am not mistaken.
View Quote

By far. In the old days it was a Bren, S&W, Colt, or something weird like a Javelina or MegaStar.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
G20sf with full power hard cast goes with me hunting. Spare mag of full power JHP for any 2 legged critters if they want to get unruly.

Also have a vector in 10mm, love them though I don't shoot as often.
View Quote

Whats the main difference between the SF and Gen 4? I'm trying to look this up but can't find any solid answers.

Dimensions are identical.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

You can find badass factory loads, but of course you'll pay dearly ($).

If you're going to load ammunition yourself, .40 will likely do anything you'll need it to do, plus you've got the option to buy less expensive bulk ammunition for training/plinking purposes.

Of course, you can shoot .40 S&W out of a 10mm Glock.
You cannot shoot .40 S&W out of a 10mm MP5/10 however (due to how the extractor works).
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.

You can find badass factory loads, but of course you'll pay dearly ($).

If you're going to load ammunition yourself, .40 will likely do anything you'll need it to do, plus you've got the option to buy less expensive bulk ammunition for training/plinking purposes.

Of course, you can shoot .40 S&W out of a 10mm Glock.
You cannot shoot .40 S&W out of a 10mm MP5/10 however (due to how the extractor works).
View Quote

Yup shoot 40 out of my g20 when I just want reps without cost. Hear negative because ita held by the extractor but so far so good ..
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
My rough around the edges old Delta.  Picked it up with the finish issues.  I added the Sambar Stag grips.  My "medium hot" handload is 11.4gr of AA#9 under a 200gr ACME hardcast coated TC.  Just shy of 1100fps.  Shown with Doubletap 155gr Barnes.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I favor it in theory, but oppose it in practice. I say this after buying a G20 that's great for what it offers as a woods gun, but is mostly a miserable pistol for almost anything else. YMMV. My first and last Glock.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just about the best semi auto woods gun out there.  I shot mine yesterday after rigging it up in a HPG runner's kit bag.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have been feeling inadequate lately and have already lifted a vehicle it is probably worth trying.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I like it.
Have one 1911 and a Ruger MC chambered in 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I favor it in theory, but oppose it in practice. I say this after buying a G20 that's great for what it offers as a woods gun, but is mostly a miserable pistol for almost anything else. YMMV. My first and last Glock.
View Quote

Let me know if you don't want it anymore!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mean recoil or ergonomics?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whats the main difference between the SF and Gen 4? I'm trying to look this up but can't find any solid answers.

View Quote

Changeable grip pieces, larger mag release, and dual recoil spring/guide rod IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
10mm is bestest mm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The SF is based on Gen 3, so different grip texture and non-interchangeable back straps. Recoil system is different.

Gen4 has interchangeable back straps and "improved" recoil system.

G20SF

G20 Gen4
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That depends on what factory load you're buying.  As a blanket statement, that's pretty much bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my observation it is true for S&B and Federal American Eagle 10mm 180 gr.  They both chrono around 1050 fps which is only a little better than 40 which get over 1000 fps.  Underwood or Reloads get it up to 1200 fps.  Supposedly sig ammo is up there too.  I like my 10 but don't shoot it enough.  Need to change that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Changeable grip pieces, larger mag release, and dual recoil spring/guide rod IIRC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SF is also a gen 3, so it has a less textured grip.

I was going to "upgrade" to the Gen 4, but it wasn't worth it for me.

I already put a larger mag release on my G20SF, and upgraded the guide rod to a captured guide rod with a heavier spring.

Maybe if a Gen 5 comes out.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
10mm is bestest mm.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, gotta watchout, some manufactures actually get a few more fps out of their 40S&W inkind version.....that said, if can be loaded to 357 energy levels too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Good idea to have several as they tend to get lost.

10mm is good for yogi, snagglepus and bullwinkle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Cartridge/ammo threads are GD's version of auto forum oil threads
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#36]
If considering a Glock, might want to consider the G21 and get a 10mm conversion barrel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do you mean recoil or ergonomics?
View Quote

Recoil isn't a problem. I had a tough time adapting to the grip-to-bore angle...took me several boxes to reach minimum acceptable proficiency with it, and I own quite a few handguns and shoot fairly well. The underside of the trigger guard rubbed my middle finger raw, which I read is fairly common...and the "fix" is to take a Dremel to the frame, which I won't do. The sights were poor, and the Trigs I replaced them with ran another $100, but resisted the LGS' attempt to sell me an aftermarket trigger which they assured me really "upped the performance level".  

Just personal preference, it's also the only striker fired pistol I own, and I won't buy another of those, either. I wanted cheap and reliable as a hiking and canoe/kayak gun that I wouldn't be too upset over losing in deep water. Reliability is great, cheap...not so much.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Fo with RIA 1911A2 16+1 of 10mm for about $850.

LOVE mine.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I prefer a 357 mag but get why people want a 10mm auto.
Bill drill with M19-3 shooting .357 magnum.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I personally prefer 88 Magnum, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Worth having?
View Quote

Only if it’s in a M41A
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The Glock 10mm pistols can shoot .40 without modification. So you do not have to spend big money on target shooting. The advantage is that 10mm can do anything a .40 can, but a .40 can't do everything a 10mm can. 10mm is enough gun for anything on this continent.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Recoil isn't a problem. I had a tough time adapting to the grip-to-bore angle...took me several boxes to reach minimum acceptable proficiency with it, and I own quite a few handguns and shoot fairly well. The underside of the trigger guard rubbed my middle finger raw, which I read is fairly common...and the "fix" is to take a Dremel to the frame, which I won't do. The sights were poor, and the Trigs I replaced them with ran another $100, but resisted the LGS' attempt to sell me an aftermarket trigger which they assured me really "upped the performance level".  

Just personal preference, it's also the only striker fired pistol I own, and I won't buy another of those, either. I wanted cheap and reliable as a hiking and canoe/kayak gun that I wouldn't be too upset over losing in deep water. Reliability is great, cheap...not so much.
View Quote

I can't deny any of those things even though I like them.  For me it's the fact that nothing is as good as a single action revolver so everything else just sucks in different degrees.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#46]
If you reload and/or buy Underwood and Buffalo Bore then yes. All others are watered down to 40 levels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

He’s right you know.
Here are just a few.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh. If you have brown bear country worries, go for it. I don’t. I live in the suburbs of the south east. Our Bares are smaller than most members on here.

I’ve shot a bunch, hate the Glock, enjoy it in a 1911. But for punching paper it’s overkill, and for carry it’s not needed. Get some heavy lead for whatever you carry anyway and move on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I know, right.  At least weekly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Dead niche cartridge, oh wait that was 10-15 years ago now it's the best thing ever.

I got mine in '99 for the loading flexibility, I like it. I would have never bought one if I didn't relaod. I have tens of thousands of rounds through mine but not a single factory round fired through it, mostly lead( oh no, factory Glock barrel).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top