Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2023 9:00:31 AM EDT
I have outgrown my little Honda Civic. It's a nice city car but now that I live in Texas and drive more and am doing more outdoorsy stuff, I need something bigger and with more storage. My first thought was to get an SUV. They are bigger and have more storage space and would fill most of my needs. The one I really like is the Mazda CX-5 followed by a Subaru.

But then the thought crossed my mind about a truck. I don't tow anything and don't haul lumber of any "truck stuff" so it does seem kind of pointless but the truck would fit my camping stuff easier than an SUV. The only downside is the cost. Most trucks are significantly more expensive than smaller sized SUVs like the CX-5.

What would you recommend in my case?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Not towing anything?  Go with the SUV.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Trucks also hold their value better

Sounds like you might want to look at body on frame SUVs

I bought a body on frame SUV when I was in a similar situation as you 15 years ago. I love it, still have it, but wish I had purchased the truck version (Xterra vs frontier). Nothing the truck couldn’t have done too, with a cap
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
SUV with trailer hitch
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]
4Runner thread
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
SUV with a trailer hitch.

How much time do you spend hauling stuff in the bed?

Like the majority of Americans, it’s empty. When you need the big object it is easier to load in a trailer anyways.

Could also go full stranger danger and go with a work van with a hitch lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Those aren’t SUVs. Those are CUVs. They are unibody FWD cars with a lift and AWD. I’m not saying they’re bad vehicles, and they are handy, but it’s worth looking at the big picture.

The good news is, those CUVs tend to get 30+ MPG these days. The bad news is that architecture doesn’t lend itself to strong capability or durability.

A body on frame alternative like the 4Runner will be more capable, but it’s also going to be more expensive and it will get about 18 MPG.

Something like a Nissan Frontier is probably worth a look, too. You are in the target market for the midsize trucks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4Runner thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
4Runner thread

I like Toyota and have owned two of their vehicles but their interiors are so fugly. The Mazda is more of a lifted car than an SUV but the interior is much nicer looking.

Quoted:
Those aren’t SUVs. Those are CUVs. They are unibody FWD cars with a lift and AWD. I’m not saying they’re bad vehicles, and they are handy, but it’s worth looking at the big picture.

The good news is, those CUVs tend to get 30+ MPG these days. The bad news is that architecture doesn’t lend itself to strong capability or durability.

A body on frame alternative like the 4Runner will be more capable, but it’s also going to be more expensive and it will get about 18 MPG.

Something like a Nissan Frontier is probably worth a look, too. You are in the target market for the midsize trucks.

What are they called now? Crossovers? It's like the modern version of a station wagon I guess. The high MPG is a nice perk and I'm sure they drive quieter and more comfortable than something like a Suburban or 4Runner.

I do like the Tacoma but I'm not sure how often I would use the truck bed feature.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]
How often do you carry a bike, OP?

It’s a lot easier to throw my kids bikes into the bed of my truck than to drag out and install the hitch mounted carrier for the family SUV.

OTOH, I can sleep in the SUV whereas I need a tent with the truck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Highlander and it works well for camping, plenty of storage. Tows well too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SUV with a trailer hitch.

How much time do you spend hauling stuff in the bed?

Like the majority of Americans, it’s empty. When you need the big object it is easier to load in a trailer anyways.

Could also go full stranger danger and go with a work van with a hitch lol
View Quote

I traded my F-150 for a 4Runner a year ago, and while I really like the 4Runner, I have seriously been missing having a truck the whole time. Renting a trailer every time I need to move something big sucks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
F-250
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm..... Sounds like op needs a Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I do rather miss my 4x4 Ranger, which unfortunately broke in half around this time last year. Now have a Grand Cherokee. Lots of room inside, but for excess (or dirty/smelly) cargo, I acquired one of these and it is great. Just a thought.

Cargo Cage
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't have to hear or smell anything that's in the bed vs inside the cab of an SUV

Pros and cons to each
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I went back to a truck just to save on the clean up of hauling things. Sometimes I miss the SUV ( 4runner) , but tossing in bags of mulch , dirt , manure , target stands , ect is some much easier with the pick up.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Tesla model Y
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Except have access to your cargo while inside the vehicle.  
Or have your cargo in a climate-controlled environment to reduce condensation/moisture issues.
Or have your cargo remain dry, even in heavy rain or a car wash.
Or have padding (carpeting) so stuff isn't sliding all around banging into metal sidewalls.
Or have it more secure (vehicle alarm system, tinted windows, etc)
Or have extra interior room for dogs
Or have the ability to fold down the seats and sleep in a heated compartment

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing the truck couldn’t have done too, with a cap

Except have access to your cargo while inside the vehicle.  
Or have your cargo in a climate-controlled environment to reduce condensation/moisture issues.
Or have your cargo remain dry, even in heavy rain or a car wash.
Or have padding (carpeting) so stuff isn't sliding all around banging into metal sidewalls.
Or have it more secure (vehicle alarm system, tinted windows, etc)
Or have extra interior room for dogs
Or have the ability to fold down the seats and sleep in a heated compartment

Since I said it, I would have assumed that the “in my opinion” would have been apparent

Only the last two are really valid IMHO.
I’ve never put my dog in the rear of my Xterra unless he was muddy, cargo always goes back there and he gets the back seat
I have slept in it 3 times, in 16 years.  You aren’t wrong, but it’s not like I ran the engine for climate control

A frontier would have fit my needs better long term, but I don’t regret the Xterra
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#19]
If not towing get an suv. You will most likely prefer the interior room.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#20]
The word you seek is, "Ridgeline".  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
4Runner thread
View Quote

I'm debating between a 4runner or a Tacoma.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Truck...

...always truck
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he considers this, then go ahead and save $20k and order a ford maverick when the order banks open back up in a couple of months. Yes the ridge line is going to last longer and be better build quality. But it gets fairly bad gas mileage, is way more expensive, and doesn’t do anything the maverick can’t
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If he considers this, then go ahead and save $20k and order a ford maverick when the order banks open back up in a couple of months. Yes the ridge line is going to last longer and be better build quality. But it gets fairly bad gas mileage, is way more expensive, and doesn’t do anything the maverick can’t
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  OP the AWD Maverick or Ridgeline sounds perfect for you.  Kinda best of both worlds(CUV and truck mix)
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Trailer > Pick up
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Something to consider. Some states make you pay weight fees, like a commercial vehicle, for a pickup but not an SUV. If your state does your insurance company will also likely charge higher rates for the pickup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've owned a Tacoma, an F-250D and now a 4Runner.

The 4Runner wins hands down for best overall combination of attributes. No kids, so we keep the back seat folded down, two large kennels strapped in, and there's still room for almost everything we ever need to haul...including a 13 foot, two man inflatable kayak and all the accompanying gear. I have a roof rack to haul my hard shell canoe, and don't need a t-bar. With the back window down you can carry long objects just like a truck bed, and if you're really worried about messy cargo go buy a 10'x10' tarp from your farm store.

I've had to rent a trailer once, to haul 4,000 pounds of Presto log seconds and a pallet jack up a high ridge to our house. Handled it with no problem.

It's much more comfortable than the Tacoma and you have covered shelter if you want to overnight in it. You also don't have to load weight in the bed in snowy conditions, it's a mountain goat in winter driving. Four years and nothing has broken on it, despite plenty of offroad use. We just had the 30K service done on it (at 32K), and they found no mechanical faults...the entire inspection cost about $300 with a cabin filter and wipers.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
A crew cab pickup with roll up tonneau cover is really versatile. You can haul lots of stuff either inside the cab, or in the bed if it's wet and might smell bad.

Plus I need to haul around dirt bikes so a pickup makes more sense in my situation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Truck for me because dead animals and wet dogs are kinda nasty in an SUV ya know?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've owned a Tacoma, an F-250D and now a 4Runner.

The 4Runner wins hands down for best overall combination of attributes. No kids, so we keep the back seat folded down, two large kennels strapped in, and there's still room for almost everything we ever need to haul...including a 13 foot, two man inflatable kayak and all the accompanying gear. I have a roof rack to haul my hard shell canoe, and don't need a t-bar. With the back window down you can carry long objects just like a truck bed, and if you're really worried about messy cargo go buy a 10'x10' tarp from your farm store.

I've had to rent a trailer once, to haul 4,000 pounds of Presto log seconds and a pallet jack up a high ridge to our house. Handled it with no problem.

It's much more comfortable than the Tacoma and you have covered shelter if you want to overnight in it. You also don't have to load weight in the bed in snowy conditions, it's a mountain goat in winter driving. Four years and nothing has broken on it, despite plenty of offroad use. We just had the 30K service done on it (at 32K), and they found no mechanical faults...the entire inspection cost about $300 with a cabin filter and wipers.

View Quote
I have loved the 4Runners I had. If I didn't ride dirt bikes and need to haul them around all the time, I would still have my 4th gen. I think we are going to be getting one for my wife eventually.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#31]
You answered your own question. You want a SUV or CUV.

But then the thought crossed my mind about a truck. I don't tow anything and don't haul lumber of any "truck stuff" so it does seem kind of pointless but the truck would fit my camping stuff easier than an SUV. The only downside is the cost. Most trucks are significantly more expensive than smaller sized SUVs like the CX-5.
View Quote

Forget the Subaru jokes, they are very capable CUVs. I would look at an Outback or if you don’t need as much room a Crosstrek. If you will be going off road, they both come in a wilderness edition with 9.5” of ground clearance. The other trim levels offer 8.7” and white not as capable do well in off road situations. I would get the larger engine in either model.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I traded my F-150 for a 4Runner a year ago, and while I really like the 4Runner, I have seriously been missing having a truck the whole time. Renting a trailer every time I need to move something big sucks.
View Quote

Buy a trailer?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4Runner thread

Get both
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Buy a trailer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a trailer?

Like many, many people, I have nowhere to put one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#35]
First off…4Runner.

Now comparing a truck to a SUV, it all depends. With a truck you can tow more weight and throw really nasty stuff in the bed without damaging it too much. You could fold down the seats in a SUV and lay a tarp down, but something like dusty gravel, bulk mulch or even a bleeding deer is still likely to make a mess. I suppose there’s a way to mitigate it a bit more though. A truck has much less interior room. Even a big crew cab. If you bring a bunch of crap on a trip, you’re going to end up throwing stuff in storage containers to keep it dry or garbage bags. It’s also not secure. So you can throw in your greasy chainsaw and string trimmer to take to the cabin, but it might get stolen when you stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. You can add a cap to a truck, but climbing in and out of said truck is a pain in the ass.

I’d say that it depends entirely on how you want to use the vehicle. There’s considerable overlap with SUVs, but still noticeable differences. If we’re talking CUVs, then there are major differences.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Have a tundra but going to a Tahoe.

Truck was good when I had an airstream. With a bunch of kids hauling their shit around in the open bed in 100+ heat was a no go and the cab filled up fast.

Going on trips I ended up with a cap to stuff all the shit in there because the bed wasn’t big enough.

Now I’m going to a Tahoe just for interior room. Going to a single family event completely fills my truck cab. We went on an overnight stay and it took two vehicles for all the crap my wife packed, a lot being stuff that needed to be climate controlled for a few hour drive.

I have a 14 ft trailer so that covers truck stuff once the SUV gets here. I’ve always had a truck and am scared shitless to leave Toyota, but I’m tired of driving a boat filled to the roof everywhere we go. Plus I wanna go fast and my tundra with all the extra weight (cap and grill guard) does NOT go fast.

Edit: the cap is a cunt for me (6’1) to get shit in and out of and my kids are tired of me throwing them in there to drag stuff out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Which one depends on need.

Based on the OP, there isn’t a need for a truck so an SUV would suit him fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I prefer suv (4Runner, Tahoe/suburban, expedition, sequoia, Land Cruiser etc) to trucks for everything except towing more than 6k.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I like Toyota and have owned two of their vehicles but their interiors are so fugly. The Mazda is more of a lifted car than an SUV but the interior is much nicer looking.

What are they called now? Crossovers? It's like the modern version of a station wagon I guess. The high MPG is a nice perk and I'm sure they drive quieter and more comfortable than something like a Suburban or 4Runner.

I do like the Tacoma but I'm not sure how often I would use the truck bed feature.
View Quote

I have a truck and a trailer.  I had a trailer first with an Xterra and then a 4Runner.  I HATE pulling the trailer for simple stuff.  It's a pain in the ass for a few bags of dirt or mulch that you don't want all over your SUV, or 2x4x8 that beats up the interior if you let it hang out the rear window.  After getting a truck, we couldn't figure out how we lived without it.  I had bought a hitch rack for hauling dead deer and turkey years back.  That sucked too.  Shortly after getting a truck, even my wife commented that we absolutely need a truck from now on.  We use it every few days for something and I'll often stop on the way home from work and grab lumber or something that I sure don't want to go home and grab the trailer for.  I have since traded the Tacoma for another truck that's more capable as we spend a fair amount of time off road in the back country, but I had to keep a truck.  It handles camping gear a lot better with a couple of exceptions.  First, you have to keep everything in waterproof bins if you keep the open bed.  Also, if you can't leave all your gear in it unattended in town.  Other than that, I love having a truck.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a hyundai santa cruz and make it your avatar, so we can all make fun of you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Testosterone therapy and a real truck. I'm sorry, but no chick ever said "I'm with the guy in the Ridgeline".
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Truck based body on frame SUV plus a trailer and or a receiver basket.  I've almost exclusively driven some type of SUV.  Used to call them wagons.   K5, Tahoe, (Sonoma with a tonneau didn't last long) Expeditions.   I always seem to need room for more people, more guns, a place to sleep, ability to lock it up, etc.   Four door truck with camper top maybe.  Rear basket is handy for ferrying fuel, wet decoys or large dead animal without having to resort to a trailer.   10-16' utility trailer will hall way more stuff and is way more versatile than a truck.   With a trailer you can help your friends without getting involved.  You can park it out front and tell your friends to return it when they are done.   Truck means you are helping them move.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not towing anything?  Go with the SUV.
View Quote

This.  I was happy with my SUV until I bought a camper trailer.  Then I needed a truck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a truck and never used the bed for hauling stuff like dirt or carcasses. Sure it was easy to launch the boat without getting my feet wet by climbing into the bed and onto the trailer.

Tools stayed in a bed tool box. Hockey gear/sticks are to long for the tool box so it stayed in the cab. Also didnt want a topper.

For my use, I have an Expedition Max, which fits my lifestyle much better. I keep all my stuff inside out of the weather. 3 car seats in the second row would virtually leave zero interior space for stuff that needs to be out of the element. I transport 8 passengers more often than a deer carcass.

Only large item I haul regularly is my car so I already have a trailer to move items that wont fit in the cargo compartment. I’ll tow a horse trailer a couple times a year as well. The Expedition has no trouble with what I tow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#46]
If OP is serious about cargo space then a minivan is what he seeks.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Wait, whut???  "An SUV is bigger than a pick up truck"???

My vehicle nowadays is a T4R SUV, my previous two vehicles were Toy Tacs.  There is nowhere near the same amount of room in an SUV than there is in a pickup truck.  I just recently experienced the difference hauling stuff to the dump.  I was taking a bed set, frame, mattress, boxsprings, and the mattress would fit but the frame and box springs were just a biiit too large and I ended up having to strap it onto the roof.  I never would have had to do that with my trucks.  I also hauled around wood, mulch, horse manure, outside shit, and I just don't want to pile that stuff in my carpeted SUV.  

If you're living in TX and are expecting to haul stuff around, I'd get a truck.  Best thing to do is try them both out and think about what you'll be doing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm looking at used CX-5 for my daughter about to get her license....they don't have much in the way of cargo space (unless you plan on keeping the 2nd row down). You are not towing shit with that 4 banger CUV so its a good thing you aren't

My first thought was to get an SUV. They are bigger and have more storage space and would fill most of my needs. The one I really like is the Mazda CX-5 followed by a Subaru.

But then the thought crossed my mind about a truck. I don't tow anything and don't haul lumber of any "truck stuff" so it

View Quote
IMO it is stupid to spend more on a main vehicle (unless it will be used as a toy fun vehicle) for features you aren't going to use, will cost more to operate and arguable be less capable/comfortable for your main purpose. Also consider a Thule roof box for the 1-2 times/year you need that extra 10-15 cu ft. $500 and it can last you forever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#49]
The one time you need a truck to haul something that don't fit or makes a mess in your SUV, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting one.

And get a full size pickup - midsize is too small.

Signed,
Two 1/2 ton truck owner
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#50]
As much as I love my CX-5, it has negative storage space.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top