Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
We just need to bring back the $50 carbines I remember as a kid and the rest will work itself out. For a $100 bill you could get a really nice one...
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought something along the lines of a HK MP7 in 30 carbine would be cool
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I want the reverse. A M1 Carbine Rifle firing 357 and 38.  And yes I know its the rim that prevents this but Damn it I want one
If the Coonan Can do it as well as the deagle  it has to be possible. 22 Mag , 22 TCM , 5.7 , 327   I wish these all would get fitted to the M1 Carbine. Its the ammo that has slowed the rifle down as all the surplus is gone and prices on new 30 carbine are up
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, they are. Inland M1 Advisor

Add polymer furniture, a couple rail sections, some QD sockets and a Maxim-ish PDW brace.
View Quote
I see it will take a wire folder.  That would be a sweet sbr
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/257918/30_carb_&_223_with_mags-472182.JPG

For those unfamiliar with M1 Carbines, that mag on the left holds 15 rounds of .30 Carbine. That PMAG holds 10.
View Quote

Do you have a picture of a 20 round PMAG for comparison?
Edit: or even a 20 round USGI magazine
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don’t get it.

What does it do that 10mm auto (loaded hot or down to 40 S&W) can’t? It seems like an underachieving cartridge, at best.
View Quote
Most 10mm defensive loads produce between 650-800 ft-lbs of muzzle energy from a carbine length barrel.

.30 Carbine is just under 1,000 ft-lbs, and you can fit more ammunition in a smaller magazine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I handled a .22 mag Levermatic at the local pawn shop but the owner took it for his collection. I've never seen the .30 carbine version in the wild.....And yes the .22 mag Levermatic has a very short throw.

LOL....A .30 Enforcer in a AR type of stock with a side-folding pistol brace would be interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

......and Marlin made the Model 62 Levermatic for a short period of time in the '60s. I've never seen a Levermatic in person, but they have a nice short throw.
I handled a .22 mag Levermatic at the local pawn shop but the owner took it for his collection. I've never seen the .30 carbine version in the wild.....And yes the .22 mag Levermatic has a very short throw.

LOL....A .30 Enforcer in a AR type of stock with a side-folding pistol brace would be interesting.
Damn... If you have never seen one in the wild...

I might be waiting for a long time to find one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/257918/30_carb_&_223_with_mags-472182.JPG

For those unfamiliar with M1 Carbines, that mag on the left holds 15 rounds of .30 Carbine. That PMAG holds 10.

I don't own any 20 round STANAG magazines. They're all 30s or 10s.

I think I see where you're going with that as a 20 round magazine still only has one follower, one spring, and one floor plate, so space utilization gets proportionally better with higher capacity. Still, the AR mags are bigger than the M1 Carbine mags in every dimension.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems like a 10-22 in 30 M1 Carbine, is so similar to an M1 carbine, that one might as well just get an M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I think something simplified with the original action like a Winchester model 100 would be ideal. It's a lot like a 10/22. Then you can shroud it in all the polymer and wood you can stand. I love the idea of a semi-tactical Magpul mannlicher stock. I wish someone would make one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been saying for years .30 carbine is a better pdw round than anything out there as is with just regular JSP bullets. If someone were to improve on it a little bit as a .30 mk2 round with more modern bullet design and perhaps a bit higher pressure it would be pretty cool.

Imagine a .30 carbine in a p90 sized package with similar velocity and perhaps a spitzer bullet with a hardened penetrating core.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most 10mm defensive loads produce between 650-800 ft-lbs of muzzle energy from a carbine length barrel.

.30 Carbine is just under 1,000 ft-lbs, and you can fit more ammunition in a smaller magazine.
View Quote
Muzzle energy is an almost useless metric, but I’m seeing >1,200 out of a 16” barrel...

And the amount of length you are talking about is insignificant. The mag will be shorter in other measures, and lighter to boot.

Actually useful loadings are available also.

A PCC loaded in 10mm would be superior IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I enjoy my .30 carbine pistol.

The top one.

Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
OP missed one ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dominican+republic+m1+carbine&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS744US744&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM9KyvhNbZAhWGdN8KHa5zD_0Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=pUGS8rz0DO6GqM:
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It seems like a 10-22 in 30 M1 Carbine, is so similar to an M1 carbine, that one might as well just get an M1 carbine.
View Quote
Because people here will not be interested in buying an m1 that is not usgi.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to see more .30 carbine options
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Muzzle energy is an almost useless metric, but I'm seeing >1,200 out of a 16" barrel...

And the amount of length you are talking about is insignificant. The mag will be shorter in other measures, and lighter to boot.

View Quote
You're right, more choices in bullet weights and styles

I hope Ruger comes out with different chamberings in the PCC

What mags for 10mm though ?    Glock ?    Proprietary ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to build a PS90 based gun in .30carbine.
I've even played with some mag designs to feed like a P90
One day I may get some pieces 3d printed for testing.
View Quote
I hope you do this. Sounds like an awesome thing to be made
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're right, more choices in bullet weights and styles

I hope Ruger comes out with different chamberings in the PCC

What mags for 10mm though ?    Glock ?    Proprietary ?
View Quote
30 round Glock Pmags

How sexy would that be?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're not wrong.

My partial wishlist for features would probably be something like:
Side ejection
Optics rail
Iron sights tall enough to co-witness with a small reflex sight like an RMR, Venom, or Fastfire.
Synthetic stock
Total weight under or around 5lbs.

There are other things that might be nice like a threaded muzzle, takedown options, or maybe a non-reciprocating charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It's kinda of weird.

A few days ago I saw a vid on YouTube about the M1/M2 carbine and have been looking into it ever since. And now the OP's post here on arfcom.

I do like what it offers and it's something new and exciting relative to all the tacticool ARs and etc out there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Damn... If you have never seen one in the wild...

I might be waiting for a long time to find one.
View Quote
My boss collected Marlins
Over the course of 25 years at the shop he has amassed a half dozen 22 mags and a couple .256 but no 30 carbine

Which is odd because as I understand it the 256 is a much rarer gun than the 30

Once the internet came around be just bought one on GunBroker
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Muzzle energy is an almost useless metric, but I’m seeing >1,200 out of a 16” barrel...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First you describe .30 Carbine as an "underachieving" cartridge, and then you say kinetic energy doesn't matter.

Here's what BBTI has on 10mm:

If those loads are any indicator, 1,200 ft-lbs must be one hell of a 10mm load.

.30 Carbine defensive loads are made by Hornady, Speer, and Buffalo Bore, and more basic SP hunting cartridges are made by PPU, S&B, Federal, and Remington.

My old niche cartridge is more historically relevant and more useful than your old niche cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USGI prices are rising way too fast.

I have an IBM and a Universal. I bought the Universal so I'd have a beater to keep the wear and tear off the IBM. The thing is, that Universal is basically bottom of the barrel for M1 Carbines, and it doesn't run well at all.

I'm not sure if the Universal can be fixed, or if it's just destined to be untrustworthy. A big part of me wants to sell it and upgrade to another post-war replica, but I'm not sure what I'd want to get.

The Auto Ordnance guns seem to have mixed reviews. I haven't seen much feedback on the new Inlands, but those are pushing a price that it might be better to just get a beat up USGI. The Fultons are even more extreme.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 16” AR barrel chambered in .30 carbine. FatMcnasty made it for me. It “sort of” works. The case head is only a little smaller than 556. The round nose bullet design gets caught on the feed ramps sometimes and I get blown primers if I don’t use crimped primer pocket ammo.

I experimented loading light .308 bullets into 30 carbine cases. But back burnered the project and the barrel sits on a shelf.

All I need is a .30 carbine AR bolt and a little opening up of the feed ramps and I’d have a .30 carbine AR. The gas system worked fine. So did 556 AR mags, though I’m sure a new follower and spacer would improve the system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

First you describe .30 Carbine as an "underachieving" cartridge, and then you say kinetic energy doesn't matter.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/mepngs/10mm.png

.30 Carbine defensive loads are made by Hornady, Speer, and Buffalo Bore, and more basic SP hunting cartridges are made by PPU, S&B, Federal, and Remington.

My old niche cartridge is more historically relevant and more useful than your old niche cartridge.
View Quote
Who cares about historical relevance

And your own graph shows that 10mm has up to 1k ME (disproving yourself), which once again is pointless.

30 carbine is underpowered when it comes to terminal ballistics and is essentially a longer, heavier, 10mm auto. What you shoot with it isn’t going to be able to tell the difference and if you want to step up from 10mm you should just jump up to a real rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Couldn’t agree more
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And your own graph shows that 10mm has up to 1k ME (disproving yourself), which once again is pointless.

30 carbine is underpowered when it comes to terminal ballistics and is essentially a longer, heavier, 10mm auto. What you shoot with it isn’t going to be able to tell the difference and if you want to step up from 10mm you should just jump up to a real rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/mepngs/10mm.png

That one load represents a significant statistical outlier, and I’d question whether or not it’s within spec.

Energy either matters, or it does not. Based on that question, one of the following statements is true:

1) Energy DOES matter, and .30 Carbine has ~30% more energy with less recoil, therefore .30 Carbine is better than 10mm Auto.

OR

2) Energy DOES NOT matter, and .40S&W does everything else as well as 10mm Auto while fitting standard frames and being much more affordable, therefore, there’s no reason for 10mm Auto to even exist.

So, which is it?

Also, .30 Carbine ammo is lighter than 10mm Auto ammo. 10mm is .599 oz per cartridge while .30 Carbine is .447 oz per cartridge, so a 30 round mag of 10mm would be over 1/4 pound heavier than a 30 round mag of .30 Carbine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Great little rifles. Perfect for small-framed shooters with minimal upper body strength.

The round is hot enough that it will crater mild steel targets designed for use with pistol rounds. Found that out the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#33]
.30 Carbine is a great self defense round for usage against people.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#34]
The magal was a huge failure.

Olympic catalogued an AR in 30 carbine during the ban, but it was vaporware.

I think the round's greatness is 90% the gun, not the round.

They say that with modern buck-per-round ammo it equals a 357 mag out of a levergun, but in that envelope, I think hst's out of the 9mm Ruger PC are a better choice all around for every reason - cost per round, capacity, terminal effectiveness, recoil, etc.

This dream of more 30 carbine platforms - one I share - is truly an answer in search of a question.

During the federal ban, I hear ya. Tons of pre ban mags, and ban proof rifles, and cheap plinking ammo galore.

Now? Nope.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That one load represents a significant statistical outlier, and I’d question whether or not it’s within spec.

Energy either matters, or it does not. Based on that question, one of the following statements is true:

1) Energy DOES matter, and .30 Carbine has ~30% more energy with less recoil, therefore .30 Carbine is better than 10mm Auto.

OR

2) Energy DOES NOT matter, and .40S&W does everything else as well as 10mm Auto while fitting standard frames and being much more affordable, therefore, there’s no reason for 10mm Auto to even exist.

So, which is it?

Also, .30 Carbine ammo is lighter than 10mm Auto ammo. 10mm is .599 oz per cartridge while .30 Carbine is .447 oz per cartridge, so a 30 round mag of 10mm would be over 1/4 pound heavier than a 30 round mag of .30 Carbine.
View Quote
You’re right bro.

30 carbine FTW!

I can’t wait till they come out with one in an AR10 platform and some super long boolits. It’s going to be rad
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP missed one ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dominican+republic+m1+carbine&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS744US744&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM9KyvhNbZAhWGdN8KHa5zD_0Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=pUGS8rz0DO6GqM:
View Quote
Shame we never got any of those Cristobal carbines here
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#38]
The m1 Carbine is such a fun easy enjoyable rifle to shoot, I can’t believe there isn’t a reasonably priced modern option.

If ruger offered a new production m1 Carbine in the 4-500$ range I’d buy one immediately.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The magal was a huge failure.

Olympic catalogued an AR in 30 carbine during the ban, but it was vaporware.

I think the round's greatness is 90% the gun, not the round.

They say that with modern buck-per-round ammo it equals a 357 mag out of a levergun, but in that envelope, I think hst's out of the 9mm Ruger PC are a better choice all around for every reason - cost per round, capacity, terminal effectiveness, recoil, etc.

This dream of more 30 carbine platforms - one I share - is truly an answer in search of a question.

During the federal ban, I hear ya. Tons of pre ban mags, and ban proof rifles, and cheap plinking ammo galore.

Now? Nope.
View Quote
See above, I have one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Universal made an M1 Carbine in 256 Winchester.   Also a pump version in 44 Magnum.

There is also a necked down 22 cal version.   3000 fps with a 40 gr bullet.

Years ago I built one up in 357 Auto Mag.   2000 fps with a 158 gr bullet.

The 30 M1 Carbine is a good self defense weapon out to 150 yards with soft/hollow point ammo.

I think a rimless 357 Magnum could work in the action with a little work.

Kimbal made a 30 Carbine caliber pistol.   Wasnt too good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I want a semi auto tube mag .30 carbine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I need a carbine to go with the box of ammo I have.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMI makes an SP round too. My M1 loves it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I load .30 carbine projectiles in my 300 black out  cases and get 2600 FPS out of a 9" barrel.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The m1 Carbine is such a fun easy enjoyable rifle to shoot, I can’t believe there isn’t a reasonably priced modern option.

If ruger offered a new production m1 Carbine in the 4-500$ range I’d buy one immediately.
View Quote
This is true.

The M1 carbine is pretty darn close to the perfect personal defense carbine. Light, easy to use, reliable.

I'd like an inexpensive modern version just to add some tactical stuff to. A light, red dot, etc. Without trashing a WW2 gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
i disagree

the m1 carbine is an old, outdated and unreliable firearm

you and everyone else should stay far, far away from them on the EE, gunbroker or anywhere else you might encounter them
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#48]
A P90 is .30 Carbine would rock!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
You wouldn't be able to find one, at that price there'd be a huge waiting list for 6 months. I know I'd be in for a couple.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speer appears to no longer make 30 carbine Gold Dot. Hornady does make the Critical Defense load, I bought a box on Friday afternoon. Will need to order some Buffalo Bore loads to have. Also bought a box of Monarch SPs at Academy last week. The Monarch is brass case ammo loaded in Serbia.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top