Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

In this thread we learn who’s never been in an AT&T legacy datacenter. This is like a much scaled down version of Datasite Orlando, a former $30M AT&T datacenter. Just missing the moat out front.
View Quote

Quoted:

ITT we find people trying to shame others for not being familiar with outdated, niche applications and laughing that they're not among the <.5% of the population who've ever had any experience with them, and laughing at people for not having insanely obscure niche experience.
View Quote

The only experience I have with any kind of high-end telecom was a couple of decades ago when Nextel was the cool thing.  Remember Nextel?  PTT and a cell phone in the same handheld device?

They built a big-ass facility in South Florida, and to do it, they bought a huge-ass warehouse, and then built a solid poured concrete building INSIDE that warehouse.  The company I was working for at the time was awarded the contract to put a roof on the building-inside-a-building, and then to do all the patchwork for all the cables and shit that they ran through the roof of the shell building.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only experience I have with any kind of high-end telecom was a couple of decades ago when Nextel was the cool thing.  Remember Nextel?  PTT and a cell phone in the same handheld device?

They built a big-ass facility in South Florida, and to do it, they bought a huge-ass warehouse, and then built a solid poured concrete building INSIDE that warehouse.  The company I was working for at the time was awarded the contract to put a roof on the building-inside-a-building, and then to do all the patchwork for all the cables and shit that they ran through the roof of the shell building.
View Quote

If you have any pictures...

And yes, of COURSE I remember nextel. They were big with blue collar and construction guys because they could run work crews off the PTT.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you have any pictures...

And yes, of COURSE I remember nextel. They were big with blue collar and construction guys because they could run work crews off the PTT.
View Quote

Sprint Nextel Direct Connect ad - loggers (2009)
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Back in the day, some places absolutely ran cables under the floors as I've spent many a day trying to figure out the rat's nest of cables.  

Thankfully some people have learned from mistakes and now for the most part, they run them like the picture you showed.
View Quote
Was about to hop in with this.  I spent a lot of time under the floors in old datacenters chasing copper and fiber.   The site looks like a telco room from back in the day. Telco stuff some (20ish) years ago had much more limitation on distance and location, as you couldn't really just sling things anywhere and connect them with the fiber already run, so they ended up in parking garages, or in neighborhoods, like this one.
My best guesses on some of the items:
The caged areas are where they would store spares that needed to be inventoried and disappeared too often.  
Staff lockers for techs.

I don't see any evidence of an acid pool for battery backup, so they might have used massed batteries on shelving instead.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The neighbor is on the tax roles at $165k no way they're getting $1mill for that place in that hood.  

https://www.dallascad.org/AcctDetailRes.aspx?ID=00000741310000000
View Quote

If someone needs a pre-built data center for CoLo or something it would be a steal. I wonder if the chillers for the computer room are still installed.  I wonder if there’s an air displacement dry fire suppression system, a UPS, etc.  That kind of gear is worth big money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what the neighbors have to say...
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Nestled in among $300K 1800 sq ft ranch's....................nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Love all the fake windows on the place. Wonder how far underground it goes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Weapon's lockers combined with the security and possible monitoring facility would point more toward DEA considering the innocuous neighborhood location and proximity to the border area. Doubtful that it would be NSA as it is/was configured.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Weapon's lockers combined with the security and possible monitoring facility would point more toward DEA considering the innocuous neighborhood location and proximity to the border area. Doubtful that it would be NSA as it is/was configured.
View Quote

interesting 4th post.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
The cast iron cover with AT&T written on it is a dead give-a-way...some people will see conspiracy in everything...
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The windows look fake.
View Quote

for sure, you don't see any widows from the inside.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct.....Check out 811 10th Ave, NYC, NY
View Quote

No thanks.  I spent enough time there in the early 2000's.  The company I worked for had hosted gear in there and we shut down after 9/11.  I had to go in and box everything up for removal.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or DEA, given proximity to Mexican border.
View Quote

Lol sadly we have NOTHING anywhere near that cool, not by a longshot.  Now I want it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a pumping station.  That is how they hide them in residential areas.
View Quote

Not with a sally port and weapons lockers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There aren't enough line drops, cooling, or fire suppression in the main room to be a server farm but they clearly had some type electronic equipment in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There aren't enough line drops, cooling, or fire suppression in the main room to be a server farm but they clearly had some type electronic equipment in there.

It clearly has a hot aisle/cold aisle setup with the HVAC - the supply/return CRAC units (red arrows):

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

Any real server room will use FM200 at minimum. You can easily hide the tanks. It also has a raised floor so all the wiring and ductwork is underneath.

FM200 isn't really used anymore due to the liability associated with dumping a system. It's also prohibitively expensive. It looks like there are overhead sprinkler pipe runs in the photos - likely for Sapphire or a similar clean agent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

maybe, that's a serious freaking door....double panel metal with a solid core.

no way in hell that's AT&T spec...it screams govt
View Quote

The door is wide enough to get somebody in a wheelchair through…, or if a person was strapped to a gurney .

Or a board.

Was there a floor drain?

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The cast iron cover with AT&T written on it is a dead give-a-way...some people will see conspiracy in everything...
View Quote

I've been inside of many AT&T facilities. None of them had weapons lockers or sally ports. There was something else going on in there. Back in that time frame I worked with a guy who spent some time at Bell Labs. He had some interesting stories about the stuff they worked on and how closely they worked with various alphabet agencies. It's not conspiracy that this building may have been dual purpose.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

interesting 4th post.
View Quote

For a dude that’s been here for 8 years.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has neither. Been discussed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

agree. The hole in the glass is at face height - which would make for a pretty shitty sally port. Lockers without locks also suck for "securing" things.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#23]
easy to track down some of the stuff...
drive around the radias and look for ocx48 or better fiber repeaters.
and see if the route was through this place.

call the electric utility place and see what the bills were for 1 year before it was listed.
tell them you are wanting to be on budget billing..

if it is $5k to $10 k min per month then it is a modern data center.

oh yea did any one get the model number off the gen set?
how many kw at what voltage?
and is it 3 phase?

yes on cell phone lockers if it was a mil / alphabet soup place...
modern high security data places have them.
yea i vote a data center for black site.
and yes on bell labs connection with black ops.

was there a place for hard wired phones at the entry??
they still use those for entry.
and did the doors have electric strike?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

agree. The hole in the glass is at face height - which would make for a pretty shitty sally port. Lockers without locks also suck for "securing" things.
View Quote

I'm guessing they are speculating that the sectioned, rising steal doors lead to a sally port, which makes no sense since they are about 5' wide and also blocked by a generator. I mean, I guess if their black opps involve bringing detainees in on mopeds, it's possible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The room itself is the sally port.

And entry way that brings you to a security clearing room before further entry into a facility would meet the definition.

But it's absurd to suggest such rooms are only used for nefarious secret squirrel alien probing facilities.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#26]
In before someone demands I post pictures of actual alien butt probing facilities.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
easy to track down some of the stuff...
drive around the radias and look for ocx48 or better fiber repeaters.
and see if the route was through this place.

call the electric utility place and see what the bills were for 1 year before it was listed.
tell them you are wanting to be on budget billing..

if it is $5k to $10 k min per month then it is a modern data center.

oh yea did any one get the model number off the gen set?
how many kw at what voltage?
and is it 3 phase?

yes on cell phone lockers if it was a mil / alphabet soup place...
modern high security data places have them.
yea i vote a data center for black site.
and yes on bell labs connection with black ops.

was there a place for hard wired phones at the entry??
they still use those for entry.
and did the doors have electric strike?
View Quote
Black sights aren't built so conspicuously. I highly doubt this was any form of black sight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And entry way that brings to to security clearing room before further entry into a facility would meet the definition.

But it's absurd to suggest such rooms are only used for nefarious secret squirrel alien probing facilities.
View Quote

You mean an entrance, not a sally port.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And entry way that brings to to security clearing room before further entry into a facility would meet the definition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make basic access control sexy again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#31]
This is the sally port here.  You come in the door from the outside, stow all your disallowed gear, hang up your coat on the rod with a hangar that would already be there, and get buzzed in through the second door.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sally port is a type of entrance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I shouldn't have skipped to the end. Some boring telephone place inexplicably made to look like an expensive home in the burbs? That's more confusing than it being a Hydra base.
View Quote

Post pictures of any actual Hydra base or shut up with your condescending nonsense.

I can't believe we let people post here who are so casual about Hydra bases in American neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And entry way that brings you to a security clearing room before further entry into a facility would meet the definition.

View Quote

Ahh, I was confusing sally port with a gun port. We just call the sally port a secure vestibule around these parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is the sally port here.  You come in the door from the outside, stow all your disallowed gear, hang up your coat on the rod with a hangar that would already be there, and get buzzed in through the second door.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/Door_1_JPG-2033101.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/Door_2_JPG-2033102.JPG
View Quote

Why would a switching station use glass that thick on a boring place like that?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/Door_1_JPG-2033101.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/Door_2_JPG-2033102.JPG

Attachment Attached File

They only have four lockers, so they can only have four outside visitors at any given time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#37]
A data center on the edge of a residential  neighborhood, with faux windows all the way round to look like a house...   Odd.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, the lockers are bigger than weapons lockers.  Look more like employee lockers.  Just a place to put your lunch and hang your coat.  The bulletproof glass is interesting.  But the phone company has always had pretty OK security.  Maybe something they built when Bush Senior was alive for WHCA maybe???  They would have needed a metric shit ton of comms gear sattered around the area and I think he was living in the Dallas area.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#39]
It makes sense that AT&T would own it. We have some “continuity of government” facilities up in our mountains that are owned by AT&T. They’re wall top secret and heavily locked down. And then, remember  the guy on Christmas morning blow up a AT&T building in Nashville with his motor home. He was on to them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a pumping station.  That is how they hide them in residential areas.

You don't have those in your house?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#41]
If it wasn't a black site before its going to be afterwards.

It wouldn't be a half bad plan either. Be all "see this is a closed facility that's listed for sale online with pictures, what government would be stupid enough to use it again".

Then they buy it again and start detaining the shit out of those whitttttttte supremacistssssss
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Will they take a cash offer?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn. The property taxes are less than I pay for a split-level ranch here.
View Quote

Damn.

Texas is known for its high property taxes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The poe-dunk little town I live in, in rural Illinois has a utility office inside city hall.  I have to go in there at the start of the month every month to pay my electric/water/sewer bill.  The payment window has glass that thick….and there is kind of a slot/drawer built into the stainless steel counter where you slide your money or check through, under the thick glass
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

So is a door. A sally port is a drive up entrance that can facilitate a large transport vehicle and is secured on both ends. So you don't have to park in the driveway or street and walk people to the front door and have the neighbors say "Well, how about that." It's even in the name, "port". There's no sally port there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

As mentioned before, my kids elementary school has a sally port. So does my doctors office.

It’s a pretty standard safety configuration.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So is a door. A sally port is a drive up entrance that can facilitate a large transport vehicle and is secured on both ends. So you don't have to park in the driveway or street and walk people to the front door and have the neighbors say "Well, how about that." It's even in the name, "port". There's no sally port there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering that sally ports have been a thing since before the internal combustion engine was a thing, you might want to rethink your definition.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We call them man-traps.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Considering that sally ports have been a thing since before the internal combustion engine was a thing, you might want to rethink your definition.
View Quote

Sure thing. Never considered that my front door is a sally port by Webster definition as apposed to what everyone who uses them defines them as. Well fuck me, look at this, my refrigerator is also a sally port, lulz.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Definitely interesting. Looks to have been a server farm for an organization of some sort.
View Quote

The entrance door has four sidearm lockers, so law enforcement used this secure building, for what? You'd have to ask the previous owner.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top