BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I found it interesting that the Marine F/A-18 (2000hrs) + Top Gun Instructor, F-16 exchange x 1yr, F-22 TX (first USMC pilot to fly the Raptor), and F-35 pilot says the F-35 takes that "Speed is life" rule about aerial combat, and makes it untrue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F-15 is a 2.5M+ aircraft. Fact. The F-16 is a 2.0M aircraft. Fact. And, the F-35 is only a 1.6M aircraft. Fact.

The F-15, 16, 18, and every other fighter 1 reach these max Machs at 36,000 feet.  Meanwhile, the sucky F-35 has its max Mach KPP specified at 28,500 feet.  Bigger numbers are always better.  Always.

That's science.  And you can't argue against science.

Tides come in, tides go out - you can't explain that.

That's what's so awesome about the F22.  IF / WHEN stealth is compromised it's still a peerless adversary.

"You're never going to get very far in air warfare in an aircraft a lot slower than the enemy."  Roland Beamont.

As much as LM PR would like you to think otherwise the basics still apply.  Speed is STILL life.

I found it interesting that the Marine F/A-18 (2000hrs) + Top Gun Instructor, F-16 exchange x 1yr, F-22 TX (first USMC pilot to fly the Raptor), and F-35 pilot says the F-35 takes that "Speed is life" rule about aerial combat, and makes it untrue.

He actually said that his experience in the F-22, which is basically the fastest fighter in the world when loaded for combat, taught him that fifth-generation fighters make that rule obsolete.  To say that speed is the least impressive feature of the world's fastest fighter is an incredible statement.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The guy is right about us absorbing the USSR's secrets and scientists from 1990s....and continuing various avenues of R&D begun in the cold war to keep superiority well into the new century...

But the counter to this whiz bang tech is a-symetic warfare and sheer numbers. Just as the German war machine produced incredibly advanced fighters and tanks and subs but in too few numbers, so too it's the numbers game that is our weakness. With Aircraft carriers costing $14 billion to make and float it becomes harder and harder to sustain a 10 fleet navy....for the cost of 1 carrier we could launch a dozen Frigates, 4 destroyers and a sub. Or field an armored tank division. Or several wings of F-22s.

In Commie wars they scored victories by sheer numbers and wantoness with human life. In an existential crisis they might roll the dice with us figuring that once we expend our stockpiles of whiz bang weaponry, they might still have enough low tech ships and planes to score big victories that we can't easily recoup from.

So say the F-22 can shoot down 10 enemy fighters at once. They send up 20. Or our ships have X amount of Mk48s and Harpoons...so they intentionally calculate sending X+4 ships at some area - willing to trade half a fleet sunk for the sake of pulling into New Zealand or Aus or Hawaii with enough left to seize control...

How would we handle a hundred low tech prop driven fighters coming in? Isn't that the Iranian gambit? Isn't the 10,000 artillery tubes pointed at Seoul, SK the same thing - to have more targets then we have bombs with the MAD this causes?
View Quote

Large, expensive platforms like aircraft carriers will always be vulnerable to coordinated massive strikes from cheap armaments.  What does a 1980's surplus Exocet missile cost, $100,000?  Think of how many of those you could launch before you reached cost parity with an aircraft carrier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One thing I learned about Russians from living with them is that they are very much resigned to pragmatism in the face of real challenges.  It is a cultural reality driven by no less than 9 months of winter every year, and average temps around -30C, with historical conflicts and border disputes with all of their neighbors.

In the end, they devise some convoluted work-around to solve their problems, and make due with the bad hand of cards they've been dealt.

From a military and geopolitical perspective, deception is almost always central to that plan.

In the video in the OP, the gentleman seems to suggest that Russia needs a trump card from her MIC, rather than try to compete with the US in technical and numerical races, because the US has already won that over and over, and he calls it as such.  He misstates that this is because a significant majority of Russian engineers and scientists fled from Russia after the collapse, believing that they were at parity with the US during the Cold War, when we had really achieved over-match in almost every category throughout the Cold War.

There is no way for them to catch up to the US now that what scientists they had, are now gone.  This is why they need some type of doomsday button as their primary means of defense from the West, so they can focus on their economy rather than waste it on a futile MIC contest that will only make them go broke.  Notice that he mentioned their sweat several times, which is in reference to the Russian people's capacity to innovate and produce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Russian could tell me it was Tuesday on a Tuesday, and I still would not believe him.

One thing I learned about Russians from living with them is that they are very much resigned to pragmatism in the face of real challenges.  It is a cultural reality driven by no less than 9 months of winter every year, and average temps around -30C, with historical conflicts and border disputes with all of their neighbors.

In the end, they devise some convoluted work-around to solve their problems, and make due with the bad hand of cards they've been dealt.

From a military and geopolitical perspective, deception is almost always central to that plan.

In the video in the OP, the gentleman seems to suggest that Russia needs a trump card from her MIC, rather than try to compete with the US in technical and numerical races, because the US has already won that over and over, and he calls it as such.  He misstates that this is because a significant majority of Russian engineers and scientists fled from Russia after the collapse, believing that they were at parity with the US during the Cold War, when we had really achieved over-match in almost every category throughout the Cold War.

There is no way for them to catch up to the US now that what scientists they had, are now gone.  This is why they need some type of doomsday button as their primary means of defense from the West, so they can focus on their economy rather than waste it on a futile MIC contest that will only make them go broke.  Notice that he mentioned their sweat several times, which is in reference to the Russian people's capacity to innovate and produce.

Sukhoi has said similar. They now try to compete via cost effective fighters. And given the range of the Su-30 and its payload capacity, it is a good price. Avionics may not be the best, but for the price they do seem to offer a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He actually said that his experience in the F-22, which is basically the fastest fighter in the world when loaded for combat, taught him that fifth-generation fighters make that rule obsolete.  To say that speed is the least impressive feature of the world's fastest fighter is an incredible statement.
View Quote

"and it is really fast"  
LOL  
'I wish this plane was faster' ... said no one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the chinese version of the F35 will be spectacular.  I mean, not being designed around a VOTL system simply so the marines can have some nostalgia is a huge leap forward.  Hell theirs might be able to carry 5 or 6 bombs while still being stealth.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope this is all true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
SukhoiSukhoi
Quoted:

Sukhoi has said similar. They now try to compete via cost effective fighters. And given the range of the Su-30 and its payload capacity, it is a good price. Avionics may not be the best, but for the price they do seem to offer a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Russian could tell me it was Tuesday on a Tuesday, and I still would not believe him.

And the latest Sukhoi will die like the rest in front of the JSF. Bargain Strike Fighters are really not bargains.

At least not for First World Super Powers who like to win at Shock and Awe. +P  on the AWE part.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The guy is right about us absorbing the USSR's secrets and scientists from 1990s....and continuing various avenues of R&D begun in the cold war to keep superiority well into the new century...

But the counter to this whiz bang tech is a-symetic warfare and sheer numbers. Just as the German war machine produced incredibly advanced fighters and tanks and subs but in too few numbers, so too it's the numbers game that is our weakness. With Aircraft carriers costing $14 billion to make and float it becomes harder and harder to sustain a 10 fleet navy....for the cost of 1 carrier we could launch a dozen Frigates, 4 destroyers and a sub. Or field an armored tank division. Or several wings of F-22s.

In Commie wars they scored victories by sheer numbers and wantoness with human life. In an existential crisis they might roll the dice with us figuring that once we expend our stockpiles of whiz bang weaponry, they might still have enough low tech ships and planes to score big victories that we can't easily recoup from.

So say the F-22 can shoot down 10 enemy fighters at once. They send up 20. Or our ships have X amount of Mk48s and Harpoons...so they intentionally calculate sending X+4 ships at some area - willing to trade half a fleet sunk for the sake of pulling into New Zealand or Aus or Hawaii with enough left to seize control...

How would we handle a hundred low tech prop driven fighters coming in? Isn't that the Iranian gambit? Isn't the 10,000 artillery tubes pointed at Seoul, SK the same thing - to have more targets then we have bombs with the MAD this causes?
View Quote

The problem with his beliefs about Russian scientists during the Cold War is that they were mainly relegated to reverse-engineering of US and other Western technology as a strategy to avoid all the RDT&E we spent.  One of the main frustrations of Russian aerospace and military technology scientists was not being able to pursue their own designs.  The bureaucracy of the Soviet Union exacerbated this problem hopelessly, while the MIC in the US steamed ahead like gangbusters.  We cranked out world-class quality and quantity, with regular and realistic training, seeded with regular deployments and conflicts far away from our own shores.  Our logistics remained well-oiled after WWII, in contrast to the post-Great War period.

I agree with your comments on asymmetric warfare.  Any nation that has it in their head that they would go toe-to-toe with the US is simply smoking crack.  If WWII wasn't convincing enough, Gulf War I sealed the deal for the remaining doubters, and Soviet tech was on display as dismally unsuited to even be in the same battlefield and airspace with US Forces.  That was true from tank "battles", to the air.  US armored units literally rolled through Soviet-style front lines, to include reverse-slope defenses, then into their rear reserves and assembly areas, and ventilated T72's and BMP's like an unrealistic video game.  The air dominance is barely worth mentioning, with the MIG-29 and every other Soviet system defeated by highly-trained, well-equipped pilots of the USAF and USN.

There isn't really a good way to compare the US to Germany, especially due to geography and population.  We took their air-land battle concept, and made it central to our doctrine for war-fighting after WWII.  It was very relevant, but not for Germany with an inexperienced Corporal from the artillery running the show against world powers on his Northwest and Eastern fronts.

The statements about the F-22 vs. 20 cheap fighters I'll address this way:  What nations are producing cheap fighters right now, and for what markets?

The US is the biggest, and our idea of a "cheap" fighter is in fact a 4th Generation multi-role tactical combat aircraft known as the F-1C/D Block 70, with AMRAAM, JDAM, SNIPER, conformal tanks, upgraded IFF, world-class radar, training, and logistics packages that rival any other foreign military sales.

The next is China, making their evolution of the F-20 for Pakistan.

China is buying Slav "4th Gen" Su-35's from Russia, while furiously trying to make 4th and 5th Gen fighters with stolen US tech and an aerospace industry after getting that tech from the Clinton Administration and Lockheed, and suffering several setbacks so that they had to go back to the Russians to buy more Su-27's and Su-35's after failing to reverse-engineer them correctly.  As of 2015, their own Shenghai Aircraft Company has rolled out a new J-11D variant with a new AESA radar configuration, but they are still decades behind the US in every aspect, although trying to catch up still.

Iran has made silly F-5's with diagonal vertical stabs and claiming them to be the best fighter in the world.  I almost feel sorry for them.

Even if China had a few squadrons of the latest unproven in combat J-11D's, with an 85% operational capability (that's unrealistic but just for pointers), they would not be capable of dealing with an existing US force comprised of F-22's and our Gen 4 aircraft working together, and that's without any F-35's present.
Te fact that we have regular joint forces training since no later than the 1970's, regular live fire exercises across the military, and regular real world deployments in sea, air, land, and space decades before China does not stack the deck in China's favor at all.

Aside from that, we wouldn't even need to engage them on that front, with their trade imbalance the way it is.  A simple tariff on Chinese goods, with a reduced tariff on South Korean Japanese, Taiwanese, and Filipino products would crush China-which is not a good thing for the global economy, but an option if they were to get stupid like it looks to be in the Spratley Islands.

The Imperial Japanese Navy of the 1930's was a more formidable force in comparison, and we stomped a mudhole in it rapidly until it was almost gone.  China faces challenges greater than this just looking at her interior, which is why they are scrambling to lay claim to every place possible in their periphery for the energy exploitation, and to keep the public focused outwards from the internal dichotomy of extreme poverty vs. developing global economy on the coast.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, I forgot to mention he's a topgun instructor pilot as well.

He says in the video that the old axiom "speed is life more is better" is no longer relevant in the fifth gen fighter world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For comparison, here is what LtCol David "Chip" Berke USMC has to say about the F-35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxK6O5--9Z0
LOL. Of course.  

The USMC is the only service that gets an upgrade.  And everyone else is paying for it.

Know how I can tell you didn't even watch the first minute of the video?  

He's the first f/a-18(legacy and Rhino), f-16, f-22, and f-35 pilot. I think he knows what he's talking about.

Fucking exactly. If you cant believe or at least listen to this guy, then why do you even post on the internet?

The world is surrounded by people smarter and more informed than me. I am happy for it.

Oh, I forgot to mention he's a topgun instructor pilot as well.

He says in the video that the old axiom "speed is life more is better" is no longer relevant in the fifth gen fighter world.

And hes funny to boot. Great vid, thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Woops
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the chinese version of the F35 will be spectacular.  I mean, not being designed around a VOTL system simply so the marines can have some nostalgia is a huge leap forward.  Hell theirs might be able to carry 5 or 6 bombs while still being stealth.
View Quote

I've been looking at the VTOL aspect of the JSF in the short term as a major stumbling block for the program, but....

In the back of my mind, I'm asking, "What happens when you let a MAGTF respond to a theater that normally would require months of USAF staging into land-based locations before combat operations can commence?

The big question here is, what happens when a 5th Gen Fighter, which also has VTOL capability, can respond to contingencies and also act as part of an air armada for a Joint Forces Campaign.

You're looking at an aircraft that possesses the deployability of a Harrier, awareness of more than an AWACS and F-22 combined, that can fly faster than an F-15E with combat load at altitude, and doesn't suffer from stores CAT limitations with that combat load for maneuverability, speed, and endurance.  Once initial dominance and SEAD is accomplished, you can now transition to FAC and CAS with a lot of loiter time with the F-35's internal fuel capacity, with information integration and communication providing the most effective component of CAS over actual munitions on target.  With sensor fusion and ground forces IFF, the F-35 can control organic fire support and indirect assets already on the ground to eliminate ground threats to troops in contact, without every needing to fire a round or drop a bomb, and the munitions can be much smaller due to PGM, so that ground forces have more combat endurance.

Add a USMC pilot to that equation, then multiply x a few dozen, with the proactive capability of an LHA/LHD, and we have a seriously game-changing type of task force that has not been known in history.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been looking at the VTOL aspect of the JSF in the short term as a major stumbling block for the program, but....

In the back of my mind, I'm asking, "What happens when you let a MAGTF respond to a theater that normally would require months of USAF staging into land-based locations before combat operations can commence?

The big question here is, what happens when a 5th Gen Fighter, which also has VTOL capability, can respond to contingencies and also act as part of an air armada for a Joint Forces Campaign.

You're looking at an aircraft that possesses the deployability of a Harrier, awareness of more than an AWACS and F-22 combined, that can fly faster than an F-15E with combat load at altitude, and doesn't suffer from stores CAT limitations with that combat load for maneuverability, speed, and endurance.  Once initial dominance and SEAD is accomplished, you can now transition to FAC and CAS with a lot of loiter time with the F-35's internal fuel capacity, with information integration and communication providing the most effective component of CAS over actual munitions on target.  With sensor fusion and ground forces IFF, the F-35 can control organic fire support and indirect assets already on the ground to eliminate ground threats to troops in contact, without every needing to fire a round or drop a bomb, and the munitions can be much smaller due to PGM, so that ground forces have more combat endurance.

Add a USMC pilot to that equation, then multiply x a few dozen, with the proactive capability of an LHA/LHD, and we have a seriously game-changing type of task force that has not been known in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but I can't see how this advances the real issue facing our military today. SHARP training.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

The F-15, F-16 and F-18, carrying a loadout, are subsonic planes that can dash supersonic for a limited time and distance.  Cruise is probably below their critical Mach number, which is lower for those planes carrying a loadout than for their clean configuration.  Supersonic speed, with a loadout, is far below their clean maximum speed.

The F-35, is a subsonic plane, with a loadout, but I read it can cruise at 0.9 Mach at only 40% power.  So, at reasonable fuel burn rates the F-35 has faster cruise speed.  Then there is cruise somewhat above Mach 1.0, the other planes can't do that if they are carrying a loadout.  This supercruise can't be maintained for long or for very far, because of thermal loading, but it is available if needed.  Dash speed, on a "business trip" probably equals or perhaps exceeds that of the other planes.

Comments or corrections?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

The F-15, F-16 and F-18, carrying a loadout, are subsonic planes that can dash supersonic for a limited time and distance.  Cruise is probably below their critical Mach number, which is lower for those planes carrying a loadout than for their clean configuration.  Supersonic speed, with a loadout, is far below their clean maximum speed.

The F-35, is a subsonic plane, with a loadout, but I read it can cruise at 0.9 Mach at only 40% power.  So, at reasonable fuel burn rates the F-35 has faster cruise speed.  Then there is cruise somewhat above Mach 1.0, the other planes can't do that if they are carrying a loadout.  This supercruise can't be maintained for long or for very far, because of thermal loading, but it is available if needed.  Dash speed, on a "business trip" probably equals or perhaps exceeds that of the other planes.

Comments or corrections?
View Quote

I thought supercruise could be used nearly indefinitely and is waaaayyyy more efficient that afterburning.

Concorde used it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the VTOL concept was promised to be a game changer in Iraq and never materialized.  Its a concept that will likely not be needed anytime soon, if ever again.  Hell the harrier is a shitty as CAS fighter if you need it for more than 20 minutes.  It was requested to support beach assault landings which will never again be attempted in a contested environment.   We dont fight like Guadalcanal any more, the range of both our and their weapons systems makes it foolish. The VTOL system is a waste of time with jets. Its unnecessary and the compromises necessary to make it happen are what inevitably make the jet less useful than the alternative aircrafts.  Sure, they are cramming every single electronic system they can into the F35, but at the end of the day, it still cant turn, shoot, or run and carrys 4 bombs in the most optimistic of environments.   As the guy on the ground, no thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I dislike it simply because of the stupid price tag on the thing.

NO matter HOW great it is, if we can only afford to buy 40 of them its pointless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, first they have to build that capacity.  China has about 629 4th Gen or better fighters right now.  We have 1675 in the Air Force alone, of which 233 are F22/F35.  All numbers per wiki.  We don't have to worry about being overwhelmed just yet.    

Edited: Russia has about 830.  We overmatch Russia and China combined right now in numbers, and have better quality to boot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#18]

If I were a russian military expert, I'd want America to pour money down the lockmart hole, too.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the VTOL concept was promised to be a game changer in Iraq and never materialized.  Its a concept that will likely not be needed anytime soon, if ever again.  Hell the harrier is a shitty as CAS fighter if you need it for more than 20 minutes.  It was requested to support beach assault landings which will never again be attempted in a contested environment.   We dont fight like Guadalcanal any more, the range of both our and their weapons systems makes it foolish. The VTOL system is a waste of time with jets. Its unnecessary and the compromises necessary to make it happen are what inevitably make the jet less useful than the alternative aircrafts.  Sure, they are cramming every single electronic system they can into the F35, but at the end of the day, it still cant turn, shoot, or run and carrys 4 bombs in the most optimistic of environments.   As the guy on the ground, no thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know how I can tell you've completely ignored everything in this thread?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

NO matter HOW great it is, if we can only afford to buy 40 of them its pointless.
View Quote

It really isn't all that much more expensive than what new production 4th Generation fighters are going for. The F-15 and F-16 aren't still available for $30 million and $20 million respectively, as they were in the 1980s. Today, nations that are ordering new build Strike Eagles and Vipers are having to shell out about $100 million per copy. The F-35 looks so expensive right now because it is in LRIP. Once production ramps up, the cost per copy will gradually decrease until it is about in line with what the 4+ Generation fighters are selling for. Considering the vast leap in capability the F-35 offers, it will actually be quite a bargain. But sure, if you compare the cost of an F-35 in 2015 to the cost of an F-16 in the 1980s, you're probably going to think it is overpriced. Go compare the sticker price of a new high performance car such as the Mustang and Camaro with their 1980s counterparts when they were new. The price of shit increases with time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For $350 MILLION each it better damned well be.

Remember the Me262, fastest jet in the world?  120mph faster than the P-51?

Still got shot down, when taking off or landing.

What good is 23 F-35s gonna do?  against 8972 chinese f-5 clones.

Basic logic is escaping a large number of people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's this myth out there that the US military doesn't do quantity. I'm not sure where it came from, but it's really really wrong. We have more soldiers, tanks, jets, warships, etc than most of our potential adversaries, and usually by a large margin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There's this myth out there that the US military doesn't do quantity. I'm not sure where it came from, but it's really really wrong. We have more soldiers, tanks, jets, warships, etc than most of our potential adversaries, and usually by a large margin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do people get those kinds of ideas?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#24]
A Russian said it, we should definitely believe it
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I think the F-35 will be a bad ass bird.

I just wish we'd focus more on upgrading our fucking ARTILLERY!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think the F-35 will be a bad ass bird.

I just wish we'd focus more on upgrading our fucking ARTILLERY!
View Quote

The only thing new (and they were basically COTS) the Army has bought in two decades is the Stryker and MRAP/MATV fleet.    You've bought a shitload of new (30 to 50 year old design) aircraft, upgraded lots of 1970s tech Abrams, canceled Crusader, Canceled commanche, canceled FCS.  I guess the Army has decided technology isn't for them, and that warmed over 1960s/70s/80s tech is as far as they ever want to go.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F-15 is a 2.5M+ aircraft. Fact. The F-16 is a 2.0M aircraft. Fact. And, the F-35 is only a 1.6M aircraft. Fact.

The F-15, 16, 18, and every other fighter 1 reach these max Machs at 36,000 feet.  Meanwhile, the sucky F-35 has its max Mach KPP specified at 28,500 feet.  Bigger numbers are always better.  Always.

That's what's so awesome about the F22.  IF / WHEN stealth is compromised it's still a peerless adversary.

"You're never going to get very far in air warfare in an aircraft a lot slower than the enemy."  Roland Beamont.

As much as LM PR would like you to think otherwise the basics still apply.  Speed is STILL life.

I don't know shit as a civilian.  But I find that very hard to believe.  The F4 didn't need a gun either.

Advantage has always gone to pilot with greatest KE.

Stealth can and will be compromised.

The Soviets couldn't shoot the SR71 down for one very good reason.

The most cardinal rule will still apply regardless of LM PR, physics and shit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Ronald Reagan said it best when he said that freedom in the USA unlocked individual potential resulting in amazing technological achievements.  The Soviets were and the current Russian Federation are a top down culture and that's why they will always be behind the USA in terms of technology and innovation...well, we're certainly doing everything we can to transform US culture to a more Soviet style system so maybe at some point we'll suck as equally as they do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Star wars, make 'em spend themselves into the poor house.
View Quote

who?
China?  

We are funding China's military.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/USS_Zumwalt_(DDG-1000)_at_night.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/USNavySeawolfSubmarine.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/B-2_Spirit_original.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg

Seawolf, Spirit, and Raptor are all examples of programs that resulted in a quantum leap in technology that already has been or will in the near future be applied to a more affordable follow on project for mass production.  Also, all three programs matured as the cold war ended, so it shouldn't be surprising that there were massive cuts in the planned production runs.  If China and other potential adversaries implode in the next few years, you can expect similar cuts in the F-35 and other programs, but short of that expect thousands of JSFs to be built.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/USS_Zumwalt_(DDG-1000)_at_night.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/USNavySeawolfSubmarine.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/B-2_Spirit_original.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg
We develop weapons.  We try them out.  We don't keep buying them when it's apparent they really aren't the thing we need in big quantity as the world changes.

But the advances are remembered.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

who?
China?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who?
China?  

I thought they were funding ours. Aren't we buying -35s with loans from them?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Seawolf, Spirit, and Raptor are all examples of programs that resulted in a quantum leap in technology that already has been or will in the near future be applied to a more affordable follow on project for mass production.  Also, all three programs matured as the cold war ended, so it shouldn't be surprising that there were massive cuts in the planned production runs.  If China and other potential adversaries implode in the next few years, you can expect similar cuts in the F-35 and other programs, but short of that expect thousands of JSFs to be built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And Zumwalt?  Even its predecessor program didn't start until 1997.  What about LCS?  We have lots of examples of high tech, low production numbers.  Curtailing F-22 production is one of the stupidest things we have ever done, but Lockmart sacrificed it on the altar of the F-35.  We needed a lot more than 183 of them to replace 700+ F-15Cs, and we still do.  The piece of shit F-35 will never fill that role, so we are left upgrading 1980s production F-15s and gimping them along for another couple decades.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who?
China?  

I think we are buying 90% of our own debt at this point.  And I don't mean american citizens.  I mean the fed.
DEFINITION of 'Quantitative Easing'

An unconventional monetary policy in which a central bank purchases government securities or other securities from the market in order to lower interest rates and increase the money supply. Quantitative easing increases the money supply by flooding financial institutions with capital in an effort to promote increased lending and liquidity. Quantitative easing is considered when short-term interest rates are at or approaching zero, and does not involve the printing of new banknotes.

The F35 is a game changing technology.

So lets play some counter factual historical fiction games.

Imagine we had only F35s 50 years ago.

How would the world have changed?

Imagine we had nothing but F35s 15 years ago.  

Imagine we had 2400 F35s today.

How would the world be different?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think we are buying 90% of our own debt at this point.  And I don't mean american citizens.  I mean the fed.

An unconventional monetary policy in which a central bank purchases government securities or other securities from the market in order to lower interest rates and increase the money supply. Quantitative easing increases the money supply by flooding financial institutions with capital in an effort to promote increased lending and liquidity. Quantitative easing is considered when short-term interest rates are at or approaching zero, and does not involve the printing of new banknotes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who?
China?  

I can tell you this, US troops would never have had to fear enemy air attack, in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan.  Maybe we could have shot down more Migs, but what's more than 100%?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I havent ignored anything.  Im sure the F35 will be a gigantic systems platform capable of detecting and coordinating anything.  That part of the plane has promise.  My serious worry is that we are basing our national air superiority this constant mantra that this aircraft will rewrite historically proven air combat facts.  I hope it does but if it doesnt we are screwed.  We have put all our eggs in one basket.  Then just to magnify that problem we decided to take that basket and burden it with a useless VTOL system that has forces a very capable systems platform to compromise on just about every other physical necessity in a strike platform. One service components selfish demands have caused some monumental design compromises.  It appears the chinese are developing a very similar aircraft that wont be burdened by the design limitations of the VTOL system, so what happens when 2025 rolls around and they have an interconnected situationally aware aircraft that can out turn, shoot, and run our F35?

Chip talks about what this plane will do in 2025.  The problem is that this plane was sold to us as being able to be here in 2015 for a half a billion less. Yes Im sure the F35 will be well ahead of every other thing flying in terms of situation awareness and inter connectivity, but we have bet the farm on the idea that that is what will make it superior, while our enemies are designing systems that will likely have the same interoperability but with better physical capabilities.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not under combat loadouts, LOL
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a huge F-turdy-five fanboy, and is just playing devil's advocate here.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And Zumwalt?  Even its predecessor program didn't start until 1997.  What about LCS?  We have lots of examples of high tech, low production numbers.  Curtailing F-22 production is one of the stupidest things we have ever done, but Lockmart sacrificed it on the altar of the F-35.  We needed a lot more than 183 of them to replace 700+ F-15Cs, and we still do.  The piece of shit F-35 will never fill that role, so we are left upgrading 1980s production F-15s and gimping them along for another couple decades.
View Quote
Quiet you.  Da community needs more of dem programs.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Irrelevant in the time of proxy nation brush fire wars and terrorism. Fancy planes don't stop children in kindergarten from having their throats cut or $20 bombs at sporting events. If a Russian plane and an American plane trade shots in my lifetime I will be extremely surprised. It's money bukkake along the same lines as how the USSR fell. Spending massive capital on needless military products that don't win conflicts while ignoring domestic issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Irrelevant in the time of proxy nation brush fire wars and terrorism. Fancy planes don't stop children in kindergarten from having their throats cut or $20 bombs at sporting events. If a Russian plane and an American plane trade shots in my lifetime I will be extremely surprised. It's money bukkake along the same lines as how the USSR fell. Spending massive capital on needless military products that don't win conflicts while ignoring domestic issues.
View Quote

It's only a $1.2T program.  GWB spent four times that much bailing out banks with TARP I.  Obama has run up 20X that much in national debt during his term.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can tell you this, US troops would never have had to fear enemy air attack, in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan.  Maybe we could have shot down more Migs, but what's more than 100%?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who?
China?  

But how is that different than what happened?

This is "game changing" technology.

how?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

how?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how?

I left out one of these:  or these
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, because 3.8% of GDP is the exact same thing as 17% of GDP.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Kelly Johnson

Is it too late to clone the man?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Kelly Johnson

Is it too late to clone the man?
View Quote

He'd quit in disgust after five minutes of seeing what garbage Lockheed skunkworks has become.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It's only a $1.2T program.  GWB spent four times that much bailing out banks with TARP I.  Obama has run up 20X that much in national debt during his term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that we have done and continue to do dumber things doesn't excuse stupidity. We have lost the war in Iraq. The F35 has not helped us not lose the war in Iraq, has not prevented any sort of terror attack, and will never do so. It's a very expensive game of tilting at windmills with made up money. We are headed for a Soviet style burnout because we are letting ourselves do the exact same things the USSR did that caused it's failure as a state.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The fact that we have done and continue to do dumber things doesn't excuse stupidity. We have lost the war in Iraq. The F35 has not helped us not lose the war in Iraq, has not prevented any sort of terror attack, and will never do so. It's a very expensive game of tilting at windmills with made up money. We are headed for a Soviet style burnout because we are letting ourselves do the exact same things the USSR did that caused it's failure as a state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only a $1.2T program.   GWB spent four times that much bailing out banks with TARP I. Obama has run up 20X that much in national debt during his term.

I completely fail at sarcasm today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
We didn't lose the war in Iraq.  Iraq lost the war in Iraq.  The big question after 9-11 was whether the Arab world had a cultural flaw preventing it from joining the 21st century, or whether they just suffered under poor governments.  Iraq was an opportunity to test whether the Arabs could be dragged into modernity, and it was a risk worth taking given the threat of terrorism and the compounding problem of nuclear proliferation.  We won the war part.  We crushed every army sent against us and took their capital, and left when we wanted to leave.  That's a military victory.  The political situation never stabilized because the Arab world is not ready for modernity.  

In short, the military lessons from Iraq are that we kick fucking ass.  The political lesson is that the next time some Arab terrorists fly planes into building we just kill them, we don't waste time building schools afterwards.  Instead, we put our own strongman in power and the CIA pats him on the ass on the way out and says "remember what happened to your predecessor."
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top