Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always been a Lab kind of guy.  5 years ago my wife wanted a Maltipoo because she fell in love with one her friend has.  I was adamant that small dogs were high maintenance, dumb and we weren't getting one.  She wore me down and we got one.

Fast forward to today.  We have two maltipoos and a French bulldog.  We're getting another French bulldog puppy in April.  We had to put our 13 year old lab down in December

They are all great dogs.  The older Maltipoo is kind of a lapdog princess, the 1.5 year old Maltipoo is a playful little shit and a lapdog, the Frenchie is the sweetest dog I've ever met.  I tell him he's a snugglin bulldog.  He can clear the room with farts and shits a pile the same size as a grown man.  Since I don't hunt anymore I probably won't have another big dog.  They travel well, take up less room, have all the personality of a big dog.  The youngest Maltipoo is a really good retriever.....he'd freeze to death in a cold pond, but he kills it in the living room
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI.   End Thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lab or golden
FPNI.   End Thread.

In a small yard??  sad doggy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Partial to poodles myself
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Lab/poodle mutt.

Attachment Attached File

Gunnar is the world’s best dog. So good with kids. Incredibly smart. High energy when needed. Hikes and catches frisbees.

Happy as hell to lay around like a slug the rest of the time.

Only barks at Amazon drivers and federal agents.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Boxer
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Im a belgian fan myself. But with the small yard id say a bichon. Hypoallergenic and great with kids. They are smart can be your best friend in no time
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In a small yard??  sad doggy.
View Quote
Not with kids keeping them busy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I lost my Cocker Spaniel in November and would get another one in a second, if I were ready.  

Can't believe no one has suggested the Cocker or the Irish Setter.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Who could resist a face like this?

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#10]
German Shepherd.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Did op bail on the thread?

Wondered what he was going to get.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Allie says I'm yer Huckleberry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Norwegian elkhound
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want low energy, Bullmastiff.
He is lazier than any English Bulldog I've had.
Great with kids, strangers kids.
Low shed.
Could be protective if inclined.
Rarely barks, not for a doorbell.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302943/20221225_122116_jpg-2733688.JPG
View Quote

+1 for bullmastiff, I have 2 - very lazy dogs and great with kids , have a huge yard (10 acres) but they just go outside the door to use the bathroom and then come right back inside. they probably sleep 16 hours a day lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Norwegian elkhound
View Quote

Welcome!  

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Lab
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Golden
Retrievers are the best.

Or a lab
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norwegian elkhound

Welcome!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/7cto7c-2729256.gif

Our old NE rarely wants to leave the yard, we had to get a harness to walk her because she tries to wiggle out of her collar to run back home.

When we get back home from a road trip she is beside herself with joy to be back home. She runs around the yard to make sure npothing has changed. Our previous old man NE was a homebody as well.

Our current girl in her younger days.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have the room, rescue greyhounds are great dogs (in my limited experience). They are also couch potatoes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do NOT get a dachshund.
View Quote

Depending on the age of the children a Dachshund can be a great dog with kids.  I usually recommend the children be a bit older since kids falling on the dogs back can be very detrimental to the Dachshund's health.

When I was growing up most of my relatives had Dachshunds. Good farm dogs.  Keep the vermin away and don't eat you out of house and home. They were great with  kids because they were raised around them and both dog and kid were taught to respect each other.  I've had 7.  Only 2 weren't trust worthy around very small children but were ok with respectful older kids.  One had been abused before we got home.  He eventually mellowed.  The other is better now that he's gotten older. The others were wonderful with children. Very patient.  If the kids go too rough the dogs would just walk away.  When the kids (my grand nieces) were babies, the dogs would come get us if the baby would wake/start crying in the middle of the night.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Siberian Husky
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have the room, rescue greyhounds are great dogs (in my limited experience). They are also couch potatoes.
View Quote

With the tracks shutting down, there are fewer and fewer retired racers to place. They also aren’t always the most child-appropriate dogs. Some can be, but some really can’t handle the chaos of children.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Weimaraner or German Shepherd.    Female.    Then I dare any adult to contemplate fucking with your kids or wife...
View Quote

This is the second post I read about a female German Shepherd. What is the difference with a male? My German Shepherd is a huge 123lbs male and is very easy with kids, people, cats, other dogs, etc. He wouldn't do well in a small backyard but he grew up having 5acres to run around so that could be why.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Llewellen setters are loving sweet dogs.  Timid compared to most breeds.

They are high energy though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Our house requires non-shedding/hypoallergenic.  I wanted a golden, but due to aforementioned, we have a mid sized, 45lb doodle (75%poodle/25lab/25golden).  Much higher energy than most goldens, but smart.  

I also really like Miniature Schnauzers, even though they are a bit overprotective.  The ones I had wouldn't let a stray leaf get near the house.  High alert, all the time.  Super smart, and really interesting attitude.

ETA, if your neighborhood isn't that safe and you want small, Schnauzer might be way to go.  They can be super intimidating to strangers through the door for their size, but no threat to your kids.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]

That’s a damn good looking dog, congrats.
My wife grew up with Dobies, and honestly they’re not bad family dogs, just need them trained. Same with GSD’s, though they seem more intuitive.

We have a GSD/Great Dane mix. Big gentle baby, but scary AF if you were to try anything stupid in our house. Unfortunately he’s getting older, problem for bigger dogs. But he’s been awesome.

We also have two Golden Husky mixes. From a litter by our last beautiful Golden girl. She got cancer unfortunately, miss her. We’ve had four labs over the years also. They were all great.

Labs and esp Golden’s are instant loyal, kid friendly, members of your family. Super easy to own, smart enough to train well, not loud, Golden’s shed… but it’s worth it. Not too big, but big enough, and they’re insanely tolerant of kid mischief.

I think we’ve settled on Golden’s from here out. We’ll knit a few from the hair we vacuum… but they’re a perfect balance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Weimaraner
These dogs will be velcro to your kids.
One of the most loving breeds as well.
Great protectors.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Lab or golden.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I was going to agree with "lab or golden" but then you said "neighborhood is walkable if armed."

So I'm going to say Rottweiler.   Good family dogs but not instant friends with burglars like labs.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top