Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
LEDs are the answer you seek.  I never want to go back to incandescent bulbs now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Do LED's "look" like incan?  I could never stand the extra white brightness of non-incan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I had more CFL bulbs burn out in 5 years thsn incandescent bulbs in my life  (I'm 48). LED or go home now that they're affordable. CFLs blow.  Incandescent bulbs are available at dollar stores here as well as Walmart and hardware stores.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey man I got just what ya need. How many REAL lightbulbs ya want and what watt do ya need?
Just keep it on the downlow mang because the man don't like REAL lightbulbs. Are you the fuzz?
View Quote
Shut up '17er, men are working here!

Get your glowing heat source here!!! Only $20/bulb with cheap $5/ea shipping

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
leds are a LOT cheaper. You're thinking short term
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a closet full of them because they were going to be banned and didn't like the gummint telling me I can't have something that's going to be banned so I bought a shitload.  Used 3 in the past 5 years
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shut up '17er, men are working here!

Get your glowing heat source here!!! Only $20/bulb with cheap $5/ea shipping

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139520/IMG_20180102_184121407-409175.JPG
View Quote
Curses, foiled again
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have nothing but incandescents in my house because fuck enviros and the nanny state. My highest 2016 SUMMERTIME electric bill in FUCKING PHOENIX was only ~$180 (1400 sqft single level)!

Enjoy your shackles!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you. anyone retarded enough to actually want incandescent bulbs can suck up the stupid tax at 10X the electricity cost.

I have nothing but incandescents in my house because fuck enviros and the nanny state. My highest 2016 SUMMERTIME electric bill in FUCKING PHOENIX was only ~$180 (1400 sqft single level)!

Enjoy your shackles!
lol
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you  are replacing one bulb often, consider changing the bulb socket.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
LEDs suck their own tiny cocks when in an enclosed fixture.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

and LEDs cost much more and for a light which is not on all the time I just do not see the cost savings.

If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
View Quote
Sorry but you are uninformed on LED costs, energy savings and increased lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
This is my Led hallway light. Not seeing what people mean by enclosures. These are led specific lights not bulb replacementsAttachment Attached File

My 56k modem phone sucks but the light is a yellow not that bright.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
If you'r into HI-FI, LED and CFL's will suck. They introduce RFI and noise into your stereo equipment. BAH.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
On a somewhat technical note, I have been told cfl's don't like to have more than one in a fixture. I am probably all wet on this, but was told that the energy draw will cause one to blow, then the replacement one causes the older one to go, rinse repeat.

I'm sure a local arf Electrical engineer will be along to call bs, but this has been my experience. Single stand alone cfls have lasted me years. The mupli lamp setup in bathroom and master bedroom, not so much...

On a side note, local grocery store had 4pks of 60w leds for $1.98.  i have since made the switch.

Ironically, I have had a LED that was outside go out. Iirc it was a Costco Feil (sp)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey OP  I have a few big ass 400w incan lamps in aluminum reflector housings, probably warehouse or stadium lights from decades ago. The bulbs are a foot long and act as directional radiant heaters better than lights in my barn.How many you want? I replaced all the lighting with LED , because I am a dumb ass bootlicking liberal.
CFL sucked from day one, my house has one incan bulb in an old lamp my wife got from her granny.
Still got a halogen bulb in your edc pocket light??
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LEDs suck their own tiny cocks when in an enclosed fixture.
View Quote
If they only made bulbs for that...

LEDs for enclosures
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I LOL at all you fools saying LED's last forever. How long have any of you actually HAD any forever?

I have Incandescent bulbs in my house that were installed when I built it 20 years ago.

The LED may last forever, but the electronics required to run it will crap out sooner or later.

Just go ride around town and look at those LED traffic lights that half the LEDs are not working. Yeah, I bet those municipalities were told they would last forever also.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a bunch before the ban.

Buy cheap, stack deep.

Wonder if there is a market in selling them?
View Quote
wondering the same thing
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
LEDs are awesome now and a viable alternative to the squiggly bulbs. I cheat and put higher watt "equivalents" in to get more lumens. STILL saving money even going that route.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got a closet full of them because they were going to be banned and didn't like the gummint telling me I can't have something that's going to be banned so I bought a shitload.  Used 3 in the past 5 years
View Quote
Preban light bulbs
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I LOL at all you fools saying LED's last forever. How long have any of you actually HAD any forever?

I have Incandescent bulbs in my house that were installed when I built it 20 years ago.

The LED may last forever, but the electronics required to run it will crap out sooner or later.

Just go ride around town and look at those LED traffic lights that half the LEDs are not working. Yeah, I bet those municipalities were told they would last forever also.....
View Quote
I've had LEDs for years and they've already outlasted any incandescents I've had. I still haven't had an LED house bulb go out.

LEDs have been around for decades and proven themselves to last far longer than incandescent (gee, I wonder why Aimpoint uses LEDs and not incandescents in their optics). Nobody is claiming that they literally last forever.

I've had LEDs occasionally go out in electronics, usually due to crappy workmanship (I'm looking at you, Corsair) but for every LED out there would have been multiple incans out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Hardware store, box store, etc...
Do you need us to help you pee too, or can your husband help with that?

For fuck's sake. Why are some of y'all so fucking helpless?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#23]
OP,  I have a huge box full of incandescent bulbs.

They are free if you want them. I still recommend LEDs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’m with you OP.

Yeah yeah yeah, LEDs blah blah blah.  Whatever.
What pisses me off is that I no longer have the CHOICE to use 100w incandescents if I WANT to.
Halogen equivalents are available, but those are still 2x the cost of what polar ice cap melting/rainforest destroying/baby seal clubbing incandescents used to run.

‘Cheaper in the long run’...IDGAF.  That’s not the point.
I don’t WANT to buy LEDs, but I no longer have that choice... now do I?
View Quote
Do you also want the choice to light your house with coal gas or arc lamps as well?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the incandescents to keep my garage warm during the winter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I started installing LEDs back in 2009. Most expensive bulb was $35.

The power savings paid for the bulbs in 13 months, even with the lowest priced bulb at $10.

Bought my house in 2015 and had every bulb switched to LED the first day I stepped in it.

Converted my mother’s house this last year. She was a hold out because she wants stupid bright lights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LEDs you cheapo
View Quote
menards just had 4 packs of LED bulbs for 99 cents
I bought a bunch and changed every bulb in the house.

they also had regular old bulbs 4 for $2.99 (60 watt)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Incandescents are stupid, and we don't even stock them anymore. There is absolutely no reason to buy incandescents unless you need to heat something. The power draw to light output and longevity compared to LED puts them in completely different leagues. Stand on your soap box and piss away your money all you want to, but all you are doing is pissing away your money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]
CFLs do suck

but if you refuse to buy LEDs you are just being a stubborn old coot.  Incandescent bulbs are like tube TVs.

If you want to keep your yellow incandescent color use 2700k leds. 3000k for more white.

5000k is usually too 'blue' for house use but they look good in a shop envroment.

I perfer 4100k but that is hard to find in Edison base bulbs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That technology was killed by the market, not the law, there is a difference.  We have literally come to the point where the government is so bloated and intrusive that they can dictate what kind of lightbulbs you are permitted to use in your own fucking home.  You don’t see a problem with that?  The government, and the envirowhackos who run it, have no fucking right to tell me what kind of lightbulbs to use.  They don’t want me to use incandescents?  Fuck them I want to use incandescents just as a fuck you to them and their fucking communist agenda.  Also, as I said, CFLs blow ass and last no where near as long as incandescents yet cost more, and LEDs cost much more and for a light which is not on all the time I just do not see the cost savings.

If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
View Quote
Damn snowflakes, always crying when they don't get their way.

Are you pissed that they banned the use of lead in paint? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed they banned asbestos in insulation? MUH CHOICES!

Are you pissed that it's illegal to throw your garbage about the window of your truck? MUH CHOICES!

Everything is government overreach until you specifically benefit from it. Like public hunting lands. Or should corporations be free to dump on public land?

My point is that incandescent bulbs were phased out, by force, for good reason. Inefficient electrical devices add unneeded strain on our already outdated infrastructure. The technology has been surpassed, by leaps and bounds, and now you're "forced" (boohoo) to buy a product that's cheaper and more effective in the long run.

Don't like it? Light a candle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
CFLs do suck

but if you refuse to buy LEDs you are just being a stubborn old coot.  Incandescent bulbs are like tube TVs.

If you want to keep your yellow incandescent color use 2700k leds. 3000k for more white.

5000k is usually too 'blue' for house use but they look good in a shop envroment.

I perfer 4100k but that is hard to find in Edison base bulbs.
View Quote
Amazon for 4k led. I converted every bulb in the house
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Got a Costco membership? Feit LEDs are cheap and usually have a local power company rebate attached to them.

We moved into our current house 3 years ago and switched all the bulbs to Feit LEDs and haven't had a single issue with any of them.

90% of our fixtures are recessed and use BR30 flood style bulbs. 4 packs of the 65 watt equivalent LED bulbs are less than $10 at my local Costco.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#33]
CFL always lasted a couple of years or longer depending on the use. Our electric bill dropped when I put then through the house some years ago. I was surprised to see a difference,
LED's are inexpensive and I have some on the garage that have been on 24/7 for over 2 years right now, same use with CFL was a little over a year. The colors have been a little difficult for me to get right,( too white) but we seem to have them pretty good.
I don't think you can even find usable incandescent wattage any more.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Me too.  I probably have 500 100w incandescents.  Now that the LEDs have been perfected, and made cheaply, I'm buying them and haven't used a single one of my stashed 100 watters.  Dunno what I'm going to do with them.  
View Quote
Sell them to the OP
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Did you actually try to buy some before starting this thread?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-16-Pack-60-Watt-For-Or-Enclosed-Outdoor-Use-Only-Dimmable-Soft-White-A19-Incandescent-Light-Fixture-Light-Bulb/50449622

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/100-watt-light-bulbs-4-packs

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Light-Bulbs-Incandescent-Light-Bulbs/Household/N-5yc1vZbmglZ1z0xeui

Aren't you the guy who also gets lost trying to navigate Detroit?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had problems with Cree LED bulbs not lasting.  I have them all over the house.  They are certainly not lasting 5-10 years.

I, too, don't like being told what light bulbs I can't buy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sell them to the OP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  I probably have 500 100w incandescents.  Now that the LEDs have been perfected, and made cheaply, I'm buying them and haven't used a single one of my stashed 100 watters.  Dunno what I'm going to do with them.  
Sell them to the OP
This. There are going to be holdouts and incan neckbearders for years.

Quoted:
I've had problems with Cree LED bulbs not lasting.  I have them all over the house.  They are certainly not lasting 5-10 years.

I, too, don't like being told what light bulbs I can't buy.
Check your wiring. I've had certain fixtures kill incans and CFLs like clockwork.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I have boxes of 100w and 75w prebans..

Suck it polar ice caps.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I had CFLs last 10 years and we're still fine when I moved. I haven't bought CFLs in at least 5 years and still have some left over because they last damn near forever. I'm going to LED'S mostly because I don't like all the soft white bulbs the previous owner had installed and the prices are so low there is no reason not to.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got to Lowe's and find the no name brand LED bulb bulk packs. You can usually get 8-10 bulbs for $10-$15 bucks. That was the first thing we did when we moved into the house. We still have 3 bulbs that are incandescent but everything else is LED.
View Quote
THIS  the LED's OUTPERFORM standard and CFLs.  CFLS are GARBAGE and should NEVER be used.  Get a box of GE LEDs from walmart for $8 you will LOVE them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't like the government telling me what bulbs to use either so I stockpiled a generous amount of them before they were banned.  Now they sit in the corner of my garage unused along with my case of preban four loko.  LEDs are great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got to Lowe's and find the no name brand LED bulb bulk packs. You can usually get 8-10 bulbs for $10-$15 bucks. That was the first thing we did when we moved into the house. We still have 3 bulbs that are incandescent but everything else is LED.
View Quote
Utilitech.  Those bulk packs are cheap and awesome.  Good quality but non-dimmable.

Avoid Ecosmart from HD.  I have a pile of them that died in the first month and got a refund.

I have a pair of CFLs that are in my basement that have been on constantly 3+ years.  That's how they last.  Otherwise they suck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#45]
OP really needs them for his Easy Bake oven.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I love using the 100 watters as a heat source.  I don't think LEDs can do this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I buy 100w lightbulbs on ebay by the case.  Fuck LED
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Incandescents are great in the winter time, they have the benefit of giving off heat along with good light.

Maybe some of the antis will give you their evil old bulbs if they haven't taken them to the bulb buybacks....
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#49]
You don’t want regular bulbs. They do not last nearly as long as they used to. Go get some Walmart brand leds and be happy. My first 4 of them is two years old now and have not had to replace one yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm with you OP.

Yeah yeah yeah, LEDs blah blah blah.  Whatever.
What pisses me off is that I no longer have the CHOICE to use 100w incandescents if I WANT to.
Halogen equivalents are available, but those are still 2x the cost of what polar ice cap melting/rainforest destroying/baby seal clubbing incandescents used to run.

'Cheaper in the long run'...IDGAF.  That's not the point.
I don't WANT to buy LEDs, but I no longer have that choice... now do I?
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • 8-pack of 100-watt medium base (E26) A19 Incandescent lamps
  • Soft White bulb with warm color for regular everyday light
  • Provides approximately 1690 lumens of light, illuminating your environment around you

damn that was tough.  of course, you will have a hard time writing a check for it
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top