Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/29/2023 11:10:31 AM EDT
Pretty simple, you’re looking in the equipment exchange, see an item advertised that you want, but for some reason after looking at the ad you simply say “ fuck that “ ! And walk the hell away.

What are some things you simply see as red flags ?

Update.

Something I wanted popped up in the EE, I worked a deal to pay for it on the 1st of the month, said “ I’ll take it “, in the thread.

Only afterwards noticed sellers account was only a year old, his account wasn’t a paying member, had zero feedback and only 3 posts.

UN OH.

sent a few messages over the last week with no answer.   UN OH !

Sent one this morning asking for a pic of item with user name on paper…

Got a response !

“ sorry bro, item was sold “.

Well fuck.

Kinda a relief, least I didn’t lose any money. Sigh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
No pics
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
"Email or text for pics."
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
USPS MO order only

Not a red flag. Just a nope.
(Your thread title doesn’t match the last sentence in your OP)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USPS MO order only
View Quote

Stop paying regular PayPal/goods and services.

Clearly told a dude “PayPal F&F only” and yet he sent G&S but “added the fee” for me. Fuck your fee jackass, I don’t want a 1099 from those fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Email or text for pics."
View Quote

That and "USPS MO only".

The more complicated the transaction, the less likely I am to give it consideration.

I have had some very nice and easy transactions with several members here, and the less conversation that is necessary, the easier the transaction has been.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No pics
View Quote

Yeah, that’s a huge one for me too. Takes like 10 seconds to upload a picture for the item you’re selling, why do I wanna waste time trying to contact you, and begging for you to send me a picture ?  Some people are hard to contact, and even jumping on something instantly with “ I’ll take it ! “, takes days to get acknowledged , maybe several more days to wrangle payment, shipping and such. Having to ad getting a picture of your item your selling adds much more frustration, especially after all that, you finally get the picture and you see something you don’t like.

Imagine businesses doing the same shit. Gunbroker having listings for guns, then “ email us for a picture of the gun”. Or a car dealership doing the same shit. I’m sure that would enrage this seller who didn’t post pics, so why are they doing that shit ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Just looking at the ee. Ill order retail for shipping.  Healthy secondary market here locally so don't need yalls broke shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Clearly told a dude “PayPal F&F only” and yet he sent G&S but “added the fee” for me. Fuck your fee jackass, I don’t want a 1099 from those fuckers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPS MO order only

All the justification in the world doesn’t change the fact it turns buyers away.

Start taking zelle then.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does offer some protection against getting ripped off.
I wouldn't balk over that form of payment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I don’t want to get ripped off, so very doubtful I’ll ever send someone who’s got zero feedback, and who’s not a paying member a chunk of cash for a gun / optic.

Negative feedback also reduces your chances of me dealing with you massively as well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I automatically pass on zero feedback. New, non-paying member will likely get passed up.

I've seen ads where it is the 1st post activity ever from the seller. I chuckle and move on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
No pics, no care. Bad EE score. No one should be less than 100%.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Postal MO only.  It’s a pain in the ass having to drive there and wait in line, and depending on how much the item is, you might have to buy multiple money orders.  Fuck that, not worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Rare!
"Custom"
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All the justification in the world doesn’t change the fact it turns buyers away.

Start taking zelle then.

View Quote

I take them all, actually. Zelle, CashApp, Apple Pay, money orders (I accept boomer money too), bank wire, what have you. It’s jackasses who want PayPal that are the problem.

Nowhere that I’m selling or trading do I have low, zero, or negative feedback. It’s 2023, know how to spot a scam.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]
0 feedback, or low feedback low post count selling high dollar stuff

no pics

higher than retail prices, seeing this all the time lately with people selling shit for MORE than I could buy it for multiple places online
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#17]
New members trying to sell high end products that cost over $1000 with no pictures.

FedEx Shipping
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
MO only
New account
Vague description with no/suspicious pics
Posting like a jackass elsewhere

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#19]
A certain member who prolifically uses the EE's threads complaining when someone doesn't respond back to an IM within 15 minutes and threatening to leave bad feedback, all while posting it to what he thinks will be applause.

Members who post conduct that is objectively immoral.

Low post count sellers of obscure or highly desirable and rare items at better than market rates.

Someone who hosts images on youtube... there was a guy here reposting the same ad for a 338 for over a year and instead of pictures he had a link to a YouTube channel where he had pictures of it in a YouTube video. That was BEYOND sketchy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I take them all, actually. Zelle, CashApp, Apple Pay, money orders (I accept boomer money too), bank wire, what have you. It’s jackasses who want PayPal that are the problem.

Nowhere that I’m selling or trading do I have low, zero, or negative feedback. It’s 2023, know how to spot a scam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start taking zelle then.

Then what are you arguing about?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]
No pics
No feedback
Bad feedback
Recent join date with no membership(yes, ironic I know)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Listen, it’s my cloud to yell at.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
USPS MO order only

View Quote

I don't do any form of electronic payments.

I just did my 1st EE sale. I'm a newbie so no feedback rating.  The item was listed with pics and s good description.

I said check or Postal Money Order only. Check would be held until cleared.

The buyer sent a check,  was LEO, and had 100% rating.

I sent the item out the next day.

We were all newbies once. I have done a lot of sales on the S&W forum and never had an issue with anyone.  

You can tell who's legit and who's a scammer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I can pay a reasonable amount more for new
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#25]
- "Email for pics"

- "USPS MO"

- Used item is within 5% of MSRP + shipping
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Wont take site PMs/IMs (unless they're a well established member or seller)

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#27]
No pics, join date with very few ratings, misspelled words and missing details (how to pay, no price, best contact/comms)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Anything other than F2F cash sales.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#29]
PayPal as the only form of payment. I'm banned because of a dipshit who couldn't understand what NO GUN RELATED STUFF meant.

Low post count/recent join date/no feedback members.

FTF transactions where they want a bill of sale on a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#30]
No pics.

No feedback.

Seller moralizing on the exact parameters of offers they want to receive. When I see anything about lowball offers being ignored I expect to see an unrealistic asking price and an item that has sat or will sit for months unsold.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I sold some blem marked rails, 3 pics in the thread.

The guy wanted more pics. I told him they were blems, and if he’s worried about how they look that these probably weren’t the rails for him. He said he does care how his rifle looks but still wants more pics in different lighting to make sure they were the correct shade of fde.

I just stopped communicating. Not worth the complaints in a week when it doesn’t exactly match his other stuffs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Money order only. Just too slow and irritating to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#33]
When possible, I like to see the price including shipping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#34]
The no feed back or high dollar items but everyone has to start somewhere. many of my guns are high dollar items and will slowly start to unload some. Maybe on the EE or gunbroker
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#35]
“Email works best”

The site email is trash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Never sell anything, face to face purchases only.

Also, never make a buy in an abandoned drive in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#38]
No pics, low post count, low ee score.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I automatically pass on zero feedback. New, non-paying member will likely get passed up.

I've seen ads where it is the 1st post activity ever from the seller. I chuckle and move on.
View Quote

This for sure.

If I want something I'll jump through whatever hoops, but little to no feedback not a chance I'm buying anything over like $20
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#40]
If the seller has a funny avatar like a man with a headset on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No pics, join date with very few ratings, misspelled words and missing details (how to pay, no price, best contact/comms)
View Quote

Misspellings and verbiage are big in ftf also.  If you can't communicate reasonably, generally a hood rat or no English.  Either way, I'm not tryna interpret shit, yo. Word.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#42]
1. No pics
2. A wordy ad with a bunch of rules and bs to follow, especially when it’s obvious the OP hasn’t read the EE rules themselves
3. Insane price
4. Still using PP shows lack of intelligence
5. Zero Feedback / New Account
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I just did my 1st EE sale. I'm a newbie so no feedback rating.  The item was listed with pics and s good description.

We were all newbies once. I have done a lot of sales on the S&W forum and never had an issue with anyone.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPS MO order only

I agree with everything you said. Your sale wasn’t MO only, you allowed for a check.
If I really want something, I’ll send a check to the buyer. What I’m not doing is going to the bank to get the money to then go to the PO to wait in line to buy a MO to mail out.
Instant pass
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#44]
No pics, and any ad that doesn't list USPS money orders as an option. Zero feedback doesn't bother me, as anyone here with any amount of feedback was at zero to start with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#45]
No pictures

Sellers who only accept Venmo, PayPal, etc.  Money order should always be an option.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#46]
When someone has a one line description of an item that isn’t really cheap with no pictures.

Something like
Aero Precision 20” upper with rear sight
$400 shipped.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
PayPal as the only form of payment. I'm banned because of a dipshit who couldn't understand what NO GUN RELATED STUFF meant.

Low post count/recent join date/no feedback members.

FTF transactions where they want a bill of sale on a firearm.
View Quote

Is that the dipshit that used a payment service knowing gun shit is frowned upon? Or the dipshit that put gun stuff in the memo for gun stuff the other idiot knew was against policy?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When someone has a one line description of an item that isn’t really cheap with no pictures.

Something like
Aero Precision 20” upper with rear sight
$400 shipped.

View Quote

Ultra rare Hamilton automatic. 1 of 300 made
$4000
Email for pics

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No pics.

No feedback.

Seller moralizing on the exact parameters of offers they want to receive. When I see anything about lowball offers being ignored I expect to see an unrealistic asking price and an item that has sat or will sit for months unsold.
View Quote

I just assume it is an item that doesn’t need to move or they have an emotional tie to it.

Why I don’t sell things. I don’t buy on a whim. I do my due diligence so I have a tie to the item.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Never sell anything, face to face purchases only.

Also, never make a buy in an abandoned drive in.
View Quote
Keep your hands where I can see 'em.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top