Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They only used those on full sized cars. The filler neck was long and almost horizontal. When filling the tank, you had to lock the pump handle lever on Low. Otherwise, the gas backs up and shuts off the pump.  If you forget to put the gas cap back on, you'll lose at least a few gallons of gas before you stop again.  Also, you're bending way over to put gas in your car.  I'd rather do that standing up.   Pepperidge Farm remembers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas caps behind the license plate. So much cleaner

They only used those on full sized cars. The filler neck was long and almost horizontal. When filling the tank, you had to lock the pump handle lever on Low. Otherwise, the gas backs up and shuts off the pump.  If you forget to put the gas cap back on, you'll lose at least a few gallons of gas before you stop again.  Also, you're bending way over to put gas in your car.  I'd rather do that standing up.   Pepperidge Farm remembers

I don't believe that my mom's '65 2-door Olds Cutlass was regarded as a full sized car at the time.

Oh, how I wish I had that car now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The floor mounted dimmer switch might be the dumbest automotive obsession ever.

Yes, I've had them. No, I don't see one single advantage of them over column mounted switches.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For 40 years you could get into any american made car and know where the dimmer switch was. For the past 40 years you get into a car, and start guessing. Is it pulling on the turn signal stalk? Is it twisting a ring on the turn signal stalk? Is it on the second stalk on the other side from the turn signal stalk? Just where is the dimmer switch in the cars made since the 80's, the car makers keep moving it around to different places.

Another thing that is just now going away is the emergency brake. Instead of a pedal or handle, the manufacturers are starting in with these electric parking brakes, that cannot function as an emergency brake as they are either off, or on with the wheels locked up, with no way to put them on a little to slow down a moving car.. One of the things I really don't like about my 2020 Camry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is superior about the foot dimmer?  I own both.  I really don't see why people get so hot and bothered about them.

For 40 years you could get into any american made car and know where the dimmer switch was. For the past 40 years you get into a car, and start guessing. Is it pulling on the turn signal stalk? Is it twisting a ring on the turn signal stalk? Is it on the second stalk on the other side from the turn signal stalk? Just where is the dimmer switch in the cars made since the 80's, the car makers keep moving it around to different places.

Another thing that is just now going away is the emergency brake. Instead of a pedal or handle, the manufacturers are starting in with these electric parking brakes, that cannot function as an emergency brake as they are either off, or on with the wheels locked up, with no way to put them on a little to slow down a moving car.. One of the things I really don't like about my 2020 Camry.

Every car I've owned, ever (since 1998) has had the high-beams in exactly the same place. Push the turn signal stalk forward to turn on high beams, pull aft to resume normal headlights, pull further aft (spring opposed) for momentary.
As far as knowing how to turn the headlights on and off manually...it takes a maximum of maybe 20 seconds to look for it the first few times you get in the car. Not exactly a big deal.

I agree about the silly electric parking brake though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’d like to see new models of 2-door SUV’s with removable hardtops like the old Chevy K-10 Blazer and Ford Bronco did up until the early 90’s.
View Quote

Ummmm..... have you seen the new 2 door Bronco?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The fucking regular car key, with a key start ignition!!

Fuck this fob shit
View Quote
new Ev are going to face ID like your Iphone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Foot switch high beam
View Quote

Buy a car that has automatic dimmers
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Starter button.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Suicide doors
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

And no problem waiting for a pump on your fill side.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like more manual transmission options and a base and mid level trim choice for some stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
traffic light viewers
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
easy.. not on list..

analog gauges
View Quote

Exactly. Also, mechanical temp gauges. They are so nice to watch. It’s like an expensive watch in a way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Vent windows
Ford's 4.9 L inline
Metal dashboards and floorboards with full vinyl bench seat
View Quote

My 84 f150 just had an overhaul. Took the head off the 4.9 i6 and ported it, and adapted a 2 barrel carb, efi manifolds and that woke her up nicely. Less than 100,000 original miles. Should last another 100,000 with no problems. There wasn’t any problems before I modified it, just wanted some more power.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brought back?...

...how about getting rid if the last 15-20 years of feds-mandated bullshit instead
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, I've had them. No, I don't see one single advantage of them over column mounted switches.
View Quote

Being able to turn brights off or on while turning without having to reposition your hand is somewhat nice. If you aren’t driving on curvy roads much probably a non-issue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

And much less safe in rear impacts.  That was the MAIN reason they no longer exist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yes.

Bring back 2200 lb cars with 120 hp that are fun to drive, affordable and sniff 40 mpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brought back?...

...how about getting rid if the last 15-20 years of feds-mandated bullshit instead

yes.

Bring back 2200 lb cars with 120 hp that are fun to drive, affordable and sniff 40 mpg

Crashworthiness standards for cars would not allow a 2200lb car to exist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote

I grew up with foot dimmers, and I honestly don't miss them.  You have not lived until you are trying to turn a corner, downshift to second gear, and dim the lights all at the same time.   Light dimming was always the last thing to get done, often resulting in drivers flashing you.

Stalk dimmers work well, and are more convenient.  In addition, the floor mounted dimmers tended to corrode in the rust belt with all the salt water that got into them from your shoes/boots.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Analog buttons and dials on the dash. Less touch screens.
View Quote

THIS, TIMES ONE MILLION
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Sit to pee checking in.

Didn't read the entire thread, but I liked bench seats with the shift lever on the steering column preferable without an annoying hump in the center of the floor. And to heck with a very low roof line/tiny high set windows. Too claustrophobic feeling.

I would like a comfy sofa on wheels with a great view. Pleas and thank you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And much less safe in rear impacts.  That was the MAIN reason they no longer exist.
View Quote

No airbags either. We die like real men!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Full-size replacement headlamps.

I’m sick of scratched, cloudy and yellowed plastic housings.
View Quote

NEGATIVE.  The old round or rectangular glass sealed beam headlamps were FAR INFERIOR to the later bulbs that are housed in the polycarbonate housings.

If you live anywhere out in the country, those old headlamps can barely illuminate the road 50 ft. in front of the car, let along 300 feet out where you need it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fake wire wheels with special stupid key

Full size bumper jacks

T Tops

Fender directionals

View Quote

Full sized bumper jacks that lifted a 4500lb sedan were SUPER dangerous.  I DO NOT miss them at all.

I saw one of those break a couple of key rivets in the jack head, and the entire head just slid back down the notched vertical tube.   Thankfully nobody was under it when i happened.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Analog buttons and dials on the dash. Less touch screens.
View Quote

This too. And I'm alright with manual windows. The power ones that go all the way down/up instead of stopping when you stop pressing the button are annoying.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should feel bad and reconsider the list of choices.

Vent windows and ball chiller vents are obsoleted by cheap and reliable AC.  

Admittedly salt slush eats floor mounted dimmer switches, but they're cheap and easy to replace, and handy. If you're being handsy with your date and driving at night, they're the bomb.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Automobiles are more reliable and better than ever and people here yearn for the Boomer days of absolute shit cars.

The cheapest fucking Nissan versa is a better vehicle than your old shitbox of yore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I liked the 90s key pad, combination lock, on the driver door. Very useful feature for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm never selling my 3rd gen 4runner because my balls are so happy in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I liked the 90s key pad, combination lock, on the driver door. Very useful feature for me.
View Quote

This is available on every Ford.

I use it all the damn time. I can't believe it's not a thing for other auto makers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I use it all the damn time. I can't believe it's not a thing for other auto makers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did anyone other than Ford ever use it? Its been a Ford feature forever (early 90s?), and has saved my butt multiple times.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Starting handles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Factory xenon headlights
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Automobiles are more reliable and better than ever and people here yearn for the Boomer days of absolute shit cars.

The cheapest fucking Nissan versa is a better vehicle than your old shitbox of yore.
View Quote

No one gives a rats ass about your new shiny truck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Solid front axles
Real transfer cases
locking hubs
vent windows in pickup trucks
engines that don't shut off at stoplights
vehicles without onboard diagnostic ports
vehicles without check engine lights
vehicles made out of metal

I could go on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is superior about the foot dimmer?  I own both.  I really don't see why people get so hot and bothered about them.

I don’t recall ever encountering the dimmer anywhere except the turn signal stalk on newer cars.  Pull to flash, push to lock in brights.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Manual transmission
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

NEGATIVE.  The old round or rectangular glass sealed beam headlamps were FAR INFERIOR to the later bulbs that are housed in the polycarbonate housings.

If you live anywhere out in the country, those old headlamps can barely illuminate the road 50 ft. in front of the car, let along 300 feet out where you need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full-size replacement headlamps.

I’m sick of scratched, cloudy and yellowed plastic housings.

There’s no reason modern, bright headlights couldn’t be made as a sealed unit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Room to work on the engine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm going with the ball cooler vent.
View Quote

I live FL it is 87 million degrees in the summer.  Fortunately my work car has a side vent that I can angle just right.  Wish my personal vehicle did.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#41]
The automobile industry has been in a steady decline since 1980.  The cars are poorly made piles of plastic.  Yes, horsepower has increased dramatically in the past 2 decades.  However they are soul sucking appliances that are designed to be overcomplicated so you can't service and repair them yourself.

When things are simple, they are generally better.  (generally)
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Generator instead of alternator (car keeps running if battery dies).

But, from your list, I voted "ball chiller vent".
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Wing windows are the most missed feature for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brought back?...

yes.

There is more of that feds-mandated bullshit...
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yet motorcycles exist.

Lower the standards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Manual transmission and rotary engines (not the ev generator kind)
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Suicide doors
View Quote

My rx8 has them

Add targa and ttops to the list
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Cars that don't all look the exact fucking same!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Wing vent, especially when I used to smoke.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
While it's nice to be able to pull in on either side of the pump, center rear gas filler means the trunk sucks because the lid doesn't open all the way down to the bumper.

Besides the ugly ass license plate should be mounted as low as possible, not in the middle of the car height wise.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top