Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
How many people think Emmitt Smith is the greatest running back of all time?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's also a cheater.
View Quote

To quote Richard Petty: If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!"

I remember Biletnikoff slathering on Stik-em before games. Another DB would spray Pam on his jersey to he couldn't be held. Phil Neikro threw spitballs with vasoline & scuffed baseballs with a ring. Both Neikro & Biletnikoff are in their respective HOFs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if he will get into coaching if/when he retires?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would take Joe Montana in his prime over Brady any day.
View Quote

Would've been an interesting match-up, IMO.

But look at Montanna in his last season, with the Chiefs. He just couldn't get them over the hump & back to the SB. Brady not only got his team there, they also dominated the Chiefs defense.

Montanna was surrounded with All-Pro's & future HOFs with the 49ers. Brady? Not so much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eli was a mediocre quarterback that surfed on great defenses (so was Peyton’s swansong).
View Quote

You don't win two SB's by being "mediocre" anything, much less QB.

Not disagreeing that Peyton rode his defense in Denver. If you watched his play-off games, you could see he had very, very little left in his physical gas tank. He was simply just worn out. Yet he delivered a SB win despite that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[snip]

GOATS are measured by championships. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Ruth, Gehrig, Montanna, Unitas, etc are judged by the number of times they won the last game in their seasons. Brady has the most in football & did it with two entirely different teams & systems & coaches. I believe he's also the oldest to win a SB as well as a non-WW2 season championship in the NFL.

That and some coin will get you a cup of coffee.

Based on your "logic", you're gonna need a LOT of coin.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/MJ_jpg-1816042.JPG

What does this mean:

"I believe he's also the oldest to win a SB as well as a non-WW2 season championship in the NFL."
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The measure of a GOAT is the athlete’s ability to win the pinnacle achievement for their sport over time. What makes Brady the goat is the pure number of wins, QB rating, % of wins and number of Super Bowl wins.  All of this with different team makeups and a completely different team/coach with this last one.  You can also add in clutch wins over time.

Every team that plays uses what ever edge they can get away with to win.  They all cheat.  If you don’t believe this you’re kidding yourself.

Brady played in a league that allowed free agency. He had a team switch up every 2-3 years. Bradshaw/Montana basically had the same teams for their wins.  You can make the argument they had it easier because the nucleus of their teams was the same.

Brady (20 seasons and rolling) played during a time when the QB had less chance of cheap shot hits....whatever this BS is.  One thing that makes him a great athlete is his ability to avoid serious injuries.
Montana 12 seasons
Bradshaw 14 seasons
Elway 16 seasons
Moreno 17 seasons
Brett Farve 16 seasons
Bart Star 20 seasons
Fran Tarkenton 18 seasons
George Blanda 26 seasons
Warren Moon 17 seasons
Payton Manning 18 Seasons
Eli Manning 17 Seasons

But Eli, this has nothing to do with anything. Patriots lost how many playoff games and didn’t make the Super Bowl. Lost to Eagles in Super Bowl.  In 20 seasons he’s won 7 Super Bowls. He’s been to 10 Super Bowls.  Let that sink in. Half of his career to date he’s made the pinochle of his sports season ending championship...think about it.

Belichick....well this season showed how many points coaches score for wins.  Not taking anything away from his career (most rings anybody in game), but teams play on the field.

But the refs lost the game for my team.  Degenerate gamblers everywhere approve of this logic.

The league favors Brady..... yeah.  Famous last argument of a loosing teams and fanbois.

I’m not a Patriot fan or a Brady fan. In fact for the last two seasons I haven’t watched a game except last nights game. I was interested to see Brady vs Mahomes.  Since I haven’t watched a game I had no idea what each team was like.  Brady didn’t disappoint. The Chiefs couldn't beat the Buck’s D and could adapt to Brady. They gave up on the 4th when they realized they couldn’t.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, the is THE best gay RB to have ever played in the NFL, there's that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not disagreeing that Peyton rode his defense in Denver. If you watched his play-off games, you could see he had very, very little left in his physical gas tank. He was simply just worn out. Yet he delivered a SB win despite that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eli was a mediocre quarterback that surfed on great defenses (so was Peyton’s swansong).

There are far better quarterbacks than Eli that didn’t get to skate into Super Bowls on great defenses. He didn’t get them there, he just didn’t make enough mistakes for them to lose (which is still pretty good, by the way... Eli will be the worst QB of the modern era that makes it into the HOF, and that’s a sad thing).
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are far better quarterbacks than Eli that didn’t get to skate into Super Bowls on great defenses. He didn’t get them there, he just didn’t make enough mistakes for them to lose (which is still pretty good, by the way... Eli will be the worst QB of the modern era that makes it into the HOF, and that’s a sad thing).
View Quote

I'm hoping Stafford gets his chance after being traded.........he is a good one and was always stuck with the Lions and no further explanation is needed when it comes to the fucking Lions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great players almost always make horrible coaches. There's a few exceptions, such as the Celtics K.C. Jones. Yogi Berra might be another exception. Aside from them, not many.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm hoping Stafford gets his chance after being traded.........he is a good one and was always stuck with the Lions and no further explanation is needed when it comes to the fucking Lions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The giants’ organization was so brilliant in every other aspect during that period, though. There were half a dozen active QBs at the time that would have out that team in 3-4 more Super Bowls. Eli wasn’t that good, just “good enough”.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does this mean:

"I believe he's also the oldest to win a SB as well as a non-WW2 season championship in the NFL."
View Quote

"non-WW2 NFL Championship" means non-Super Bowl years outside of WW2.

During WW2, most players who were physically able were drafted into the services. Those left playing were generally too old to make a "normal" roster.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The giants’ organization was so brilliant in every other aspect during that period, though. There were half a dozen active QBs at the time that would have out that team in 3-4 more Super Bowls. Eli wasn’t that good, just “good enough”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that it if wasn't for the two Super Bowl victories he would probably have little chance of making the HOF.

ETA:  There was an article I read a while back asking HOF voters where he stood with them........he will not make it unless they have a change of heart.

In essence they said he was good but not that good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Great players almost always make horrible coaches. There's a few exceptions, such as the Celtics K.C. Jones. Yogi Berra might be another exception. Aside from them, not many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady may be the hardest working player ever.  I can’t imagine him coaching guys that don’t work their ass off. It would be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Ravens had several QB's that "skated" on the defense through the years. Not a single one of those QB's won more than one SB apiece.

Eli didn't have a whole lot of help on offense in many of his years with the Giants. His o-line was just awful the last 5-6 years. None were All-Pro. In fact, I don't believe ANY of his o-line was All-Pro in his two SB years. I could be wrong on that, someone correct me if I am. Yet despite all that, he beat the Patriots TWICE.

Eli isn't backing into the HOF by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GOAT?   Speak english.
View Quote

WTF, did you get off that island you were on?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Tampa coaches did a heck of a job getting that team ready to play against KC.
It shows they watched plenty of film and planned.

Kansas got outplayed and out coached...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some of those calls were bad but overall I agree......Tampa dominated KC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#20]
As a Bills fan I'm just glad he's not in the AFC East anymore.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don't think those calls would have mattered maybe KC would have had 3 or 7 more points but the end would have still been the same.
Hats off to Tampa they played some dang good football. I was expecting a closer game.

I could almost hear the tears dropping from the announcers though

Will be interesting to see how well KC does next year as teams are going to watch last night game and try to do similar.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a Cowboys homer and I do not think that.    He always ran behind a monster line.

Imo the best RB of all time is Barry Sanders.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Every player who scored a touchdown yesterday was there because of Tom Brady.

Tom Brady; 3 TD passes.
Gronk who followed Brady to Tampa; two touchdown catches from Brady.
Brown who Brady talked into coming to Tampa; a touchdown catch from Brady.
Fournette who was talked into coming to Tampa by Brady; a rushing touchdown on a handoff from Brady.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Absolutely!  No one gets more out of himself or his team than TB12.
View Quote

Like OP said I am not even a TB fan.  I am a Dan Marino and Dolphins die hard.  

There is no denying that this guy is one of the best to ever play the position.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah I don't think those calls would have mattered maybe KC would have had 3 or 7 more points but the end would have still been the same.
Hats off to Tampa they played some dang good football. I was expecting a closer game.

I could almost hear the tears dropping from the announcers though

Will be interesting to see how well KC does next year as teams are going to watch last night game and try to do similar.
View Quote

Oh I think KC will be back.......they just had a bad game for the amount of talent they have.

Just one of those nights I guess for KC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Love him or hate him, he's the fucking GOAT without question.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Every player who scored a touchdown yesterday was there because of Tom Brady.

Tom Brady; 3 TD passes.
Gronk who followed Brady to Tampa; two touchdown catches from Brady.
Brown who Brady talked into coming to Tampa; a touchdown catch from Brady.
Fournette who was talked into coming to Tampa by Brady; a rushing touchdown on a handoff from Brady.
View Quote

There is simply no denying that at the very least Brady is a very special player.

Automatic Hall of Famer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm a Cowboys homer and I do not think that.    He always ran behind a monster line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Smith and Brady are similar in many ways. They both benefit from great teams, have put up great seasons and have great career stats and championships.  Truly great players but hard to say they are the best ever at their position.  

They certainly have had the best careers at their position though.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree.  Smith and Brady are similar in many ways. They both benefit from great teams, have put up great seasons and have great career stats and championships.  Truly great players but hard to say they are the best ever at their position.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady made mediocre receivers like Deion Branch look like superstars, had no running backs, and some pretty average o-lines.

C’mon man....
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Negative ghost rider. And here is why.

If Tom was a rookie in 1970 instead of 2000 we would be Brady who?

#1 Rules have been tweaked to favor the offensive passing game alot since the Mel Blount rule of 1978 and esp the fantasy football rule changes.

#2 the Giants beat Tom twice and both times it was said due to pressure up the middle from the Giants D-line. Hence the Purple people eater, Orange crush, Doomsday defense, Raiders defense, and the Steel Curtain would have ate Brady up and spit him out!!!!!!!

#3 If you move Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and John Elway forward to the rules Brady played with, they would exceed Brady's records and reduce what Brady has accomplished. Brady is only where he is because of the rules he has played under and again lasted as long as he has because rules against hitting the sissy pussy quaterbacks.

Not saying Brady is not great, just not the GOAT because of the rules Brady played under.

View Quote

And if you take Would've, Could've, Should've and a $1.98 you can buy a donut.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I watched a bit last night- first time I’ve watched an NFL game in years. Just to see whether Brady still has it.

Yup.

He is the best QB to ever play the game. I don’t think there’s a QB playing now or retired, HOF or otherwise that would disagree.

Didn’t even look like they deflated the balls this time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

During WW2, most players who were physically able were drafted into the services. Those left playing were generally too old to make a "normal" roster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does this mean:

Ok, got it, thanks!

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#33]
KC depleted o-line was the difference in the game.

But yes, Tom Brady is the goat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not very many. What's your point?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Brady made mediocre receivers like Deion Branch look like superstars, had no running backs, and some pretty average o-lines.

C’mon man....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C’mon man....

Deion Branch was a very good receiver, they had a good running game  with well rounded backs that could block and catch too and he was carried by the defense in those days.  It was only later that he really came into his own as a top QB.

It is those early years where he was a system guy that makes some debate this issue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted earlier that he is very similar to Brady in his accomplishments but rarely does anyone say he is the best ever.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

KC had 3 offensive linemen out of position, 2 of which were backups. Little to do with being outplayed and outcoached, its the second time they've lost in like 25 games. Their coaches were handicapped against a solid Bucs defense- the Bucs defensive line is the possibly the best in the league. Their defensive game plan was simple- they could dominate the horrible KC line and still keep 7 in coverage.  Not much strategy coaching wise needed giving the circumstances.
The Chiefs only hope was to use extra TE's and backs to help their shitty tackles, and then the 7 man secondary goes from covering 5 receivers to covering 3. And taking Kelce out of routes to block hurts a ton.

I was an unbiased Cowboys fan in this game, I really was hoping KC would make it more entertaining, but I knew going in that Mahomes would have to muster more magic than he ever has to escape the overwhelming advantage the Bucs had up front.

I think Mahomes talent and the Chiefs staff will allow them to be there nearly as often as Brady has the last 2 decades, but the concussion, toe, and injured lineman the last 3 weeks made an overwhelming difference.

And it does make you realize Brady's ability to stay healthy through the playoffs every year, especially at his age now- even farther illustrate his greatness.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I posted earlier that he is very similar to Brady in his accomplishments but rarely does anyone say he is the best ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the surface, that's a valid point. However, it fails to take into account that Emmitt Smith ran behind what is widely regarded as the best Offensive Line in NFL history. It fails to account for the other skill position weapons on his offense, many of whom were pro-bowlers and even a handful of Hall-of-Famers. Brady has had a smattering of top-tier talent over the course of his career, but nothing like what Smith consistently had in Dallas.

In short, Brady is different because he is the difference maker, while many regard Smith as being the beneficiary of other player's greatness.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]
"Inside the mind of Tom Brady" NFL films on youtube...........    

if you're bored, worth looking for.   very inspiring video.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#40]
GOAT? In the modern era maybe.
In the "what concussion" and "don't go over the middle" era, no.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He is the best including across all sports.  More dominant and clutch than Jordan,  Tyson, Gretzky, Tiger woods,  LeBron,  Montana, ali, Chainberlan, Kobe. Tony Hawk , Efron Reyes.
View Quote

Ah Tiger Woods whipped golfs ass for a long time. He dominated damn near every game that was played for a decade.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Deion Branch was a very good receiver, they had a good running game  with well rounded backs that could block and catch too and he was carried by the defense in those days.  It was only later that he really came into his own as a top QB.

It is those early years where he was a system guy that makes some debate this issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C’mon man....

Deion went elsewhere to be “the man”. Didn’t take him long to come back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C’mon man....

He was actually pretty decent in Seattle but had lots of injuries.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#44]
At times last night, he reminded me of Staubach. I haven't seen anyone approach that level for quite awhile. I never saw it in his New England years.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Negative ghost rider. And here is why.

If Tom was a rookie in 1970 instead of 2000 we would be Brady who?

#1 Rules have been tweaked to favor the offensive passing game alot since the Mel Blount rule of 1978 and esp the fantasy football rule changes.

#2 the Giants beat Tom twice and both times it was said due to pressure up the middle from the Giants D-line. Hence the Purple people eater, Orange crush, Doomsday defense, Raiders defense, and the Steel Curtain would have ate Brady up and spit him out!!!!!!!

#3 If you move Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and John Elway forward to the rules Brady played with, they would exceed Brady's records and reduce what Brady has accomplished. Brady is only where he is because of the rules he has played under and again lasted as long as he has because rules against hitting the sissy pussy quaterbacks.

Not saying Brady is not great, just not the GOAT because of the rules Brady played under.

View Quote

^^^ /This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Brady is the Goat, no question.

But the Bucs front 4 kept Mahomes running and totally shut him down for 4 straight quarters.

Brady won for the offense, but Todd Bowles, and the front 4 won for the defense.  Damn good team IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Goat????

Brady -  7 Titles

Russell - 11 Titles.

Goat = Russell.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Goat????

Brady -  7 Titles

Russell - 11 Titles.

Goat = Russell.
View Quote

Are we talking team sport player?

Jack 18 Majors..
Although I think Tiger is the GOAT

Roger and Nadal have 20 Majors

Russell has 11 titles but there were only a hand full of teams
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C’mon man....

“Pretty decent” isn’t exactly a HOF nomination.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top