Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t heard it but I’ve read about the Miami dialect which is basically Cuban Spanish translated word for word into English. WTF.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/19/miami-dialect-cuban-americans-english-spanish

Examples include people who say they are “getting down” from a vehicle, instead of getting out; “making a party” instead of hosting one; and “throwing a photograph” as opposed to simply taking it.
View Quote

Well, at least they’re using English words.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Usually the ones that exaggerate the accent to make sure you know they're southern.
View Quote

Related: people who post and purposely misspell words to sound like their accent.  "Gubbermint" is a good example, but this isn't exclusive to people with southern accents.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think different accents and dialects are interesting, and often are great conversation starters. Ghetto hood is probably the only one that I can't really stand to hear.
Funny story; I was born and raised and still live in northern Ohio. I think I have a pretty bland Midwestern accent.  A few years ago I was on vacation in Charlevoix Michigan,  and stopped at a marina to buy some bait. After making my purchases, lady behind the counter asked where I was from.  She said that she knew I was from out of town because I had such a strong "southern" accent. I hope she never runs into anyone who actually has a deep south accent!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
New York/Boston accent
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Any New York / New Jersey accent and Bahstan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Lib vocal fry
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Minnesota
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some of the Southern accents need subtitles.

View Quote

Bless your heart
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at a map of the mid-west and picture a horizontal line running, just south of Chicago, all the way across the country.

Below that line; it's all feral, guttural gibberish about NASCAR, sister-banging, and something called "The Siv-uh WORRR".  But that's just to my ear.
View Quote

Sorry, I don't understand douchiganian.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Venezuelan or cuban invaders.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I get accused of having a southern accent.
View Quote

I have a good friend from Vermont who says:"Live Free or Die" in his best NH accent-Cracks me up!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I find most all the big one's very interesting.
I like the variety.

ETA: Except that Trash Ebonics Idiot Bullshit Nonsense!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All of them
View Quote

Should have been the first post
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:12:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Baltimore
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
The Youtube accent.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Vietnamese
Just the sound of it is very irritating
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Boston/NJ/Philly
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with the Michigan accent? I’m a Detroit area native, although I’ve been in the Chicago area since 1996. IL natives tell me I have an accent, but can’t describe it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with our accent? I think it's pissah. And there's nothing like some foul mourned Boston broad cussing you out to really get ya going.

Kidding, I fucking hate the accent too and I want to punch anyone who accentuates it purposely in the mouth.

But to choose one not from my own area I would have to say Michigan.

WTF is wrong with the Michigan accent? I’m a Detroit area native, although I’ve been in the Chicago area since 1996. IL natives tell me I have an accent, but can’t describe it.

I only picked one outside my own states accent which I hate. And to put it to scale, at least I've never gotten violently angry just talking to someone from Michigan. Can't say the same about Boston. Besides politics, the accent and accentuation of it here makes me want to choke people. The worst part is I work in the trades so most of the people are heavily accented and liberal.

Eta: and don't even get me started on everyone telling you their Irish and know someone who worked for someone who saw someone once talk to whitey Bulger like it's a badge of honor. I hate this damn state and people.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Saltwater Redneck.

Also, Boston.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Anything that includes the phrase ”y’all”. Despise that phrase.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When you're from Texas, all yankees sound alike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Midwest/Chicaaaaago.  

Midwest and "Chicaaaago" are not the same.

You talk to someone from Iowa, and they will sound nothing like a person from Chicago.

Texas this and Texas that, fuck everyone that ain't from Texas huh? You ought to just capitalize it so nobody misses it in every post...TEXAS! There. Now it's  "so big!"

It is a great state on its own merits and doesn't require simping.

A bunch of people stuck on a line that hasn't existed in 150 years and "fuckin' Yankees!" as a blanket statement...bless your hearts.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Noo yawk.   Longeyelind is the worst.  North jersey is a close second.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Without reading 6 pages, I'll go with all the Spanish speaking people I encountered in my only visit to California in 05. Accents I'd say Boston. Never been to Maine but they have a unique accent.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Anything from the northeast, Chicago, ghetto or south of the border.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ebonics
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Boston and New Orleans accent. Not Cajun, I mean legit Yat accent. Very hard on the ears.
I'm from MS and have a southern accent that I'm sure a lot of people don't care for.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Vietnamese
Just the sound of it is very irritating
View Quote

LOL.  Ex wife was half.  Vietnamese parties are a trip.  All the women are typically cooking/gossiping, and the dudes are usually in another room gambling.  

I never understood how all the women could all be talking at the same time.  The food was amazing though
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m gonna pahhhhhk my cahhhhhhh
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Texas this and Texas that, fuck everyone that ain't from Texas huh? You ought to just capitalize it so nobody misses it in every post...TEXAS! There. Now it's  "so big!"

A bunch of people stuck on a line that hasn't existed in 150 years and "fuckin' Yankees!" as a blanket statement...bless your hearts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Midwest/Chicaaaaago.  

You talk to someone from Iowa, and they will sound nothing like a person from Chicago.

How do you know someone's from Texas?  Don't worry, he'll tell you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
That Great Lakes accent.  It’s bad enough with a man, but from a woman it’s nails on a chalkboard to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Add the Los Angeles "Mexican" accent. Cho know homie?

Vocal fry and up talk
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Midwest/Chicaaaaago.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to hate the Bahhstunn accent and then I had to work wit a guy from there. Must have burned out all of those sensitive noise receptors inside my ear. Same thing with the nasal or Guido Jersey/NY accent. The Nanny was on daytime/lunch T.V. back in the day and you could get an eyeful, and in reality it's just an act for the show, she speaks normal in real life.

Now ebonics,  that's a horse or another color. They just sound like trash/ idiots tryin to axe you a question. Same thing for valley girl, grew up in California,  like, gag me with spoon Brenda!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think different accents and dialects are interesting, and often are great conversation starters. Ghetto hood is probably the only one that I can't really stand to hear.
Funny story; I was born and raised and still live in northern Ohio. I think I have a pretty bland Midwestern accent.  A few years ago I was on vacation in Charlevoix Michigan,  and stopped at a marina to buy some bait. After making my purchases, lady behind the counter asked where I was from.  She said that she knew I was from out of town because I had such a strong "southern" accent. I hope she never runs into anyone who actually has a deep south accent!
View Quote

Shit she'll need a pad and paper if she ever encounters a Cajun, even then she's 50/50. listening to those boy's on the radio on the Miss was a headscratcher at times? Like that dude from King of the hill turned up to 12!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anything that includes the phrase ”y’all”. Despise that phrase.
View Quote

How about “yuns” or “yooins”. Not sure how to spell it.  As in, “what are yuns up to?”  Or, “ what are all yooins fixin to eat for supper?”
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Cajun and Boston, as soon as I hear one of those accents, I know I am dealing with an inbred, room temperature IQ fucktard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Boston...
You can be an educated guy, an physicist from MIT and Mensa president, but as soon as you open your mouth, you sound like a special needs kid with a speech impediment...

And the women are even worse.

Boston Women...
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top