Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2019 9:12:22 PM EDT
$2,251.20 charged over the last three days.

I have absolutely no idea why the credit card company didn't stop the card or alert me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
$2,251.20 charged over the last three days.

I have absolutely no idea why the credit card company didn't stop the card or alert me.
View Quote
Did they at least buy something cool?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Set up auto alerts that text or email for every charge. You can set the $$ amount for the alert.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Amex. They typically do a good job or notifying me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn’t matter if it’s $1 or $10,000.

Card gets cancelled you get new card.

Dollar amount of the fraud means nothing to the card holder.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Nikes, JC Pennys, Blue Nile (don't now what that is), Tennis Warehouse, Vitacost.com.

I think I got hacked by a health nut.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the cc companies don't give a shit. Just the cost of doing business.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope it it’s a credit card and not a debit card.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Blue Nile sells online diamonds.  I know that because once upon a time I had a girlfriend who dropped hints like leaving the Blue Nile website open.

Then I dropped hints that I disagreed by putting all her shit in a storage unit and changing the locks when she went to her parents' house one weekend.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you used your card at any restaurant or any place where the card was processed by someone other than YOU?

Where you handed your card to someone else for payment is where the problem occurred.  I guarantee it.

That's where the vast majority of cards are compromised.

As a result, I won't use my card at all in a restaurant.  I pay in cash.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Last time my CC was compromised, some idiot in Houston used it to pay off a $300 court fine.

Surmise that bogus charge was easy enough to track down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry Steve. This has never happened to me (yet).

Any my idea which retailer skimmed your card? Online? Gas Station? Restraraunt?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10,000.

View Quote
Yeah, I've been through this before. Multiple times.

It pisses me off though. The kicker is that no one is going to lift a finger to try to find the fucker. The CC company is just going to write off the loss, the and Feds don't care about the small fish. It's like a car thief. Unless they catch them in the act, no one does dick about it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Blue Nile sells online diamonds.  I know that because once upon a time I had a girlfriend who dropped hints like leaving the Blue Nile website open.

Then I dropped hints that I disagreed by putting all her shit in a storage unit and changing the locks when she went to her parents' house one weekend.
View Quote
Fucking savage
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It pisses me off though. The kicker is that no one is going to lift a finger to try to find the fucker. The CC company is just going to write off the loss, the and Feds don't care about the small fish. It's like a car thief. Unless they catch them in the act, no one does dick about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10,000.

If someone tried to hack my cards, the joke's on them. I'm broke.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why go to the trouble?- If it's compromised it's not really your problem.  One phone call and the charges are wiped and a new card is on it's way.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
They don't give a shit because they dont pay. The retailer or whomever has to eat it in most cases.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why go to the trouble?- If it's compromised it's not really your problem.  One phone call and the charges are wiped and a new card is on it's way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on this. Also, I have had cards compromised that I stuck in a drawer and never made a single purchase on, just kept them for emergencies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hope it it's a credit card and not a debit card.
View Quote
I never use debit card. I got swept up in the Target hack several years ago and Chase deactivated my debit card the week before Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a fucked up CC fraud story for you.

Had a card of mine used for a hair place in CA. Called, had it shut off, they sent a new card.

A little while later, same shit, same place. New card on the way.

While the new card was in route, same shit hapoened. Before I even got the fucking card. Same place and all.

Called, explained everything, they were supposed to take care of it. New card sent.

Everything was fine for a while, then same shit, same place.

Called and bitched. Somehow, Capital One can't stop Mastercard from automatically updating the card info with some hair place in CA even though they are using a diff name, etc. Capital One sends a new card, Mastercard auto updates the hair place in CA with the new card number.

What a fuckimg mess. Locked old card, new card issued as a secondary card on the account because that shouldn't update to the hair place.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Apparently, whoever got my CC number was stupid enough to call in and change my address and a bunch of other shit on my account. So, at a minimum, the last four digits of my SS number and my Mother's maiden name are compromised as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you used your card at any restaurant or any place where the card was processed by someone other than YOU?

Where you handed your card to someone else for payment is where the problem occurred.  I guarantee it.

View Quote
only time I had my shit jacked was an online gun accessory purchase
I made 4 or 5 that night so not sure who to blame
but hour later I was buying shit inTexas and shipping it to somebody elses address

FYI your debit card with MC or Visa on it carries the same protection as any MC/visa
at least according to my bank
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
My money is on teledildonics
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the way of the future.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just happened last week. We flew up to PA for a family reunion and by the time we got back (fri-sun) I got a call asking if I rented a car in PA - Yes. Then they asked if I bought a ticket for a high speed train in Taiwan - No.

I guess the clue for there software was the distance between purchases.....
View Quote
My best CC theft was a call from MC asking if I had just purchased a First Class one way airline ticket from LaGuardia to Rio on British Airways.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The only time my CC has been compromised was a couple of hours after using it at a gas station just west of Oklahoma City.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, being in Texas, that may not be the case. Skimmers on gas pumps are VERY common here. This is the reason I prepay for my fuel inside and recommend everyone else do the same. Also only use the ATMs that are inside of the bank and not any at gas stations or drive thru ATMs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Apparently, whoever got my CC number was stupid enough to call in and change my address and a bunch of other shit on my account. So, at a minimum, the last four digits of my SS number and my Mother's maiden name are compromised as well.
View Quote
Have you been anywhere near Houston or San Antonio recently and paid for fuel at the pump?

ETA Nvm on that, this seems more involved than a simple credit card skimmer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
but hour later I was buying shit inTexas and shipping it to somebody elses address

FYI your debit card with MC or Visa on it carries the same protection as any MC/visa
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO With a credit card you're not out any money, with a debit card you're arguing to get your money back. See the huge difference?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Actually, being in Texas, that may not be the case. Skimmers on gas pumps are VERY common here. This is the reason I prepay for my fuel inside and recommend everyone else do the same. Also only use the ATMs that are inside of the bank and not any at gas stations or drive thru ATMs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pardon my ignorance but how does the skimming of a card at a gas pump or ATM happen?  I really don’t know.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had it happen twice after handing it over in 2 different hotels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance but how does the skimming of a card at a gas pump or ATM happen?  I really don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pardon my ignorance but how does the skimming of a card at a gas pump or ATM happen?  I really don't know.
A guy puts a physical device on the card reader at the gas pump or ATM, and that device reads and records the account numbers that are swiped through it. He then comes back later and removes the device, and he has hundreds of bank account and CC numbers.

Whenever you see the red tape on a card reader of a gas pump, it's there to show that someone didn't come along and put a skimmer on the pump.

Some of these fuckers, you kinda have to admire their balls. They get an Valero shirt and go put shit on their gas pumps while the fucker inside is watching TV and selling smokes to 12 year olds. It's damn near James Bond shit with these cock sucking identity thieves these days.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Midway USA is three for three with me. I will never buy from them again.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#35]
My Cabelas account was hacked.

Crooks changed the email and then used my CC stored there to order 5 electronic dog collars which were delivered to my house.

I wondered what was coming after being notified by UPS, not Cabelas.

I figured the crooks were going to steal the box off my porch. But I know when stuff arrives with my Blink camera, and I’m always home.

Anyway I cancelled the card, and after fussing for a week Cabelas sent me a return label.

They wanted me to ship them back on my dime, and wait on a refund.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s a great hint
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It could be your problem. My Citi card was hacked. Twice, same card number. I guess it was "sold". I got a call from a collection outfit and had to send a ream of crap to them and, finally, ATT UVerse. Froze my credit with the 3 credit agencies. Had to unlock it to buy a truck. Major pain in the ass, even though I wasn't out anything other than postage and copy charges at the library.

Quoted:
Both Experian and Equifax were hacked. Millions of people affected.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's a fucked up CC fraud story for you.

Had a card of mine used for a hair place in CA. Called, had it shut off, they sent a new card.

A little while later, same shit, same place. New card on the way.

While the new card was in route, same shit hapoened. Before I even got the fucking card. Same place and all.

Called, explained everything, they were supposed to take care of it. New card sent.

Everything was fine for a while, then same shit, same place.

Called and bitched. Somehow, Capital One can't stop Mastercard from automatically updating the card info with some hair place in CA even though they are using a diff name, etc. Capital One sends a new card, Mastercard auto updates the hair place in CA with the new card number.

What a fuckimg mess. Locked old card, new card issued as a secondary card on the account because that shouldn't update to the hair place.
View Quote
That's pretty odd as you have to 'activate' the physical card before it can be used.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Skimmers are REAL and WIDELY used by scammers in big cities and small towns.  There are crime rings that travel all over the U.S. doing it for a living.

To correct some misinformation first:
The Fair Credit Billing Act limits liability for unauthorized credit card charges to $50  (Yes, you can be liable for up to $50).  Now if you gave someone your credit card to make a single purchase and they went wild buying other stuff, IT IS ON YOU.  The $50 limit then does not apply and you are responsible for the entire bill.  So guard your card and don't let anyone else use it.
The FCBA does NOT apply to debit cards.  You ARE at the mercy of your financial restitution to make you whole again (i.e. to get the money back in your checking account).

A few rules to follow to lessen your chance of your debit or credit card from being compromised.
1. NEVER hand a DEBIT card to a waiter, server, or anyone else where it is out of your sight even for a few seconds.  Bad guys DO have people with skimmers working at drive thru restaurants.
2. NEVER use a DEBIT card for a purchase you think there is a likelihood you may challenge down the road.  The chargeback process for a DEBIT card is NOT the same as a CREDIT card.  It is not necessarily in the customer's favor and usually don't allow chargebacks as long as credit cards do.
3. NEVER use a debit card on a website that you have heard has been compromised before.  The problem lies with the credit card processing company being used by the entity you're buying a product not having robust security measures and therefore being susceptible to being hacked.
4. With ALL credit card purchases made on-line, try to use a one time use credit card number that you can delete the number after the charge goes through.  Don't worry, if need to get a refund later, the card issuer will know where to credit the funds.  Capital One and many other card issuers offer it for free.  It's VERY easy to use on-line.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not true , merchants are culpable in the propagation of fraud with being lax in checking whether the card presenter is the card holder.
Visa/MasterCard have fought to have dual authentication (*chip + pin) but the merchants have pushed back as it would cost them to update their infrastructure so got not its chip or magnetic stripe + signature.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That’s a great hint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a great hint
You don't think I was too subtle, do you?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
WTF is wrong with you?   Where has your good judgement gone?  Have you EVER had any common sense?

Enabling thieves?
Inconveniencing yourself to have to get a new card.  And having to change over ANY and EVERY account that may have that card on file for recurring payments.

No, man.  Fuck that noise.   Why should I have to suffer those inconveniences and disruptions over a damned thief when I can just pull out some cash and pay in cash instead?

Trust me, it's far better to not GIVE the fucking thieves the opportunity to rip you off in the first place!
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is especially true when the CC company just fucks the merchant in this ongoing game of "who's left holding the bag".

Merchants have no power at all even though they did everything right and got the approval from the CC company for the transaction.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Set up auto alerts that text or email for every charge. You can set the $$ amount for the alert.
View Quote
^this. As soon as my card gets scanned I get a notification within 10 seconds.

Looks like he treated himself to a new outfit, some fresh Nike’s and a ring to keep his lady happy
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great hint
I think that leaving her shit in the front yard would have been better. Hell, you live in West Virginia, it's not like the neighbors would have cared. Half you neighbors probably keep all their best shit in the front yard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have Amex. They typically do a good job or notifying me.
View Quote
Same here. Last week they called and asked if I attempted a $6,900.00 charge at a jewelry store, 18 minutes earlier, then 9 minutes later, an attempt at $4,800.00 at an online shop. Both attempts were declined. AmEx mailed out a new card a couple days later.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Thought this was going to be a Palmetto State Armory thread. I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Just got my cabelas card. Three $258 charges at a sams club in SC.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Pretty sure my last compromised card was off of Primary Arms website.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#50]
They got mine once and bought a damned RV with it! It pissed me off so much that I don't have the balls to do that with my credit card but they got to experience the rush of doing it without any consequences.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top