Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You don't need a replica musket to get started. You can get a good quality used rifle for $200-$300 if you shop around.

These three are .36 squirrel rifles I got for $140 each. They're not fancy, but they'll get you into the game for a few bucks.

What Brand are those?
I've been looking for a .36, but I want one in hawken style and I typically see them in the penn style.
I want a flinter, but typically if they off one, they have the other.

I'd love to walk into a gunshow/shop and see one of those for 140.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been trying to find a Brown Bess type that isn't a $1000+.

I was actually looking at Matchlocks too. There is some skill that is dying away.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket7.htm

$500

All you have to do is drill the vent hole. They are made in India but are safe to shoot. Id trim the wood and replace the frizzen. Loyalist arms has a little nicer one for $630.

That's nice.

Thank You,

If you go with one of the Indian produced muskets, I recommend getting it from Middlesex Village Trading Co., or one of his dealers like Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop.  MVTC drills the vent hole and tunes the locks. The MVTC French M1717 that I posted earlier in this thread was bought at Dixon's. Between my father, brother, and I, we have four guns from MVTC: the M1717, a Tulle Fusil de Chasse, a Long Land Pattern Brown Bess, and a British Sea Service pistol.

The finish on the Indian guns isn't as good as the Italian repros. However, the locks all spark very well and are fast.

A lot of guys are down on the Indian guns, claiming they are unsafe, but there is only one documented instance where one kaboomed, and that was due to gross negligence on the part of the owner.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think that's the most beautiful pistol I've ever seen.

I'd get into black powder, but it's so hard to find real black powder.  I don't think I've seen it in a store in thirty years.z

Thanks, it's a nice shooter, as are my other Piettas. I'm fortunate in that I can find real BP within an hour's drive. Still, even with Pyrodex or Hodgdon Triple 7, they are fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the most beautiful pistol I've ever seen.

I'd get into black powder, but it's so hard to find real black powder.  I don't think I've seen it in a store in thirty years.z

Thanks, it's a nice shooter, as are my other Piettas. I'm fortunate in that I can find real BP within an hour's drive. Still, even with Pyrodex or Hodgdon Triple 7, they are fun to shoot.  

You can buy real BP from Powderinc and have it delivered to your door. He does have a 5# minimum order size, but his prices include shipping and hazmat fees.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't need a replica musket to get started. You can get a good quality used rifle for $200-$300 if you shop around.

These three are .36 squirrel rifles I got for $140 each. They're not fancy, but they'll get you into the game for a few bucks.

What Brand are those?
I've been looking for a .36, but I want one in hawken style and I typically see them in the penn style.

Those are CVA Bobcats. The Bobcat was a .50, but it was also offered in .36 and marketed as the Squirrel Rifle. That's what it says on the box, but the barrel is stamped 'Bobcat'. So search for both names if you're looking for one. There's also another CVA Squirrel Rifle they made a long time ago, it was a nice Hawken-type half-stock style. I think it was a .32. They come up frequently on gunbroker, but the price is higher because it's a nicer rifle.

They stopped making the Bobcat long time ago, so you'll have to search for used. Most Bobcats had a synthetic stock, the wood ones are harder to find. Also, the .36 is harder to find than the .50. The barrel is drilled and tapped for scope bases, it that's your persuasion. I'd keep an eye on the gun auction sites.

I'm picking up a flintlock T/C Hawken soon that has a custom .36 barrel on it. I've had it on layaway for a couple of months.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Another advantage of a muzzleloader is that they are just good looking.
I need to get a pic of the whole rifle sometime, but the pic below shows a little of the beautiful maple wood stock on my .40.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, this thread is timely! I've been thinking about getting into traditional black powder.  Everything I need is in my cabelas catalog and the prices are pretty damn good!
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Brand are those?

Those are CVA Bobcats.

Thanks.
I actually have a .50 bobcat with the synthetic stock I use as a loaner.
I saw one at the last gunshow I was at for 130. I paid 90ish for mine, new.

I kinda thought they looked like CVAs, but I didn't want to guess wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks.
I actually have a .50 bobcat with the synthetic stock I use as a loaner.
I saw one at the last gunshow I was at for 130. I paid 90ish for mine, new.

I kinda thought they looked like CVAs, but I didn't want to guess wrong.

Oh. Well, there ya go. It's just the .36 version of that.

You might try Deer Creek Products in Indiana. They used to carry them, I don't know if they have any left. They don't have a website, just call and ask them.

(765) 525-6181

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My old man has a .32, and a .50. As soon as I can afford one and afford the time, I plan on getting a long rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, those brass cartridges, smokeless propellant and shaved pussies are hard to turn back from.
Once you go modern....... well, you know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The only way to go!
I have no use for those modern "so called" black powder firearms!

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yeah, those brass cartridges, smokeless propellant and shaved pussies are hard to turn back from.
Once you go modern....... well, you know.

Get both. I wasn't suggesting that traditional black powder guns replace modern firearms.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is also a shame we do not use rotary phones and hand crank to start cars any more either.

Things progress, guns included.

This.  There will always be a small percentage of people that use blackpowder, just as there are people using recurve bows, driving Model T Fords and flying Stearman's.  Most people adopt the latest and greatest for the reason that it was created....  It completes a task in a better manner than what preceded it.  

The people that use the old stuff have the werewithal and leisure time to do such.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Cap'n ball revolvers are a great time. I have half a dozen of em'.  Very connected to American history.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I need to get a pic of the whole rifle sometime, but the pic below shows a little of the beautiful maple wood stock on my .40.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x319/pepperbelly1/078.jpg

Very nice, I'd like to see the whole rifle.

That an L&R Durrs Egg lock?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I just had the opportunity to shoot a BP this weekend

I'm just a young wipper snapper, but I think I'm in love

I had a blast!
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#19]
i usually shoot my modern guns more often, but when I bring out my flintlocks, people just stare....and always come over and ask about them....it gets in the way my shooting

i love taking the time to tell people..especially kids about these guns.

i love seeing the hardcore guys shooting in raging winter conditions...not my thing, ive tried it....but just dont dg loading BP guns in the snowy cold.
I shoot BP heavily all summer and into fall.

and I hit the woods with my .58, to bag game during hunting season.
loved shooting Hogs at Fort Benning with .58

I call this one hogs bane my favorite flintlock rifle....its short for a traditional gun...30in barrel.
i wanted a Baker...but kits were outrageous...my uncle built me this one for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I shoot my flintlock more than my ARs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread made me shop for a flintlock rifle all day yesterday. Always wanted to get into it, just never bought anything.
I've never even fired a muzzleloader before.

Still shopping. I know nothing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread made me shop for a flintlock rifle all day yesterday. Always wanted to get into it, just never bought anything.
I've never even fired a muzzleloader before.

Still shopping. I know nothing.

This is a good place to go to for help.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x319/pepperbelly1/078.jpg

Very nice, I'd like to see the whole rifle.  

That an L&R Durrs Egg lock?

There are more pics here in the archive from a few years ago when I thought about selling it.
It's a jack garner from TVM. The exact style has been debated but it is closest to a Tennessee rifle. Someone told me the lock was a L&R in the Manton & Ashmore style.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Primitive black powder is fun to shoot but take some skill to do well. The locktime kills me.

A properly built and loaded flintlock is just as fast as a cap lock. Won't tough an inline, but who wants t shot those?

Nipples belong on a woman, not a man's rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Primitive black powder is fun to shoot but take some skill to do well. The locktime kills me.

A properly built and loaded flintlock is just as fast as a cap lock. Won't tough an inline, but who wants t shot those?

Nipples belong on a woman, not a man's rifle.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As near as you are to me there is a chance that my uncle was at the same event this past weekend. I'm 27 and getting ready to build a .50 and a .32 from kits. A few guys from work are getting the black powder bug as well. Being cheap to shoot and the fact a kit can go right to your door seem to be motivators.

If someone's lazy or not mechanically inclined a complete blackpowder gun can come right to your door in most states too, not just kits. They're maintenance intensive though. Proper cleaning is a must to prevent corrosion. Not a big deal, but I got an inline for $25 a couple years ago because that advice was ignored. Took me a week to clean it enough to see if it was still a shooter. Got it working well, sighted in and sold it to my dad for $50. He still got a deal and I made money.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
does anyone make a quality brown bess style muskatoon? where do you guys get your powder?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
does anyone make a quality brown bess style muskatoon? where do you guys get your powder?

Graf and sons sell the Swiss BP via web sales + Hazmat shipping.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The muzzleloader I want to shoot is owned by a guy at nitroexpress.com. Custom  built by Steve Zihn in(IIRC) Wyoming. Sidelock, similar to a hawken, but it's a fucking 2 bore. There's big guns, big big guns and shoulder fired artillery pieces.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As near as you are to me there is a chance that my uncle was at the same event this past weekend. I'm 27 and getting ready to build a .50 and a .32 from kits. A few guys from work are getting the black powder bug as well. Being cheap to shoot and the fact a kit can go right to your door seem to be motivators.

If someone's lazy or not mechanically inclined a complete blackpowder gun can come right to your door in most states too, not just kits. They're maintenance intensive though. Proper cleaning is a must to prevent corrosion. Not a big deal, but I got an inline for $25 a couple years ago because that advice was ignored. Took me a week to clean it enough to see if it was still a shooter. Got it working well, sighted in and sold it to my dad for $50. He still got a deal and I made money.

I can clean a Flintlock smoke pole faster than an AR.

1. Plug vent hole with tooth pick.
2. Remove lock with flathead screwdriver
3. Scrub barrel and lock (submerge) with hot soapy water using tooth brush and bore brush.
3. Rinse
4. Run dry patches down barrel till they come out clean.
5. Oily patches down barrel and wipe down lock
6. Reassembly and wipe down exterior metal and wood furniture with balistol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Cleaning a flintlock takes me about 15 minutes, including the lock. It's very simple. The horror stories about cleaning are from people who put much more labor into it than necessary.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
It's on my list of things to get to after I build a board longbow and a .22 pistol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuck in-lines.

OH doesn't allow rifles for deer so it's my best bet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Scrub barrel and lock (submerge) with hot soapy water using tooth brush and bore brush.
3. Rinse

Yes, they're easy to clean. That is, if you remember to clean them. Unlike AR15s and any other modern gun that fires noncorrosive ammo a muzzleloader must be cleaned soon after use. I should have clarified that it's not a big deal, just that it's important to make sure and clean blackpowder now, not tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cleaning a flintlock takes me about 15 minutes, including the lock. It's very simple. The horror stories about cleaning are from people who put much more labor into it than necessary.

Tell me your secrets, oh great one.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Whats everyones opinion on the lyman great plains rifle kit? I see they are about $400. Is it something that the average person can assemble and finish? I want a winter project, and always wanted to get into flintlocks.

Also, whats a good website to order supplies from?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whats everyones opinion on the lyman great plains rifle kit? I see they are about $400. Is it something that the average person can assemble and finish? I want a winter project, and always wanted to get into flintlocks.

I don't have any experience with them but the guys at the muzzleloading forums seem to like them a lot and consider them one of the best production guns.  

If I were spending $400 dollars on a kit, I might look at something from these guys:  http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/intro.html.  They have a few in that range.  

I get my supplies from Track of the Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The Lyman GPR is the best traditionally styled muzzleloader IMO. The kit is mostly done, all you should have to do is some sanding, polishing, minor fitting, and finishing.

Good online vendors include Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gunworks, and Cabela's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#39]
i hunt with a inline, but im looking at buying a nice reproduction, 50 caliber kentucky rifle, to hang on a wall of my house. local gun shop has some for $400-$500. I am going to buy a flintlock, and kill a deer with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#40]
they'll be the cool thing again in a few years

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I can only wait for the day when TN eliminates bow and muzzleloader seasons.

Y?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't know if traditional is popular or not but it is a huge passion of mine.  I wish they would make inline hunters hunt during regular rifle season and keep traditional muzzle loading for traditional shooters
I like shooting my 54 caliber Lyman GPR.  I built it from a kit probably 20 years ago and have put plenty of meat in the freezer with it.  I do think those of us who shoot traditional tend to improve our shooting ability.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3. Rinse

AR;

1. Lock back bolt.

2. Run bore snake.

3. put a drop of oil down the BCG vent holes

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#45]
This whole "smokeless powder" craze will blow over soon.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I've never even touched a BP gun but for some reason really want a 1600/1700s style pistol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It is also a shame we do not use rotary phones and hand crank to start cars any more either.

Things progress, guns included.

You've missed the whole point of shooting a smoke pole, entirely.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You might try Deer Creek Products in Indiana. They used to carry them, I don't know if they have any left. They don't have a website, just call and ask them.

(765) 525-6181

Hmm, didn't know Deer Creek was still around. Used to get catalogs from them, but haven't ordered in 10-12 years!

They used to sell an underhammer kit I REALLY wanted!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn your infernal contraptions of war! I long for the days of honour in battle.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/victor751/018-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/mike53787/021_zpsa17128e6.jpg

Wow!

I only have two gonnes, would have been three but I got talked out of the .69 I was making before it was even finished.

I have a full sized .50 (machined by a friend) and a .25 caliber mini that I machined. (The .69 was a full size version of it.)

I'm probably going to bore/ream the .50 out to a larger bore because the bore is still rougher than I would like despite honing. I'll see if I can get the .69 reamer again, and will leave a powder chamber at .50 diameter to maintain the 'one caliber rule.'

I would have drilled it undersize and reamed it. But I didn't make that one.

OBTW: That .25 was designed and built with a powder chamber - .188"D x .375"L hemispherical bottom. That was fun!

http://www.fototime.com./%7B1EBC390F-1BE5-4A22-AEBD-1C6D42D2F4B9%7D/origpict/gonnes102312.jpg

ETA: Video of early .25cal gonne test fire, with patched airsoft pellet . Regular ammo is #4 buckshot pellet.

So these are smooth bore? Where can one get information on these?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Some day...........
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top